Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you watch anime with sound off?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 3, 2020 4:05 AM

Mar 2019
What's the point of this thread? I don't understand why you started this.

Are you just afraid someone will know you watch anime?

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Dec 3, 2020 4:10 AM
Jun 2020
Why do you even watch anime in the first place? 0_0
Dec 3, 2020 4:19 AM

Jan 2020
No, I don't. Sound plays a massive role in my enjoyment of a visual medium, not just anime.

Thunderbird227 said:
why in the world would anyone want to willfully torture themselves

A masochist would definitely want to.
Dec 3, 2020 4:33 AM

Sep 2016
I used to do that when I was younger, but now I realised that without the audio, it just takes away half the experience.
Dec 3, 2020 8:19 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
I muted Eizouken a few times due to the god awful music (noise?) driving me insane but otherwise no.
Dec 3, 2020 9:12 AM
Sep 2020
Yes... I do watch hentai without the sound.
Anyone else?
H.Mohidinkhan
Dec 3, 2020 9:33 AM

Jan 2015
What? I can’t do this today Jeremy
Dec 3, 2020 9:34 AM

Sep 2017
i don't understand why you would do this? your missing out on a lot of stuff especially the soundtrack
[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]

Dec 3, 2020 10:41 AM

May 2020
bruh if you finna watch anime without the voice acting, sound effect, or music, just read fuckin manga LOL

kljakjkjasndnkjnsadk

Dec 3, 2020 10:48 AM

Mar 2020
If you watch anime with no sound you must be deaf (feel bad if that was the case). Other than those people no person should be watching anime with no sound.

Can't believe people said yes to watching without sound...
Dec 3, 2020 3:19 PM
Great Love

Mar 2019
There are so many things going through my mind that I want to say but my poor English keeps me from doing so so I'll leave it at

yes, you are the only one, anyone who says otherwise is lying

Dec 3, 2020 3:42 PM

Jun 2017
Bruh I hate to say this but, this is totally stupid. You even made a thread about it.. Why would I watch anime without sound when I can just read manga?
Dec 3, 2020 3:48 PM

Nov 2019
yes sometimes i also watch with the screen off.
Dec 3, 2020 3:50 PM

Sep 2020
I do it all the time. Switching off an entire facet of a multimedia presentation makes me feel like I actually have free will - It's the only way I am ever able to feel the vaguest bit of control over my environment.
Dec 3, 2020 3:50 PM

Nov 2020
stupidest fucking question I've ever read. you don't deserve to watch anime. Just read the manga (if it has one) or the LN (if it has one).
Dec 3, 2020 4:30 PM

Dec 2007
i think the whole point of anime is the sound, wouldn't it?
sodobean said:
yes sometimes i also watch with the screen off.
lol
Dec 3, 2020 5:05 PM
Aug 2011
Srijan_Sukumar said:
Why would you do that? VA in anime is
Xx_001_xX said:
I don't like hearing the voices, plus I don't want my family to hear what I'm watching.

Why would you do that? VA in anime is so good and improve your experience so much...
Use earphone if you don't want your family to hear that

I think it's something this person will grow out of.

They say they don't like hearing the voices, so they don't have audio now in any anime. But of course, it's like anything else, it's something you acclimatize to, and this person is avoiding from having to try and do that. But it's also reinforced by the "not wanting parents to hear" issue, which is obviously a specific issue at this time.

The way I look at it, you're reading the subtitles for the literal meaning, but you're listening to the voice and music for the acting / emotional context. This is where the Japanese originals often clearly eclipse the people they've hired for the re-dub. You can't just read the lines straight because you do lose a lot of context about the characters, how they feel, etc. (It's not really the dub actor's fault: there's what the original character *said* and what the *mean*, which can be separate. That then gets put through the wringer of translation and they're told to say the literal thing, so they deliver it literally).

It could take a while for this to click to get the most out of it, but I'm someone who also always watches the credit songs though. I'd rather enjoy fully what I'm watching instead of trying to speed-run through things to tick them off. The credit songs, the voice acting, etc is all part of truly experiencing the show. I might as well read CliffsNotes on the show and go "ah that's how the story goes" if I was going to chop around as much as some people do. Imagine turning off the audio and playing something else over it, and double-speeding the video because the show is "boring". Why are you there then? It barely even qualifies as a "show I watched" then.

I have this ONE 12 episode show I sped up the last 3-4 episodes because it felt boring, several years ago, and I feel the need to actually rewatch it because I didn't taken anything in and it now feels like an empty experience.
cipheronDec 3, 2020 5:12 PM
Dec 3, 2020 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
Kyothena said:
I don't see why would you do that.. I find it way much better to read the source material (manga/ln) rather than do that.

I agree, why not just read the manga? But sometimes I do this when I'm out in public or when I was watching them in hs so others wouldn't notice.
Dec 3, 2020 9:29 PM

Oct 2014
I'm concerned at the 35 people in the poll who said they do. Why even bother watching at that point?
Dec 3, 2020 9:34 PM

Apr 2014
Same here

I also like to close my eyes
themanualreader@proton.me
Dec 3, 2020 10:34 PM

May 2020
i could never watch anime with no sound i need to hear the beautiful japanese voices
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

31 by Zimmu »»
13 seconds ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 7 hours ago

35 by delirific »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

16 by Horizon06 »»
5 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

15 by W3TFT »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

89 by LostSpectre »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.