Forum Settings
Forums

How come almost all girls in shoujo anime have small or normal size boobs? (not rant thread)

New
Dec 21, 2020 12:49 PM

Oct 2010
So I was watching Ultramaniac and Boku no Chikyuu wo Mamotte (2nd rewatch) and I noticed that all girls have decent breast sizes and some are just washboards. Then, I made some research and noticed that it is true to lots of shoujo anime (Orange, Nana, Kimi ni Todoke), yes, I know it could be an art style thing, most girls there are skinny and making them big chested would look weird, I can't imagine Kuronuma Sawako with big booby.
Anyways, does shoujo anime girls deserve bigger boobs? Can you name a shoujo anime with big chested waifus, I would be interested to know.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 21, 2020 1:02 PM

Sep 2018
I think it makes females relate more with them that way since huge oppai is more rare generally.
Dec 21, 2020 1:05 PM

Jun 2016
I gueee it's more relateable to the average early teen japanese girl. Just like Kenshiro is relateable to the average japanese teen boy.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 21, 2020 1:08 PM

Jul 2019
I would imagine shoujo has a tendency to be as realistic as possible to create that "I can relate to that" feeling.

But like, small oppai > big oppai
Dec 21, 2020 1:10 PM

Aug 2018
Because who wants to see a girl with boobs the size of a car, definently not me. It just makes them look uglier in my opinion, and it’s extremely unrealistic and not relatable. So normal is fine.
Z3R02Dec 21, 2020 1:36 PM
Dec 21, 2020 1:14 PM

Feb 2020
Catalano said:
So I was watching Ultramaniac and Boku no Chikyuu wo Mamotte (2nd rewatch) and I noticed that all girls have decent breast sizes and some are just washboards. Then, I made some research and noticed that it is true to lots of shoujo anime (Orange, Nana, Kimi ni Todoke), yes, I know it could be an art style thing, most girls there are skinny and making them big chested would look weird, I can't imagine Kuronuma Sawako with big booby.
Anyways, does shoujo anime girls deserve bigger boobs? Can you name a shoujo anime with big chested waifus, I would be interested to know.

Shouji is intended for young female audience. I think u already know what gender of people are more interested in big boobs...
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Dec 21, 2020 1:18 PM
Jun 2020
Mostly, because most girls are flat or have normal size boobs. I know anime isn't supposed to be confidence boosters, but most teen girls want to do stuff to impress teen boys (like have big boobs or have a big ass). But when they see these girls have a flat chest or normal size boobs, it makes them feel wanted and normal. Also, most girls don't like fanservice.

“It's just pathetic to give up on something before you even give it a shot.”
"You're not a degenerate you just have a boring life, and that's ok."
Dec 21, 2020 1:25 PM

Oct 2010
Adampk said:
Catalano said:

Shouji is intended for young female audience. I think u already know what gender of people are more interested in big boobs...

I understand but you could also draw them with a big chest or let's say bigger than most of the girls and never show any cleavage or sexy scenes, of course no one watches Ultramaniac for ecchi fanservice
Dec 21, 2020 1:29 PM

Nov 2016
Stereotypically shoujo is more about the big, shiny eyes and I don't think the readers care about big breats, not to mention that it would ruin the aesthetics

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 21, 2020 1:31 PM

Jan 2009
its targeted towards girls anyway and usually they do not have big boobs yet in real life
Dec 21, 2020 1:33 PM

May 2018
Because most of shoujo shows have the similar purpose as most of shounen shows: self-insert. So they make characters maximally neutral and bland in order to be easy to relate to.

Dec 21, 2020 1:36 PM

Aug 2020
It is more relatable I guess Though it is not relatable in the first place
Dec 21, 2020 1:36 PM

Apr 2015
Not that well-developed chest is easiest way to make female character look young, you'd be better off finding big breasts in shoujo (manga) if it's smutty and focuses on adult characters instead of school kids. There's also the fact most people find young and smaller looking girls/women cute, and usually shoujo characters are designed to look cute instead of sexy.
Dec 21, 2020 1:37 PM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
You could say that SEX SELLS. Guys normally want to see them big. I think. Hence shounen chicks usually have either big badonkadonks or flat chested so they can make boob jokes or make the flattie jealous and hit the boobs and what not.

