Forum Settings
Forums

At what age is it time to move on from anime?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 27, 2020 1:03 PM

May 2013
Age? I am not sure for myself If I will be able to move on from anime. I am a woman almost reaching 30s having nieces and nephews with me whom I watch and recommend anime. At this point of my life I cant still get over with anime and I dont think I will be even if I have a new chapter of life coming to me. But you know, its always a subjective insight.

It should not depend on age in which you decide to move on. It truly depends on your decision and if anime is still making you happy. If you had made your decision and that you have truly focused on doing other things that will truly make you happy and that I think people move on from anime, though time can be a variable to it.

But from my experience, even as I am getting older, I am always always finding my time with anime and I feel happy with that decision I made.

Nov 27, 2020 1:10 PM
May 2015
I moved on from anime when finished high school. I started not enjoying anime as I used to, because the animes had the same patterns and was obvious the ending. Also for personal reasons I left animes from my priorities. I used to say I would watch it until I as old, but as you grow you change and have other interests.
I will say animes I've watched in teenage years were special to me, that I was so excited to do.
But now I'm an adult I try to see anime sometimes, but not with that excitement as I used to do.
Nov 27, 2020 1:11 PM

Oct 2017
KaiserWilhelm_II said:
TolkienFan365 said:

There is a woman I follow on YT who is like in her 70's doing reviews of JRPGs. Plenty of old people enjoy Disney films or other works from their childhood.

haha i know a view old gamer channels on yt, but lets be honest they are an extremely small percentage, compared to our generation when we grow old. My grandparents never used a PC/internet for example. My grandma watched Heidi so thats at least one anime :D

Yeah that's more due to what they grew up with though. You see more people in their 40's being tech savy or avid gamers because they grew up with it. Give it another 2-3 decades and every senior citizen will be gaming.
Nov 27, 2020 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
TolkienFan365 said:
KaiserWilhelm_II said:

yeah I totally agree with this, i just find the thought of grandpas talking about their favourite anime and gaming crazy :D

haha i know a view old gamer channels on yt, but lets be honest they are an extremely small percentage, compared to our generation when we grow old. My grandparents never used a PC/internet for example. My grandma watched Heidi so thats at least one anime :D

Yeah that's more due to what they grew up with though. You see more people in their 40's being tech savy or avid gamers because they grew up with it. Give it another 2-3 decades and every senior citizen will be gaming.
OyabinRaph said:
KaiserWilhelm_II said:
I don't know why since this generation is differet, but I can't imagine old folks watching anime and playing games although some might still do it lol.

That's because they didn't grow up with it. I think it will become much more frequent as time goes on.

Also, OP. I know you think you're really mature, but asking that question in the first place is a sign of immaturity IMO. Your age should not influence what you enjoy. If you only enjoy deep and thought provoking anime and don't enjoy shonen/slice of life, it just has to do with your interests, not your maturity or age. Personally, I'm able to enjoy both quite well and I'm one year younger than you. Of course, taste in any medium changes with time, but you can't generalize that change.

I totally agree, i just find the thought of grandpas talking about anime or gaming crazy :D especially when it becomes the "norm"
Nov 27, 2020 2:44 PM
Sep 2017
Dhaarok said:
Whgedia said:
Do you move on from Movies? Do you move on from Videogames? Do you move on from Books? Do you move on from Music? if your answear is no, then why would you move on from Anime, if you answear is yes you´re weird.

I feel like thats not a great comparison. Because books and movies have a greater range of diversity of age group than the anime industry which is geared towards to school kids.
It makes sense. Anime is only created in 1 country, movies and books are created across the world which can accomodate many different tastes and ages.
You say that while having a picture of Yang, how is an anime that talks about politics, philosophy and war for kids?, also not to mention others like Monster which is an adult (non in the sexual sense) anime, also Psycho Pass which again talks about philosophy.

And be honest how many movies that werent made in the USA you watched, I could probably count them with 2 hands. (I mean Live action films not animated ones)

For me anime is just another medium. If Movies are the 7th art, Videogames are the 8th, and anime is the 9th.
Nov 27, 2020 7:16 PM

Aug 2012
This again... Move on when you feel like it. The "I´m too old" discourse is bullshit.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Nov 27, 2020 7:17 PM

May 2018
You move on from anime when you feel you do not enjoy it anymore.
Nov 27, 2020 7:20 PM

Sep 2016
At what age is it time to move on from anime?

