Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 3, 2021 6:21 AM

May 2020
What the title said ^, curious why people think this way, Mushoku Tensei started as a Web Novel on November 2012(Correct me if I'm wrong), and there are some modern isekai that were written before Mushoku Tensei or even before the isekai craze started, and I'm not talking about old obscure titles.
GilgameshuuJan 3, 2021 6:27 AM
Jan 3, 2021 6:41 AM

Oct 2015
Gilgameshuu said:
What the title said ^, curious why people think this way, Mushoku Tensei started as a Web Novel on November 2012(Correct me if I'm wrong), and there are some modern isekai that were written before Mushoku Tensei or even before the isekai craze started, and I'm not talking about old obscure titles.
Popularity among the WN fan I guess. Back in 2013 I heard a lot about Mushoku Tensei among LN/WN fans but few talks about Re:Zero or KonoSuba. Also consider that most isekai WN are published in a website called Shousetsuka ni Narou which is kinda like the Japanese wattpad.
Jan 3, 2021 6:44 AM

May 2020
Desolated said:
Gilgameshuu said:
Popularity among the WN fan I guess. Back in 2013 I heard a lot about Mushoku Tensei among LN/WN fans but few talks about Re:Zero or KonoSuba.

Yeah maybe. Re:Zero actually started much earlier compared to Mushoku Tensei, the Re:Zero Web Novel began on April 2012, 7 months before Mushoku Tensei started on November.
Jan 3, 2021 6:59 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
I guess because people are stupid and it was their first novel or something. Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica made fun of the meta years prior.
Jan 3, 2021 3:38 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Well, I kinda remember people were talking about this webnovel even before rezero S1 get anime adaptation. This series was more popular in the LN/WN back then even before we even have a label category for "isekai"
Fuwa_sanJan 3, 2021 3:41 PM
Jan 3, 2021 6:52 PM

Apr 2020
From my understanding Mushoku Tensei is the origin of the "hit by a truck" trope. its actually the origin/inspiration for pretty much all of the tropes for the modern isekai wave of shows we've had in recent years. its called "godfather of Isekai" or something similar as it was the forerunner for the modern Isekai fomula. It's why it sounds so generic, neet/deadbeat mc who is a pervert, every flavor of waifu, sword and magic world etc.

I believe there were a few that were similar after SAO took off, but this is the webnovel that became immensely popular and basically helped spark the isekai craze and define the genre.
Jan 3, 2021 7:21 PM

May 2020
AGlitchGnome said:
From my understanding Mushoku Tensei is the origin of the "hit by a truck" trope. its actually the origin/inspiration for pretty much all of the tropes for the modern isekai wave of shows we've had in recent years. its called "godfather of Isekai" or something similar as it was the forerunner for the modern Isekai fomula. It's why it sounds so generic, neet/deadbeat mc who is a pervert, every flavor of waifu, sword and magic world etc.

I believe there were a few that were similar after SAO took off, but this is the webnovel that became immensely popular and basically helped spark the isekai craze and define the genre.

Hmm I see... but people really like to overexaggerate everything, I keep seeing online about people claiming that it's the progenitor of the isekai genre and that every modern isekai is just a failed copy of Mushoku Tensei or some bs.
Jan 3, 2021 7:40 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Gilgameshuu said:
AGlitchGnome said:

Hmm I see... but people really like to overexaggerate everything, I keep seeing online about people claiming that it's the progenitor of the isekai genre and that every modern isekai is just a failed copy of Mushoku Tensei or some bs.
Knight's and Magic used the'' otaku gets hit by oncomming traffic and gets reincarnated into a fantasy world where he's awesome'' trope back in 2010.
Jan 3, 2021 7:53 PM

May 2020
Roevhaal said:
Gilgameshuu said:

Knight's and Magic used the'' otaku gets hit by oncomming traffic and gets reincarnated into a fantasy world where he's awesome'' trope back in 2010.

So Mushoku Tensei being the father of isekai is just self-proclaimed by the fans? It's less of a trope inventor and actually more of a trope combiner. It just takes all the tropes of earlier isekai and puts them into one. Becomes popular and somehow the fans believe it started it all. The way I see it is that it's the most generic isekai of all time, am I wrong? Although being generic doesn't mean it's bad, it all comes down to execution it's just that it's quite unoriginal.
GilgameshuuJan 3, 2021 8:03 PM
Jan 3, 2021 8:17 PM
Apr 2018
Mushoku Tensei is known as the Grandfather of Modern Isekai, mostly due to the tropes it popularized and or established, also it can be said that Mushoku Tensei has a story that is better than that, of most Isekai stories written today. Despite all the backlash and controversy at one point in time Mushoku Tensei was the most popular WN on the site it was published on, more so than Shield Hero or Re Zero.

