Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 4, 2021 10:07 AM

Mar 2016
Weird and fun. I think I'll like it.
Jan 4, 2021 10:08 AM

Dec 2020
Decent episode but that cgi was honestly very bad
Jan 4, 2021 10:09 AM
Dec 2020
Hmmmmmmmm

I like. Nice adaptation
Jan 4, 2021 10:19 AM

Mar 2019
A pretty solid first episode, OP is great!
I'm liking the two MC's so far, none more than the other, they're both great.
Am I the only one who noticed how much CGI they used, especially for the far away shots of them? It felt kinda lazy, especially when any other studio would've just animated that traditionally, but oh well.
Jan 4, 2021 10:24 AM

Apr 2017
Solid start. Haven't read the manga or novel, so don't have anything to compare it to.

I think what I enjoyed most was that there were no infodump moments where everything slows to a crawl? Seems to me like it's a "learn as you go and maybe a bit from the past" type of show.

The CGI was noticeable when it happened but not bad IMO. I'd rather the animators make closeup shots and action sequences visually interesting, than wasting time trying to manually animate shots from far away.
Jan 4, 2021 10:35 AM

Aug 2015
This is my second Shoujo AI Anime but I will ignore that it is Shoujo AI and continue with the show.

So far, it is very interesting and I enjoyed the mystery aspect that was present. I also like the two MCs that were introduced.

Let's see how the show progresses!
AyyMayyJan 4, 2021 11:01 AM
#FreePalestine 🇵🇸
Jan 4, 2021 10:43 AM

Jan 2014
Interesting first episode for sure, didn't mind how it looked or sounded, as it felt fine far as I'm concerned, even if I can see how some of the points were made, but we'll just have to see as the series goes on. More curious on all these wiggle-waggles in general.
Jan 4, 2021 10:46 AM
Jul 2018
This kinda reminds me of Flip Flappers but so far I don't really don't know how feel about this episode. Hopefully later episodes explain what's happening.
Jan 4, 2021 10:46 AM

Jul 2020
So far, it is solid, the characters' first impressions are.... alright, gonna have to continue with the series to find out if I really like them. The music really carries this show, it really gives off that uneasiness. I will admit, the presentation of the story was a bit weird, but I will give it a pass. Hopefully, it stays interesting.
Jan 4, 2021 10:51 AM
Mar 2020
Very underwhelming start, the cgi was jarring, animation was just subpar. But I can tolerate it, curious how the show progresses
Jan 4, 2021 10:53 AM

Nov 2016
It was so Good, it's so much better than the stink male lead of harem isekai :P

Why the score is so low? T_T
Jan 4, 2021 10:53 AM

Sep 2018
A pretty shaky start for an anime, usage of stiff CGI is the most certain way to lose the interest of an audience. Some of the eerie, dimensional audio clips were really good, but aside from that there's not much to praise. Seems like a good wlw adaptation is still an unreachable dream...
Jan 4, 2021 10:58 AM

Jul 2015
I knew this elevator ride was inspired by creepypasta.
https://www.wattpad.com/amp/72803366

Jan 4, 2021 11:01 AM

Oct 2020
Nice little anime with Girls' Last Tour vibes, will continue watching!
Jan 4, 2021 11:18 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm being trapped in another world with monsters huh quite the sticky situation. Nice OP from Chico as well. But despite their sudden meeting the chemistry between the two sure is forming well. The elevator scenes sure were fun. But man the confrontation that they had with Wiggle Waggle in the end sure was a tense one. The delayed reaction though was hillarious. Overall a pretty good opening ep and im loving the chemistry between Sorao and Toriko already.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2021 11:21 AM
May 2016
loved this episode, animation was pretty good outside of the CGI(though that was thankfully used for distance shots, likely just a time saving measure).