That is an answer everyone will have to decide for themselves.
At twice OP's listed age, I'm still into anime with no foreseeable end in sight.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Nov 27, 2020 8:49 PM

Jul 2020
You should stop watching anime when One Piece ends (never)
Nov 27, 2020 8:50 PM

Aug 2018
i've been in and out of this particular hobby. It always reels me back in somehow, so I guess I'll out live it!
╔════════════════ • • ════════════════╗
Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind
I want to get off, but I keep riding the ride
I never really noticed that I had to decide
To play someone's game, or live my own life
- Get Free, Lana Del Rey

╚════════════════ • • ════════════════╝
Nov 27, 2020 10:30 PM
Jan 2012
For most of us it's a hobby, so there is no age. You should move on if you ever feel like you aren't getting enough out of the medium, or maybe just put it on the backburner, but your age has nothing to do with it seeing as anime has a lot of anime geared towards all the different demographics. Hell, I'm sure you could go to Japan and find an older man or woman that could sing you the Tetsuwan Atom/Astro Boy theme song with a smile on their face.

Don't force yourself to keep going even when your interest is waning, but also don't force yourself to quit because of something like age.
Nov 27, 2020 11:02 PM

Sep 2007
It's either you no longer have time or completely lost interest in it as long you watch anime in moderation.
Nov 28, 2020 1:24 AM

Jul 2015
Never. It's all about time management so that you can watch as much anime as possible before you die.
"Noblesse oblige, I pray for your continuing service as a savior." - Juiz
Mundum divit factum, atque pulchre. (The world is full of abundance and beauty.) - Re:CREATORS
My Candies (2023): Bonus Candies (2023):(2022): Bonus Candies (2022):

Nov 28, 2020 2:00 AM

Sep 2020
This thread sort of begs the question,
why would you even need to move on at a certain age in the first place?
Nov 28, 2020 2:04 AM

Nov 2016
Reading this made me cringe a bit tbh.

Yeah sure, it could be that you've outgrown certain anime. We all get older and the industry is changing as well, but your outlook on this topic seems pretty immature.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 28, 2020 2:49 AM

Apr 2017
Dhaarok said:
A simple search on the mal tab shows how shounen and slice of life outnumbers all the other categories by 40x. Easier to write and mass produce, including the profits from waifu bait.

This applies to any kind of media, really. People harp on about how art, music and literature was "so much better back then, not like the trash coming out now", but the truth is that there have always been very few great works standing atop a mountain of trash that was eventually forgotten with time. For every Sherlock novel there are hundreds of cheap detective novels that aren't worth the paper they were printed on.

Same goes for the anime. Most anime and manga that don't have something to distinguish them from the rest, will eventually be forgotten by the masses.

And like with all media, if you can't find something you like, you're not looking in the right places. Invest effort into looking at what you're interested in, instead of bemoaning how popular shounen is (which it has been for decades, nothing new here).
Nov 28, 2020 3:01 AM

Aug 2016
OP wtf lmfao, pull ya head out ya ass.
I personally read a lot raging from Dickens & Dumas to the latest volume of One Piece.
It's possible to be appreciate great literature and enjoy shounen.
You might lose interest in anime, but it has nothing to do with age or maturity.

“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Nov 28, 2020 3:36 AM
Sep 2019
I’ve went through something a similar thing to you but rather than quitting completely, I looked for different genres and that explored things that shounen never really did right (e.g. romance, tragic events that actually impact the rest of the story etc.).

I definitely recommend checking out things that are “Seinen” too. They tend to have way more interesting stories. There are so many shows and manga people don’t talk about that much but are actually amazing!

Age doesn’t really matter, I have a friend in their 30s who’s just as excited about Jujutsu Kaisen as I am 😂.
Nov 28, 2020 5:38 AM
Aug 2011
Jim_Heart said:
I understand about shonen, but I can still enjoy slice of life, probably better than when I was younger.

It's actually u-shaped. For example, if you were an 18 year old male, very few would be comfortable to openly watch some slice of life like "Aria the animation". But, you might lap that up when you're 12 or when you're 30 and not give a shit.

