Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 12, 2020 4:50 PM

Apr 2016
Would be nice if this would be approved, considering this is the original source material on which the anime and manga are based on, both of which have already approved pages here on MAL.
Dec 26, 2020 8:18 AM

Mar 2020
It takes MAL months to approve stuff for some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if it took them 6 months to finally approve it.
Dec 27, 2020 12:56 AM

Apr 2016
Yeah, not expecting much either. I mean, is it too much to ask that if some anime and/or manga gets approved you automatically check if the source material is in order too? How many seconds does that take? It just looks extremely sloppy and lazy and has this semblance of "not giving a fuck"...
Pit93Dec 27, 2020 1:03 AM
Dec 28, 2020 6:26 AM

Mar 2020
It doesn't look like they don't give a fuck, it's pretty much what it is.
Checking and approving stuff takes less than 10 minutes, yet they take months to do it. Everything they need to approve this novel is on Wikipedia, I know it is because I updated the Otherside Picnic's article myself. It's frustrating having to wait months for a novel or a manga to get approved, specially when anime gets approved fast as hell.
Dec 28, 2020 9:05 PM
Feb 2014
I started the novels in anticipation for the anime, and even submitted the cover photo for this page, but nothing. How is it this site has been around for so damn long and its still next to impossible to get in contact with a mod?
Dec 29, 2020 3:58 AM

Apr 2016
But hey, at least the amazon links already work....
Jan 2, 2021 8:10 AM

Mar 2015
I was wondering myself why I couldn't find the novel in the MAL search results. It's still in approving process, but I like to add it to my "reading" list as the first omnibus volume is out now :/
Jan 3, 2021 9:11 AM

Apr 2016
Don't know about omnibus but yeah, I'd like to add it myself. Read the 4th volume this week. :/
Jan 3, 2021 10:35 AM

Mar 2020
The anime is gonna air soon and it's still not approved, MAL is great...
Jan 8, 2021 12:42 AM

Apr 2009
Second episode soon and the DB mods still can't be bothered to make a few clicks.
Jan 26, 2021 11:05 AM
Jul 2019
Can we just call some mod to solve this? i want to add this soon
Jan 26, 2021 9:11 PM
Aug 2018
There's been some changes (approved cover art, changed from Light Novel -> Novel) so hoping for good news soon.
Feb 2, 2021 10:00 AM

Mar 2020
Not sure what was the point in changing the type to Novel when it's a Light Novel.
Feb 2, 2021 4:24 PM
Aug 2018
The guidelines for the MAL database decides the type of book based off the original Japanese publishing.

Otherside Picnic is published in Japan under Hayakawa Publishing. They label their works as science fiction and don't use light novel. It's just a technicality with the publisher.
Feb 5, 2021 5:06 AM
May 2015
it's actually funny that this novel is waiting for approval for so long when it already has a synopsis and background filled in + it's even stated that it has english novel adaptation. So the japanese novel is basically left in a half-non-existent state lol
Feb 6, 2021 6:45 AM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Just to clear any misunderstanding that may be present:

At this moment, the novel for Urasekai Picnic is ineligible as it is a regular novel, in comparison to being a light novel. However, with a new database rule currently in the works, it will eventually become eligible.

@kuuderes_shadow pretty much said it best:
Hayakawa Bunko JA is a bit of an oddity, even among the labels that fall into the grey zone between "a light novel label" and "not a light novel label", in that its position has shifted over time, and not just in one direction. It is officially a sci-fi label, and not a light novel one, but it is also one of the labels that the term "light novel" was applied to from very early on, and it has repeatedly appeared to flirt with the idea of becoming one. It even launched a light novel-esque subdivision of the label at one point, only to then seem to forget that it had done so, treating those titles that had been under it in the same manner as everything else for the rest of their publishing run.

That said, this series would definitely be allowed under 1.2.5 when the status of this is changed to allow their submission.

And to explain the changes that have been made to this entry, that is simply because I thought users would prefer it if this entry looked more "official". It also makes the approval process quicker when this entry will eventually be eligible, as we won't have to do any more additional research to approve it. In addition, people who put this entry in their favourites would probably prefer it if this novel had cover art when it shows up in their profile.

tl;dr
Urasekai Picnic is a novel, so it's not eligible.
It will be eligible when manga DB rule I.2.5 is put in place.
The changes to this entry is to facilitate the approval process when it will be eligible.

Thank you for your understanding.
Feb 7, 2021 11:46 AM

Apr 2009
How come we have stuff like Ginga Bishie Densetsu approved in the database then?
Feb 7, 2021 1:33 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Nanaca said:
How come we have stuff like Ginga Bishie Densetsu approved in the database then?

As far as I'm aware, that is because it was added back when the manga database guidelines were a lot more ambiguous. Back then, there wasn't a clear notion of what was considered a novel/light novel for moderators (or at least that's what I think happened). I imagine that it was left in the database, since it would eventually be eligible once rule I.2.5 is official.
Feb 7, 2021 2:12 PM

Feb 2018
Phloup said:
Nanaca said:

As far as I'm aware, that is because it was added back when the manga database guidelines were a lot more ambiguous. Back then, there wasn't a clear notion of what was considered a novel/light novel for moderators (or at least that's what I think happened). I imagine that it was left in the database, since it would eventually be eligible once rule I.2.5 is official.

Just curious, but why is it only 1980s and after? I get why there would be some limit as to not include like, Japanese historical literature (and to have it be manageable), but I feel like stuff like Japan Sinks would make sense to get added.
Feb 8, 2021 9:02 AM

Apr 2009
TheFlyingOrange said:
Phloup said:

Just curious, but why is it only 1980s and after? I get why there would be some limit as to not include like, Japanese historical literature (and to have it be manageable), but I feel like stuff like Japan Sinks would make sense to get added.

Probably to limit us to more or less the light novels era. Too bad this rule also bars us from the comedy gold of having Mein Kampf in the database - we'll have to make do with just Addie himself.
Mar 20, 2021 11:39 PM

Mar 2020
meanwhile, anilist doesn't even have it in database
Mar 21, 2021 9:41 AM

Mar 2018
KuroNekoAlchemy said:

Anilist doesn't accept adding Novels into their Database. Since the Author deliberately himself said it's a Novel and not a Light Novel, the Mods didn't accepted my submission.
Mar 21, 2021 11:30 PM

Mar 2020
Tjerbor said:
KuroNekoAlchemy said:

Anilist doesn't accept adding Novels into their Database. Since the Author deliberately himself said it's a Novel and not a Light Novel, the Mods didn't accepted my submission.

same here tbh, even tho by all means it is light novel lmao
Mar 23, 2021 10:11 PM
Feb 2014
Tjerbor said:
KuroNekoAlchemy said:

Thats so stupid. Why does it even matter if its a Light Novel or Regular Novel? It has anime styled artwork and even has an anime adaptation, so it should be eligible to be on the site. There are so many novel series being printed in English by Light Novel/Manga publishers that I wanna add onto my list but dont even have a page.
Mar 24, 2021 3:16 AM

Mar 2018
AnimeFlyz said:
Tjerbor said:

Thats so stupid. Why does it even matter if its a Light Novel or Regular Novel? It has anime styled artwork and even has an anime adaptation, so it should be eligible to be on the site. There are so many novel series being printed in English by Light Novel/Manga publishers that I wanna add onto my list but dont even have a page.

some sites need to draw a line somewhere before they have to add literally everything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(although i agree with you on this one)
Mar 24, 2021 6:44 AM
Feb 2014
Tjerbor said:
AnimeFlyz said:

some sites need to draw a line somewhere before they have to add literally everything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The line should literally just be "Is this somehwhat similar to anime and made in Japan?"

It also wouldn't hurt if it was easier to actually contact moderators instead of sending a message into the void and hoping I get a response in 6 months.
Mar 24, 2021 8:04 AM

Mar 2018
AnimeFlyz said:
Tjerbor said:

The line should literally just be "Is this somehwhat similar to anime and made in Japan?"

It also wouldn't hurt if it was easier to actually contact moderators instead of sending a message into the void and hoping I get a response in 6 months.

lets face it, anything that isn't popular will not get a fast pass of review as there isn't a huge urgency/priority
MAL has been like this forerver which is why i went over to Anilist. MAL just doesn't go with the time
Jul 25, 2021 8:58 AM

Feb 2009
So when is this finally getting approved?
Jul 30, 2021 10:56 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
@Pit93 @roguezilla @AnimeFlyz @Pumpumkin-Pumkin @Kbenicio @frozen_lights @killerprinz @Nanaca @KuroNekoAlchemy @Tjerbor

Sorry for the wait! The novel has now been added to the database.

ninryu said:

Yesterday :D

AnimeFlyz said:

If you have any questions regarding the manga database, you are free to message me whenever you like (this goes for anybody else who sees this). I'm also sure that the other moderators will be more than welcome to answer your queries.
Jul 31, 2021 12:50 AM

Feb 2009
Thank you! I've been looking forward to finally adding it to my list.
Jul 31, 2021 5:04 AM
Aug 2018
Phloup said:
@Pit93 @roguezilla @AnimeFlyz @Pumpumkin-Pumkin @Kbenicio @frozen_lights @killerprinz @Nanaca @KuroNekoAlchemy @Tjerbor

ninryu said:

AnimeFlyz said:

If you have any questions regarding the manga database, you are free to message me whenever you like (this goes for anybody else who sees this). I'm also sure that the other moderators will be more than welcome to answer your queries.

Thank you sooooo much. :')
Jul 31, 2021 5:47 AM
Jul 2019
Phloup said:

ninryu said:

AnimeFlyz said:

thank you! (character limit)
Jul 31, 2021 9:26 AM

Mar 2020
Phloup said:

ninryu said:

AnimeFlyz said:

thanks!
what about https://myanimelist.net/manga/134999/Kakushigoto ?
Aug 2, 2021 10:46 AM

Apr 2016
Phloup said:

ninryu said:

AnimeFlyz said:

Thx, just in time for volume 5 to drop this month. ^^
Sep 7, 2021 5:53 AM

Sep 2020
Ohh~ Finally, I was able to add the novel in my list. Thank youu
it’s never too late for life ... to go horribly wrong. . . afff~
Oct 13, 2022 3:46 AM
Oct 2015
i've only been able to find like 2 chapters of this novel and let me tell you, this is SO DIFFERENT than the manga and the anime, like holy shit.

I feel like i'm reading "the martian" novel, or something similar to the space odyssy.
its NOT a light novel but a real novel, it reads almost like some kind of personal coming of age story, very different than the anime which basicly makes it yuri bait.

the protagonist feels like mark watney from the martian novel i can't describe it well, but it doesn't read like a light novel at all. theres a lot of description and prose only zaregoto has more i think.

i get why it took so long to put this here though, since i don't think it fits being on this site ether, probably should be in goodreads.com or something
Oct 13, 2022 4:21 AM

Nov 2018
Neostorm-X said:
i've only been able to find like 2 chapters of this novel and let me tell you, this is SO DIFFERENT than the manga and the anime, like holy shit.

I feel like i'm reading "the martian" novel, or something similar to the space odyssy.
its NOT a light novel but a real novel, it reads almost like some kind of personal coming of age story, very different than the anime which basicly makes it yuri bait.

the protagonist feels like mark watney from the martian novel i can't describe it well, but it doesn't read like a light novel at all. theres a lot of description and prose only zaregoto has more i think.

i get why it took so long to put this here though, since i don't think it fits being on this site ether, probably should be in goodreads.com or something
Yeah but people never want to give books with words in them a read so it gets buried. This is why I tell people to read the manga coz compared to the anime it's miles better.
Oct 13, 2022 8:11 AM

Apr 2016
vp787 said:
Yeah but people never want to give books with words in them a read so it gets buried. This is why I tell people to read the manga coz compared to the anime it's miles better.

Usually, yeah. Though sometimes I think the anime does its source material justice or even improves on it. Very rarely I actually find it way better. ^^
Oct 13, 2022 2:11 PM
Oct 2015
vp787 said:
Neostorm-X said:

i haven't seen the anime but i listed to the sound track and holy shit it is insanely good

More topics from this board

» What's your favourite arc atm

vp787 - Jan 16, 2021

5 by TheMadnils »»
Aug 29, 2023 9:12 AM

» where does the anime leave off?

cloudmask - Mar 31, 2021

2 by cloudmask »»
Mar 31, 2021 9:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.