Forum Settings
Forums

Manga is not an "Adaptation" of an anime

New
Nov 25, 2020 10:47 AM

Feb 2017
On the info page of a particular anime there is a section where you can click the link which redirects you to the manga info page, which is the source material for the anime.

For example, on the info page of Haikyuu!! (anime) in the Related Anime section (also idk why the section is called Related Anime, when there is also a link to the manga) there is a link to the manga and it looks like this -> Adaptation: Haikyuu!!. When you go to the manga page, in Related Manga (same issue with the section name) there is a link to the anime and it also looks like this -> Adaptation: Haikyuu!!.

Since manga is not an adaptation of the anime, but vice versa, I suggest that on the anime page you change the Adaptation: to something like Source:.
Nov 26, 2020 10:03 AM

Feb 2019
That seems a bit pedantic, to be honest. As I see it, "Adaptation" can mean both "Adapted From" and "Adapted Into."

Of course, in some cases Manga IS an adaptation of an Anime, namely Anime originals that have subsequent Manga releases.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Nov 26, 2020 11:50 AM

Aug 2018
Adaptation doesn't just mean adapted from though
_______I like rocks__
Nov 26, 2020 12:52 PM

Feb 2018
Well if the anime is the original source then what else can the manga be?

Nov 28, 2020 1:51 PM

Feb 2016
The real problem is when it's NOT an adaptation, like when the original source is a video game.
And why do only anime count as "adaptations?" Why is the relationship between a manga and novel always listed as "alternative version" even when it's an adaptation?
その目だれの目?
Nov 28, 2020 10:04 PM
Aug 2011
Lucifrost said:
The real problem is when it's NOT an adaptation, like when the original source is a video game.
And why do only anime count as "adaptations?" Why is the relationship between a manga and novel always listed as "alternative version" even when it's an adaptation?

Mainly because someone would have to go through 30000+ entries and update all of them with this new system.

So the system that exists is whenever you have two things in print that cover the same story, they're call alternative version, and whenever you have two things on video that do that, they're also called alternative version.

You also have to consider the industry use of the word "adaptation". If you see Wikipedia, there's a widely accepted term under adaptation, "film adaptation" and that's the meaning of the one used here. There is an alternative term "literary adaptation" which means to adapt something into a book, and that could include another book or a comic, but that's not the sense that's being used here.

And you're right, some mangas, rarely, are adapted from anime. But then you can just switch to considering that as the "literary adaptation" meaning when it suits, and it's rare enough and unimportant enough that it doesn't really matter.
cipheronNov 28, 2020 10:16 PM
Nov 29, 2020 7:04 AM

Feb 2016
@cipheron
I understand that it would be too difficult to change everything at this point, but that doesn't mean the system isn't broken.

MAL's terminology doesn't specify "film" adaptations. It merely says "adaptation," which can mean anything. Wikipedia defines the word as "a transfer of a work of art from one style to another." This would mean the All You Need is Kill manga is adapted from the All You Need is Kill novel, yet it is listed as an "alternative version."

I said nothing about manga adapted from anime.

You didn't counter my point on anime adapted from video games, so I will assume you agree with me. Contrary to what this site claims, the Stein;Gate anime is not an adaptation of the Steins;Gate manga.

TL;DR This website uses "adaptation" for certain works that aren't adaptations, and "alternative version" for others that are actual adaptations.
その目だれの目?
Nov 29, 2020 9:24 AM
Aug 2011
So, you could have the Steins;Gate anime and mange listed as alternative versions, right because that fills some need to see that corrected.

Also, if you check, there's a thing "Source: Visual novel" on the left of the Steins;Gate entry. Anyone can just look at that and realize it's not from the manga.

This is also a "be careful what you wish for" issue. You have to realize that if they fix your complaint, they don't necessarily need to do what you want them to do, they just need to fix things (the easiest way) which removes your complaint.

I know from personal experience that it can be hard to separate your complaint from your proposed fix in your mind, but just be aware, a complaint and your proposed solution are NOT the same thing, at all. The problem is that when someone is trying to push a specific solution, they work backwards to find issues that the solution fixes, but they may have blinkered vision to the reality that there can be multiple possible solutions, and their fix is just one of them, and might not even be the best or most practical solution. Sometimes highlighting a problem because you want them to adopt your pet solution causes them to focus on the problem and come up with their own solution which may be wildly different to what you had in mind.

they have two main options that satisfy your complaints:

(Option 1)

Change how the database works, go through all 30000 entries, research and set the direction on every adaptation link, check whether third-party properties (games etc) exist such that the works should be considered Alternative versions or whether there's a daisy-chain of adaptation (e.g. Pokemon Game => Pokemon Anime => Pokemon Manga). The amount of research needed for this project is about on the scale of someone doing a PhD on the topic.

(Option 2)

The easy option. Rename the text on the "Adaptation" link to "Alternative Version" all the time. After all, any Adaptation is by definition also an Alternative Version, and now direction doesn't matter, and you don't have to go through individual entries and check anything this way. Hell, you could write a 2-line Javascript plug-in that achieves this feat.

if you had a lot of people complaining that the Adaptation link didn't specify direction, and you had to fix that and it costs money to fix it, which way would you choose?
cipheronNov 29, 2020 10:21 AM

More topics from this board

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
8 hours ago

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.