Forum Settings
Forums

Does fantastic animation equals a masterpiece anime?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Post New Reply
Nov 28, 2020 9:10 PM

As of now, I haven't watched Demon Slayer and the current wildfire which is the Mugen Train movie. But of course I know the buzz and the impact of the series. And I see some clips and pictures from time to time. Yet some weebs (aka trolls) in the anime community dislikes shows just like KnY because of its fantastic, over-the-top sakuga.

Animation of course is one of the key core foundations of an anime. And if done right, it will amass many anime fans, discuss it, buy whatever cool merch and call it a 10/10 anime or so. But do you disagree with this concept? Or do you defend it?

Does great sakuga translate to an anime being a masterpiece?
"Keep grinding on what you love but always take a breather once in a while"

Nov 28, 2020 9:18 PM

Animation has big impact on my rating too (one of example is Violet Evergarden where I didn't like that much plot but animation was great so 6-7/10) its one of factors that differentiate anime from manga/LN, but definitely I won't give 10/10 only because of animation. Plot is also important and the most important is my enjoyment. To KnY I haven't seen movie but if plot will be the same as 1st season then it will be again about 6-7/10 not more. But I don't think KnY is one of the animes that got great animation, it's just average one, just my opinion.

Nov 28, 2020 9:21 PM

If you bothered to look at MAL's top list then your answer would be there.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullmetal_Alchemist__Brotherhood
FMA:B is the #1 anime on MAL and it is far from perfect animation wise.

And then take this: https://myanimelist.net/anime/16782/Kotonoha_no_Niwa
Kotonoha no Niwa contains one of the best animations ever. While at a respectable score, it is by no means a masterpiece.

Animation obviously plays a role in how anime is critiqued but it is not the deciding factor.

Nov 28, 2020 9:21 PM

According to Hazard University, 96% of the whole population only cares about beautiful and fluid animation.

Character development, plot progression, script, directing, OST and some other stuff aren't important.

Thus yes, fantastic animation = masterpiece, that is what 96% of the population thinks.
A future is not given to you. It is something you must take for yourself.

Nov 28, 2020 9:27 PM

Well, I think if the animation is good, it can make the anime have a good rating, but it's not just the animation, I think the storyline is also included. Maybe Sakuga is also included, for me every time there is a Sakuga scene, it gives me goosebumps

Nov 28, 2020 9:37 PM

It's the combination of good story and good character with good animation. Demon Slayer wouldn't be as popular if it had a bad story and bad characters. There is a lot of example in the database of low rated anime with fantastic animation.

Nov 28, 2020 9:47 PM

Hrybami said:
It's the combination of good story and good character with good animation. Demon Slayer wouldn't be as popular if it had a bad story and bad characters. There is a lot of example in the database of low rated anime with fantastic animation.

bruh you couldn't be more wrong. Stop kidding yourself, legit the only reason people liked Yaiba was because it had decent animations... the story and characters are absolute garbage on an even lower tier than Fairy Tail and Black Clover.

Nov 28, 2020 9:58 PM

Although I do believe a visual medium should have visuals play an important role, I also believe that substance is just as important as style. So no animation can't be the only thing to judge an anime off of.
"You can do some stuff I could never do. You don't look back and have an unwavering determination. It's what makes you you"
"Just you watch! I'm gonna become an amazing witch one day and make the whole world gasp in surprise!"
"Maybe I should test it first on my guinea pig, but if this works.. Akko will end up becoming a successful and talented witch.. which would make everything boring"

Nov 28, 2020 10:04 PM

Gintama is one of the most famous animes, top rated in MAL and a lot of people consider the show a masterpiece, but if you watch it Kagura and Gintoki breaks the fourth wall everytime to say they don't have money to make a "serious arc" more longer than 7 episodes. So no, fantastic animation attracts a lot of people (like Demon Slayer case) but it doesn't carry alone without good story and characters.
“I’m someone who sincerely wishes for equality for all genders. I hate people who push for chivalry when the situation benefits them, and complain about not being men when they’re at a disadvantage."
-Kazuma Satou

Nov 28, 2020 10:24 PM

What's with all these topics about masterpiece trending?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 28, 2020 10:26 PM

There is more to an anime than a show that looks good. Honestly, a masterpiece is one that can be average in some factors like animation and storytelling then excel in one specific part. In that case, something like Kimi no NA Wa can be considered as a masterpiece.