Pacing could've been better, but hopefully later episodes rectify this, first episodes are hard anyway

The ED and OP were amazing, I can't wait to see more of this show
Jan 4, 2021 11:23 AM
May 2016
KitsuYurikano said:
It was so Good, it's so much better than the stink male lead of harem isekai :P

Why the score is so low? T_T

probably still early, hopefully in a day or two it'll increase to the 7 or 8 section where it belongs
Jan 4, 2021 11:28 AM

Dec 2019
Not too much to say about this one, the story seems interesting enough and the characters are ok I guess.
Jan 4, 2021 11:29 AM
May 2016
Varjosoturi said:
A pretty shaky start for an anime, usage of stiff CGI is the most certain way to lose the interest of an audience. Some of the eerie, dimensional audio clips were really good, but aside from that there's not much to praise. Seems like a good wlw adaptation is still an unreachable dream...

" Seems like a good wlw adaptation is still an unreachable dream...," what are you talking about?! Bloom Into You and Adachi and Shimamura are a thing, and those adaptations were great.

Otherside's adaptation has also been pretty decent from the one episode. The CGI was bad, I admit, and there were some minor issues, but there's also a ton of great, like the 2D artwork/animation is nice, the backgrounds are great, the music is great, the abstract moments and such were great.

The series could cr*p the bed, but I'm not throwing in the towel yet, so don't get all jaded on me soldier
Jan 4, 2021 11:34 AM

Jul 2020
KANLen09 said:
@Syureria AFAIK, this is inspired from this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic

So it adds the whole mystery, adventure fantasy element to it.

@p4rad0x- LEL I forgot to add it in on the last minute, as LN readers they will be pissed at me 1st if I left it as is.

Immediately thought of Roadside Picnic first few minutes in. The similarities to Russian sci-fi were too blatant to ignore. I'm loving this so far, hope it doesn't disappoint.

Also, if anyone wants to watch something similar, check out Stalker (and probably Solaris too) by Tarkovsky.
Jan 4, 2021 11:35 AM

May 2017
Thought it was ight, looking forward to learning more about the otherworld and stuff...and a little bit of that yuri vibe too
Jan 4, 2021 11:46 AM

Aug 2017
Not bad, it certainly caught my attention. The characters so far are fine and the story looks interesting to explore.
Jan 4, 2021 11:58 AM

Sep 2018
NG_Chloe said:
Varjosoturi said:

" Seems like a good wlw adaptation is still an unreachable dream...," what are you talking about?! Bloom Into You and Adachi and Shimamura are a thing, and those adaptations were great.

Otherside's adaptation has also been pretty decent from the one episode. The CGI was bad, I admit, and there were some minor issues, but there's also a ton of great, like the 2D artwork/animation is nice, the backgrounds are great, the music is great, the abstract moments and such were great.

The series could cr*p the bed, but I'm not throwing in the towel yet, so don't get all jaded on me soldier

Neither of those adaptations is a good anime. Both of them are dreadfully boring & describe lesbian relationships unnaturally. What do the adaptations have in common? An uninterested girl gets "together" with a touch-starved creep because they're too unbothered and opposed to conflict to say no. That's not good representation... I'm not familliar with either source, so I can't reach out to events happening after the adaptation, but as we're talking anime-only I can say that from a subjective viewpoint I did not enjoy either one of those series.

Lack of enjoyment was also the biggest factor with my dissatisfaction for the start of Urasekai Picnic. First episode is defintely too early to judge a show entirely, but from what I've seen so far it did not conform to my expectations. The cast is boring, the 2D art is mediocre and the overall picture failed to pique my interest. But I guess if I end up liking this show after all you can come at me with an "in your face"...
Jan 4, 2021 12:28 PM
May 2016
Varjosoturi said:
NG_Chloe said:

Neither of those adaptations is a good anime. Both of them are dreadfully boring & describe lesbian relationships unnaturally. What do the adaptations have in common? An uninterested girl gets "together" with a touch-starved creep because they're too unbothered and opposed to conflict to say no. That's not good representation... I'm not familliar with either source, so I can't reach out to events happening after the adaptation, but as we're talking anime-only I can say that from a subjective viewpoint I did not enjoy either one of those series.

