Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 12, 2020 6:27 PM
Apr 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Loved the backstory, it was tragic and beautiful! This explains that guy constantly taking people's swords at the bridge, and why he wouldn't give Zoro his sword no matter what - on that note, he's getting quite the sword as an exchange!
Dec 12, 2020 6:43 PM

Sep 2013
Beautiful backstory and also when Zoro got excited for the blade Enma it made me wet...
Dec 12, 2020 7:04 PM

Mar 2020
That was a great backstory. And seems like Enma is gonna be pretty strong being the sword that was yielded by Oden himself to fight Kaido! Though, something weird was happening in this episode, the aspect ratio kept changing. Also, turns out Gyukimaru is actually Onimaru? Or is that just symbolism?
Dec 12, 2020 7:17 PM

Jul 2007
I think I have my new favorite one piece Laugh. Kwaha papapaa

Dec 12, 2020 7:20 PM

Jul 2016
CooLDuDe_103 said:
That was a great backstory. And seems like Enma is gonna be pretty strong being the sword that was yielded by Oden himself to fight Kaido! Though, something weird was happening in this episode, the aspect ratio kept changing. Also, turns out Gyukimaru is actually Onimaru? Or is that just symbolism?

No it was him but I dont understand why he just left?
Dec 12, 2020 7:25 PM

May 2014
Long time since I have been this early on a forum with only three comments. LOL.

Anyways, this was a good ep. I liked the backstory with Onimaru and Kawamatsu, but more importantly, how did he turn himself into a Fox. I suspect he ate the Human-human fruit after Kawamatsu was caught, or that he could strangely transform and didn't use his tongue to speak. 13 years is a long time, much can happen. Either way, I need some more explaining on that part. Anyways., with these many katana's they have a great advantage.

No Zoro, don't change your sword. I hope he still keeps his shusui. It would be lame for him to get a new sword after having shusui for such a long time.

Not surprised that Oden's battle vs Kaido and his mark was only a frame. I didn't expect much from them, though Toei tried to promote it as something huge. Typical them. I try to not fall for the title bots anymore. :P

PS! Next ep. looks funny. It looks like Kaido and Big Mom have become good buddies, again. LOL.
mangalicker94Dec 12, 2020 7:30 PM
Dec 12, 2020 7:26 PM

Mar 2020
Vindicater said:
CooLDuDe_103 said:

No it was him but I dont understand why he just left?

I wonder more how he actually turned into a human lmao, what kind of magic was that
Dec 12, 2020 7:29 PM

May 2014
CooLDuDe_103 said:
That was a great backstory. And it seems like Enma is gonna be pretty strong being the sword that was yielded by Oden himself to fight Kaido! Though something weird was happening in this episode, the aspect ratio kept changing. Also, turns out Gyukimaru is actually Onimaru? Or is that just symbolism?

I interpreted as Gyukimaru and Onimaru being the same person. I mean Gyukimaru remembered Kawamatsu, he remembered the promise/task they were supposed to do together, and manage to finish theirs "promise". I will need a proper explanation from Oda through his manga if that is not the case.
mangalicker94Dec 12, 2020 7:33 PM
Dec 12, 2020 7:44 PM

Jul 2007
I am not sure why the Studio is using titles for only the cliffhanger moments of the chapters in the manga. This is just strange. This episode's focus was clearly on Kawamatsu and Onimaru's back story and how they protected the samurai swords of the Shimotsuki family so the title should have been something like "The truth behind Onimaru, the gaurdian of the bandit bridge" or something like that.

I guess there doing it this way to place more of a significance on big developments in the manga, being the chapter cliff hangers but honestly its a bit spoilirish, if they are going that route. I am concerned what the title is going to be for the final episode of act 2 which contains ALOT of suprising twists. Hopefully they don't spoil it.

ArtimesGamerDec 12, 2020 9:21 PM

Dec 12, 2020 9:10 PM
Jun 2015
Aaaaeeeyee the ratings back to 8.5
Dec 12, 2020 9:26 PM

Jul 2007
mangalicker94 said:
CooLDuDe_103 said:
That was a great backstory. And it seems like Enma is gonna be pretty strong being the sword that was yielded by Oden himself to fight Kaido! Though something weird was happening in this episode, the aspect ratio kept changing. Also, turns out Gyukimaru is actually Onimaru? Or is that just symbolism?

I interpreted as Gyukimaru and Onimaru being the same person. I mean Gyukimaru remembered Kawamatsu, he remembered the promise/task they were supposed to do together, and manage to finish theirs "promise". I will need a proper explanation from Oda through his manga if that is not the case.