In regards to the story Mushoku Tensei executes the world building and character development like no other series out there. Aside from the main cast Mushoku Tensei does a great job at creating magnificent supporting characters that feel like they could each have their own spin-off unlike 1-D fodder side characters in most stories.The story although not straightforward is very much unique and far from generic, this can be proven by seen the reaction of most WN readers "once all the pieces of the puzzle come together".
Jlarz56Jan 3, 2021 8:24 PM
Jan 3, 2021 8:28 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Gilgameshuu said:
Roevhaal said:

So Mushoku Tensei being the father of isekai is just self-proclaimed by the fans? It's less of a trope inventor and actually more of a trope combiner. It just takes all the tropes of earlier isekai and puts them into one. Becomes popular and somehow the fans believe it started it all. The way I see it is that it's the most generic isekai of all time, am I wrong?
It can't be the most generic isekai of all time since Isekai Cheat Magician exists but yea it's just a part of the explosion of isekai novels. Isekai was already branching out all over the place by this time, some other titles that started in 2012-2013 are: Overlord, Youjo Senki, Re:Zero, TenSura, Isekai wa Smartphone, Death March, Bookworm, Konosuba, Hachinan tte, Arifureta, Tate no Yuusha and of course Isekai Cheat Magician.
Jan 3, 2021 8:36 PM

May 2020
Roevhaal said:
Gilgameshuu said:

So Mushoku Tensei being the father of isekai is just self-proclaimed by the fans? It's less of a trope inventor and actually more of a trope combiner. It just takes all the tropes of earlier isekai and puts them into one. Becomes popular and somehow the fans believe it started it all. The way I see it is that it's the most generic isekai of all time, am I wrong?
It can't be the most generic isekai of all time since Isekai Cheat Magician exists but yea it's just a part of the explosion of isekai novels. Isekai was already branching out all over the place by this time, some other titles that started in 2012-2013 are: Overlord, Youjo Senki, Re:Zero, TenSura, Isekai wa Smartphone, Death March, Bookworm, Konosuba, Hachinan tte, Arifureta, Tate no Yuusha and of course Isekai Cheat Magician.

Some of those came out before the isekai explosion, Overlord iirc started on 2010, and Re:Zero started on April 2012, a few months before SAO aired and 7 months before Mushoku Tensei began and got popular.
GilgameshuuJan 3, 2021 8:44 PM
Jan 3, 2021 8:51 PM

Aug 2016
I guess people like to say ignorant sh*t.
:v
Jan 3, 2021 8:51 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Gilgameshuu said:
Roevhaal said:

Some of those came out before the isekai explosion, Overlord iirc started on 2010, and Re:Zero started on April 2012, a few months before SAO aired and 7 months before Mushoku Tensei began and got popular.
You're right, Overlord is from 2010. In April 2012 you also had No Game No Life debuting as a Light Novel, another title that clearly shows that isekai was already popular at the time. And as I already said the otaku dies, is reborn and gets super awesome and popular trope was already a thing aswell.
Jan 3, 2021 9:25 PM

Apr 2020
Jlarz56 said:
Mushoku Tensei has a story that is better than that, of most Isekai stories written today. Despite all the backlash and controversy at one point in time Mushoku Tensei was the most popular WN on the site it was published on, more so than Shield Hero or Re Zero.

In regards to the story Mushoku Tensei executes the world building and character development like no other series out there. Aside from the main cast Mushoku Tensei does a great job at creating magnificent supporting characters that feel like they could each have their own spin-off unlike 1-D fodder side characters in most stories.

I think this probably captures it. Mushoku tensei became the gold standard by which isekai were measured because of how good the world building and character development was. I usually like to refer to is as "godfather" in stead of "grandfather" but they essentially means the same thing. However I guess technically speaking you would be correct, the tropes had existed beforehand so it wasnt a completely new take.

Every derivative isekai that came afterwards tried to replicate the formula for success from this series and usually more than likely failed.