When people are growing up there's a strong sense to distance themselves from "childish" things, or things that don't fit a "mature" image. But ... the point is that those young people have a distorted view of what mature even means. This is not a sign of being more mature, it's a sign of being overly sensitive of "appearing mature". True maturity is the point where you stop giving a shit what people think.

There's also a misunderstanding here: we view "mature" things as being what people older than us are into. But ... that's just generational, not "mature". At one point the cliche was the middle-aged man who has the model train setup in the basement. So "mature" people must naturally develop an interest in model trains ... ? Actually, it's because those people *grew up* in the era of model trains, so when they get older and have money, they became model train collectors. Hence what I mean by "U shaped" interest. You're seeing that with retro gaming too, but a lot of older people get new consoles too, so they can relive their gaming youth but with full HD. This is the "train collecting" of the modern era. People don't get into the stuff of previous generations, that's not how maturing works, they get into a souped-up version of whatever they grew up with as media.
cipheronNov 28, 2020 5:59 AM
Nov 28, 2020 6:04 AM
Aug 2011
Also, like gaming, anime will adapt to changing demographics. After all, people were having this exact same conversation about gaming a few years back. And basically, nobody asks what's the correct age to stop playing video games now, not even the media. It wasn't that long ago that the media had plenty of stories making fun of those sad sacks (men of course) who were still playing video games into their 30s, but they totally stopped doing that because it's mainstream now for educated 30+ year olds of both genders to play games.

An SVU episode about toxic gaming culture best sums up the shift in attitudes. In this episode a female gamer is harassed then says "a girl into gaming, what was I thinking?" at the end. The whole episode is built around the idea that games are stupid and not for girls, and that was supposed to be the "progressive" viewpoint at the time. While the episode was triggered by GamerGate it represents the pre-gamergate media narrative (games are childish / men like games / therefore men are childish). GamerGate did change the discussion in a good way, in that by targeting men as bad because they won't let the girls play, then you have to actually admit that girls want to play. So this actually changed the media narrative - if men suck because they like games, then if women want to play too what does that make them?

Now, we've "moved on" and the media stories are about those sad sack men in their 30s who still like anime. Anyone have flash backs to media coverage of games here?

This is my thinking:

It's viable for them to keep pumping out teen-oriented stuff only as long as there is a large influx of teen-aged people interested in watching shows. So, that's the viable option as long as there's steady growth in the market. If you look at the number of shows airing each season now, vs 10, 20, or 30 years ago, it's grown a lot. So it's an expanding market, and they focus new material on where that expansion is happening, demographically. So, there are a lot of new people coming into the viewership in their teens and 20s, and if you make a teen-oriented show, then you can capture both markets.

But, that can't keep going on forever, it's going to stall out, then you're going to get a "demographic bubble" that's aging out, similar to gaming. And the market will adapt.

If there's any canary in the coal mine to detect that this is happening, it would be in light novel sales. Light novels are in the extremely teen-oriented segment of the market, so if there's a light novel crash then that might be the sign that the demographics are changing.
cipheronNov 28, 2020 6:28 AM
Nov 28, 2020 9:09 AM

Mar 2016
Around mid forties, in my opinion but it just depends.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Nov 28, 2020 9:15 AM
Oct 2020
It is time to move on from anime when you are so old that you lose your eyesight
Nov 28, 2020 9:17 AM

Aug 2018
I don't think you have a specific time to move on from anime, for the majority of us it's just a hobby so you can go and do something else for a couple months and still watch anime afterwards. Simple as that :)
Nov 28, 2020 9:20 AM

Sep 2020
When you celebrate your grand child's 69th birthday.
I am a useless student of society.
Tests are my body and Grades are my blood.
I have done over a thousand assignments.
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
Yet, those hands shall never hold an outstanding grade.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Nov 28, 2020 9:25 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Personally, I think you can move on from anime when you want.

There are plenty of anime with different age restriction so it's not like ~ kid stuff ~ that many adults say it is. I mean, I'm 31 and I have like zero plans to quit. There are so many different animes and new shows show up every season.

Unless you get bored of anime and can't find anything that interests you, maybe it's time to hang up the pc... sort off.