I prefer shoujo girls, since it's more natural.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Dec 21, 2020 1:46 PM
Dec 2019
Personally, I think it's because shoujo is aimed at teen girls, and they often have teen girls as main characters . From one point of view, it is really just an art style thing, and is probably aiming to look more realistic. There is one other point though, big boobs are often sexualised and bit pandering at times (depending on the type of anime, of course). Anyways, coming from a female perspective, It's uncomfortable seeing girls our age or younger with unrealistic bodies, especially if it feels somewhat sexualised., or something like that I guess... I personally find it uncomfortable anyways. It's especially uncomfortable if she's underage.

I think That's why shoujo girls are normally,pretty flat, with bodies that match their age more, they rely on the personalities to make them relatable to girls, without having any sex appeal. One possible reason could be that it may make young girls feel like having an attractive body is the way to be valued as a female, which would honestly be an unhealthy message for young teen girls 13+ (which is normally,about the entry age for the shoujo demographic, although any age can watch and enjoy). It might not be good for them, given how they are often insecure enough about their bodies at that age as it is.
Just one point of view though, some shoujo girls have larger breasts but rarely to the extent seen in some other genres
Dec 21, 2020 1:52 PM

Jan 2018
The reason why I'd assume is because the writers probably want the female characters to be "relatable" to their main consumer.I guess it's just not really a thing young girls care about, instead they want them more "cutesy" which also explains all the bishonen's too.
What a beautiful Duwang
Dec 21, 2020 1:55 PM

Feb 2020
Catalano said:
Adampk said:

I understand but you could also draw them with a big chest or let's say bigger than most of the girls and never show any cleavage or sexy scenes, of course no one watches Ultramaniac for ecchi fanservice

i think its not just ecchi, It's more about perspective. Example shoujo boys appearance look weird to me. They are like one of those shallow looking overpopuler guy who I could never relate to. Maybe Its same for girls.
Though exception are there Eg - maid sama or Cutie Honey Flash or Hana yori Dango has a fair amount of boob.
It's just that too big boobs is sexualizing a character, so still it fall's under ecchi catagory even if cleavages are not shown
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Dec 21, 2020 2:00 PM

Oct 2010
konkelo said:
There's also the fact most people find young and smaller looking girls/women cute, and usually shoujo characters are designed to look cute instead of sexy.

Now that I think about it, girls watching shoujo anime would prefer cute instead of sexy.

@Aimee27 that was a very good read, thanks, the girls in ultra maniac are 15 if I remember correctly, I put a pic of them in the spoiler, they look ok
Dec 21, 2020 2:06 PM
Jun 2020
Catalano said:
Shojo means young girls not adult men.
Dec 21, 2020 2:10 PM
Jun 2020
A lot of people in this forum don't understand that this is categorized to younger women......

Dec 21, 2020 2:16 PM

Jul 2017
Azuchi said:
flat chested so they can make boob jokes or make the flattie jealous and hit the boobs and what not.

This should be punishable by jail + fine.
あなたは誰?
Dec 21, 2020 2:20 PM
Jun 2020
backdoornight said:
Azuchi said:
flat chested so they can make boob jokes or make the flattie jealous and hit the boobs and what not.

This should be punishable by jail + fine.
It should be. it should stop being normalized.
Dec 21, 2020 2:39 PM

Apr 2015
Aimee27 said:
I think That's why shoujo girls are normally,pretty flat, with bodies that match their age more, they rely on the personalities to make them relatable to girls, without having any sex appeal. One possible reason could be that it may make young girls feel like having an attractive body is the way to be valued as a female, which would honestly be an unhealthy message for young teen girls 13+ (which is normally,about the entry age for the shoujo demographic, although any age can watch and enjoy). It might not be good for them, given how they are often insecure enough about their bodies at that age as it is.
Just one point of view though, some shoujo girls have larger breasts but rarely to the extent seen in some other genres
I'll also point out here since you brought up characters being relatable for young teens, there's often a moment where the mc or some other girl is insecure about her body and especially her small breasts and comparing to other girl or adult and the story gives a message about being ok in your own body. Where often in shounen it's used as a joke more or less.
Dec 21, 2020 2:42 PM

Jan 2017
Catalano said:

its because Shoujo are normally written by women who don't wanna objectify their female characters. Simple as that lmao
you're cool
Dec 21, 2020 2:46 PM

Apr 2016
Yeah. I think shoujo is just trying to be realistic, which I find respectable.
Dec 21, 2020 2:54 PM

Nov 2008
Catalano said:

Anyways, does shoujo anime girls deserve bigger boobs?