The vast majority of good isekai were either released before this series or around the same time and didn't try to copy it.
Jan 3, 2021 10:48 PM

Jul 2019
Honestly i think they say it because they want to protect the original material. As someone that does love it, i know it has a lot of problems especially at the beginning, so a lot of people say its the "Grandfather" to give a reason as to why those problems and cliches exist (when they shouldnt even if it was really the grandfather).
Jan 3, 2021 11:26 PM

Apr 2020
VP2003boi said:
Honestly i think they say it because they want to protect the original material. As someone that does love it, i know it has a lot of problems especially at the beginning, so a lot of people say its the "Grandfather" to give a reason as to why those problems and cliches exist (when they shouldnt even if it was really the grandfather).

I could see that. Its a slow burn series and doesnt really start to shine until you are a pretty good way into it. It's always tough when a show like this gets so hype because then the expectation is set for it to be amazing right from the start and when it isn't it's just disappointing.

The haruhi movie is an example I can think of. I think that movie is a masterpiece, but you have to wade through the haruhi series to get the full experience. Unfortunately I think the haruhi series is really just above average to very good at best and can completely understand if someone couldnt get through it.
Jan 4, 2021 6:01 AM
Jan 2015
We all want our beloved series to get popular. I think that's natural.

If none of the fans tried anything to help this series grow (calling it grandfather of modern isekai), this new 2021 show will probably be glossed over and seen as a "generic isekai that I shouldn't bother checking out".

Although saying such things will inevitably cause people to raise their expectations too high, I think this is a better route than just leaving the show as it is.
Jan 4, 2021 3:07 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
co111s said:
We all want our beloved series to get popular. I think that's natural.

If none of the fans tried anything to help this series grow (calling it grandfather of modern isekai), this new 2021 show will probably be glossed over and seen as a "generic isekai that I shouldn't bother checking out".

Although saying such things will inevitably cause people to raise their expectations too high, I think this is a better route than just leaving the show as it is.
A yes, I love being baited into watching series by overbearing fans.
Jan 8, 2021 2:18 AM

Oct 2017
The amount of detail put into each characters and world building , attrition to detail, and very entertaining story makes this a fascinating read as far as LN goes.

The writing of this series is better than most of the isekai light novel out there too.

Also do note this serie is like 2 decades old, which has ended and with so many volumes.
So is not wrong to call it father of isekai trend because many of the later isekai just copies this formula in an inferior way later on.
Jan 8, 2021 2:54 AM

May 2020
Ventus_S said:
The amount of detail put into each characters and world building , attrition to detail, and very entertaining story makes this a fascinating read as far as LN goes.

The writing of this series is better than most of the isekai light novel out there too.

Also do note this serie is like 2 decades old, which has ended and with so many volumes.
So is not wrong to call it father of isekai trend because many of the later isekai just copies this formula in an inferior way later on.

2 decades? As far as I know it started in November 2012, unless I'm wrong about that.
Jan 8, 2021 3:42 AM

Apr 2013
Ventus_S said:

As much as I love Mushoku Tensei, it's wrong to say that Mushoku Tensei affect an entire genre of Isekai. Isekai have existed since a long time back so making that argument would invite a lot of useless discussion about who first started isekai story. But It does indeed inspired a lot "modern narou style reincaranation isekai" isekai story that you see in recent years because MT become popular on a Syosetsu all time rank, earning its 1st position for a few years.
Angry_onionJan 8, 2021 3:54 AM
Jan 8, 2021 3:43 AM

Oct 2017
Gilgameshuu said:
Ventus_S said:

2 decades? As far as I know it started in November 2012, unless I'm wrong about that.

Yeah my mistake.

So yeah only 8 years :3 Still pretty long running.
Jan 10, 2021 4:06 AM
Jun 2009
Angry_onion said:
Ventus_S said:

As much as I love Mushoku Tensei, it's wrong to say that Mushoku Tensei affect an entire genre of Isekai. Isekai have existed since a long time back so making that argument would invite a lot of useless discussion about who first started isekai story. But It does indeed inspired a lot "modern narou style reincaranation isekai" isekai story that you see in recent years because MT become popular on a Syosetsu all time rank, earning its 1st position for a few years.

"Modern Isekai" not Isekai in general.

Isekai has existed since series like Fushigi Yuugi, Escaflowne, Inuyasha, etc.
Jan 10, 2021 4:47 AM

Sep 2019
coolxal said:
Isekai has existed since series like Fushigi Yuugi, Escaflowne, Inuyasha, etc.