"lol puppy"

Nov 28, 2020 10:28 PM

No, I'd rather have booty animation and a good story than vise versa.

Nov 28, 2020 10:29 PM

Nope it isnt.I've rated demon slayer a 7 just because of it's animation otherwise it would have gone down to 4 or 5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 29, 2020 12:02 AM

Fuck no, but it's a step in the right direction. Anime is 50% visuals, 50% storytelling, and commonly enough, for a masterpiece to be a masterpiece to begin with it has to be amazing at both of those things.

Nov 29, 2020 12:11 AM

If it's story is shit then no amount of sakuga can save it. It's about balance.

Nov 29, 2020 12:35 AM

As long as it's not overly done (For me it would be KNY and Fate Series). For example likes Violet Evergarden. I like Violet Evergarden especially in the animation section. It felt like I was seeing something artificial and exaggerated.

Nov 29, 2020 12:47 AM

I see it sort of like this. Good animation is a general requirement given the type of media being used in order to express the story being told. It is not the only factor of course but good animation is important, bad animation will not stop me from watching but it will make it more difficult to rate as well as an anime that has better animation as well as a good story. I generally dont look down on older anime for the animation style etc since they are much older but some are hard to get through because even for their time the animation wasnt great.

Nov 29, 2020 1:10 AM

in my case, naah, i do think production value does have a considerable amount of importance when rating shows to me alone, but ultimately, in the end of the day, the story is what makes me decide to consider particular shows as masterpiece or potential masterpiece.

because it's not fair for classic animes right? most classics have subpar animation, only few ones that stands out but who knows that those classics have amazing story (which i will try to watch lots of them in the future). So story is what makes a masterpiece (at least to me) but i will point out if particular shows have amazing production value (animation etc.)

Nov 29, 2020 1:26 AM
Although the animation plays a huge part in my ranking in identifying top tier anime, there is a lot more that I look into; some of which are the storyline, characters and their development, music, etc. To answer your question, just because an anime has really good animation doesn't make it a good anime.

Nov 29, 2020 1:28 AM

No I do not agree with your statement. According to me a good script is like the soul of the show while good visuals are like the body .One cannot exist without the other and both needed in equal measure to create a good show.
A show with great visuals and presentation but without a good script is the equivalent of a dead body just a empty lifeless husk without a soul or a purpose. On the other hand a show with good script but without great visuals and presentation is just like a shapeless, formless entity trying to reach out to you and failing due to not having the proper means to do so. Neither of the two can act as a supplement for the lack of other and a true masterpiece has the perfect combination of brilliant visual presentation and an amazing script to get along with the presentation.

Nov 29, 2020 1:30 AM
Animation, characters, story and enjoyment is what makes a masterpiece for me. Animation on it's own is not enough

Nov 29, 2020 1:46 AM

Thinking that good animation = good anime is like thinking that the quality of a plate determines the taste of the food on it.

Nov 29, 2020 1:49 AM
No i dont care if it has the best animation if its story is shit the anime is shit for me

Nov 29, 2020 2:08 AM

Nah, what many users here think as "masterpieces"/give 10s to are easy to understand anime with generic story besides of good animation.
Modified by Jim_Heart, Nov 29, 2020 2:12 AM

Nov 29, 2020 2:32 AM
I don't really care about too much about animation.
I want a good plot, characters and overall enjoyment
Modified by Sakuta002766, Nov 29, 2020 2:37 AM

Nov 29, 2020 2:42 AM
Salvio Hexia

Ofc good animation is important, makes it more enjoyable to look at, and i still value it a lot. However next to things like plot, characters design and character development... It becomes pretty insignificant to me. I will always put a good story first. I much rather watch an ugly, outdated show with an amazing, captivating plot than a stunning visual masterpiece thats boring af.