Yeah Gyukimaru is basically the human form of Onimaru, the bandit that protected the bridge for 13 years in which case he took on the alias Gyukimaru. The komakitsune fox named Onimaru was the companion of Ushimaru Shimotsuki, the damyo of the kozuki before Orochi took over. Pay attention to the "shimotsuki" name, you will hear this name from time to time through out the wano arc, it has alot of immportance later on.

honestly with so many pieces and plot threads in this arc, wano is best experienced in bulk rather then on a weekly bases. It can get pretty confusing some times. This act in paticular focuses on alot of exposition and stories that will be even further elaborated later on but its easy to get lost but i guess its written in that way intentionally. It is like oda is giving you all this piecemeal information but leaves you hanging because things are open ended, how ever later on in the arc, everything is further explained and gives more context behind the story.
ArtimesGamerDec 12, 2020 9:39 PM

Dec 12, 2020 9:56 PM

Oct 2017
That was simply beautiful and nice Zoro's getting one of Oden's sword, Enma.
Dec 12, 2020 10:26 PM

May 2018
Oh wow did I see Sasaki, Who's Who and PageOne briefly in that lineup with the Calamities? I mean it makes sense since they are the only ones who seemed wanting to take a All-Star position, but damn it's cool seeing them already. Even though I saw the color cover of them, I still did not expect their colors to be those, and yet once again they are working out pretty well (Who's Who red outfit is definitely more stylish than I figured it would be).
Can't wait to get to their actual introduction, hoping for maybe an early intro for each of the remaining Tobi Roppo (like they did for Katakuri, Daifuku and Oven) as we get closer to the actual raid.

Dec 12, 2020 10:55 PM
Apr 2017
I had a hunch that Onimaru was the warrior-monk... Kinda wished that they reunited though.
Dec 13, 2020 12:39 AM

Sep 2019
Kawamatsu and Onimaru's backstory was good. Zoro is going to get the only sword that was able to cut Kaido, Enma. Good episode.
Dec 13, 2020 1:38 AM

Jul 2015
Nice flashback of a 'fried-tofu thief' kappa with his fox comrade robbing the graves

Zoro really switched quick from getting Shusui back to having "Kaido cutting" Enma as replacement lol.

Dec 13, 2020 2:12 AM

Dec 2013
Onimaru suddenly learning how to transform into a human felt weird but overall an enjoyable backstory episode.
Dec 13, 2020 4:22 AM

Jul 2017
Great quick backstory about Onimaru and Kawamatsu, I have nothing but respect to Kawamatsu, doing a good job on a 13-years mission... that the biggest hurdle was when he was caught when stealing some friend tofu. LMAO
Dec 13, 2020 5:09 AM

Jun 2020
Great backstory, actually felt a bit sad. Kawamatsu got caught in a pretty stupid way tbh xD. One mention of "the blade that cut Kaido" and Zoro goes "Fuck Shusui, ikuzo Enma" lmao

shane_nichols said:
Aaaaeeeyee the ratings back to 8.5

Yes, a good development indeed. Shit's gonna go wild into act 3 and people are gonna love it. Unless they hate One Piece or something, but are still caught up lmao. Next episode is gonna be a banger.
This anime shit is addictive
Dec 13, 2020 5:09 AM

Feb 2013
Onimaru is the best!
I hope that doesn't mean he will never appear again, I don't care if he's in his human form or not, but we need him!
Dec 13, 2020 7:19 AM
Sep 2020
I got a break from One Piece in July and 3 days ago i decided to Watch all the episodes that got release from july and till now, damn i finished them in 2 days now i have to wait weekly or to take a break again :(

Did you guys noticed the black bars on this episode that i never saw before in one piece?

Btw The pacing is this episode was really great it didn't feel stretched at all good job TOEI <3
Dec 13, 2020 8:52 AM
Oct 2020
I hope Zoro keeps his shusui.
Dec 13, 2020 6:14 PM

Mar 2020
The plan seems to be working in addition to soldiers, we have weapons thanks to the efforts of Kawamatsu and Onimaru.
Hiyori looked cute when angry. Zoro looked a little psycho in that ending lol.
"I don't want to achieve anything, I just think that the person who has the greatest freedom in the ocean is the king of pirates." - Monkey D. Luffy.
"There is no one better than me when it comes to ending the expectations of others." - Natsuki Subaru
Dec 13, 2020 9:06 PM

Jul 2013
Interesting backstory between Kawamatsu and Onimaru. Now it makes sense why the bandit "Gyukimaru" alias Onimaru was taking all the weapons, even the Shusui from Zoro. I can't believe Kawamatsu got caught like this, but I guess if you steal fried Tofu day after day from the same place you attract the attention of the seller.

