Forum Settings
Forums

people with a mother tongue other than english, do you watch english dubs?

New
Dec 5, 2020 10:27 PM
Dec 2017
exactly what the title says. also, if available do you watch anime dubed to your own language?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 5, 2020 10:35 PM

Jul 2020
My mother tongue is Urdu but I watch English dub because English is my first language in India lol.They showed Detective conan,Pokemon,Doraemon,Shin-chan and other kids shows in Hindi dub in Indian Television.I never watched Detective conan in hindi dub but my sister did.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 5, 2020 10:40 PM

Jan 2020
I'm not a native English speaker, but I don't really mind watching English dubs. Though, I mostly watch subtitled versions because I prefer Japanese voice acting a lot more to English voice acting. There certainly are exceptions (such as Death Note and Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo), but they are very few in numbers.
Dec 5, 2020 10:43 PM
Dec 2013
No, not really. I always go for the original language source. Even Hollywood movies are foreign language movies to me as a European, I wouldn't wach them dubbed in my "mother tongue" either. Too much is lost, too me, when you dub it into another language.
Dec 5, 2020 10:47 PM

Apr 2020
English is my second language but I kinda use it a bit more than my mother tongue (which shall not be revealed). I do watch English dubs before, but those times on anime are only counted by hand.

Dec 5, 2020 10:48 PM

Jul 2020
raiderublaze said:
English is my second language but I kinda use it a bit more than my mother tongue (which shall not be revealed). I do watch English dubs before, but those times on anime are only counted by hand.

It is not a sub vs dub forum.He asked if you watched dub even if you're not a native English speaker.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 5, 2020 10:48 PM

Apr 2018
My native language is Spanish, but i've been bilingual since i was a kid. I was always used to consuming all kinds of English-language media, so yes, i am open to watching English-dubbed anime if they sound decent enough, though i primarily watch subs.

I've never watched Spanish-dubbed anime, though, and i can't say i'd be interested in doing so. Throughout my life, i've had to watch many Spanish-audio Hollywood films around my family and i generally find them awful, so i can't imagine Spanish anime dubs would sound any better.
Stygian_PrisonerDec 5, 2020 10:54 PM
Dec 5, 2020 10:50 PM

Apr 2020
Scordolo said:
raiderublaze said:

It is not a sub vs dub forum.He asked if you watched dub even if you're not a native English speaker.

Yes I kinda joked around, it was just a misconception from me.
Dec 5, 2020 10:59 PM

Aug 2019
I speak both English and Spanish but at the end of the day I’ll never watch anime in anything besides Japanese, except for Cowboy Bebop because of Steve Blum.
Dec 5, 2020 11:00 PM
Jan 2020
I am Bangladeshi. I know both Bengali, Hindi/Urdu and English. Also trying to learn a bit of Japanese. I watch anime always on English Dubs and Original Japanese versions. I am not a native english speaker. But I love watching english dubs. I tried to watch an obscure anime from 70s (maybe a baseball anime) in italian dub (i don't know this language) but I gave up . So english dubs and japanese are the only for me in anime.
Dec 5, 2020 11:07 PM
May 2020
My native language is Indonesian, though i don't mind watching english dub to get better experience in certain shows like Ghost Stories, Golden Boy, Baccano!, and shows i watch when doing something so i don't have to stare the screen to know the subs.
Dec 5, 2020 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
I only watch subs. English dub is hard to listen to, it sounds unnatural.
Dec 5, 2020 11:15 PM

Aug 2017
Mainly sub unless it's like Yu Yu Hakusho or Death Note. If I'm watching dub, it's cause I'm lazy to read subtitles or watching it with other people.
Dec 5, 2020 11:20 PM

May 2020
No, subs all the way. English Dubs(few exceptions) and dubs in my mother tongue are trash.
Dec 5, 2020 11:24 PM
Jul 2020
Since i started recently yes i started with english dub but now i watch english dub or sub even tho it is my 3rd language
Dec 5, 2020 11:27 PM

Jun 2020
Only for animes that have a good dub, for example, Cowboy Bebop has an amazing dub and I watched it in that.
Dec 5, 2020 11:41 PM

Jul 2020
I'm a Korean and I used to watch old animes in dub like Dragonball Z or Inuyasha when I was in middle school(since I used to study abroad). When I came back to Korea, I'm used to watching in all Korean dub, English dub, and Japanese subbed, but mainly I watch in Japanese subbed since I started learning Japanese.

For Korean dub, I remember watching Naruto and One Piece through TV, but I switched to English dub to see recent ones, and now I watch them in subs.
Even if I'm alone, I'll go, even if I want to die.
I can hear your voice, saying I shouldn't die.
Even if it's difficult, even if I cry from loneliness
I can feel warmth from deep inside my heart.

