Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 3, 2008 2:47 PM

Feb 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So the chairman did something to the winning paper they both threw in... but where did the hidden paper go?

( And he is so mean, pretending to win with the first draw :< )
Apr 3, 2008 2:48 PM

Jun 2007
He gets crueler. MUCH creuler.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Apr 3, 2008 2:58 PM

May 2007
is the sub version out of ep 25?
cant wait 2 see it ^^
“If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win.”
Apr 3, 2008 3:02 PM

Feb 2007
Nay, I watched the raw since I couldn't wait any longer >_<, but I hardly understood x__x
KanaApr 3, 2008 3:16 PM
Apr 3, 2008 3:45 PM

May 2007
oow haha lol xD then still need 2 wait for the subs ^^ cause I dont understand it togood without xD
“If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win.”
Apr 9, 2008 5:20 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I'm glad things happened like they did. Until Kaiji drawed, this episode was so boring. Everything's been boring ever since they made the cheating obvious. Sucks for a show like this.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 9, 2008 5:53 PM

Apr 2007
I wonder what the chairman did to the winning lot? He was the last one to touch it when placed inside the tissue box. His hand also looked suspicious when he took it out of the box. We didn't see his palm when he removed his hand. I can't wait for the finale to find out.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Apr 9, 2008 8:25 PM

Oct 2007
What the hell, did he really know it was on the side.

Apr 9, 2008 8:34 PM

Jan 2007
i'm with cyruz, it was boring till Kaiji started drawing. even then, it wasn't that great.
Apr 9, 2008 9:05 PM

Oct 2007
I really don't understand how you could find this episode boring. The tension and atmosphere in this episode was so tense I was sitting in awe the entire time. Seeing how Kaiji reacted after he realized the lot wasn't there was one of the most well done scenes I've ever seen. You could truly feel his fear and his uncontrollable shaking.

Can't wait for the finale, it's going to be special.

Just hope we don't have to wait another month for it, lol.
Apr 10, 2008 12:46 AM

Feb 2007
I also agree with Cyruz and Faust.

Yeah, it was full of tension as usual DigimonTamer, but I found it to be way too much, even for a show like this. It felt over-dramatic. I just wanted those two lots to be drawn quicker.

I've got a feeling now that Kaiji is going to lose in the finale.
Apr 10, 2008 1:07 AM

Apr 2007
I don't think Kaiji will lose. That would make the whole 'Ultimate Survivor' part of the title a lie. But then again, I have no idea how he expects to win either other than pure luck.

Overdramatic much?
tainteddonutApr 10, 2008 10:26 AM

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Apr 10, 2008 3:12 AM

Feb 2008
Imo, this episode only got interesting once the drawing started.
I wonder what the chairman did with the winning lot, it seemed he grabbed it. Can't wait to for the last episode to find it out :D
Apr 10, 2008 4:52 AM

Dec 2007
Great episode, hate to say it but I do hope Kaiji loses next episode just because it would fit with how strange this show really is.
Apr 10, 2008 12:45 PM
Aug 2007
Nice episode. The twist made it interesting. I hope Kaiji loses, just because he said he would quit gambling if he wins, and I want a season 2. :P

The chairman was brilliantly cruel as usual. I couldn't help but laugh along with his evil laughter. And he seemed to pull some trick with the winning lot, can't wait to see what.
Apr 10, 2008 1:38 PM

Feb 2008
Finally something happening about the tissue box game. have been a little boring lately ^_^

alot of "zawa" in this episode though :P
Apr 10, 2008 3:33 PM

Aug 2007
zawa zawa ..zawa zawa zawa x36

Took about half the ep just to draw. I thought the peanut-nose actually drew it..tricky bastard
Apr 10, 2008 4:31 PM

Nov 2007
Yes, Kaiji best moments it's when it makes you go "Holy shit, where did that come from". Also, the bridge, which had other kind of tension there.

Back then in the Nice Boat, whenever Kaiji explained his plan before... it failed. And his victories came out from his sleeve...
Apr 10, 2008 7:54 PM

Jul 2007
It was an okay episode. The first half was meh, and the chairman making Kaiji believe he won was expected, but pretty awesome. Now i'm expecting the chairman to have cheated, and i somehow doubt Kaiji can expose his cheating, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Can't wait for the finale, and see if Kaiji really ends up being the ultimate survivor.