Lack of enjoyment was also the biggest factor with my dissatisfaction for the start of Urasekai Picnic. First episode is defintely too early to judge a show entirely, but from what I've seen so far it did not conform to my expectations. The cast is boring, the 2D art is mediocre and the overall picture failed to pique my interest. But I guess if I end up liking this show after all you can come at me with an "in your face"...

I disagree with the thought that Bloom and Adachi were boring, and I find it unlikely that you would know much about lesbian relationships, mostly because you listed yourself as male on your account
Jan 4, 2021 12:40 PM

Sep 2018
NG_Chloe said:
Varjosoturi said:

I disagree with the thought that Bloom and Adachi were boring, and I find it unlikely that you would know much about lesbian relationships, mostly because you listed yourself as male on your account

I may not know about lesbian relationships specifically, but I do know about healthy ones. And that's defintely not what Adachi to Shimamura or Bloom Into You were. All I want is some realistic, wholesome, relatable LGBT+ representation and I'm not settling for calling edgy run-of-the-mill borderline romance good just because the industry has nothing better to offer.
Jan 4, 2021 12:42 PM

Aug 2013
Oh God. I hope that saving budget like this won't become a trend. That 3D models were extremely distracting.

Anyway, it looks interesting. Japanese urban legends are great. Too bad that they didn't dig more into kunekune.

Btw I'd recommend using official subs from ani-one. Yet again they are much better than Funishit.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 4, 2021 12:52 PM

Aug 2020
guns, girls, n' wiggle-waggles, what more could you ask for?
clannad is the greatest piece of fiction to ever exist.
Jan 4, 2021 12:56 PM

Apr 2015
Interesting start, with rather intriguing world(s). I am most curious about that for now. It looks kinda creepy and freaky at times, especially that elevator sequence. What in the world..

Animation is okay, a bit of use of 3D but honestly used for far away background shots. Not too much of a bother.

Characters are okay so far, they are backed by 2 amazing voice actresses.

Probably will keep watching, world already has me interested.

Jan 4, 2021 12:58 PM
May 2016
Varjosoturi said:
NG_Chloe said:

I may not know about lesbian relationships specifically, but I do know about healthy ones. And that's defintely not what Adachi to Shimamura or Bloom Into You were. All I want is some realistic, wholesome, relatable LGBT+ representation and I'm not settling for calling edgy run-of-the-mill borderline romance good just because the industry has nothing better to offer.

it's good to have standards, but it's also good not be too picky. I know that when you're in your teens it's easy to imagine what a perfect relationship is like, but that image can't exist in reality, and especially not in story-telling(unless said relationship is purely a subplot or sidenote).

The relationships in Adachi and Shimamura and Bloom into You weren't perfect, Adachi was a little too clingy, as was Touko, but it's not like each relationship isn't going to have flaws, and in Adachi and Shimamura's case, they acknowledge it, but for the time being it's fine for both of them, the source material isn't complete, but I bet they'll grow out of the clingy part.

Since I've only read Bloom's manga, I know that Touko and Yuu have a very healthy relationship by the end.
Jan 4, 2021 1:35 PM
Apr 2019
The Episode gave me a more negative expression. I was most of the time very confused and didn't got the plot clearly. For me it seemed like they smashed everything together and only tried to make things clear which turned out bad.

But the Episode did had some interesting looking scenes. The Artstyle isn't very special, but the background and effects gives a better Aspect.

Toriko and Soaro are very cute looking and they have a good personality. But because of my confusion I have no idea what I REALLY should think of them. They didn't do a good introduction to them and makes me more confused and it does slowly irritate me in some way.

