Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 4, 2021 7:36 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
WELCOME BACK, Uma Musume: Pretty Derby! To your 2nd outing and all the horsegirls we know and love.

This time, it's the Senpai horsegirls of Team Spica (blame Trainer for always getting the loss) leading the young-uns for an open house, and the particular horsegirl on display for Season 2's start: Tokai Teio, always looking up to Student Council President Symboli Rudolf, and proving the inspiration birthed from her from young. Heal that left leg soon after winning another important undefeated-run race.

Otherwise, everything else is the same if you watched Season 1...except on the scenes that look close to low-tier 3DCG, because there's a new studio in session: Studio KAI (Cagaster of an Insect Cage). But not to worry, because P.A. Works is still handling in production cooperation, so rest assured.

For the most part of Season 1, it has always been in-between Special Week and Silence Suzuka, so it's good that Season 2 starts off being different and expanding on its large character cast.

What a great start to yet another horsegirl seasonal show.
KANLen09Jan 11, 2021 8:25 PM
Jan 4, 2021 8:15 AM

Apr 2010
Well so far it was nice to see the girls again tho they way the episode went i knew something was wrong i guess next week we will get some bad news.
Hopefully it won't be to bad.

It was also nice to see the young girls, it's always nice to see such ambition and we might see more from them.
Anyway looking forward to the rest of the anime.
Jan 4, 2021 9:02 AM

Mar 2019
Finally our horse girls are back in fully length (not only the short chibi version)...what a great song by Teiou and great comeback! But the injury looks bad, really bad...The next generation are so cuuute and adorable. Awww

Did you know on 26th May 1991 a horse (3 years old at that time) started on the 8th line in the Derby and finished the race three horse length ahead of the second place?
Jan 4, 2021 9:59 AM

Sep 2019
Kitasan Black is so cute. I liked the first season's animation better but this episode's was good as well. I loved Teiou's song, it was great. It was a good first episode.
Jan 4, 2021 10:06 AM

Apr 2014
Cute and intense horse racing anime is back. Nice to see other girls get more spotlight other than Special Week and Suzuka.

Congratulations to Teio for winning the Derby. It's the result of her talents, efforts, and her luck with those hard training. Her injury doesn't look too good. I hope her leg will be healed soon otherwise it will affect her future races. A tough time is waiting for her.
何それ?意味分かんない
Jan 4, 2021 10:15 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It seems to have a different focus than the first season, the rest is the same except the CGI moments (and they're a bit disappointing to be honest, but nothing major) cool start for this new season
Jan 4, 2021 10:21 AM

Oct 2017
Awwww my precious Uma girls are back and this was a nice start. Looks like we might get focus on other girls this time but I hope we do get episode focused on Special Week and Silence Suzuka cause I love em both.
Jan 4, 2021 11:10 AM

Nov 2016
All around a nice start, almost forgot how fun this series is. Not to mention the amusing quirks and great character designs.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 4, 2021 12:01 PM
Nov 2018
Nice Change They Decided to Change Main Character we get to See Teio. How She was Tiny and That She Respects Her Role Model and Inspired her to be just like her Nice to See New Generation and The Cute Little Horse Girls
Over All Sad that Original Main Character S1 Didn't get much of her saying nothing much but hope next weeks episode she gets a little bit more but still like Teio it was obvious that something went wrong when she stop for a moment and decided to Sprunt at that last turn Love The Song Hope The Injury is not That Serious because it will cost her Future Races. Hope She is Ok.
Jan 4, 2021 12:05 PM

Apr 2015
The horse girls are back, loving to see these great designs again. Honestly was such a surprise to see this get included this season on such short notice!

The focus will be on Teiou this time around, definitely a nice change, but I do hope we get to see some Special Week goodness as well.