This kinda reminds me of an argument gamers have about whether or not PUBG fathered battle royale genre. I mean, yes, you can indeed argue that Mushoku Tensei hasn't invented isekai. But it made this genre what is today. Whether you yourself like MT or not is secondary to its cultural impact.
heitooJan 10, 2021 5:03 AM
Jan 10, 2021 4:47 AM

Jan 2018
because it's popular, and the main character (like almost all isekai or fantasy mcs nowadays) is a massive nonce and pervert.
Jan 10, 2021 4:54 AM
Dec 2020
Because it started the current isekai boom.At least that's what they say in Japan.
Jan 10, 2021 6:58 AM
Jul 2018
Thorf said:
because it's popular, and the main character (like almost all isekai or fantasy mcs nowadays) is a massive nonce and pervert.
hmmmm interesting if the main character is like that then i am out of here but atleast i will watch 3 episodes to decide
Jan 10, 2021 8:57 AM

Nov 2019
As much as I love mushoku tensei, it did not start the tropes. The reason why it’s call the ‘godfather’ is because it popularized it. It’s like how people say SAO started the isekai trend. It really didn’t however it definitely popularized it. Mushoku Tensei just became the series to copy off of because it was doing good. The light novel of it or more specifically the web novel (because that’s what I read) is IMO one of the best world building, characters, and stories, and it is my second favorite isekai after re zero. Mushoku tensei is like most isekai however done right. It takes the potential of the typical isekai trope and actually surpasses it. I’m half excited half worried about how it would do as an anime, but it looks like they are doing a good job so far.
Jan 10, 2021 10:37 AM

Sep 2019
ExcaliburAO said:
It’s like how people say SAO started the isekai trend.

I'd say SAO started progression fantasy trend rather than isekai trend.
heitooJan 10, 2021 10:41 AM
Jan 10, 2021 8:29 PM
Aug 2020
Jan 10, 2021 8:36 PM

May 2020

What a coincidence, I just finished watching that an hour ago.
Jan 11, 2021 12:03 AM

Apr 2008
Ofc there were isekai way before this was even a thing but it's probably because it popularized isekai as a genre.
Jan 11, 2021 1:04 AM
Oct 2012
I understand where this came from, but it really is Mushoku Tensei that popularized this genre. Not just isekai genre, but a more specific isekai genre where the mc is absurdly strong, have lots of harems, adventures with adventure guild, etc. As proof of this there's tons of similiar isekai genre within webnovel format, some even get animated with bad quality like kenja no mago and isekai cheat magician

If it's just isekai then inuyasha at 90s is considered isekai.
Jan 14, 2021 1:16 AM

Dec 2018
I don’t really get it either, the series only started in 2012 and isekai as we currently know it was already present back then. And no, just because it was more popular than its competitors doesn’t make it the “grandfather” if that’s why people are saying it.
Jan 14, 2021 1:28 AM

Apr 2013
Monochrosanity said:
And no, just because it was more popular than its competitors doesn’t make it the “grandfather” if that’s why people are saying it.

You're underestimate how often a certain popular series affect an entire genre or giving birth to new fad that people doesn't recognize before.

Monochrosanity said:
The series only started in 2012 and isekai as we currently know it was already present back then.

Exactly, isekai as we know it today doesn't exist before at that moment because we call those story "Fantasy". MT is popular enough to secure the 1st place on syosetsu a site where many amateur writer submits their works for a long time from 2012-2015 or 2016. The popularity of MT made Syosetso popular among fiction writer and casual readers in Japan introduces this site to a broader people who later would write their own fiction, since MT is the most popular ones many amateur writer would use this and other popular works on that site as an inspiration to their new novel.
Jan 16, 2021 4:24 AM
Jul 2012
12 kingdoms is the grandfather of isekai, and the only show that did it well. Bunch of zoomers that only started watching anime because of aot might think differently.
Jan 16, 2021 11:49 AM

May 2009
anilandrot said:
12 kingdoms is the grandfather of isekai, and the only show that did it well. Bunch of zoomers that only started watching anime because of aot might think differently.

Story of Urashima Tarō is grandfather of isekai in Japan.
Feb 4, 2021 3:05 PM

Jun 2015
Because No

The isekai are at least have 38 years old since Dunbine and there have been a lot of popularizing them.
And the trope that all new LNs of the op prota with a harem in a generic fantasy world follow led to the peak popularity with Zero no Tsukaima and SAO's WN in the 2000s.

