Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 4, 2021 7:08 PM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
tryhardw33b said:
kyoko doing a complete 180 without any convincing needed from sayaka and madoka

Oh my gosh, everything involving Kyoko was literally my least favorite part of PMMM and this is why!

I also agree with you about pretty much everything else (apart from Homura. I do agree that her story had a better setup than everything else, but I'd still personally say it wasn't set up "well")

I thought the villain was pretty poorly written as well
My greatest contribution to this website:
May 4, 2021 7:18 PM

Apr 2021
right?? they set up kyoko to be this big rival character who was too stubborn and dedicated to the whole 'magical girl' thing but she immediately does a complete 180 in like...2 seconds. i get it was supposed to be a 'subversion' or whatever but just because something is a 'subversion' doesn't make it good lol. it was shocking, yes, but that's all it was. homura was the best character in the series, but honestly...only because her character and story were the only things that were...actually foreshadowed and developed throughout the show.

i haven't seen rebellion yet, though. i heard it's divisive?
May 10, 2021 11:52 AM

Jul 2019
This is the masterpiece.

You must have some kind of wrong opinion if you think otherwise.
May 16, 2021 11:32 AM

Mar 2020
Reading all your replies I wish I would have liked it as much as some of you do but actually I didn't like it at all. I thought all of the characters except Homura and Madokas Mom were badly designed and unlikeable. Most of them are kids so it's a given they are naive/childish but I couldn't come to terms with it.
I hated the visuals. The art style of the characters as well as the witches. They probably went for a mysterious design but it ended up being just confusing for me. I'm conflicted about the end. I liked Homura finally opening up but Madokas wish couldve been so much better. Also Homura shouldve just killed Madoka from the get go to save her from becoming a magical girl, it was obvious she would always become one and Homura didn't have a problem killing her before. The beginning of the anime wasnt much better, the first 2 episodes couldve been cut and noone wouldve noticed. The "big twist" in Ep. 3 wasn't bad but they can't expect me to care about Mami who has been unlikable from the start. However I must commend the writers for their ability to make great cliffhangers. Even though I ended up not liking Madoka Magica, I watched Ep. 4 to 12 in a day because I wanted to know how the story continues.
May 18, 2021 10:25 AM

Jul 2019
Pretty bad honestly. I gave it a 7/10. It looked nice and had good ost but it was kinda boring. It took like 8 episodes to get good. Also they killed my fave character after 3 episodes so yeah. Madoka as a character just sucked. She is like woman version of Midoriya aka a whiny crybaby. You have the option to save yourself but you sit here and cry.
May 19, 2021 3:31 AM

Sep 2020
it's fun both schlock and turn your brain on,definitely worth a watch, but i feel turning brain on is much better,since you will know how great this is or how great urobuchi writing,or to see how dark and crazy the psychological and dark atmosphere theme,since this has some complicated moments like

May 19, 2021 8:00 PM

Aug 2020
I gotta say that it is a very good anime, my only downside is that it lacks content, specifically in developing the characters' relationship to each other.

May 23, 2021 5:50 PM
Dec 2017
the greatest magical anime ever to be made.

Jun 21, 2021 3:38 AM

May 2019
I have a very mixed opinion of it. I really like some aspects of it, like the characters (except Mami and Kyoko, the first one because she got super wasted and the second because she's honestly just a mess) and Homura's ordeal is very appealing, but the rest of it, especially stuff with Kyuubey, is really really dumb.

It's also too short imo, making it feel very rushed. That said it being 25 would be too long. I wish more anime went for 1 and a half cour, around 18 episodes, I feel a lot could benefit from that, like this and Kill la Kill. The third movie simply didn't need to happen, but despite that I liked it a bit more than the actual anime.

It's an anime I think a lot about and one I really wish I could like more but I can't, really.
Jun 21, 2021 2:50 PM
Oct 2016
I can understand if you don't love the whole story or the development of most of the cast. Think that they have 12 episodes and not all of the cast can develop as homura ... They don't have time for that. But even with that, even if today the plot is more common in the anime world. The visuals and music are insane, we have weirder and more experimental animes but madoka combine experimentation with the style of a normal anime very well. Like, not many animes do that shit.

The scenes with the mazes, the colors, the transformation scenes in the movies, the music, the scenography and the visual references ... I really think if you like animation and like to see that little aspects you like madoka even if you just need to focus on the visuals. For me it's one of my favorites (and short, I like short animes). It has a good story, good characters (I love Kyouko but it's a rushed mess, I know), I have seen better development and better stories but it's great. And that with the visual and the music for me is a 9-10.

And about the hype for the third episode. You don't need to hype madoka with that. The first 1-2 episodes are great too, they have that uncanny valley that you just have to pay attention. And the scenography < 3 (I really like the scenography, sorry). I understand why people always say "THE THIRD CHANGES EVERYTHING", but madoka don't needs that hype, it's not an extremely dark twist and when certain people say that, I think they give a bad impression or a misunderstanding about the important things of the serie.
Theredwolf66Jun 21, 2021 3:06 PM
Jun 22, 2021 4:46 PM
Jul 2018
When I first watched it I loved it and gave it a 10, as time went on it eroded in my ranking and became a 9, and a recent rewatch made it a 10 again and my 2nd favorite anime. It's still the densest anime I've watched, there's so much packed into 12 episodes, I felt every emotion on both rewatches. I think the writing is incredible, my rewatch brought the incredible foreshadowing to the forefront of my mind while watching. And of course I'm a sucker for shaft as well. It also has one of my favorite cast of characters, I love all of the holy quintet, and homura and madoka are just unbelievable.
As for ep 3: I actually got spoiled for it initially but I didn't really care. I don't know how you can watch everything before it and think it's a perfectly normal mahou shoujo anime. I had this dark feeling from the first scene, so it didn't feel like much of a plot twist even if I already knew what would happen.

Bonus: this series contains 2 of my top 3 noncanon ships (madokaxhomura, sayakaxsakura) which adds to my enjoyment as well.
Jun 23, 2021 9:23 AM

Mar 2015
The third episode thing is oversold, to be honest. The reason it's a great show wouldn't be summarized by shock value/grimdark themes. It's well crafted in that the purpose of each scene is clear in hindsight and a lot of the characters are expounded upon by the situation rather than through lengthy exposition. The characters are human and flawed. Paired with the tragic fate that awaits them, I feel it builds into something viewers can sympathize with.

All of this would make it good, but I think what really makes it stellar is the deeply humanistic message. Even in a world that is ultimately indifferent to our struggles as humans, even when our best efforts may just blow up in our face, it's not wrong to bear hope. We make mistakes in our struggle to be better, but our struggle is not itself a mistake.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1541 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.