Damn it's only the first episode, this foreshadowing is already not doing Teiou any good. Something is up with her leg and it will most likely need to heal before she can race again. (Already having Silence Suzuka flashbacks)
Jan 4, 2021 12:13 PM

Aug 2013
I skipped it when I was looking at seasonal chart initially, somehow.
I didn't even know that 2nd season was planned. Anyway, nice start. And it doesn't look that bad without PA Works too. Too bad that they didn't animate whole idol segment, because animation there was great (unlike these ugly 3D running segments).
rsc-plJan 4, 2021 12:55 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 4, 2021 12:16 PM

Jan 2015
I missed this so much!
So Teio will be the main focus instead of Special Week I guess?
Can’t wait for more

And damn, the blue haired girl looked nice
Jan 4, 2021 12:23 PM
Nov 2019
I hope special week shows up more in the next few episodes or as the season progresses
Jan 4, 2021 2:45 PM
May 2018
I am kind worry it will be again like with Suzaku... Oh noh mah LEG is hurt and I can't run plot.
Hope it won't fully go that path...
Jan 4, 2021 3:26 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
A big fan of Teiou being the focus this time, and it was a strong episode 1. I like the new characters as well, looks like it could be a great season.
Jan 4, 2021 3:38 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
so i guess Suppeshiaru Uiiku isn't the main character anymore?

i mean, Tokai Teio is a pretty badass name and shes kawaii as fuck.........

.... like all of them.....

so w/e XD
Jan 4, 2021 3:45 PM

Sep 2016
I miss PA Works.

Nonetheless it’s nice to see our horses back on screen.
From what I know from the history of those horses... yeah.
Jan 4, 2021 5:36 PM

Oct 2008
i'm ready and geared-up for S2!
Tokai Teiou for MC this time!? i couldn't ask for more!
here we go!
5/5!
matias067Jan 4, 2021 5:47 PM

Jan 4, 2021 6:28 PM
Feb 2018
It looks like it will be as good as the first one. I'm just sad Spe is not the MC anymore, I wanted to see her grow even more(and win some races lol), but it's interesting to see things from another perspective(fracture arc?).
Jan 4, 2021 6:33 PM

Jan 2011
just as good as the first season, though it seems like our focus is on Teiou now everything was setting up for a loss but she won it but already foresshadowing her leg wont be shocked that at least one of the main cast retires they seem to want to continue taking from history...so you might be able to find of the fates before hand of some of them.

will say this show still manages to throw random bits that have me dying like that woman getting her hair done
Jan 4, 2021 8:26 PM

Oct 2020
Glad to have a S2 of this anime. Seems like this season will be focused on Teio? Don't know what it is about Oguri Cap but seeing her in the background with a mountain of food always make me smile. Twin Turbo's design is interesting but those teeth idk.

Jan 4, 2021 9:33 PM

Apr 2015
Great first episode, it was cute seeing Tokai being cheery and looking up to Rudolf.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jan 4, 2021 9:37 PM

Nov 2018
I thought Special Week was coming back to accomplish her goals, but I guess she's a side character now, and apparently not a real competitor, feels bad! New MC is cute. Unfortunately, her story feels kinda rushed so far without a proper introduction (skips from filly to already winning a second race). Hopefully they'll fill in some backstory later. CGI was pretty bad this time, I didn't notice that problem in S1. Not a great start... I'll give it a chance to improve. 3/5
miniikaJan 4, 2021 9:41 PM
Jan 4, 2021 10:52 PM
Dec 2020
It's a nice change of pace to start off this season 2 with a new MC and a great win. With teio and maybe mcqueen as mc, it's going to be fun to watch where it will go
Jan 4, 2021 11:16 PM

Mar 2019
Same Energy, Different Year??

Absurd...

Energy x100, Different Year....

Episode 1 MVP: Gold Ship, of course.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jan 5, 2021 4:22 AM

Jun 2016
prettty good starting for this series!!!

i still curious ,where did uma musume come from ??

horse x human female or what ?
Jan 5, 2021 4:32 AM
Sep 2019
Oh no, i guess to much training make her leg hurt.
Jan 5, 2021 4:35 AM

Aug 2019
Horse girls are back and Teio being the MC of second season surprised me, a good first ep(tho the CGI is a bit disappointing), i hope i will see an episode of Spe and Suzuka.
Jan 5, 2021 5:37 AM
Jan 2017
NirvashX1 said:

I think something about it was in the beginning of the first season. Souls of racehorses are reborn as horse girls.
Jan 5, 2021 6:07 AM

Feb 2014
It was a surprise to see this series get a second season, from the initial announcement to airing, so quickly, but I'd say that the first episode has gotten off to a pretty good start.