“Be careful what you wish for.
I know that for a fact.
Wishes are brutal, unforgiving things.
They burn your tongue the
moment they're spoken
and you can never take them back.”

Nov 29, 2020 3:27 AM

For those watching anime for the sakuga, it most likely is.

For those watching it for the story, definitely not.

Kimetsu no Yaiba was boring.

Nov 29, 2020 3:47 AM

i would have given kny a 5 but i gave it a 6 just because of ufotable's over the top animation.ig that answers your question.

Nov 29, 2020 3:49 AM

No, definitely not. That's what I think, at least. If the story is poorly written or the characters are as dull as dishwater, then the show certainly isn't a masterpiece even with its fantastic animation. I'm looking at you, The God of High School.

Nov 29, 2020 3:53 AM

not really, nah, there are anime out there where the characters are just walking and talking, in the case of a show like that, the animation is pretty much redundant compared to everything else

Nov 29, 2020 4:03 AM

No, but it does generally make me like it more. Yozakura Quartet 2010 and 2013 both have some incredible animation and setpieces but the story is still kinda barebones and I know I wouldn't like the show if not for the spectacular animation quality, case-and-point Yozakura Quartet 2008.

Nov 29, 2020 4:33 AM

Tamakiiiiiiii said:
Hrybami said:

bruh you couldn't be more wrong. Stop kidding yourself, legit the only reason people liked Yaiba was because it had decent animations... the story and characters are absolute garbage on an even lower tier than Fairy Tail and Black Clover.

You have no idea what you're talking about. If you think people are going to like an anime just because it had decent animation, then how can you explain the low rated anime with good animation? Like Glasslip obviously. If people only care about animation, then Glasslip would be rated 8+. If the story in KnY is that shit, then how could people possibly watch 19 episodes just to reach a good animated fight? Because don't tell me KnY consistently have good animation. No quite the opposite in fact, KnY's animation is inconsistent as fuck with lots of chibi scenes and ugly CGI, but whatever. Also if the characters are all shit, then how could you explain all the excitement over the cosplays in conventions and literally the thousands of fanarts of these characters trending on social media. Surely there is more to like about KnY than just the animation.

Nov 29, 2020 4:35 AM

good animation will pick up your interest in the anime, good plot will make you stay
I don't really care for the animation, but ill give credit where its due
that to be said, no, good animation doesn't equal a masterpiece

Nov 29, 2020 4:37 AM

Nope, and a perfect example of this is Demon Slayer and The God of High School.

Nov 29, 2020 4:42 AM

no. im sorry but if the story isnt good the entire thing is shit. like yea woo pretty art! but too bad theres nothing thats going to keep me interested. with bland ass characters and the most generic storyline. hint hint kny

Nov 29, 2020 4:45 AM
Not at all, in fact most anime with good animation (fate, bnha, demon slayer) are all garbage 0/10 shows

Nov 29, 2020 4:46 AM

No. Just no. There are many super beautiful works from Ghibli, Shinkai Makoto or Kyoto Animation, but many (most?) of them have lame stories and weak characters.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Nov 29, 2020 4:48 AM

Watch God of High School and you'll have your answer.

Nov 29, 2020 4:49 AM
Tail On!

Hrybami said:
um... what? Kimetsu no Yaiba has horrendous story and characters, it makes Fairy Tail look like peak literature.

Nov 29, 2020 5:45 AM

Roevhaal said:
Hrybami said:
um... what? Kimetsu no Yaiba has horrendous story and characters, it makes Fairy Tail look like peak literature.

Your opinion is really important to me, but I've dropped Fairy Tail after 20 episodes so I could not know.

