Forum Settings
Forums

Does fantastic animation equals a masterpiece anime?

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Post New Reply
Dec 1, 2020 11:12 AM

SaberHotMikasa said:
Tamakiiiiiiii said:

bruh you couldn't be more wrong. Stop kidding yourself, legit the only reason people liked Yaiba was because it had decent animations... the story and characters are absolute garbage on an even lower tier than Fairy Tail and Black Clover.
Buddy, take a hin

lol what? take a hint? a hint of what? bro don't waste my time if you don't have anything of value to say. For real.

Dec 1, 2020 11:21 AM
Joseph JoJo
Tamakiiiiiiii said:
SaberHotMikasa said:
Buddy, take a hin

lol what? take a hint? a hint of what? bro don't waste my time if you don't have anything of value to say. For real.

Honestly I really didn’t mean to send that, just notice it but dude, how about not take anime too seriously because you really think Demon Slayer is a lower tier compared FAIRY TAIL, & Black Clover isn’t that bad so. Why hate a anime this much when’s it’s really not that bad. It’s probably not your taste tbh, not because it’s bad.

Dec 1, 2020 11:30 AM

Shounen Jump anime almost always do well.

Action male demographic anime always do well.

They have to be doing something wrong for them to not be instantly popular with how big Shounen Jump is.

I don't think it would matter how mindblowing the animation was if it was for a shoujo/josei romance in the end. Like. better off just trying to have good and consistent art and good story. (animation=/= art) Try to upsell to the choosier fans with niche taste. And because that often older audience is less hype about everything, they also rate lower on average than the hyped up Jump fan. The audience who ends up loving your show never rating things 10/10 will never have a top MAL anime.

** most members here are boys. So, there is a reason why anime for boys does better.

Animation doesn't make a masterpiece... but it can for many.
Modified by Energetic-Nova, Dec 1, 2020 11:34 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.

Dec 1, 2020 11:32 AM

Masterpiece animation, maybe. That's Akira's whole deal--unbelievable, phenomenal animation, but a lackluster and squashed narrative.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"The term 'shounen' has evolved. It's not just a source of origin.
Speaking of shounen, 'shounen' does not inherently mean 'bad'.
Tropes are not bad. Relying on tropes without changing them is.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching both seasons of Mob Psycho 100."

Dec 1, 2020 11:44 AM

Zelkiiro said:
Masterpiece animation, maybe. That's Akira's whole deal--unbelievable, phenomenal animation, but a lackluster and squashed narrative.

I would say Akira feels more than that to me... especially after seeing Steamboy.... same director...

There is something special about Akira. A lot of it is the sound. The way the action unfolds. The way things are shown. The voice acting... there is a lot to it that sells it to me as a masterpiece. And action is a very low rated genre for me.

Steamboy just wasn't good... even tho it had a lot of talent and it was very pretty... and what killed it? The voice acting... the almost should have died moments the protag went through too. but... without good acting you can't sell those cliche annoyances to me.
The anime community in a nutshell.

Dec 1, 2020 11:47 AM

just one of the requirements to become masterpiece anime. but won't expecting very good but at least not down to bad or worse.

Dec 1, 2020 2:53 PM

Stunning animation can make a boring show more appealing to watch, but that doesn't make it a good story to me. It just shows that it got a lucky and was given a good studio.

In my personal (probably trash) opinion, demon slayer was stunning. The animation was amazing (wish the characters didn't look so vertically squished but w/e) and while the story has it's rough edges, it's a fun watch. I DO NOT think it's a masterpiece though, I gave it like a 7 or an 8. It was solid, but not a masterpiece.

Just cause a cake looks good, doesn't mean it'll be the best cake you've ever eaten.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
-Kino's Journey

Dec 1, 2020 3:03 PM
Hell no, but the animation is an important factor when rating a show.

Dec 1, 2020 3:10 PM

Fantastic animation can only affect so much of a show. Without at least a half-decent execution on the character development, thematic exploration, plot development, etc., no amount of animation, special effects, nor even CGI could fix the show. Take that Psychic School Wars movie for an instant. The show has some legitimately well-made animation, but it's still a bad film.

Dec 1, 2020 3:31 PM

Not really but it does take part in the quality of a show. It depends on the standard quality for the decade the anime was in, budget, whatever there is to it. But no shitty plot can get fixed with top tier animation still...

Dec 1, 2020 3:58 PM
for me, animation can be iffy. on the one hand, it can help some series like Nichijou with their over the top scenes and with sports anime to make them flow well in matches. but then you have a series like Mushishi that doesn't need over the top animation because it's there to send a message with each episode through its scenery and dialogue. animation helps, but it's by no means the biggest requirement for a masterpiece (a good example of high-quality animation for a subpar story would be The God Of Highschool)

Dec 1, 2020 4:15 PM

Honestly that only applies to hentai
Maybe its because I grew up in an era of hand drawn animation but I feel wholeheartedly that the animation quality has little to no impact on my ratings.
The exception for me being Akira, where I purposely factored animation into the equation.

Good story and character development is what gets me off ;)
(Also have a soft spot for Music anime)
Modified by AnimeAnima, Dec 1, 2020 4:18 PM

Dec 1, 2020 5:41 PM
Hrybami said:
It's the combination of good story and good character with good animation. Demon Slayer wouldn't be as popular if it had a bad story and bad characters. There is a lot of example in the database of low rated anime with fantastic animation.
not true it has both but whatever man
FUCK HER RIGHT IN THE PUSSY!!!