Going round-and-round and flowing, time is ever-changing.
I can't remember what happened anymore, but
If I try and close my eyes, I can hear someone's laughing voice
For some reason, now, that is My Most Precious Treasure.

from Ichiban no Takaramono, by LiSA
Dec 5, 2020 11:50 PM

Oct 2016
I prefer to watch everything in its original language and only dubbed when I can't find the original subbed version. I also watch stuff with english subs when it comes to anime, they come out sooner than in spanish, and the subtitles are often better.
Dec 5, 2020 11:57 PM

Mar 2012
I used to watch anime in English dub because that's what Animax aired, I've also watched some in a local dub when I was small. My mother tongue is a very niche regional language so I doubt a dub even exists. I only watch anime in Japanese now.
Dec 6, 2020 12:04 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
My whole life I've watched all tv-shows and movies (excluding Disney movies and some kids' shows) in their original language with subtitles (Because that is how they are shown on tv, and honestly, it would be weird to dub tv-shows other than little kids' cartoons), so why should I do any differently with anime? I'm also the type of person who adds English subtitles to games even if the characters already speak English.
Dec 6, 2020 12:07 AM
Jul 2019
English is my second language, and my first language is Russian. I watch mainly in sub, but sometimes I watch things in dub, both English and Russian ones. I do not even mind voiceovers. Usually I watch with dubs and voiceovers when I'm watching something in background, and they are not that bad as it often said.
Dec 6, 2020 12:11 AM

Feb 2020
as a german, yes i do i really enjoyed the funanimation dub of Hetalia. and the DBZ dub is great to.
Dec 6, 2020 12:15 AM

Sep 2013
I watch Pokemon series in English dub.
Dec 6, 2020 2:00 AM

Mar 2014
English is not my main language. I tried to watch my first anime in English dub but I quickly change to Japanese sub because it sounded better to me. Plus, I immediately fell in love with Japan so I wanted to learn its language as well.
Dec 6, 2020 2:05 AM

Apr 2019
No I do not, it doesn't make sense to me. First, if I have to watch in a foreign language anyway, why not in Japanese which is the original. Second, English dubs are notoriously bad compared to most other languages. I never understood how people could enjoy bad acting.

Dec 6, 2020 2:09 AM

Oct 2010
I only watched ghost stories and dragon ball z in dub and I don't plan to watch more, I saw pokemon and samurai x in romanian, that was really good. Sub is they way to go

this video here is the proof that eng dubs are to be avoided
CatalanoDec 6, 2020 4:49 AM
Dec 6, 2020 2:10 AM
Apr 2020
My mother tongue is Urdu/Hindi and even if I have been learning and speaking English since my childhood, I still face difficulty in understanding someone when they talk really fast in English.
For example when I watch dub sometimes and they say something really important, I make sure to rewind so I can understand clearly.
So in short, I prefer Sub.
Dec 6, 2020 2:11 AM

May 2018
No. Russian dubs are as abominable as English. And I don't even know which are worse.

Dec 6, 2020 2:13 AM

Jun 2012
I speak 3 languages and still choose Japanese.
Dec 6, 2020 2:19 AM
Sep 2019
Scordolo said:
My mother tongue is Urdu but I watch English dub because English is my first language in India lol.They showed Detective conan,Pokemon,Doraemon,Shin-chan and other kids shows in Hindi dub in Indian Television.I never watched Detective conan in hindi dub but my sister did.

Wait you mean your mother tongue is hindi right cuz urdu is in Pakistan (I'm from Pakistan)
Dec 6, 2020 2:27 AM

May 2020
NO.

Hollywood movies and other foreign movies are always shown with subs on television in my country. Only cartoons are dubbed, but not all the time. I got used to reading subtitles pretty quickly, in 2nd grade.

I got used to subbtiles on that level where I could just listen to english audio, but instead I focus on subtitles. So, yeah, subs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dubs for me.

As @inim pointed out it doesn't really make any sense to listen to a dub in another foreign language and I'm not used to english voice actors, like I'm to japanese ones.

I would like to try to watch them in my mother tangue, but there are barely any, the ones that are don't interest me much.

The only english dub I might try is Ghost Stories.
Dec 6, 2020 2:32 AM

Apr 2011
Nope. I'm French. English dubs just sound weird to me. I watched French dubs as a kid, then subs became available on VHS in the late 90s.
Dec 6, 2020 2:38 AM

Jul 2020
Niansuh said:
Scordolo said:

Wait you mean your mother tongue is hindi right cuz urdu is in Pakistan (I'm from Pakistan)

I'm a Muslim so my mother tongue is Urdu.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 6, 2020 2:41 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
I did when I first found the medium but that was a big mistake, as soon as I got used to Japanese acting I started to refuse to watch dub. I don't watch Swedish dubs either, they are not on par with the Japanese version and are only made for kid shows that Swedish TV wanted to air.
Dec 6, 2020 2:43 AM

Mar 2016
Hell no I read english subs or korean subs.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Dec 6, 2020 2:45 AM

Dec 2018
I'm not sure if I have seen anything with english dubs. I wanted to watch Cowboy Bebop with dubs, but somehow forgot. On the other hand, the last thing I watched at in Russian was Toradora. And I did not understand anything, so then I rewatched it with the subs
Dec 6, 2020 2:59 AM