I wonder if Onimaru ate the same fruit as Chopper. For me it seems different because Onimaru can completely become human compared to Chopper whos a hybrid between human and reindeer. Maybe it isn't a devil fruit at all? I don't think that's the case but who knows. I hope they will give us some more details. Also where did Onimaru go without saying anything? Some questions got solved and straightaway we get new ones.

At least with all these weapons Kinemons problem got solved. For Zoro it must be an absolute paradise being surrounded by so many swords lol. The craziest part was definitely at the end in the conversation between Hiyori and Zoro. If I'm honest I would be sad if Zoro has to give up on Shusui. He went through so much with it and he got it over 600 episodes ago which is just crazy to think of at this point. But at the same time, when does somebody offer you an sword which was able to injure Kaido? I'm still in shock. Nothing cam even close to do that. Not even himself. No wonder why Zoro is fired up.

I have the feeling in the upcoming fight against Kaido Zoro might play an even bigger role as I first thought. Can't wait to hear more about Enma.

Dec 13, 2020 11:19 PM

Dec 2012
Onimaru almost me cry at the end. Stories like that always get me 😫
Same thing happened with The Going Merry 😭

I don't think a devil fruit is involved there, just the power of will... and maybe some haki magic if you want to get technical.
Dec 14, 2020 3:44 AM
Aug 2020
I guess onimaru is the third hito-hito no mi user after all and he still might has something for future. There was a focus on sword of Shimotsuki Ushimaru,it might be wielded by someone special later. Back stories in wano are hitting harder in the feels.

The animation in this episode was absolutely low teir compared to past episodes. I guess either they used too money on past episodes or they are planning for future hot episodes.

Big Mom and Kadio are together. Shit. I am expecting some OP Law moments, he has not shined much in Wano.

Oden was showed with two swords, I wonder what the other one could do. Zoro did so much to get to Shisui but after hearing about Enma he very quickly changed his mood. And I was thinking he was possessive about swords but looks like he just need powerful weapons. Let's see the power of flame swords!!
Dec 14, 2020 4:17 AM
Sep 2018
A very good episode for me
Dec 14, 2020 6:18 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I hope they improve the Oden vs. Kaido fight' animation by the time we get there.
Dec 14, 2020 10:43 AM

Nov 2018
why fox just left? shy or is he dead?
Dec 14, 2020 11:29 AM
Sep 2020
mangalicker94 said:
Long time since I have been this early on a forum with only three comments. LOL.

Anyways, this was a good ep. I liked the backstory with Onimaru and Kawamatsu, but more importantly, how did he turn himself into a Fox. I suspect he ate the Human-human fruit after Kawamatsu was caught, or that he could strangely transform and didn't use his tongue to speak. 13 years is a long time, much can happen. Either way, I need some more explaining on that part. Anyways., with these many katana's they have a great advantage.

No Zoro, don't change your sword. I hope he still keeps his shusui. It would be lame for him to get a new sword after having shusui for such a long time.

Not surprised that Oden's battle vs Kaido and his mark was only a frame. I didn't expect much from them, though Toei tried to promote it as something huge. Typical them. I try to not fall for the title bots anymore. :P

PS! Next ep. looks funny. It looks like Kaido and Big Mom have become good buddies, again. LOL.

I think that it was zoro's duty to bring shusui back to the land of wano, back to its rightful place. The people of wano have a real strong connection with the sword so it'll be wrong for zoro to keep it away from them. And he's getting an even better sword in return so I don't think he'll have any complaints.
Dec 14, 2020 11:53 AM

May 2015
I might be wrong but I think that Onimaru is a kitsune who gained the ability to shapeshift into a human when he was alone. The first grave robbers call him a youkai, Kawamatsu called him a kitsune and the ability to shapeshift is often learned at 100 or 50 years old, which he could have reached during the 13 years period.
Dec 16, 2020 4:52 PM
Nov 2014
Pratyush_ said:
mangalicker94 said:

I think that it was zoro's duty to bring shusui back to the land of wano, back to its rightful place. The people of wano have a real strong connection with the sword so it'll be wrong for zoro to keep it away from them. And he's getting an even better sword in return so I don't think he'll have any complaints.

I don't want to accidentally spoil anything so I won't Google it, but I wonder why they're all even more attached to the sword Shusui than Enma, since Enma was literally Oden's sword
Dec 17, 2020 3:25 PM
Oct 2020
The backstory was heartfelt but left much to be desired. Doesn't make sense why he'd just run off like that after meeting his friend after so many years without to much as saying a word. The kaido/big mom teaser did not satisfy and I would like some progression every now and then, when are we gonna actually see the crew together ._.
Dec 18, 2020 9:03 AM
May 2019
After the last scene...