Conclusion: The Episode looked good but it was very hard to understand everything

(If I said something wrong, not clearly or anything else then a correction would be very helpful to develop my knowledge about the Anime or Anime in general)
that_alien_linJan 6, 2021 4:08 AM
Jan 4, 2021 1:42 PM
Oct 2020
Its actually not that bad in my opinion, but the CGI is kind of iffy on some parts.
Jan 4, 2021 1:59 PM
Jan 2019
Is it only me or is this an anime rendering of "Roadside picnic" by Strugatsky brothers?
Jan 4, 2021 2:13 PM
Nov 2020
I expected something better..... since I'm fan of both LN and manga
But it still has amazing original material and and anime does show its potential at some moments

3D works sucks, but bearable
Nice OP&ED, voice acting was fine....
I suppose it would've been much better show if liden film focused on fewer anime in winter season

Anyway we just can't ignore this yuri, SF, thriller, creepy pasta-ish horror mixed up show
So rare that we don't know if we could get this kind of shows again
Jan 4, 2021 2:40 PM

Jun 2019
I read nothing about it going in so I wasn’t expecting this.

I like that there some personality in the direction and shot layouts. The premise is certainly interesting, but mystery/fantasy stories are more about how they develop upon their premise. I also thought that the music added to the eerie atmosphere.

I’m not onboard with the characters though. They seem pretty typical and that blonde girl is 100% not a normal human.
Jan 4, 2021 2:43 PM
Sep 2020
Kosmonaut said:
Yeah, I knew it would be hard to convey the atmosphere and overall feeling of the source to the adaptation. The production values aren't that low, to be honest, but the Kunekune arc in this episode just felt... Lackluster. No tension, what, even when taking into account the different rules under which different media operate, should be one of the most essential reactions to incite in viewers in a thriller.

In the source, you could from the get go feel that the Kunekune is dangerous, even when you don't know much about it, but, in this episode, it didn't have that weight. I'd say that's because when you experience the POV of someone who's frightened, you can feel the anxiety. Visual media can't rely on that. It's hard to translate it into a visual medium without using, you know, medium appropriate means to convey that anxious, lingering feeling. Changing very little could have done a lot more, like a closer inspection of the corpse by the dirt path to notice the fingers were trying to rip the eyes out (I'm pretty sure they were portrayed as being on the forehead) would also serve as a lampshade for future episodes. Or not making multiple kunekune just pop into existence like a pokemon, but instead being only one far away, barely still on screen, coming slowly closer, then they notice it. Visual suspense is built on elongation, on letting beats linger, I couldn't see that effort.

Still, I was surprised by the visuals (despite the janky CG in distant view shots) and the voice acting wasn't half as bad as it could've been. BGM felt a bit off at times, but did most of the work on the 'spook building' front. My biggest gripes are with how they're building - or not building - the atmosphere and the suspense so far.

for me, part of made the thriller/horror/action side falter was the ill-advised cuts of ‘humor’ (in quotes bcs it...wasn’t funny?) or other frivolous ‘moe’ insert scenes. There is literally no reason for comedy in the middle of fighting the KuneKune

I hope this changes in a few episodes or I’ll have to drop this show and just read them manga.
Jan 4, 2021 2:43 PM
Sep 2020
ynote said:
Is it only me or is this an anime rendering of "Roadside picnic" by Strugatsky brothers?

it’s loosely based off that, yes.
Jan 4, 2021 2:52 PM

Apr 2016
Always fun to see how people jump to so many conclusions based on a first episode and state those with such certainty while being completely off the mark. Or complain about stuff being too random and not well enough explained and it not making enough sense. It makes total sense to not have a god narrator explain more about the world to us than to the characters that are still learning and figuring shit out about it as they go. But hey, some people seem to absolutely need a 15 minute exposition dump in the first episode, best served with a short preview of the ending of the series.

Or how some are complaining that for example Sorawo doesn't have any character development during the first episode after meeting Toriko. Well why the fuck would she? Sorawo has actually lived a life without Toriko for 20 years and it takes more for a person to change than a few days with a stranger they just met. Doesn't that make sense? I'm happy that for once we have relationship that develops at a more realistic pace.