Gold Ship being herself is always funny, from travelling on her segway and her rubix cube fixation, but it was nice to have the main spotlight on Tokai Teio and how she was inspired to become a racehorse after the success of Rudolph.

Despite having a bad starting position, Teio was able to win with ease, although her left foot, also noticed by her trainer and the others, doesn't look right. Whether this potential injury will hurt her chances of achieving her main goal or not, who knows.

I didn't look at the main staff in too much detail, but Studio Kai is in charge of this second season, although P.A Works still gets credited. The main visuals and animation are still good, although the CGI is a downgrade compared to the first season. However, the idol performance at the end had some very smooth animation without relying on CGI for the characters, just like Dropout Idol Fruit Tart did in the previous season.

Although this main Winter season is filled to the point of bursting, I still think that Uma Musume season 2 will be the underrated surprise of the season, just like the first season was back in 2018. =)
Jan 5, 2021 7:36 AM

Mar 2009
It's funny how the real life horse counterparts spoil the anime.

Special Week seems like a background character now. Is this a parallel story, or does it take place after the first season?
Jan 5, 2021 9:32 AM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
Ship maintains her status of Absolute Legend with that entrance 😆
“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
Jan 5, 2021 10:10 AM

Apr 2012
Mila-112 said:
NirvashX1 said:

I think something about it was in the beginning of the first season. Souls of racehorses are reborn as horse girls.

NirvashX1 said:

The authors have long discussed this on stream. Horse boys don't exist, so horse girls either have a relationship with human males, or they are artificially fertilized. It all depends on the girl's feelings or the needs of her coach. One way or another, the authors avoid giving more direct answers to the origin of this or that horse girl in order to avoid unwanted implications.
Jan 5, 2021 10:15 AM
Sep 2019
I was super excited when I watch this new season. Teoi is so cute and cool. But I'm having a bad feeling that something bad might happen to her.
Jan 5, 2021 3:52 PM

Mar 2014
here we go the inevitable wounded horse drama.
Jan 5, 2021 8:35 PM

Nov 2012
Looks like Special Week isn't this season's focus. I like that. Feeling sorry for Teio.
Jan 5, 2021 10:42 PM
Oct 2018
since of 1st season appeared Teio did.Now in 2nd Season Teio and Mcqueen they are Rival of the 2nd season.
Jan 5, 2021 10:51 PM

Jan 2021
Mormegil said:

Special Week seems like a background character now. Is this a parallel story, or does it take place after the first season?

The horse died during the first season so they decided to cut her out. For me, it's rather eerie or weird how they didn't inherited just some characteristics like the Shipgirls from KanColle with a free (new) history otherwise. Especially after such decisions. Special Week was turned to glue in RL? Ok, then she will be dead for the franchise too. At least the writers refuse to explain what happens with the horsegirls after their career or how they get bred.

On the other hand, I'm not happy with Teio as the MC either. She just doesn't seem strong enough to be able to carry the show. The first episode was nice, but felt like an arc about side characters until the real story proceeds.
SetealJan 6, 2021 2:13 AM
Jan 6, 2021 2:38 AM

Apr 2012
Seteal said:
Mormegil said:

The horse died during the first season so they decided to cut her out. For me, it's rather eerie or weird how they didn't inherited just some characteristics like the Shipgirls from KanColle with a free (new) history otherwise. Especially after such decisions. Special Week was turned to glue in RL? Ok, then she will be dead for the franchise too. At least the writers refuse to explain what happens with the horsegirls after their career or how they get bred.

On the other hand, I'm not happy with Teio as the MC either. She just doesn't seem strong enough to be able to carry the show. The first episode was nice, but felt like an arc about side characters until the real story proceeds.

Lol, this is a franchise with a bunch of waifus, do you think they will endlessly keep anime at the expense of 2-3 girls? Compare to IMAS, where the anime has been split into arcs of different units.
Jan 6, 2021 6:14 AM

Jan 2021
RobertBobert said:

Lol, this is a franchise with a bunch of waifus, do you think they will endlessly keep anime at the expense of 2-3 girls?

As sad as it sounds, that's the premise for most franchises. Imagine KF without Serval or Strike Witches with Erica as the MC instead of Miyafuji. Spin-offs are the right place to expand the franchise further, but Uma Musume is marketed as an S2.