VOTE FOR VILLAIN ZORO 2021
Dec 18, 2020 5:11 PM
Jul 2020
Muito bom esse EP contando mais sobre o Kawamatsu muito bonito também o cenário de fundo cm aquela neve caindo dando mais peso a cena, não e por nada não mais one piece ainda continua sendo um anime nota 10.
Dec 19, 2020 4:20 AM

Apr 2013
A whole episode on the backstory of a fox who did not play a big role in the show so far and who'll probably never appear again. Meh...
Dec 21, 2020 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
episode was very interesting.
Dec 26, 2020 12:26 PM

Jul 2008
I love Onimaru so much. ONIMARU FOR STRAWHAT!!!
Jan 3, 2021 8:34 PM

Mar 2015
Onimaru was the real bro in the end!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 15, 2021 10:47 AM
Jun 2015
Figured out pretty quick that Gyukimaru and Onimaru were the same. Maybe Onimaru ate the Smile Fruit and became a human?
Jan 18, 2021 3:38 AM

May 2014
mbyhmma said:
Pratyush_ said:

I think that it was Zoro's duty to bring shusui back to the land of wano, back to its rightful place. The people of wano have a really strong connection with the sword so it'll be wrong for Zoro to keep it away from them. And he's getting an even better sword in return so I don't think he'll have any complaints.

I don't want to accidentally spoil anything so I won't Google it, but I wonder why they're all even more attached to the sword Shusui than Enma since Enma was literally Oden's sword

I can only think that Shisui is like a lucky charm to the people of Wano which brings peace to their country. It's just as Gyukimaru said after Shisui got stolen from their country disaster after a disaster was brought to their country.
Jan 29, 2021 8:09 PM

Mar 2016
This is such a tear-jerking backstory, the disappearance of Hiyori almost literally brought Kawamatsu to his death by seppuku. The only thing keeping himself from doing that again was to collect swords all day every day for the uncertain future that may never even come. And when Kawamatsu is captured, Onimau follows suit, posing as Gyukimari, the bridge's weapons' bandit. Though all those pain and suffering, in the end, it all paid off since now they have a stash full of thousands of weapons.

I love this backstory that depicts Kawamatsu's loyalty and belief to the promise made 20 years into the future. Whilst Inuarashi, Nekomamushi and Ashura are with their followers, Kawamatsu is really, the only of the Akazaya Samurai who stayed for 20 years without anybody to really be friends with, especially after Hiyori left. All except for Onimaru. Their hard work allows the plan to assault Onigashima possible. Just... Beautiful.
Feb 11, 2021 10:00 PM

Feb 2015
Kawamatsu is another special character, how someone like him couldn’t escape from such a trap. But his story about Hiyori, the frustration that he felt when he lost her and wanted to redeem collecting weapons for the army was sad.
May 3, 2021 8:30 AM

Jul 2013
All this time that fox could transform and he never told Kawamatsu? What a sly fox. Speaking of Kawamatsu, this dude stole fried tofu from the same store everytime lol and got imprisoned for 13 years cause of it.
Sep 10, 2021 9:01 AM

Aug 2021
So that man was Onimaru all along... He protected the swords :D

I liked shushui in Zoro's hands but ig he'll have to let go of it now ;-;
Sep 12, 2021 10:50 AM

Jun 2019
That was an amazing backstory. I enjoyed it very much. I hope they meet again.
Sep 25, 2021 11:24 AM

Sep 2015
Kawamatsu with a Kitsune encounter, cute

Kawamatsu really was one of the only ones to have faith having the Kozuki returning back 13 years later, hence is why he started collecting Katanas from the eternal graves

I'm glad Onimaru is still okay

But Zoro is itching to get the blade Enma now.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Oct 24, 2021 12:21 PM

Mar 2010
Damn damn damn, was hoping for that fox and kappa to reunite.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 13, 2021 2:32 PM
May 2020
zoro getting brucked with the Enma sword
Jun 11, 2022 9:36 PM

Dec 2012
A Kappa and a fox...quite the peculiar combo. I like the thematic sentiment behind arming the remnants of Wano samurai with the swords of those who have already fallen. To carry their spirit forward and reclaim their homeland from Orochi & Kaido. And in a way, I do like the notion of Zoro giving up Shisui and taking up the sword of the samurai who stood beside Gol D Roger back in the day. I've also come to respect Wano's reverence for Ryuma and how much that katana truly means to them.

That was a surprise to see how strong Oden really was if he was able to break through Kaido's scales.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 842 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

20 by FedeMetal »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 402 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 24, 2009

82 by gannoncannon55 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 401 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 16, 2009

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 400 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Miked - May 9, 2009

135 by gannoncannon55 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 399 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faded_Star - Feb 14, 2009

92 by gannoncannon55 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.