Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: How much do you prioritize raising defense stats in games?

Nov 28, 2020 6:01 PM

I recently been watching Bofuri, and was thinking how I often ignore defense stats in games. Can you name any game where only focusing on defense only is a good strategy? Do you ignore the defense stat in games?

Nov 28, 2020 6:05 PM
Tail On!

Yea pretty much every tower defense game

Nov 28, 2020 6:38 PM

Not for all character's, but there's a character in Genshin Impact, Noelle, who's extremity strong if you build her with only defense based equipment (she's in fact bad if you give her attack stuff). So I guess that's an example.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas

Nov 28, 2020 11:57 PM

I played a turn-based game before (Dark Bestiary) it had lots of skills, talents and traits stuff so you could build the character anyway you like.

There's Paladin trait that you return the damage depending on your defense.
+ Berserker regen, you get a passive regen skill that grows stronger the lower your HP is.
+ A passive talent that will heal you depending on how much AP (Action Points) you got left at the end of your turn.

Basically, I just skip my turn everytime and let the enemies kill themselves by hitting me. Shit was too funny, but it got boring fast.

Set your heart ablaze
III

Nov 28, 2020 11:58 PM

In a lot of the games I play. I focus on increasing the HP, which I hope will translate to surviving more blows, and more chances to "git gud" when that's needed. That has been my main strategy with Dark Souls & Bloodborne so far.

Nov 29, 2020 12:24 AM

I try to balance the stats out deepening what kind of build I'm going for, but I do want to survive while dishing out tons of damage (DPS).

Nov 29, 2020 4:24 AM

The problem with going full defence in most games is that even if it's a viable strategy, it's at best on par with going offensively but it gets there slower, since the goal in games is to eliminate enemies, not simply to survive. It also tends to be better for lower skilled players, because higher defence means you can get away with more bad gameplay.

Nov 29, 2020 8:22 AM

Me building a tanker in Toram. After the defence stat caps I go for the aspd

Nov 29, 2020 10:49 AM

In Realm of the Mad God, there are 8 different stats which can each be maxed (the numbers each stat maxes at depends on the class) by drinking stat increase potions, which are dropped from certain monsters. It's possible to max every stat if you put a lot of hours into the game, but starting by maxing Defence, and perhaps Speed, can be particularly beneficial. The reason for this is because it's a perma death game, and a bullet hell game with many shotguns, so to avoid getting oneshot in more difficult dungeons and survive longer, maxing defence early is very useful. However, maxing Defense is generally more harder than maxing some other stats, and with unmaxed offensive stats you may lower your chance to get loot from bosses since a certain damage needs to be reached to be eligible for loot when multiple players are present. Anyway, Defence is my favorite stat in this game. Each point of defence removes 1 point of damage from each bullet that hits you (however only up to like maybe 80% of the damage can be blocked), so it really makes a difference when you encounter weaker monsters that spam bullets.

Nov 29, 2020 2:27 PM

I mean, investing in defense and HP and having a full on stall team can be a pretty viable strategy in Pokemon games. Dunno why'd you want to do something as unfun and annoying as a stall team tho. I like having at least something to wall off shit and switch around if I need to so I do invest into defense on a mon, rarely two.

In games in general, totally focusing on just that isn't fun even if it might actually work. Dunno if I've seen one game make that actually fun.

Nov 29, 2020 5:27 PM

why would I need defense when I can just kill things before they kill me?

This post is brought to you by Strength Gang™
This is not your grave...
But you are welcome in it :3

Nov 29, 2020 5:36 PM

Milennin said:
The problem with going full defence in most games is that even if it's a viable strategy, it's at best on par with going offensively but it gets there slower, since the goal in games is to eliminate enemies, not simply to survive. It also tends to be better for lower skilled players, because higher defence means you can get away with more bad gameplay.

This. Defense rewards poor gameplay.
It's often far more viable to have 3 defensively weaker party members with maximum attack, and have one good healer to keep them healthy, rather than having 4 party members with medium attack and medium defense.

If you have a character with a high attack you usually don't want to stack defense on him, even if they are really squishy. You'll want to minmax him and keep staking his attack as high as possible. Healers or potions can do the job of keeping you alive. Also dodging is usually a thing, and not only can you completely negate damage with a well timed dodge, if you get good at timing your i-frames, you'll take far less damage overall than if you were to just stack defense and tank everything.

Of course I'm not talking about any specific games here, but most action games or RPGs follow this mentality. In the end it comes down to the individual game, your skill level, and mostly importantly: what you find the most fun.
This is not your grave...
But you are welcome in it :3

Nov 29, 2020 8:07 PM

Rpgs i play defense never matters like Disgaea at high level you die 1 hit regardless