Also funny how some immediately jump to the conclusion that Toriko has good communication skills with a sample size of 1 episode. I get it, some anime follow every trope in the book and some of those conclusions would actually be correct (though even in those cases they would still be premature) but Urasekai Picnic is not that conventional. ^^ (not harking on anyone here who's just speculating, just to be clear :) )

My evaluation of the episode:
It was alright. I love the novels and I actually found them quite creepy and actually scary many times. That atmosphere sadly didn't translate into the anime as of yet. Unfortunately, the creepiest things were the PS2 rendered CGI models of the characters...
The 2D animation and characters are nicely drawn though and overall I like the art style, voice acting is also pretty nice. I would have hoped that the mental effects that the Otherside beings/phenomena have on the characters would have been visualized in a more artsy and surreal way, but in the end it just looked quite generic. Not bad, but far from outstanding. It's something that I feel is very hard to translate from a novel to an anime but I think it could have been done a lot better instead of bog standard.

I like the OP and ED, the sountrack overall hasn't captured me yet but it might still. It hasn't disappointed me so far. ^^

One last complaint is the travel to the Otherside via the elevator. In the novel, on the 5th floor, there wasn't this dark floor with a white something sprinting towards the elevator but it was not a completely dark floor but a "normal" floor and a woman with long black hair that was hiding her face that simply rushed towards the elevator, before Toriko quickly closed the doors. This seemingly "normal" context paired with Toriko's urgent door closing was a lot more unsettling to me than just a generic white ghost thing sprinting towards the elevator. It also showed that the transition between our side and the Otherside is gradual at this gate, with parts of our side slowly becoming distorted. I also liked Sorawo's and Toriko's interaction regarding that scene, with Sorawo being perplexed about Toriko's behaviour and telling her that the woman probably wanted to get onto the elevator to which Torkio replied "She always tries to get on on the fifth floor but you mustn't let her get on under any circumstances."

Worst thing about it, only a few seconds later they reach another floor where it's dark (this actually happened in the novel as well) but now Toriko says in the anime "Strange, it was never this dark before." Yes and No. In the novel, yes, there it actually was never this dark before, in the anime though, it was this dark only a few seconds ago already.
That happens if you don't pay attention when changing stuff in the anime but keeping lines from the novel...

Definitely gonna continue watching though, especially considering how much I already love the novels. Really like the Yuri in those as well and the interactions between Sorawo and Toriko. ^^
Pit93Jan 4, 2021 2:59 PM
Jan 4, 2021 2:56 PM

Dec 2020
This is weird. I like it.

I like Sorao's sometimes-fang. Usually genki girls get a fang. Kinda weird that the glasses girl gets it.

They use CG at the weirdest times, too. Every time it was like a character taking 3 steps at a medium distance. Why?
Jan 4, 2021 3:08 PM

Jun 2008
I'm not usually one to harp on visuals, but the constant switching from 2D to 3D was really off-putting, especially since the 3D just looked awful. And the shot of Toriko at the beginning when she grabbed Sorao was also kind of ugly. Not a good first impression, though at least the Kunekune fight looked good.

I have read the first volume of the novel and while it is definitely nice to be able to visualize some of this, it didn't seem able to properly capture the suspense of the source material. A shame, but hopefully it gets better.

_grim_lin_ said:
EXTRA NOTE TO EVERYONE: The Anime is a Shoujo Ai and NOT a YURI! Both of them are saying that there is a Lesbian couple but Shoujo Ai is more to the Romance direction and Yuri more into the sexual Direction. The same goes for Shounen Ai and Yaoi! Please be more careful next time, because it does trigger some People including me.

(If I said something wrong, not clearly or anything else then a correction would be very helpful to develop my knowledge about the Anime or Anime in general)

Please, no. Shoujo ai is pedophilia. Fans haven't used that term in over a decade. This is yuri. Shoujo ai is what should be triggering, not yuri.
Jan 4, 2021 3:13 PM

Feb 2019
SilentCaay said:
They use CG at the weirdest times, too. Every time it was like a character taking 3 steps at a medium distance. Why?
If I had to take a guess, probably because LIDENFILMS is making 4 shows this season.

peaswar said:
Kosmonaut said:
Yeah, I knew it would be hard to convey the atmosphere and overall feeling of the source to the adaptation. The production values aren't that low, to be honest, but the Kunekune arc in this episode just felt... Lackluster. No tension, what, even when taking into account the different rules under which different media operate, should be one of the most essential reactions to incite in viewers in a thriller.

In the source, you could from the get go feel that the Kunekune is dangerous, even when you don't know much about it, but, in this episode, it didn't have that weight. I'd say that's because when you experience the POV of someone who's frightened, you can feel the anxiety. Visual media can't rely on that. It's hard to translate it into a visual medium without using, you know, medium appropriate means to convey that anxious, lingering feeling. Changing very little could have done a lot more, like a closer inspection of the corpse by the dirt path to notice the fingers were trying to rip the eyes out (I'm pretty sure they were portrayed as being on the forehead) would also serve as a lampshade for future episodes. Or not making multiple kunekune just pop into existence like a pokemon, but instead being only one far away, barely still on screen, coming slowly closer, then they notice it. Visual suspense is built on elongation, on letting beats linger, I couldn't see that effort.

Still, I was surprised by the visuals (despite the janky CG in distant view shots) and the voice acting wasn't half as bad as it could've been. BGM felt a bit off at times, but did most of the work on the 'spook building' front. My biggest gripes are with how they're building - or not building - the atmosphere and the suspense so far.

for me, part of made the thriller/horror/action side falter was the ill-advised cuts of ‘humor’ (in quotes bcs it...wasn’t funny?) or other frivolous ‘moe’ insert scenes. There is literally no reason for comedy in the middle of fighting the KuneKune

I hope this changes in a few episodes or I’ll have to drop this show and just read them manga.
Hm... I've seen humor work in thrillers before, those light scenes making the dark scenes have more a punch. During the middle of the encounter, yeah, it breaks the flow. Specially because they didn't put enough effort into it to make it actually suspenseful, so it ended setting the tone at 'humor', because there was no tension or anxiety in the scene to begin with. The SFX for the popping Kunekune bothered me more than the gags to be honest. Besides, why would they even feel as relieved as to run away that fast from that spot, if the anime couldn't make the Kunekune seem actually threatening? It just came across as random 'quirkness' because oh, so random.
Jan 4, 2021 3:18 PM

Oct 2016
I really enjoyed this first episode! I look forward to seeing not only the romance advance but also the mysteries and sci-fi part too!

Also, I am not the only one thrown off by the bad CGI whenever they show the characters overhead right?
Jan 4, 2021 3:23 PM

Apr 2016
Kosmonaut said:

Hm... I've seen humor work in thrillers before, those light scenes making the dark scenes have more a punch. During the middle of the encounter, yeah, it breaks the flow. Specially because they didn't put enough effort into it to make it actually suspenseful, so it ended setting the tone at 'humor', because there was no tension or anxiety in the scene to begin with. The SFX for the popping Kunekune bothered me more than the gags to be honest. Besides, why would they even feel as relieved as to run away that fast from that spot, if the anime couldn't make the Kunekune seem actually threatening? It just came across as random 'quirkness' because oh, so random.