F*ck no. Keep your F-cupped ditzes out of my shoujo, PLEASE.

Can you name a shoujo anime with big chested waifus, I would be interested to know.

Yes >_>

https://myanimelist.net/anime/521/Mermaid_Melody_Pichi_Pichi_Pitch?q=mermaid&cat=anime

Lol this freaking show...everyone is HUGE...is it distracting? Yes, it bloody is.

Sailor Jupiter in Sailor Moon is also said to "have the biggest breasts"...and while she doesn't look "big" by shounen standards, she does by shoujo's.

Dec 21, 2020 2:57 PM

Jul 2017
I do not watch shoujo but man, in general anime girls have nonsensical boobs. Like, either perfect model D or E boobs, or generaly WAY WAY over the normal average size and especially for high school girls.

if it's true that shoujo girls have little boobs... then either it's really the case and there are lots of reasons, either OP's sense of reality is legitimately warped because of animes and he thinks they're small when they're just normal.
Dec 21, 2020 3:07 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Catalano said:
Can you name a shoujo anime with big chested waifus, I would be interested to know.

Sabage-bu:

I'd say Katarina from Hamefura has a respectable chest aswell.
It goes without saying that shoujo rarely have too much use chest size beyond this.
Dec 21, 2020 3:14 PM

May 2016
NextUniverse said:
I would imagine shoujo has a tendency to be as realistic as possible to create that "I can relate to that" feeling.

But like, small oppai > big oppai

We can go deeper.

B-Cup > A-Cup > C-Cup > Washboard > D-Cup > anything over D-Cup.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 21, 2020 3:23 PM

Nov 2007
I wouldn't say shoujo art is more realistic per se, but the goals of the art styles are certainly different. I think we could use more variety in shoujo/josei protagonists body types sometimes. also, bishonen creep me out just as much as moe girls (but not as much as hypersexualized underaged girls). I'm a big fan of shoujo/josei art in general though and honestly favor it over the other demographics when it comes to art. above all i just like when artists resist the limiting conventions of their genres and/or aspire to genuine realism. if a mangaka just wants to bite off of umino chika or yazawa ai or okazaki kyoko's style i respect that tho because they are amazing.
Dec 21, 2020 3:26 PM

Oct 2015
I mean, it's not like shounen protagonists have all that much sex appeal either. Think of your average otome romance option. 95% of the shounen protags won't look even close. And in the rare instance where they look comparably attractive (Black Butler, Pandora Hearts maybe) the show will have a significantly higher reception from female viewers and a lot less so from male viewers. In both shojo and shonen, the idea is to make the target demographic not feel too intimidated by the main character whom they should sympathize with and even relate to at times. They should be down-to-earth, and by that I mean not a supermodel since most people are not supermodels.
Dec 21, 2020 3:31 PM

Jun 2020
Asking the important questions I see
Dec 21, 2020 3:50 PM

Nov 2008
Auron_ said:
I mean, it's not like shounen protagonists have all that much sex appeal either.

Hmm....?

I respectfully disagree. xD

Dec 21, 2020 3:58 PM

Jun 2017
i suppose the same reason why most shounen protagonists aren't unrealistically buff sexy & cool to the extent of curtailing 'female' desires lol
Dec 21, 2020 4:02 PM

Dec 2016
Catalano said:

Has to appeal to the main demographic which is japanese teenage girls so they make them look like the majority to make them appealing. That's also the same reason why most shonen protagonists are thin not that tall boys.
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Dec 21, 2020 4:03 PM

Oct 2013
I don't really watch those type of series, but I'm pretty sure they weren't made with the intention of shoving tig ol' bitties in your face.
Dec 21, 2020 4:06 PM

Oct 2015
Chiibi said:
Auron_ said:
I mean, it's not like shounen protagonists have all that much sex appeal either.