Apr 10, 2008 9:25 PM

Sep 2007
Well, the twist of the lot not being there was kind of interesting, but... now what? Intense lot drawing for a full episode? It's not like you can have a strategy when it comes down to something like this... oh wait, the chairman has uber-gambling king powers. meh.

Let's play e-card again...
Apr 10, 2008 10:57 PM

Jun 2007
I do think that the first half of this episode makes a lot more sense once you see episode 26.

Personally, though, I really liked the way that Kaiji and the chairman were going to great lengths to convince the other that they weren't cheating. Because, y'know, both of them obviously are - I mean, I noticed that the chairman's hand was in the box longer as soon as I saw (big, red, flashing lights there) There's a whole subtextual conversation going on for the second third of this episode.

Also, I really enjoyed the "junkie" part (which made little sense in the RAW). I think it really does help build a part of Kaiji's character we first saw on the Espoir - he really just wants to get out of his own hopeless situation. He's not like Akagi, a thrillseeking genius who flirts with his beloved death, but rather an everyman who just wants to live, and needs money to do so. That's a deeper point than a simple psychological thriller can make. The philosophy of the show, as well as its character, really hit home here.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Apr 11, 2008 4:00 AM
Oct 2007
Great episode as usual!

Only one more to go :O
Apr 11, 2008 2:23 PM

Feb 2008
Wuahahahah! so awesome box trick didnt work, o_O
Now I can say conception of Kaiji is the same as Akagi's... Pure imitation, how sad, interesting arcs though.
Apr 11, 2008 5:49 PM

Jan 2008
Torisunanohokori said:
Also, I really enjoyed the "junkie" part (which made little sense in the RAW). I think it really does help build a part of Kaiji's character we first saw on the Espoir - he really just wants to get out of his own hopeless situation. He's not like Akagi, a thrillseeking genius who flirts with his beloved death, but rather an everyman who just wants to live, and needs money to do so. That's a deeper point than a simple psychological thriller can make. The philosophy of the show, as well as its character, really hit home here.

This.

Don't get me wrong, I love these insane gambles with ridiculous wagers as much as the next guy. The more reckless and insane things make them all the more intriguing.

However, these philosophical insights into humanity are a major reason why I watch the show as well. Put them together and you've got an excellent combination.

SunSir said:
Now I can say conception of Kaiji is the same as Akagi's...

Umm, no.

Akagi rapes everyone and anything he touches. He can't lose. The exception is Washizu since he ends up almost dying later on when Washizu realizes that Akagi is an anomaly with a fetish for death and he's been using the wrong strategy the entire time (saying "I'll kill you" to a man with a death wish) so he changes his plan accordingly. Other than that, Akagi murders everybody he comes up against. However, such is not the case with Kaiji.

You see, Toris... in the world of the gambling apocalypse... the bad guys can win.
AkagiApr 11, 2008 5:58 PM
Apr 12, 2008 8:38 AM

Oct 2007
Oh yeah, Akagi is just a flat out beast. I can only imagine how much he would have walked all over Tonegawa in E-card, lol.
Apr 12, 2008 10:16 PM

Nov 2007
Id want to see Washizu and the Chairman gamble against each other. I do think that Washizu was way richer than the Chairman is (at least in his prime, since he was the Shadow King of Japan) so it would be interesting to see who was the better evil bastard old guy.

My conclusion would be that Washizu just likes killing people and winning while the Chairman doesnt really care if he wins or loses as much (still wants to win) but definately enjoys killing people more/watching them suffer.
Apr 19, 2008 7:45 AM

Mar 2008
I think after watching this, I will watch Akagi, too.

You seem to recommend it, too.
Feb 10, 2009 9:40 AM

Jun 2008
Tooooooo fishy
May 4, 2009 8:19 AM

Oct 2008
Too many Akagi spoilers in here. I haven't watched Akagi yet and am watching Kaiji first. Luckily, I don't really know what you guys are talking about and as soon as I saw some more detailed facts about Akagi, hurriedly scrolled down to the bottom of the page.

One more episode to go. Though this arc is weaker than the others, I hope it's an epic and intense finale that suits the atmosphere of this show.
Dec 14, 2009 2:43 PM

Apr 2009
Well it was obvious it wouldn't be that easy, not much of a climax that way, also I can't shake off the feeling that the chairman is cheating, as some have mentioned already he suspiciously removed his hand from the box after Kaiji when they were putting in the winning ticket.
Dec 21, 2009 12:47 PM
Oct 2009
lol they stretched a event that suppose to last for no longer than a few seconds into a whole episode lol..seriously they both hand their hand in the box for like 3mintues...that should not be allowed...
Mar 26, 2010 3:33 AM
Jul 2008
I knew it would come to this besides he probably got the box from somewhere else.
Dec 3, 2010 9:41 PM

May 2010
I'm relieved that Kaiji's cheating will not work coz I want him to win like those previous gambles..

