Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2020 4:59 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That's some pretty tough armor that Dai went up against, not to mention the deadly magic.

I gotta give some credit to Dai for facing that sort of threat head on. Felt bad for Dai this episode. He looked beat up and helpless after that.
Dec 11, 2020 5:23 PM

Sep 2018
It's so funny and... weird that the story is getting better and better but Mal score is getting lower and lower while Imdb rating is continuously increasing through each episode lmao :))
Btw, Good episode this week with some Hyunkel's past.
Dec 11, 2020 6:31 PM

Feb 2019
Man I wasn’t expecting Crocodine to come to Dai’s rescue, but good thing he did because shit was getting hectic.

You have to empathise with Hyunckel somewhat. But him being blinded by rage is pretty stupid IMO. Yea, your father died, but he was a general for someone bent on destroying the world. It’s not like he was raising puppies and Avan just murdered him. But shonen’s gonna shonen.

Really enjoyed the episode as usual, can’t wait to see what Dai and Pop cook up to get Maam back.
Dec 11, 2020 6:41 PM
Oct 2016
A major loss at the hands of Hyunckel. Whom in my opinion is the most interesting antagonist, if not character as a whole, we've meet thus far. His backstory being so similar to what Dai went through. So much so that it holds Dai back from summoning his crest through that anger we've seen him use. Hyunckel is completely ruthless. He doesn't care what spells or attacks our heroes try he just swats it away like a fly. Maam even going outside the box with that dazzle spell but it not being enough to fool Hyunckel. That backstory we got for him this episode is really sad. It made me feel for the guy. Crocodine coming in for the save was epic! Talk about an unlikely ally but after his fight against our heroes he's had his eyes opened to the strength of humans and now respects them. Crocodine also sees through Hyunckel facade and knows that Hyunckel is just in this for himself not the dark army. Its a shame that Dai and Popp have to leave Maam behind but don't worry she's not just gonna sit around a cell waiting for help. The boys have to go off and train real quick with this new guy who comes to their aid.
Dec 11, 2020 6:52 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was fun. Man Hyunckel had a good monster parent despite what he was, and he was always happy with him. But as they say unfortunately they get killed. Hyunckel got stronger just to kill Avan, but was unlucky to not get that chance to do so. That aside, Hyunckel's power is no joke. The fact he managed to drove Dai, Popp, and Maam to the corner is not something so simple. Even so Dai and Popp get saved by Crocodine who seems to have a fondness of humans, and tries to convince Hynckel that it is okay to be human. Then his dying words is that he hopes to be reborn as a human. Then Hyunckel is taking Maam hostage so that will get Dai and Popp out in the open so he can finish the job. What an episode. Looking forward to the next episode.
Dec 11, 2020 7:41 PM
Sep 2015
Hyunckel has such a sad backstory, but that also give him a high chance to change to good side. Though I think he's skilled enough to fight three of them without using armor, he looks sexier in his usual cloth, and no cloth...

PS Amdo spell is just "Armed" spelled in Japanese accent?
Dec 11, 2020 8:47 PM

Jan 2012
Wow, the Crocodine heel/face turn came much sooner than I expected. Mind you I haven't actually read the source material for this so I wasn't sure it would happen, but I had a feeling it might. And I liked it, even if he's really dead now but hopefully he's not. Hyunckel's backstory I'm a bit less enthusiastic regarding. I enjoyed the raised by monsters parallel it has with Dai's own, but part of me just found it a bit too silly. Oh no, skeleton papa turned to dust! Ya know? Plus part of me wonders if Avan was even the real one who killed him, the already undead skeleton, but probably. Regardless good stuff yet again. This Zapple in next week's title...Is it a lightning spell Dai and Pop will need to cast together or something? That's my guess anyway.
Dec 11, 2020 11:33 PM