I'm more concerned with Teio though, not the new cast in general. Her whole character screams for a side role, and there are other horses who would be better suited as the protagonist.
Jan 6, 2021 6:18 AM

Apr 2012
Seteal said:
RobertBobert said:

Lol, this is a franchise with a bunch of waifus, do you think they will endlessly keep anime at the expense of 2-3 girls?

As sad as it sounds, that's the premise for most franchises. Imagine KF without Serval or Strike Witches with Erica as the MC instead of Miyafuji. Spin-offs are the right place to expand the franchise further, but Uma Musume is marketed as an S2.

I'm more concerned with Teio though, not the new cast in general. Her whole character screams for a side role, and there are other horses who would be better suited as the protagonist.

Well, even if we forget that Strike WItches was more focused on "her story" than Uma Musume as an adaptation of the game, in general, as I recall, many were saddened that the anime focused too much on 5-6 characters ... Not as much as Azur Lane, thought, because of which many even became annoyed with Enty, but nonetheless.

Well, in the first season, it made even less sense for her to be in the main cast. Personally, I would not mind if the new season is completely focused on adult horses like oneesan. It would be fresh and original.
Jan 6, 2021 10:42 AM

Sep 2018
I have to watch the first season, but that's okay. First of all, I'm happy that my lucky "mares" are back, then I found this first episode, so skin-tight, quite full of humor and nice and new characters. The quality of the drawings is not bad, instead the CG sucks a bit, the setting of the direction suggests that the protagonists will be the characters of Teio and McQueen, but I hope that the other characters of the Spica team are not lost too.
Jan 7, 2021 3:40 AM

Mar 2018
Not really liking the new main character shift. I want Special Week back. The races are just as good though and the animation is real good too, save for some CGI.
Jan 7, 2021 2:26 PM
Oct 2015
AkeZZZ said:
Cute and intense horse racing anime is back. Nice to see other girls get more spotlight other than Special Week and Suzuka.

Congratulations to Teio for winning the Derby. It's the result of her talents, efforts, and her luck with those hard training. Her injury doesn't look too good. I hope her leg will be healed soon otherwise it will affect her future races. A tough time is waiting for her.
I actually prefer Special Week as the MC. Teio just doesn't seem like she can carry this season as a MC.
Jan 8, 2021 11:32 AM

May 2018
Oh man, they just used the same plot, but different characters.
Jan 9, 2021 11:03 AM

Mar 2018
nobody gonna mention that sick outro? retroscoping was really good imo and it slapped
Jan 9, 2021 5:08 PM
Jan 2021
I was quite surprised when I discovered that Special Week isn't the main character of this season.
Jan 9, 2021 6:54 PM
Mar 2012
Surprisingly funny, keeps vibe from s1 even on new studio.
Besides SW & Suzuka, barely any impression on the others. Nice animation esp the banger winning song.
Tired of sports tropes & large cast, maybe sports genre isn't my thing anymore.
Jan 10, 2021 11:38 PM

Oct 2007
feels very cliched with Teio winning, then showing the leg shiver at the end.. drama is obviously incoming. But still.. this is Uma Musume! so will watch for a bit.
Jan 11, 2021 4:26 AM

Aug 2017
so first Teio gets to be a famous racer like her idol Rudolf, and now she gets to be an idol to someone else too. (fun fact: irl Symboli Rudolf was Tokai Teio's dad). I'm guessing it's gonna be the usual? idol gets injured, pretends it's fine, makes it worse, misses the gig.

the little horsegirls, Teio's roommate, and sleepy Suzuka were cute. needs more Vodka, though.

that ending song was better than it had any right to be.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jan 11, 2021

49 by Kira_yoshikage04 »»
Mar 24, 12:55 AM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2021

59 by itsmepee »»
Mar 12, 11:03 AM

» The hairdresser is underappreciated

Allsaints112 - Feb 2

3 by AntiSadboi »»
Feb 2, 10:18 PM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2021

96 by moxxipoxxi »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:44 PM

» Do I need to see season 1 before watching season 2?

Reshiram_IX - Oct 9, 2023

9 by BongointheKongou »»
Oct 10, 2023 6:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.