^This
I too think that lighthearted scenes at the right times have the power to make other moments feel a lot scarier and more threatening compared to a story that tries to be suspenseful or anxious all of the time, it usually doesn't work (at least not for me). But yeah, unfortunately they didn't really manage to create any real suspense in the first place for me either in this episode. And that mad dash at the end was really cringe to me.
Jan 4, 2021 3:33 PM

Sep 2020
Well, Ive been waiting for this in ages.
Animation (though manga and LN's art is better), voice acting and sfx are great,even the ED. Though Im not into visual effects(I cant even be technical on the CGI), Im more into the story so yep,it doesnt disappoint me so far.
Plus the fact thats a Yuri so woofff, I wont complain.
it’s never too late for life ... to go horribly wrong. . . afff~
Jan 4, 2021 3:47 PM

Aug 2019
anyone notice the aphex twins logo on that website they were looking at in the library?

snowykevinJan 4, 2021 4:10 PM
Jan 4, 2021 3:52 PM

Feb 2019
Pit93 said:
Kosmonaut said:

^This
I too think that lighthearted scenes at the right times have the power to make other moments feel a lot scarier and more threatening compared to a story that tries to be suspenseful or anxious all of the time, it usually doesn't work (at least not for me). But yeah, unfortunately they didn't really manage to create any real suspense in the first place for me either in this episode. And that mad dash at the end was really cringe to me.
Right, and I agree with you: small, subtle changes would've made the elevator scene more impactful and build the atmosphere better.

Having the 5th floor be a normal one, looking similar to the others instead of a dark pit, the lady trying to run to get in and Toriko pressing the close doors button repeatedly, then Sorawo saying 'She was trying to get in' and Toriko replying 'She always try to get in on the 5th floor, but you should never let her in'... would serve two purposes way better: it would show the audience that not everything is as it seems at first glance and it would push the ambience of the show into a more creepy direction instead of a jumpscare-based one.
Jan 4, 2021 4:44 PM

Dec 2015
Looks like Hifuu Club finally got an anime~
Jan 4, 2021 4:44 PM
Sep 2020
Kosmonaut said:
SilentCaay said:
If I had to take a guess, probably because LIDENFILMS is making 4 shows this season.

peaswar said:

yeah my problems with humor isn’t that they were there but rather that the humor was ill placed

it broke up the action and horror sequences when it frankly shouldn’t have, and messed with the tone of the show severely.

If i were to pinpoint 2 MAJOR issues with the first episode (so i’m ignoring that horrific cg), it would be the lack of a distinct or consistent tone between acts within the episode (the action sequences are ruined by ill-timed and ill-placed humor. This is something the two chapters which make up episode 1 in the manga did way better. The humor is well-timed and well-placed. It adds to the story rather than distracting and detracting from the tension). The second issue would be the directorship. The episode lacked some smart moves as you mentioned, and the lack of those smart decisions lies at fault of the director.

The ‘mad dash scene’ as well as the whole ‘Sorao tripping scene’ epitomized the failures on both of these counts. They felt so extremely unnecessary, especially as the mad dash didn’t exist in the manga (which ended the arc in a much more satisfying fashion)

I hope this show fixes those issues for the next episode because I’ve got like 18 shows from this season that i’m watching and i can’t keep watching them all. At some point the weak links in my watchlist will have to be cut and I pray it isn’t this show that is one of them.
Jan 4, 2021 4:51 PM
Dec 2019
Sorawo and Toriko are so cute! Hope they will get a position in the top 10 couples✨
Jan 4, 2021 5:46 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
I was "what the fuck is happening?" the entire episode, but well, i will try a few more.
Jan 4, 2021 5:48 PM
May 2020
Honestly i'm quite confused on some point, but it just makes me curious on what's the next episode will offer. Hmm, i don't know, that was an okay first episode, enough to make me continue watching.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2021

70 by wildhood »»
Yesterday, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2021

87 by EinTheVariance »»
Sep 14, 2023 9:21 AM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2021

88 by EinTheVariance »»
Sep 13, 2023 4:52 PM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2021

88 by WatchTillTandava »»
Sep 5, 2023 6:00 AM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2021

72 by Ayonimarui »»
Jul 24, 2023 9:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.