AGlitchGnome said:
From my understanding Mushoku Tensei is the origin of the "hit by a truck" trope.

Dude, Astroboy die by a Truck in 1952
XDD
ALOCFeb 4, 2021 3:15 PM
Mar 9, 2021 9:16 AM
Aug 2019
Gilgameshuu said:

Simply said MT boosted the isekai genre soo much . Cuz of that many other isekai were made .
Mar 9, 2021 9:25 AM

Feb 2021
MT might be the only Isekai that follows the MC's life from birth to the end. I do not think any Isekai before MT have done that aspect.
WindenMar 9, 2021 9:33 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 9, 2021 2:58 PM
Dec 2018
Imagine still believing that isekai was invented by Mushoku Tensei in 2012 😂
Latest reviews: Mushoku Tensei P2 🤮 • Meikyuu Black Company 💰 • Tsukimichi 🌙
Mar 9, 2021 3:00 PM

Feb 2021
saving this so I can lol later (pt.2)
Mar 10, 2021 1:07 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I started reading it in 2014 and I didn't even know the meaning of the Isekai term. That said, I am pretty sure the origination of this whole "Isekai hype" generated mostly from SAO. I still vividly remember how everybody went batshit crazy because of the first season of SAO, especially the Japanese audience.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Mar 10, 2021 3:04 AM

Jan 2021
Isn't that title supposed to be over SAO's head?
Sore wa chigau yo! - Junko Enoshima, probably
Jun 26, 2022 7:40 AM
Jun 2022
Disclaimer: English is my second (if not third) language, then you know what happened next...

One phrase: "NEETs with their blind fanatism."

Eva fans with their "first tsunderé" while ignoring Lum Invader, SAO fans with their "first MMO show" while ignoring Hack Series or any literatures before 2002, or FranXXers with their "First-Deep-Whatsoever-Mecha" thing while ignoring Evangelion Show(s). People just fall in love with certain show meanwhile their knowledge about animé limited only around whatever blablabla site/apk throw to them, resulting in their limited view range of the subculture. People once said "More empty the water tank, more louder the echo once you shout in it."

The only thing to solve this "First MMO story" is to convince them to watch much older shows, or else these shits will appear again in the distant future.

I mean c'mon! MushoTen firstly posted in Shōsetsuka ni Narō, a site that mostly filled with (if not dedicated to be) Zero no Tsukaima's fanfics. If the problem is the "truck-san" trope, then how can people forgot YūYū Hakushō's first episode?
Jul 27, 2022 11:24 PM
Apr 2019
bastek66 said:
anilandrot said:

Story of Urashima Tarō is grandfather of isekai in Japan.

Came here to say this. Isekai is ANCIENT, and was already recognizable in anime even in the early 90s when I started. There were several notable titles back then.

Sempakman2000 said:
Disclaimer: English is my second (if not third) language, then you know what happened next...

One phrase: "NEETs with their blind fanatism."

Eva fans with their "first tsunderé" while ignoring Lum Invader, SAO fans with their "first MMO show" while ignoring Hack Series or any literatures before 2002, or FranXXers with their "First-Deep-Whatsoever-Mecha" thing while ignoring Evangelion Show(s). People just fall in love with certain show meanwhile their knowledge about animé limited only around whatever blablabla site/apk throw to them, resulting in their limited view range of the subculture. People once said "More empty the water tank, more louder the echo once you shout in it."

The only thing to solve this "First MMO story" is to convince them to watch much older shows, or else these shits will appear again in the distant future.

I mean c'mon! MushoTen firstly posted in Shōsetsuka ni Narō, a site that mostly filled with (if not dedicated to be) Zero no Tsukaima's fanfics. If the problem is the "truck-san" trope, then how can people forgot YūYū Hakushō's first episode?

And Aura Battler Dunbine and Magic Knight Rayearth and Escaflowne and El-Hazard, there are SO MANY EXAMPLES.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is Season 2, Part 1 as good as Season 1?

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

12 by TrayC-3PO »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2021

466 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Yesterday, 9:08 AM

» Is Mushoku Tensei one of best isekai anime so far ?

ISeeLifePeople - Jul 20, 2023

45 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Yesterday, 9:04 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2021

380 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Apr 22, 9:57 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2021

335 by Remurst »»
Apr 10, 1:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.