Dec 1, 2020 5:49 PM

HamAndBacon said:
Hrybami said:
It's the combination of good story and good character with good animation. Demon Slayer wouldn't be as popular if it had a bad story and bad characters. There is a lot of example in the database of low rated anime with fantastic animation.

Excuse me what? What thing does it has both? And both what??

Dec 1, 2020 5:50 PM
Hrybami said:
HamAndBacon said:

Excuse me what? What thing does it has both? And both what??
it has bad story and bad characters NIBBA
FUCK HER RIGHT IN THE PUSSY!!!

Dec 1, 2020 5:55 PM
I won't be able to give any names, but a fantastic animation doesn't necessarily suffice for a masterpiece anime, unless it is backed by powerful story, good character development and even decent enough background score..

Dec 1, 2020 5:56 PM

Animation plays a decent amount in my scoring, but superb animation does not equal masterpiece, it can leverage an anime into becoming a masterpiece, for me a Masterpiece has to have good Animation/Art, Character Development, and last but not least, Consistency.

Dec 1, 2020 6:13 PM

raiderublaze said:
As of now, I haven't watched Demon Slayer and the current wildfire which is the Mugen Train movie. But of course I know the buzz and the impact of the series. And I see some clips and pictures from time to time. Yet some weebs (aka trolls) in the anime community dislikes shows just like KnY because of its fantastic, over-the-top sakuga.

Animation of course is one of the key core foundations of an anime. And if done right, it will amass many anime fans, discuss it, buy whatever cool merch and call it a 10/10 anime or so. But do you disagree with this concept? Or do you defend it?

Does great sakuga translate to an anime being a masterpiece?
Hrybami said:
Darkraii said:

Yes it would still be popular. The series only became very popular at episode 19 with all the flashy fights and cool animation. I've never heard anyone praising the story. It's all just pretty colors and fights that I've heard people praising. As for the characters, never heard praise from them either. They're all lame and one dimensional.

First off Demon Slayer was already popular long before that 19th episode aired. It became massively popular afterwards, but for anime standard it already was mainstream, so clearly there is more to it than just a single flashy fight from a 19th episode. Beside that, did you really think people care enough about well written characters in a shounen anime in order to ditch the show if the characters didn't meat the refined standard of the masses? Take a look at the most popular anime, you can see that the average main characters aren't particularly well written. Demon Slayer is no exception. People clearly enjoy charisma and style over substance, which KnY's characters have plenty of.

I'd have to agree that it did have a movment going on well before the anime (many of my friends on discord chats talked about it a lot i felt out of it) but at the same time animation was what brought even more readers to the manga once the anime concluded but i still think it was an enjoyable story that checkmarked most of the shonen box requirements art was good character designs of demons were rad as well

Dec 1, 2020 6:16 PM

raiderublaze said:
As of now, I haven't watched Demon Slayer and the current wildfire which is the Mugen Train movie. But of course I know the buzz and the impact of the series. And I see some clips and pictures from time to time. Yet some weebs (aka trolls) in the anime community dislikes shows just like KnY because of its fantastic, over-the-top sakuga.

Animation of course is one of the key core foundations of an anime. And if done right, it will amass many anime fans, discuss it, buy whatever cool merch and call it a 10/10 anime or so. But do you disagree with this concept? Or do you defend it?

Does great sakuga translate to an anime being a masterpiece?

"Does great sakuga translate to an anime being a masterpiece?"

no not really im tired of sakuga and really would like to see something experimental again like mob psycho with the art style or kill la kill with its inventive animation not just highly detailed key animation fights

Dec 1, 2020 6:28 PM

Totally nope, Redline has nice animation but it was kinda boring so animation isnt everything.

Dec 1, 2020 9:08 PM
While good animation is definitely a plus I don't think a show can get by on good animation alone. a show's story is more important than animation in my opinion. if the show has an awful storyline and I hate a good amount of the characters it doesn't matter how pretty the animation is, I'm going to drop it.

Modified by NinjaMeow, Dec 1, 2020 9:12 PM

Dec 1, 2020 9:13 PM
definitely a no animation is probably the least important factor in my enjoyment of an anime

Dec 4, 2020 8:14 PM
Absolutely not. Fireworks had great animation, it looked so cool in the music video that was released before the movie came out, but the movie itself turned out to be kinda terrible. It made no sense whatsoever, I was confused practically the whole time, and they just threw a random musical number right in the middle of it (decent song ngl), confusing me even more.

Dec 4, 2020 8:17 PM

nope. perfect example: god of highschool (no words, just hands)

Dec 5, 2020 12:24 AM

it's more complex than that for me.
if I have to choose between a gorgeous movie with bad plot, or a good plot with horrid execution, I'm choosing the 1st.
at the same time I consider makoto shinkai and ghibli movies extremely boring.
there's a line, where the negatives outweight the positives.

Dec 5, 2020 12:37 AM
Good animation helps with immersion, especially during battle scenes. It’s always a huge plus. Its why One Punch Man season 1 was infinitely more entertaining than season 2. One Punch Man has a decent plot but what made it so magical in season 1 was the beautifully animated fight scenes.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]