Saying you don't have time is also BS since it's like saying not having time to workout due to family and work but anyone can find an hour or two a day to just be alone. So those are just bad excuses.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Nov 28, 2020 10:25 AM

Sep 2017
i don't think there really is a age where you're supposed to move on from anime. there are genres like josei and seinen where they are targeted for adults, more mature serious shows, so anime has genres for any age.
[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]

Nov 28, 2020 10:36 AM

Dec 2014
I feel personally that I will never stop watching anime, however as I grow older I feel I will just watch a lot less of it due to further commitments like children etc. I already watch a lot less anime then I did when I started mainly because of work and home life
Nov 28, 2020 2:34 PM
Aug 2011
caprisan said:

That's because the image of people who are *currently* in their mid 40s isn't of an anime fan. If you look it up, the average age of a comic book collector is 50+. Pretty old for a pre-anime thing that was supposed to be only for kids and that people would clearly grow out of, right?
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/398907-the-future-of-comic-book-collecting-amp-investing/

"Mature" is whatever the last generation was into. Look at grannies who still play their old Elvis records. That's because they were teens or young adults when that stuff was new. They were supposed to grow of that teenager devil music, but that clearly never happened. These days you think "middle age" and it's some dad or grandad rockin' to ACDC or the Rolling Stones.

All the age bands of what's supposed to be mature in terms of mediums just shifts along with people as they age up: we just associate specific things with people of a specific age range, and that moves along with them. If anime is the thing now, there's no reason to expect that to be mainstream youth culture forever, it could be displaced by Hololive or something else, and people stuck watching anime seen as old fashioned.
cipheronNov 28, 2020 3:27 PM
Nov 28, 2020 3:52 PM

Jun 2015
If you're of the mentality that there is a certain age where you're supposed to "grow out" of anime, that just means that your passion/appreciation for the medium was never deep enough in the first place, no matter how much time you've spent on it or how vast your knowledge is. That's how I view it, at least.
There's always more stuff out there, you're just looking at the wrong places.
Nov 28, 2020 4:42 PM

Dec 2012
Death. It is only proper answer to this question.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 28, 2020 5:12 PM

Mar 2010
When you move on due let me know, and I'll give you that answer.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 28, 2020 6:03 PM

Nov 2009
cipheron said:
caprisan said:

That's because the image of people who are *currently* in their mid 40s isn't of an anime fan. If you look it up, the average age of a comic book collector is 50+. Pretty old for a pre-anime thing that was supposed to be only for kids and that people would clearly grow out of, right?
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/398907-the-future-of-comic-book-collecting-amp-investing/

"Mature" is whatever the last generation was into. Look at grannies who still play their old Elvis records. That's because they were teens or young adults when that stuff was new. They were supposed to grow of that teenager devil music, but that clearly never happened. These days you think "middle age" and it's some dad or grandad rockin' to ACDC or the Rolling Stones.

All the age bands of what's supposed to be mature in terms of mediums just shifts along with people as they age up: we just associate specific things with people of a specific age range, and that moves along with them. If anime is the thing now, there's no reason to expect that to be mainstream youth culture forever, it could be displaced by Hololive or something else, and people stuck watching anime seen as old fashioned.

^ Honestly this is the best answer.

My perspective is that just because people grow up doesn't mean they give everything up that they found enjoyable and become boring. My mom loves Peanuts (Snoopy, not the food) and collects memorabilia, and she clearly rubbed off on me because I collect anime figures/merch. My dad was a gamer and sci-fi/fantasy nerd when he was alive, and he put a SNES controller in my hand when I was 3.

These things don't go away just because "you got old." Sometimes what people think to be fun and interesting changes and refines, or the way you enjoy the same things changes (i.e. your perspective changes, and you find new details and points of view in things you already loved). Not everything needs to be a life-long interest, but if you leave something behind, it should be because you're no longer interested, NOT because you've reached some arbitrary age.

I'm 31 and an hour ago I opened a box from the Pokemon Center containing a Ball Guy plush and a life-size Yamper plush, and I am delighted. No one can take my hobbies from me just because I'm "old" now.
MajesticOtaKingNov 28, 2020 7:07 PM
Nov 28, 2020 6:07 PM

Jul 2020
Like many of the responses posted, I don't believe there is a particular age to "move on" from anime. Like any other hobby or passion or entertainment, when you begin to lose interest that's usually a sign to back away...at least for a bit. If you're not having fun with it, then what's the point? I'll be the first to admit RL sucks, and sucks often. There's gonna be times when it will make you prioritize things in your life. I've had to give up several hobbies because of it myself (lack of time, expenses, family issues, etc.). And yes, there were times I simply lost interest in them. Some I returned to once the love was rekindled, and some I never took up again. But never did age have anything to do with it.