Sep 2008
no, I don't. dubs suck shit.
I was watching 00 back a year or two. there was a high ranking officer who was sick of the whole war thing. in japanese, he sounded like a patient man honed by age, tired of the same bullshit.
the english dub was basically a budget solid snake trying to talk while taking a shit.
in general whenever I hear japanese talk in anime, they sound fitting and honest. they talk and carry themselves the way you expect them to.
when I hear dub actresses speak, they always try to sound as smug and over the top as possible. it robs the characters of their personalities, they don't even try to act like the original. it just reeks of the VA looking down on the audience, making light of their jobs.
then there's the rewrites, mistranslations, having to fit the speech to the mouth movement, and inserting political bullshit that has nothing to do with the anime.
I won't discuss these right now.
tl:tr: japanese seiyuu: sounds nice, places the character before herself. she's acting.
english VA: smug stacy voicing her disgust because she's stuck with weebs, no real acting involved.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Dec 6, 2020 3:04 AM

Oct 2008
Yeah I am bulgarian and yes I occasionally
watch english dub. I think about 10% to 15% of anime are better with eng dub.

Finnaly no, I haven't watched anime dubbed
in my native language since the 1990s.
Dec 6, 2020 3:20 AM

Sep 2014
English is my second language and I always thought it sounded ridiculous. Of course I cringe whenever I accidentally start a dubbed anime.
Dec 6, 2020 3:23 AM

Apr 2013
No I don't. but then again for me English and Japanese are both foreign language I speak so I have no reason to watch it in something else than Japanese.
Dec 6, 2020 3:31 AM
Jul 2018
Only as a last resort, I don't like dubs. I go like this: Italian subs -> Italian dubs -> English subs -> English dubs.
Dec 6, 2020 3:34 AM

Jul 2015
I watch anime subbed in english like every normal human being.
If I buy a DvD here I try to get french and english subs, to have a bit of choice in case the subs suck.
Dec 6, 2020 3:35 AM

Jun 2020
nyugvo6 said:
no, I don't. dubs suck shit.
I was watching 00 back a year or two. there was a high ranking officer who was sick of the whole war thing. in japanese, he sounded like a patient man honed by age, tired of the same bullshit.
the english dub was basically a budget solid snake trying to talk while taking a shit.
in general whenever I hear japanese talk in anime, they sound fitting and honest. they talk and carry themselves the way you expect them to.
when I hear dub actresses speak, they always try to sound as smug and over the top as possible. it robs the characters of their personalities, they don't even try to act like the original. it just reeks of the VA looking down on the audience, making light of their jobs.
then there's the rewrites, mistranslations, having to fit the speech to the mouth movement, and inserting political bullshit that has nothing to do with the anime.
I won't discuss these right now.
tl:tr: japanese seiyuu: sounds nice, places the character before herself. she's acting.
english VA: smug stacy voicing her disgust because she's stuck with weebs, no real acting involved.

Ah yes this exactly .. and whenever someone says subs are better there's a war in the comments .
Dec 6, 2020 3:40 AM

Jun 2015
No, unless it is the only available option, or Ghost Stories.
Dec 6, 2020 3:48 AM

Jun 2016
There are some old OVAs I can't find in japanese so I watch them in english. Also some anime like garzey's wing and bible black that have top tier english versions.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 6, 2020 3:52 AM

Sep 2020
My mother tongue is Tamil as I'm from India, but my first language is English and I don't mind watching it in dub or sub.
Dec 6, 2020 4:06 AM

Aug 2018
I like dubs cause it's easy to multitask when you don't have to constantly look at the same part of the screen, plus many dubs are amazing. When I started watching anime I've been only watching english dubs for about a year - so I think about 40% of all shows I watched were in dub. Turned to subs (english-only) later but I don't mind watching a good dub now too.
As for native languages (ukrainian&russian) I never watch anime in those cause dubs in those suck hard
FallenCrusaderDec 6, 2020 4:09 AM
Dec 6, 2020 4:24 AM
Sep 2016
Cantonese speaker

I always watching things in their original language first and then in Cantonese at some point. I do check it out in English when accessibility is an though i.e cinema screenings when I cannot make the Japanese screening.
Dec 6, 2020 4:37 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
No, I always avoid dubbed anime like a plague whether it's English or my country's language.

Eng Sub JP Dub, that's how mafia I work.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 6, 2020 4:40 AM

Jan 2013
Normally no but there are some exceptions, anime that have a good reputation for it's dub or if an English dub just fits the world better.
These are the ones I did watch with an English dub:

- Afro Samurai / Movie / Resurrection
- Black Lagoon / Second Barrage / Roberta's Blood Trail
- Cowboy Bebop
- Death Note
- Dragonball / Z / GT
- Ergo Proxy
- Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
- Spirited Away
- Steamboy
- Trigun / Badlands Rumble
- Wolf's Rain
- Yu☆Gi☆Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 9 hours ago

34 by APolygons2 »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

36 by Siranto1 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

92 by Skuletor »»
35 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

59 by SpeedyAlchemist »»
45 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by TheSFHero »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.