Hmm....?

I respectfully disagree. xD

Well I had already considered Kenshin and Seraph guy as part of the 5% while making the post, if that makes you feel any better lol.

They are there... just not many.
Dec 21, 2020 4:08 PM

Oct 2020
Shoujo anime is for girls. In shoujo men are the ones who are sexualised while in shonen its the opposite.
Dec 21, 2020 4:22 PM

Nov 2008
Auron_ said:

Honestly, I can think of more I find sexy than ones I do not though...I'm certain I could name a good twenty of them or so...and I KNOW the other female members here would agree, shounen feautures PLENTY of hot male characters.
ChiibiDec 21, 2020 4:29 PM

Dec 21, 2020 4:24 PM
Dec 2017
I think its mainly for the audience to relate more to the characters.

Dec 21, 2020 4:53 PM

Oct 2015
Chiibi said:
Auron_ said:

Honestly, I can think of more I find sexy than ones I do not though...I'm certain I could name a good twenty of them or so...and I KNOW the other female members here would agree, shounen feautures PLENTY of hot male characters.

Well okay, I'm certainly not gonna debate you on how you should feel. That's just where I come from. To get a perspective I just looked over top 100 most popular shonen and got 6 protagonists that I found particularly good-looking (not just "he looks decent" but rather "I can see him bringing value to how this show was received through his sex appeal"). In 100-200 it was 4. Granted there were multiple entries of some franchises which I skipped over but it largely applies.
Dec 21, 2020 4:56 PM

Nov 2008
Auron_ said:
I just looked over top 100 most popular shonen and got 6 protagonists that I found particularly good-looking (not just "he looks decent" but rather "I can see him bringing value to how this show was received through his sex appeal").

Huh...I didn't think of doing that....I am kinda curious now. Will look, myself. xD

maybe I'm just easy to please lol

[Edit]

Okay...there are QUITE a few that I find attractive and were purposely designed that way to lure female audiences in.

I would conclude that:

Shounen series do try to attract female audiences but shoujo series don't try nearly as hard with male ones cause they don't care about doing that. xD
ChiibiDec 21, 2020 5:13 PM

Dec 21, 2020 5:46 PM

Aug 2017
Maybe they're not girls from hentai.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 22, 2020 2:23 AM
Dec 2019
@Catalano yeah they look nice to me,and they look like they are probably quite sweet. I haven't tried that show yet, If it's good I might look into it, and thank you :)
Dec 22, 2020 2:26 AM

Apr 2020
I haven't seen too many Shojo anime but maybe so the Person watching it can relate to it more?
I'm clueless at this type of stuff lol
Dec 22, 2020 2:59 AM

Jul 2020
It's because Shojo are intended for females and their fanservice is just too many generic handsome boys.Girls with big boobs do not exist in anime(quote me if you know a shojo anime that have girls with big boobs) they only exist in Shonen.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 22, 2020 3:20 AM
Dec 2017
welcome to the world outside the male gaze
Dec 22, 2020 6:55 AM
Jul 2013
Because shoujo is a genre that tries to appeal to a female audience, not to a male one.
If they could they'd just keep on showing muscular men or dicks everywhere, but since its harder to show such things without nudity, or simply going the hentai route, you are left with very sublime things instead.
Dec 22, 2020 6:57 AM

Oct 2015
They are mostly written by women and aimed at young girls.
Dec 6, 2022 9:55 PM
Dec 2022
I would also like to see more shoujo girls with big boobs. I mean we also want to feel included besides they don't have to make them super size like a car. I get they want to make the jokes about the flat chested girls and the so called relatable thing but that's just an excuse most of the time or saying they want them to not feel ashamed or what not! We E,F,G can not relate to that small chested feeling! Despite being between an E and F myself I don't have back pain due to my strong bone structure and stretches but what about the big breasted women that do have back pain? And it's not like there aren't any jokes they could use about our boobs. I'm just tired of only seeing big breasted women in heram stories or as the villainess or a vriend of the main character.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 14 minutes ago

3 by Silverlight41 »»
4 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

79 by ame »»
5 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

13 by perseii »»
18 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

28 by Kenzolo-folk »»
24 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.