Having said all that, I suppose my opinions come from a little different point-of-view than most anime fans. I didn't grow up with it. I never really paid it much attention, in fact, until much later in life. I tested the waters about 3 years ago, and now I can't get enough of the stuff. Anime and music have become my favorite means of entertainment (behind my two kids, of course).

The fact that you're asking makes me think it isn't so much about an age or level of maturity than you've simply lost zeal in the art. It could be you're just tired of certain genres. Anime, as they say, has something for everyone. Give fantasy a break and try a little slice-of-life. You never know where your next favorite anime is hiding. And if that doesn't work, then hey, get away from it all for awhile. Find other things that interest or entertain you and indulge in those for a bit.

I guarantee you, my friend, that anime will still be around -- awaiting your return. It won't matter if you're 18 or 78.
Nov 28, 2020 6:27 PM

May 2018
Never??
In my late 30s and love it way more than I did as a dumb teen.

Expand your views. Even considering this choice, leads me to assume you've only seen:
4Kids/4KMedia dubs
Ghibli films
Battle Shonens
Nov 28, 2020 7:11 PM

Aug 2017
cipheron said:
caprisan said:

But anime was always a thing, yes, its more popular now than before but it will never seen as "old fashioned" in the future. If that's true, then films in general that existed for several decades would be considered old fashioned rn.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 28, 2020 7:17 PM

Nov 2019
when berserk ends are when I stop watching anime. i other terms. NEVER
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Nov 28, 2020 7:32 PM

Aug 2016
You quit when you don't feel like anime is doing anything for you anymore, there's no specific age for that. I was 18 years old back in 2012, found most of the new anime I bothered to watch to be garbage and it just seemed to me like anime isn't for me anymore, so I quit, only to go back to it in 2016, admittedly I was kind of dragged along by a friend who really wanted me to watch Steins;Gate. Regardless, from there on I slowly got interested in anime again, I wanted to see what I missed out on, not just in the three years I spent avoiding anime, but also the older stuff I didn't check out, and I don't really know at what age I will be quitting again.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 28, 2020 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
There is no particular age.Once you start the feel a rift between you and anime its a sign that maybe you should move on.Age isn't that large of a factor
Nov 28, 2020 7:49 PM
Feb 2018
Never, I would say.
I'm a avid reader of sci-fi and fantasy that started at the age of 10, now I am 63 years old and enjoy anime, manga and light novels besides sci-fi. My first exposure to Japanese culture was with samurai movies when I was 9 years old: Yojimbo, Sanjuro, The Seven Samurai, the Samurai Pirate and SatoIchi. My first animes were Speed Racer and 8 man back in late 60's.
Nov 28, 2020 8:00 PM
Jul 2018
I never get tired from anime because it's part of my life now.
Nov 28, 2020 8:33 PM
Aug 2011
Nurguburu said:

But anime was always a thing, yes, its more popular now than before but it will never seen as "old fashioned" in the future. If that's true, then films in general that existed for several decades would be considered old fashioned.

You are actually wrong here. Everything has a shelf life, everything will appear old fashioned one day. Everything was new once. To say something current won't ever seem old fashioned, well that's just lacking self-awareness. People already consider 1990s anime hopeless old-fashioned by modern standards. Many ~2007 anime already feel incredibly dated when you put them side by side with a new one. Anime actually dates WORSE than most other media, since the tech is changing fairly quickly.

Anime was always a thing in JAPAN. But ... you have no idea how long it used to take to see a show in USA. Neon Genesis Evangelion was from 1995, but it wasn't fully aired (past episode 2) until 2005 in USA. So USA had the NGE boom 10 years after Japan. Which explains why NGE is much more "current" in the US than it would be if you talk to Japanese people. It's also the same for series like Gundam. That dates from 1979, but none of that made it to America until the year 2000 when you got Gundam Wing, which was already a 5 year old series at the time. Even then, most people just got the Gundam Wing thing on DVD and wouldn't really know there's a whole world of other Gundam stuff out there. Gundam Wing is also a bit niche, being a lesser entry in an action/robot series that was hardly known about in the West, so it was popular but not exactly mainstream appeal.