Nov 29, 2020 5:47 AM
of course not plenty of anime have amazing animation and they're still crap

Nov 29, 2020 5:49 AM
VsauceDealer said:
Not at all, in fact most anime with good animation (fate, bnha, demon slayer) are all garbage 0/10 shows
Pretty much this. No amount of surface level spectacle can make up for an absolutely terrible script. A good or masterpiece anime's animation helps enhance the quality of its substantial areas such as the plot and characters, rather than try to fool the audience by masking its lack of coherency with them.
Modified by ChouEritto, Nov 29, 2020 8:24 AM

Nov 29, 2020 6:10 AM

In the case of something like Perfect Blue, mind-blowing visuals do tie all the elements together to make it a masterpiece. In the hands of a different director I don't know if the movie would be nearly as good.

If you only mean fantastic animation and not the whole visual display (colour palette, lighting, direction, etc) then I don't think that's enough to make an amazing anime. Just look at some of Ghibli's lowest rated movies, all of which have outstanding animation.

Nov 29, 2020 6:16 AM
Not necessarily. The most important thing for me is good characters, then good story. Unless the animation is incredible or awful, it doesn't really affect my opinion of the show.

Nov 29, 2020 6:19 AM
Having great animation makes anime better, but that doesn't necessarily makes it good. Should be obvious, actually.

Nov 29, 2020 6:20 AM

Hrybami said:

Yes it would still be popular. The series only became very popular at episode 19 with all the flashy fights and cool animation. I've never heard anyone praising the story. It's all just pretty colors and fights that I've heard people praising. As for the characters, never heard praise from them either. They're all lame and one dimensional.

Nov 29, 2020 6:26 AM

Not really, but it's nice to have good visuals and animations.

Nov 29, 2020 6:36 AM

Darkraii said:
Hrybami said:

Yes it would still be popular. The series only became very popular at episode 19 with all the flashy fights and cool animation. I've never heard anyone praising the story. It's all just pretty colors and fights that I've heard people praising. As for the characters, never heard praise from them either. They're all lame and one dimensional.

First off Demon Slayer was already popular long before that 19th episode aired. It became massively popular afterwards, but for anime standard it already was mainstream, so clearly there is more to it than just a single flashy fight from a 19th episode. Beside that, did you really think people care enough about well written characters in a shounen anime in order to ditch the show if the characters didn't meat the refined standard of the masses? Take a look at the most popular anime, you can see that the average main characters aren't particularly well written. Demon Slayer is no exception. People clearly enjoy charisma and style over substance, which KnY's characters have plenty of.

Nov 29, 2020 7:04 AM

Hrybami said:
Tamakiiiiiiii said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. If you think people are going to like an anime just because it had decent animation, then how can you explain the low rated anime with good animation? Like Glasslip obviously. If people only care about animation, then Glasslip would be rated 8+. If the story in KnY is that shit, then how could people possibly watch 19 episodes just to reach a good animated fight? Because don't tell me KnY consistently have good animation. No quite the opposite in fact, KnY's animation is inconsistent as fuck with lots of chibi scenes and ugly CGI, but whatever. Also if the characters are all shit, then how could you explain all the excitement over the cosplays in conventions and literally the thousands of fanarts of these characters trending on social media. Surely there is more to like about KnY than just the animation.

Lol what are you talking about? Episode 19 wasn't even a significant improvement over the rest of the show at all in terms of animation. The fact of the matter is that fight was only slightly more well animated than the rest of the show...

But nah, you might be right, there may be reasons other than the animation that made it popular. I mean, look at Fairy Tail, that anime became immensely popular and looked like it was animated by a bunch of amateurs... both anime are about equal in terms of story and characters so maybe I'll just chalk it up to the low standards of the anime community. Good talk.

Nov 29, 2020 7:22 AM

Not to me, it can either make a shitty anime at least pretty to look at or a great anime even better by looking great as well
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »