Forum Settings
Forums

At what age is it time to move on from anime?

New
Nov 26, 2020 3:01 AM

Jan 2016
As I get older and older, I start to feel more out of touch with anime. Typically, people get less interested in shounen as they get older and the tropes of it get really tiresome. Story, literature, and character development becomes more important and really the only thing that interests people who become 'mature'.

The older I get the more I realize I spend a lot of time reading books rather than watching anime. And this is not to say that anime is incapable of reaching the thoughtfulness of books but more that the anime industry itself is gear towards children. You can spend hundreds of hours looking for that right anime that scratches the itch for art rather than 'haha explosions so epic', but at that point watching anime isn't even worth the time investment.

In an ideal world anime would have an even amount of content for all ages but reality shows this is not the case. A simple search on the mal tab shows how shounen and slice of life outnumbers all the other categories by 40x. Easier to write and mass produce, including the profits from waifu bait.

Because of this situation, what age do you think should be suggested to give up anime entirely?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 26, 2020 3:02 AM
Jun 2020
You give up on anime at the exact moment you die.
Nov 26, 2020 3:05 AM

Jun 2020
You never move on from anime.Never.
Nov 26, 2020 3:06 AM

Sep 2020
IMO anime is a hobby and something that I find pleasure in. If I'm not finding pleasure in it then it is time to move on, but I don't really think a specific age could be set for when to move on from anime.

“𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒕’𝒔 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’‚π’š π’Šπ’• π’Šπ’”. π‘ͺπ’‰π’‚π’π’ˆπ’† π’Šπ’” π’Šπ’π’†π’—π’Šπ’•π’‚π’ƒπ’π’†. 𝑰𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒐𝒇 π’“π’†π’”π’Šπ’”π’•π’Šπ’π’ˆ π’Šπ’•, π’šπ’π’–’𝒓𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒗𝒆𝒅 π’”π’Šπ’Žπ’‘π’π’š π’ˆπ’π’Šπ’π’ˆ π’˜π’Šπ’•π’‰ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’‡π’π’π’˜.” – π‘Ίπ’‰π’–π’π’”π’–π’Š π‘²π’šπ’π’–π’“π’‚π’Œπ’–
Nov 26, 2020 3:06 AM

Nov 2020
You give up when you lose interest. You come back when you gain interest.
Nov 26, 2020 3:07 AM
Jul 2018
You move on to literature when you finish all the good stuff.
Nov 26, 2020 3:09 AM

Aug 2017
Never! I'm just 1 year younger than you and I have more energy than ever!
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 26, 2020 3:09 AM

Sep 2020
The answer is quite simple actually, its the moment you feel that anime is not meant for you its time to give it up. Some people never give up anime, but that doesn't mean that they are kiddish and immature for example the creator(or CEO or something like that) of Oculus still tweets SAO related stuff. If you think anime is not meant for adults then you are calling Japan a country of kids which far from true.
You see what I am saying is that there is no particular age for that, the main reason most people give up anime is because they don't find anything interesting enough to watch, not because they think its silly or they are over that age.
This is not related to the initial question but when one does feel that way its time to try a new genre.
I am a useless student of society.
Tests are my body and Grades are my blood.
I have done over a thousand assignments.
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
Yet, those hands shall never hold an outstanding grade.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Nov 26, 2020 3:11 AM

May 2016
When you lose your virginity of course.
Nov 26, 2020 3:14 AM
Jul 2018
why set an age though ? Like many people have said , it is time for you to move on when it doesn't interest you any more
Nov 26, 2020 3:15 AM

Nov 2011
I understand about shonen, but I can still enjoy slice of life, probably better than when I was younger.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 26, 2020 3:21 AM
Dec 2017
never give up on anime, but don't presure youself to watch it. there will always be more anime that apeal to you, and if an anime doesn't apeal to you, don't watch it. if books, live action comics or irl activities interest you more at the moment do them too, but just do what you like instead of you feel you should do
Nov 26, 2020 3:26 AM

Jan 2020
I think you can have an idea on what's mature and what isn't without watching all the shows and deciding for yourself, If we're talking about consistent and logical character development, Mature themes, Philosophical ideas, etc... There's a lot of anime that can fulfill that, Especially that there's an exponential influx of anime coming each year, I don't know if your list is up to date, But something like Paranoia Agent fits that bill. If you took your piece from anime and moved to books, That's cool, But I think it'd be worth it if you try to fish out the mature anime that comes every now and then instead of moving on completely, There are still stuff like visual direction and music that books will never reach.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Nov 26, 2020 3:35 AM

Oct 2013
At the age when you have responsibilities on your hands and your family's well being is more important than watching anime. Well,, you might still find time to watch some from time to time, it might not end completely. By then you won't be reserving time for anime, you'll either be watching it in your free time or doing something else. For me, I'll be gaming xD
Nov 26, 2020 3:36 AM
Dec 2019
While anime is generally aimed at a younger audience, saying "what age is it time to move on from anime" is a question as pointless as "what age is it time to move on from books" or games or movies or tv or any similar medium. there is such a variation in content that it is pointless to generalize it into one group. I think that you're just watching anime aimed at a younger audience bro, maybe try some genres out of your comfort zone?
anime fatigue is also 100% a thing tho, you may be feeling that?
Nov 26, 2020 3:39 AM
Sep 2017
I think its all about tastes, when I was in 10th grade I started watching anime religiously, it was new, which anime appealed me the most that time? the shounen actions and the harems with cute girls. Now I am 22, I still watch it but I can see a change in me, I actively try to avoid typical battle shounen and harem... I find harems especially repulsive, example - Nisekoi is in favorites for manga but that is bcz it was my first manga and I used to enjoy harem, now even a better harem than Nisekoi I find it boring, I can't reread Nisekoi cause I know I will hate it now... Now I try to find SOL with romance, I am a sucker for romance but not the cringe kind, I want more mature romance, stories like Nozoki Ana, Bonnouji and sometimes I like heartwarming & tearjerker stories as well like Ohayou Ibarahime, so if you can find anime/manga that matches your maturing tastes I don't see a reason to move on. Also the more you age, you turn towards manga as their are mangas with mature stories that don't get adapted like it did in the early 2000s, (so much mature some anime from those time are). Nowadays bcz of the current "moe" culture, only anime with harem, isekai, battle shounen and cheesy shoujo gets adapted which I despise so much as it is targeted to School boys/girls... So that's my take...
Jocus_Nov 26, 2020 3:47 AM
Nov 26, 2020 3:45 AM
May 2009
Never. Don't see a reason to. Aslong as anime remains good and interesting, there is no reason to stop.
Nov 26, 2020 3:46 AM
Oct 2019
I start watching Anime 2 years ago at that time i only like to watch show's like Naruto and stuff aka( action ) category as i am today i start liking deffrent kind of animes like isekai , slice of life you can't say you are getting over anime your teast just keep on chanting
Nov 26, 2020 3:51 AM

Aug 2016
I swear... I seen this same thread for the 30th time this year, and I'll say it again, never, I'll lose interest, but I'll comeback ones again.
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあγͺγŸγŒιΈγ‚“γ ε…„εΌŸγ§γ™
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2ι™γ‹ε…ˆη”Ÿ88#7307
Nov 26, 2020 3:55 AM

May 2018
Why do you need to invent excuses or put yourself in some limitations?
I've heard some guys even say that they won't watch G and PG shows anymore because they've already grown up. That's childish behavior as it is. Adult people can enjoy "kiddy" shows. 40+ guys can enjoy anime for young audience. Nothing to stop them from doing this and nothing to be ashamed of. There are many G and PG shows which are praised by adults much more than by kids.

Good thing you've grown up and improved your taste.
Bad thing you've already given up, only having watched about 100 anime (if your list here is complete) and not having read any manga at all.
There is unending amount of things which you'll love, if you just search shows similar to those you liked.
Also, there is a whole different world of manga, where there are brilliant things which haven't been animated and probably will never be.
All you need is discover.
You can say you've grown out of anime when you watch at least 1000 titles. Other than that it should be called "giving up".
Note: I'm 30. There are many 30+ users on MAL. I've seen both 40 and 50 year old people here. Nobody's going to give up on their hobby.
Man, I even saw a 40yo guy praising Clannad as it was the God's Revelation (not sure if his mental health is ok though)
Nemo_NiemandNov 26, 2020 4:01 AM

Nov 26, 2020 4:01 AM

May 2014
Don't really get your point with lumping shounen in with slice of life after saying there's not much variety in demographics, since the latter is usually aimed at older guys.
Nov 26, 2020 4:05 AM

Jan 2019
Well, I'm in my thirties and still get emotional over watching the opening scene of The Lion King. If I can still enjoy this now (and enjoy it again with any kids I might have down the line) then I think anime, which these days I enjoy a lot more than the nostalgic old Disney 'toons, still has a very, very long lifespan with me.

So in answer to your question, there is no set age where it's time to "move on".
Nov 26, 2020 4:06 AM

Apr 2020
by society's standard? after college
actually? as long as you want

Nov 26, 2020 4:08 AM

May 2018
Ah, op has given Code Geass a 9, Cowboy Bebop a 3, Trigun a 2, Perfect Blue a 3 and GITS a 2.
Look who's talking about growing up lmao.
Turned out to be another troll, bah.
Nemo_NiemandNov 26, 2020 4:12 AM

Nov 26, 2020 4:09 AM

Feb 2018
Doesn't have anything to do with age. Just watch what you're interested in, that's it. Of course a lot is for children or teens, but not everything. And even those shows can be nice once in a while.

Nemo_Niemand said:
Why do you need to invent excuses or put yourself in some limitations?
I've heard some guys even say that they won't watch G and PG shows anymore because they've already grown up. That's childish behavior as it is. Adult people can enjoy "kiddy" shows. 40+ guys can enjoy anime for young audience. Nothing to stop them from doing this and nothing to be ashamed of. There are many G and PG shows which are praised by adults much more than by kids.

This. *thumbs up*
Nov 26, 2020 4:14 AM

Jun 2019
Wow you're still in your 20's, that's not old at all. I've noticed that i moved towards more SoL and seinen in the last few years. Saying that I only got into anime proper over the last decade, so late 20's was when I started.

There's plenty for me still to watch. I've only scratched the surface of 90's and early 2000's fantasy and sci-fi, which is especially appealing to me as I'm a child of the 90's and love the srt style and character designs of this era.
Nov 26, 2020 4:23 AM
Mar 2011
There is no such age. As long as you can enjoy it, and you like it, there's no problem if you watch it.
Nov 26, 2020 4:33 AM

Jan 2010
You're definitly not very mature when you seek validation in an anime forum.

You can just stop watching anime right now and come back to it whenever you feel like it.
Nov 26, 2020 4:39 AM

Apr 2015
There is no need to give up on a hobby, if you are still enjoying it.
Nov 26, 2020 4:44 AM

Jun 2017
Im older than you and Im not even close to moving on from anime...

You getting bored of anime has nothing to do with age or growing up
Nov 26, 2020 4:45 AM

May 2020
I definitely come and go when it comes to watching anime. I'm a year older than you and also really enjoy reading books, but I even need a break from that time to time. No set age, I know people in their 40's that still enjoy anime.
Nov 26, 2020 4:48 AM
Oct 2020
2shizukasensei88 said:
I swear... I seen this same thread for the 30th time this year, and I'll say it again, never, I'll lose interest, but I'll comeback ones again.

Nc,I thought I was the only one.when I lose interest all I do is watch one peice weekly.
Nov 26, 2020 4:51 AM
Jul 2018
I keep finding shows that interest me, until they stop coming then that's gonna be the end.
Nov 26, 2020 4:53 AM

Aug 2018
You stop when u feel like there isn't point of watching it anymore, age is just a number
Nov 26, 2020 4:54 AM

Aug 2016
Zetski said:
2shizukasensei88 said:

Nc,I thought I was the only one.when I lose interest all I do is watch one peice weekly.

Same lmao, I just rewatch my favorites, when I lose interest.
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあγͺγŸγŒιΈγ‚“γ ε…„εΌŸγ§γ™
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2ι™γ‹ε…ˆη”Ÿ88#7307
Nov 26, 2020 5:01 AM
Apr 2016
There is no age where you move on from it. One may find that their tastes and preferences have changed over time but there will always be an artist that makes compelling and intriguing stories and characters and choses to encapsulate that through their art/anime. Even if its once in a blue moon.

You can also take long breaks and long periods where you dont watch anime but you do find that one that's just what you need. Even if it's very rare.
Nov 26, 2020 5:05 AM

Aug 2018
It's not related to age. Find another hobby you enjoy. Come back whenever you feel like it, or don't.
Nov 26, 2020 5:11 AM

Jul 2015
Hey, you're in for the literary value and greatness, right?

Tell me, is every book worth something to read? Are half the books worth something? A quarter? No, 95% books are trash. Wich still leaves you with a substantial selection of classics and acclaimed writers to chose from. If you run out of those, you'll have to search for hidden gems.
Anime's exactly the same, so I'm not sure what's the subject here. with only 38 days of anime watched you're not exactly at the "hidden gems" stade rn. Lemme look at your list so I can recommend stuff...

*Spice and Wolf rated 9, Aku no Hana rated 2" Well actually I can't recommend you anything.

(^:
Nov 26, 2020 6:06 AM

Nov 2016
At 60, which is the life expectancy in my country.
Nov 26, 2020 6:09 AM
Sep 2020
As soon as possible, dont stay a kid forever
Attack on titan final arc makes game of throne season 8 look like a MASTERPIECE.

isayama is fucking incompetent clown
Nov 26, 2020 6:09 AM

Oct 2020
You stop watching anime when you no longer find it enjoyable. But that doesn't mean your interest cannot be sparked again in the future. We never know how the anime industry is gonna evolve, so if you get bored with what shows are released now, who knows what the future holds. Also, I doubt you've seen most of older anime, maybe those shows are more suitable to you, who knows.
Nov 26, 2020 6:20 AM
Mar 2016
Dude I can totally understand what you're saying.
Ever since I got into University, I feel so out of touch with anime. I barely watch anything anymore.
I have no interest in sequels of show I really enjoyed like I still haven't finished rezero s2 and think it is so ''basic'' when others are raving about it, even though i liked s1.
I got into anime because of liking animation and stuff not because of weeb shit so i guess i'm slowly losing interest in that.
This is why I love anime movies because they are so liberated from generic anime tropes.
I totally get what Miyazaki was saying (even if it was misquoted) ''anime was a mistake'' because i hate the fact that it is now described with tropes and cliches rather than just ''Animation from Japan''.

Anyways, I will try to get back to anime since I am free from university for a month or two so who knows,,,,maybe i'll get back into it.
Nov 26, 2020 6:31 AM

Dec 2015
Hmm, I was around 17 -18 when I started to watch Anime, based on this post. I should have moved on from Anime after watching a show or two.

Don't really understand why it would be a X age when you need to stop Anime.

Most people in this community, that makes post about they are bored or don't know what to do, as they don't feel the same as they did when they started to watch Anime.
Mostly have one thing in common, they are trapped in they delusion mind, that Shounen is the only thing that exist out there.

People should start exploring more genres and at least try to watch something good like Nana and RoV, but it shows that gets ignored by a huge amount of people. And instead there are doing post about how bored they are when they have completed 91 shounen shows.

It exist shows out there, that's really good and it's easier to enjoy them when you're older.

Don't understand why you need to quite watching Anime just because you hit x age. I'm sorry but it sounds ridiculous stupid.

Nov 26, 2020 6:36 AM

Dec 2018
idk...when you won't have enough time to watch anime! that's when you know that you should move on
Nov 26, 2020 6:36 AM
Apr 2013
I've watched anime for 20 years now, and I still find enjoyable shows. Perhaps just not take the most favorite shonen shows and you might find that there is other stuff as well. And as someone already said here, Books, like anime, have also lot of bad works. So does everything really.
Nov 26, 2020 6:41 AM

May 2020
VsauceDealer said:
As soon as possible, dont stay a kid forever

or the opposite?

I'm 25yo and i'm still watching anime, playing video games ( even pokemon ones ) and i don't have something to say about it.

It's all about your entertainment and nothing else.
“Reality rejected… synapses shattered… be vanished from this world!” ~ Rikka Takanashi
Nov 26, 2020 6:43 AM

Jul 2012
Another one of this threads, jesus christ...

The question is ridiculous. At NO age you should be suggested of quitting something harmless that you enjoy.
Nov 26, 2020 6:46 AM

Mar 2020
Dhaarok said:
You can spend hundreds of hours looking for that right anime that scratches the itch for art rather than 'haha explosions so epic',

you've just described almost every hollywood movie produced since it was possible to record explosions and special effects on camera

opinion profoundly discarded

but hey, at least your pfp checks if you know what I mean~
Nov 26, 2020 6:47 AM

Sep 2019
There is no appropriate age. If you feel like you've lost interest in anime, then feel free to let go of it, but there is no objective way to tell how old you should be. Some people won't lose their interest in anime at all, and some people will watch one or two and decide it's just not for them.
Don't fear the gods,

Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get, and

What is terrible is easy to endure.
Nov 26, 2020 6:51 AM
Jul 2018
Shiroyaki said:
If there are people who can watch undisturbed lobotomizing programs like Big Brother, Geordie Shore and the Kardashians doing things that shouldn't matter to anyone.
I can watch 15-year-olds fight in fantasy scenarios for as long as I want.

Absolutely, I hate these shows in "normal tv channels" and some of the comedies are also cringe. I saw for example a few episodes if Two Broke Girls etc. They are written like horny teenager are sitting behind the script and they giggle at every sex joke.

If you think you are not interested in anime anymore, because you are "too old", then because of society's dumb standards.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 10 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
3 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

63 by inim »»
5 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

52 by Maroonedisback »»
10 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

71 by KeyiOs »»
11 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

32 by Zimmu »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.