Before about 2000-2005 all most people knew about anime in the West was Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Sailor Moon (all appearing in USA post 1996) as well as a handful of cyberpunk movies such as Akira, Ghost in the Shell etc, and some old robot shows where they edited them to remove any references to their Japan origin.

Really, the point where most people realized there was more to anime than spiky haired kids, robots and a few gory cyberpunk movies was in 2005 when NGE hit the USA. There was a flood of DVD releases around that time, too. The main reason is that DVDs are far, far, far cheaper to make than VHS tapes: one piece of plastic and you just stamp the movie on it, instead of having to buy tapes and make copies. So ... DVDs and the internet are the two main things that allowed this to happen when it did. The entire Western "anime boom" we're really in now started in 2005 when NGE aired in America, then people started looking for similar series on DVD. That's why Elfen Lied was so big in the USA too, it's DVD came out right after NGE. And then Death Note hit two years after that (no time lag by now), which was perfect timing since NGE was huge at that point.

So pretty much 99.99% of Western anime fandom appeared only in the last 15+ years. This is why all this stuff feels so current, because it's actually extremely new to Western audiences.

Before that, you want to know how you saw anime? You went down to your local blockbuster video rental store, and you checked a shelf labeled "anime" and whatever was on that shelf was what you knew existed, and it was always the same bunch of movies, in pretty much only one genre. I never saw a Ghibli movie at any of those places, just the same selection of gore and cyberpunk 1990s videos, so the assumption behind the selection was that the only people wanting to see this was young dudes wanting to see anime tiddies and heads exploding.
cipheronNov 28, 2020 9:31 PM
Nov 28, 2020 11:21 PM

Aug 2017
@cipheron

>To say something current won't ever seem old fashioned
You're right.....anime was less known before but you forget that as long as the technology continues to exist decades later -and everyone can access-, anime will never be seen as old-fashioned (just adapting to changes but it will continue to be seen as something normal in the future, in fact more normal than now).

>But, that can't keep going on forever, it's going to stall out, then you're going to get a "demographic bubble" that's aging out, similar to gaming.

This is debunked when films are immensely popular and everyone and their mother watch movies. Anime and games are just following the same route. You didn't answer my question, if everything has a shelf life then why films especially American films are still very popular after existing +100 years? Yeah, everything was new once but movies were never seen as old fashioned after several decades. And no, Hololive is not going to replace anime. Its just like the popular game of the moment that will be forgotten later.

This is important, I still don't understand if you are talking about:
-"anime is going to disappear in the future and people still watching anime are going to be seen as old fashioned"
or
-"classic anime from 2010s = old anime several decades later by people from the future".

The first is not true since I used movies as an example, the second option is true, for me, every anime released before 2005 is old and ofc people from several decades later are going to say the same thing with several shows from 2010s. Can you explain to me what you mean?

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 28, 2020 11:31 PM

Nov 2020
Why does there need to be a time to give up? Anime is merely another form of media, created for all ages. That's like saying there is an age to stop watching movies.
Nov 28, 2020 11:33 PM

Nov 2014
Age doesn't matter one bit. you move on vvhen you consider you dont like it anymore.
Nov 29, 2020 1:48 AM
Jul 2018
No age changes you. If you lose interest in anime, then stop watching. But we don't change by spending more days on this earth.
Nov 29, 2020 2:56 AM

Sep 2009
Anime is entertainment. If it fails to do that exactly, entertain you any longer, then perhaps its time to take a break or move onto something else. There's no point to force yourself to do something you're not enjoying with your free time, we adults dont have enough of it as it is :<

We're all golden
Sunflwers
on the inside :>
Nov 29, 2020 3:02 AM

Feb 2020
Never. You‘re never too old to watch anime. Period.
Nov 29, 2020 3:13 AM

Apr 2014
About the same time that you give up everything else that gives you enjoyment in life, I suppose.

Nov 29, 2020 10:40 AM

Sep 2019
there's not a definitive time to "stop watching anime"

thats why theres so many different shows that appeal to different age groups (i.e. shoujo appeals to young teenage females, josei appeals to older women)
Nov 29, 2020 12:51 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No age where you have to move on, do it if you want.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

40 by traed »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

176 by ISeeLifePeople »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

89 by FanofAction »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

46 by mason_black »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

77 by Vosgy »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.