That chairman is getting much crueler. Liked it..

Now, let's see how this end..
Sep 6, 2011 5:30 PM

Jun 2009
Good stuff, probably the best episode in a while. It's funny how some people complain about this series being over dramatic when that has ALWAYS been the case. And, well, it kind of needs to be given the stakes and all.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 19, 2011 10:01 PM

Jun 2008
SO MUCH SUSPENSE!!!!!!

I really don't know how this is going to end....but this has been one hell of an anime!
Nov 1, 2011 7:45 PM

Oct 2011
Wow, the box trick doesn't work..... didn't expect that.
And OMG Kaiji didn't get the winning paper either. wow. Last episode will be great!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2011 11:27 AM

Oct 2008
This uninteresting gamble is being drawn out.

Jul 19, 2012 5:21 PM

Dec 2009
I thought Kaiji kind of deserved it. I mean come on..to believe that you would win with a little trick like that is too naive. He isn't in his right mind, which to me is reasonable. It has been a long night for him already + he lost a lot of blood. Someone needs to smack him and wake him up. As for the next episode I can't picture any happy endings happening is all I can say.
Jun 27, 2014 4:47 PM

Jun 2012
This is getting really intense. I have a feeling the guy in the black suit didnt get the tissue box from the bathroom, but a supply room instead.
Sep 11, 2014 3:47 AM

Nov 2013
There's no psychological aspect to this game at all. All it is is sticking your hand in a box and hoping to draw the winning lot.

Dec 21, 2014 8:06 AM

Dec 2013
Damn twists, I wonder what happened to the winning lot.
Dec 24, 2014 6:22 PM

Jun 2014
yep chairman knew what was going on and moved the fake lot.

such "zawa"
Mar 21, 2015 8:10 AM

Jul 2007
DissonantSoul said:
There's no psychological aspect to this game at all. All it is is sticking your hand in a box and hoping to draw the winning lot.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
May 8, 2015 3:11 AM
Nov 2014
Dat director is one scary ass motherfucker. Kaiji's plan got fucked up, wonder how he will win this game now lol.
Aug 19, 2015 3:05 PM

Jan 2015
Ani-Blast said:
DissonantSoul said:

That. And why the fuck is the old fart allowed to take the box with both hands (probably allowing him to remove the prepared lot) and put it right under his nose when drawing. He can easily see inside like that.
Serves Kaiji right for being greedy and full of shit.
HapHazrDAug 19, 2015 3:08 PM
Oct 24, 2015 8:00 PM

Aug 2013
There was that odd shot where Kaiji and the old man put the paper and the old man kept his finger on it. I'm wondering if he took it out and is just fucking with Kaiji, just for the fun of fucking with Kaiji.

Dear Lord, Kaiji fucked up big time.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 23, 2015 5:32 AM

Jul 2013
Welp goodbye Kaiji, you had a good run.
Feb 11, 2016 10:56 PM

Dec 2012
Never thought I'd see the day where I'd be holding my breath while watching a tissue box lottery. I get the feeling the director is making Kaiji dance to his tune. When they were setting the winning draw, his hand was in the box slightly longer than Kaiji. I think he used that time to slide it into the bottom of the box so he can draw it at any time, most likely after Kaiji is at his complete mental limit.
Feb 28, 2016 3:50 PM

Mar 2012
People complaining about the game when the focus is Kaii's reactions and solutions to the problems he faces.

Just because it's not as good as the E card match doesn't make it bad or boring. He came up with a cunning strategy to outsmart the cheats, was slick enough to trick them into letting him get his way with the gamble preparations, and now we see him go from relief to utter despair after finding out that the winning lot that was put in for him is missing.

Quite entertaining so far for a simple lottery game.
May 16, 2016 8:21 PM
Jun 2013
Too much unnecessary dialogue. More than 8 minutes passed before the game started smh and then the entire episode done with them both only pulling one piece of paper each.

This is soooo anticlimactic.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 23, 2007

136 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 28, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.