Jan 2009
Avan killed the father of Hyunckel eh and now he is a misanthrope

im curious about that Air Slash move that is suppose to be better than Avan Strash

will Crocodine die too though i hope not

Maam is taken as hostage lets see how they will rescue her next episode
Dec 12, 2020 12:00 AM

Jun 2020
Crocodine goes down (?) but props for the dude to actually change his outlook on humans after losing instead of bearing a grudge. It's untypical of a monster, so it's nice to see.
This anime shit is addictive
Dec 12, 2020 12:03 AM

May 2012
deg said:

im curious about that Air Slash move that is suppose to be better than Avan Strash

No

But you need to learn slice the earth, sea and air before you do Avan strash. Dai's Avan strash is not real avan strash because he did not learn how to slice the air.

However, the reason why Dai's incomplete avan strash was able to do a lot of damage to hadlar and crocodine because he had Dragon Crest on his head . Dragon Crest increase Dai power by huge margin and even normal attacks become strong.
thepathDec 12, 2020 5:24 AM
Dec 12, 2020 12:26 AM

Jan 2009
thepath said:
deg said:

No

But you need to learn slice the earth, sea and air before you do Avan strash. Dai's Avan strash is not real avan strash because he did not learn how to slice the air.

However, the reason why Dai's incomplete avan strash was able to do a lot of damage to hadlar and crocodine because he had Dragon Crest on his head . Dragon Crest increase Dai power by huge margin and even normal become strong.

ah ok i misunderstood then ye Dai did not learn how to cut the air yet and that was the air slash is suppose to be and its the missing piece on how to do a complete Avan Strash
Dec 12, 2020 2:10 AM

Feb 2017
I wonder if Crocodine is still alive or he will become an undead soldier for Hyunkel. Didn't expect him to save them, thought it would be Leona and her men.
Dec 12, 2020 2:13 AM

Sep 2019
Hyunkel’s backstory was sad, I felt bad for him. I didn’t expect Crocodine to save Dai, I think Dai’ll get some kind of power up and get back at Hyunkel.
Dec 12, 2020 2:23 AM

Feb 2015
I don't understand. I thought monsters were mindless rampaging killing machines under the influence of Hadlar (like we saw it with Brass), and now in Hyunckel's backstory we see that they are pretty much like humans, being nice guys and having feelings and a free mind. They even adopted a human baby while being at war against humanity. This doesn't make any sense, and because of that I thought that Hyunckel sob story was pretty incoherent and stupid.

Also, in the last episode we saw an almost dead Crocodine being healed in Hadlar's fortress, and now we see him appearing right where Dai is and just at the right moment, almost magically like a typical, bad and convenient deus ex machina.

For all these reasons, the episode wasn't very good to me.
Dec 12, 2020 2:49 AM

May 2015
EckhartPilgrim said:
I don't understand. I thought monsters were mindless rampaging killing machines under the influence of Hadlar (like we saw it with Brass), and now in Hyunckel's backstory we see that they are pretty much like humans, being nice guys and having feelings and a free mind. They even adopted a human baby while being at war against humanity. This doesn't make any sense, and because of that I thought that Hyunckel sob story was pretty incoherent and stupid.
It depends of the monster. If you ever played any DQ, you would know all monster are not braindead. Basically, if they are humanoids (and/or have some kind o clothing), you can assume they have some lvl of consciousness/intelligence. Most monster you saw rampaging earlier are beast type, not undead.
Dec 12, 2020 2:55 AM

Sep 2018
EckhartPilgrim said:

Also, in the last episode we saw an almost dead Crocodine being healed in Hadlar's fortress, and now we see him appearing right where Dai is and just at the right moment, almost magically like a typical, bad and convenient deus ex machina.

For all these reasons, the episode wasn't very good to me.

***HEAVY spoilers alert!!!

DragonKnight92Dec 12, 2020 3:09 AM
Dec 12, 2020 4:10 AM
Nov 2020
If Dai used the Dragon Crest that time, Hyunkel must have been defeated easily. Great episode tho!
Dec 12, 2020 4:15 AM

Sep 2015
Silverstorm92 said:
It's so funny and... weird that the story is getting better and better but Mal score is getting lower and lower while Imdb rating is continuously increasing through each episode lmao :))
Btw, Good episode this week with some Hyunkel's past.

MAL scores can be misleading during the early parts of any series. Most of these low scores will be form people who were like "this is so childish" and dropped it after episode one or two. The real score can only be judged later on after the series conclusion where only the scores of those who watched considerable part of the series will count.
Dec 12, 2020 7:05 AM

Jun 2013
Lack of the bloods makes this new one looks weaker than the old one. Back when i watched the old series i was very impressed with the bloody battle between them, but i can not feel any hyped in this fight.
Dec 12, 2020 7:28 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
What an episode.

Hyunckel and his hatred toward Avan had a big impact of his desire to beat Dai, as another Avan's disciple. I am kinda pity to his past. But its also couldn't be denied. Avan just did his task. Everything was actually just a misunderstandment between those twos. Then, its getting worse by knewing the fact that his savior was the one of Hadlar's legion commander. Its making him more difficult to realized the situations behind the scene, like how Crocodine felt. Yes, that monster, such a nice twist. He, after getting beaten, realized that feeling, and decided to save Dai at the end. I really hope he could survived again with all of that injury. Because, currently, i am already grow a satisfaction over his character development ....

So, the round two might be happened next. Lets see if Dai can surpass him at that time. And the real identity of that old man too. Was he related to the princess? Well, really looking forward to see the next episode!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 12, 2020 7:36 AM

Aug 2013
Crocodine came out of nowhere lol.

I don't know if I should feel sorry for Hyunckel. His backstory may be sad but I just don't understand his hatred.

Dec 12, 2020 8:31 AM

Jun 2015
Eh... The Amudo transform sequence didn't look as impressive with all that shining. Traditional animation did justice.
Dec 12, 2020 8:35 AM

Feb 2012
Leo said:

Teleportation spells and items acting as such (chimaera wing. Hadlar used one already) are a common thing in DQ lore.

Expect lot of similar situations to happen.
Dec 12, 2020 8:38 AM

Jun 2015
OmniKaiser said:
Leo said:

Teleportation spells and items acting as such (chimaera wing. Hadlar used one already) are a common thing in DQ lore.

Expect lot of similar situations to happen.

This.
But I remember still being in shock with Crocodine coming out of good will when I first watched this.
Dec 12, 2020 8:55 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I wasn't expecting Crocodine to come in and make a save, but Dai took a major L in fighting Hyunckel. Hopefully Dai can learn how to slice the Air soon so he can do the true Avan Strash.
Dec 12, 2020 9:07 AM

Mar 2020
Well battle between Dai and Hyunckel ends in Hyunckel's victory...

Hyunckel backstory...not a happy one now is it?

Crocodine with not much screen time this episode however his actions was one of a hero! Sacrificing his life so another can live...I salute you Crocodine...

Good episode :)
Dec 12, 2020 11:58 AM

Jun 2011
Another great episode.. Hyunckel shined with his abilities & back story.
oh God, Crocodine's tears scene is one of my favorite in the series.. i love it specially in the 90's series.

Hits me on many levels..
Dec 12, 2020 12:16 PM

Sep 2007
Hyunkel's armor is still one of the most impressive i had see. It really give him an strong and menacing presence.
Dai's rescue by Krokodine remains a great moment. He regained his pride after his defeat.
Censorship remains low apart from the green blood which remains inconsistent with the original.
Dec 12, 2020 3:01 PM

Apr 2016
I’ve to be honest, this is the first episode that I don’t like (I think at least). Let’s see what will happen now.
Dec 12, 2020 3:58 PM
Jul 2018
it was interesting to know about Hyunckel's past.

Dec 12, 2020 10:04 PM

Oct 2017
Damn respect for Crocodine, rest in peace my man and hope your dream come true.
Dec 13, 2020 9:31 AM

Mar 2010
Whoa a thoroughly enjoyable episode, while learning about hyunkals reasonable hatred and dais unwillingness to go all out. Well played.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 13, 2020 9:38 AM
Oct 2019
Wow what an Powerful Episode....

Hyunckel backstory was Tragic and Sad..

It's like the Character was made to be voice by Yuki Kaji... Really fit well.

Oh my, I'm shocked didn't expect Crocodine to come and save Dai... You have my respect now!!!

What an Interesting Character Development for him and it makes me want to see more, hopefully he didn't die from that..

The Story was getting better and better every episode and arc...

Sadly people been sleeping on this...
Dragon Quest Dai deserved more attention...

HectorBlaze said:
I’ve to be honest, this is the first episode that I don’t like (I think at least). Let’s see what will happen now.

Wait what??? I wonder why....

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeApr 6, 2021 2:41 PM
Dec 13, 2020 10:39 AM

Apr 2016
davidyodo24 said:
HectorBlaze said:

Wait what??? I wonder why....

Honestly, I find it to be pretty boring and the thing with Crocodine was handled in a pretty shallow way. Moreover, the thing about Maam was forced from my point of view and well, I find it to be pretty stupid too. Let’s see how things turn now.
Dec 13, 2020 11:37 AM

Sep 2007
HectorBlaze said:

Honestly, I find it to be pretty boring and the thing with Crocodine was handled in a pretty shallow way. Moreover, the thing about Maam was forced from my point of view and well, I find it to be pretty stupid too.

Well it all happens too quickly given the pace of this remake. During the last episode we see Krokodine in his regeneration jar and in this one he magically appears (without a bad pun). In the original there are about three episodes between these two moments.

For Maam she hasn't much of a choice since Dai and Pop were beaten. Just a little plan showing she is actually scared of Hyunkel would have been nice.
Dec 13, 2020 1:20 PM

May 2018
Hyunckel is too OP wow! How will Dai and Popp be able to beat him now?
Dec 14, 2020 6:04 AM

Oct 2008
i salute to Crocodinefor not letting Hyunckel deliver the final blow and saving Dai!
5/5.

Dec 14, 2020 4:38 PM

Nov 2020
Another awesome episode.
Dec 15, 2020 12:40 AM
May 2020
Dai cannot catch a break these days. always being the guy that gets whacked the most and all. but i am starting to enjoy the fact that the story is progressively getting better and i was also astonished by the fact that crocodine sacrificed himself for Dai and the gang which gave us a lovely bit of juxtaposition in that a monster gained humanity while Hyunckel lost his. overall the episode gave us a cliffhanger and i cannot wait for the next episode ahlie :)
Dec 16, 2020 7:48 AM

May 2015
Inuki said:
HectorBlaze said:

Honestly, I find it to be pretty boring and the thing with Crocodine was handled in a pretty shallow way. Moreover, the thing about Maam was forced from my point of view and well, I find it to be pretty stupid too.

Well it all happens too quickly given the pace of this remake. During the last episode we see Krokodine in his regeneration jar and in this one he magically appears (without a bad pun). In the original there are about three episodes between these two moments.

For Maam she hasn't much of a choice since Dai and Pop were beaten. Just a little plan showing she is actually scared of Hyunkel would have been nice.
yet, the pacing is the same as the manga pacing.
Dec 17, 2020 7:01 PM

Nov 2018
Crocodine come to Dai’s rescue
the old soundtrack was much better

More topics from this board

» NEW ANIME PROJECT CONFIRMED

SOSYBOI - Mar 11, 2023

12 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:53 AM

Poll: » Choose the best arc(s) in Dai no Daibouken!

DragonKnight92 - Oct 21, 2022

10 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

35 by Teirayo »»
Mar 30, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

132 by MonkeyDKyle »»
Mar 27, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2020

50 by Teirayo »»
Mar 27, 7:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.