Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 25, 2020 6:09 AM

Sep 2020
Yo, I´m kind of having an existencial crisis and I´m wondering what was everyone´s first job was after High school/college and how did you got it and if it was a job you wanted to have and if you have some advice to how someone can improve their CV or get better jobs you can also say it please

By this I´m referring to full time jobs, not part time

mangekyou47Nov 25, 2020 6:13 AM
"If I get reincarnated… I wanna become a clam.” – Monkey D Luffy

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 25, 2020 6:41 AM

Oct 2010
I worked at a bussiness center but I had menial jobs like sending mails (only for a few months and it was part-time, it was after college)
then I worked at a tourism agency but quit after the probation period (I think that's the word) because the pay was lame
then a few months as a dishwasher, prep kitchen etc at a restaurant in the States, it was cool and I liked the environment

my full job was as a hotel receptionist, pretty cool but too many hours and lousy salary.

my advice, just work in any field in the beginning, you will learn about working in general and how to treat future problems, and in your off time, spend time trying to be better in the field you wanna work.
hope this helps at least a little
Nov 25, 2020 6:44 AM

Aug 2018
My first job was working at factory (or processing facility as technically wasn't a factory)
_______I like rocks__
Nov 25, 2020 6:45 AM

Oct 2020
used to do a full time illustration under someone who's majorly a part of school for almost 3 years. though i don't receive any money (maybe a little but not a desirable amount) but i got some reccom from other schools and recognitions.
Nov 25, 2020 6:49 AM

Jul 2020
Watching anime after highschool was my first job.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Nov 25, 2020 6:50 AM

Oct 2015
Hm.. Answering that is a bit complicated, because I got part-time summer jobs, full-time summer jobs, internships or so. My first job that was none of it, that could be the beginning of a carreer was as a French teacher in Middle-School. That was the easiest I could get with my background.

As for practical advices: I personally always do so that my CV is only one-page length, which is now pretty difficult. Also, recruiters like CV to be precise: they want to be able to see what exactly you were doing in the job. Adding side competences like languages, Excel, or even if you enjoy writing or traveling is also nice. I personally also added some of my charity labours on it.
As for cover letter, I think the way of writing them depends on the country. I still do it the French way, wherever I apply >.<
Nov 25, 2020 7:02 AM

Oct 2012
I worked as a trainee in a small photo studio.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Nov 25, 2020 7:06 AM

Dec 2015
Does being a paperboy count?
Because when I was 12 I would deliver news papers 6 days a week and get paid £15.
Now that I think about it I was getting ripped off.
Nov 25, 2020 7:38 AM
Jul 2018
My first job was rather embarrassing. When I was at school we were all told to go and get work experience. We all went down to West End in London to look for jobs at fashion retailers and shops like that. Few of us got a gig. I couldn’t find anything anywhere and had nothing on my CV except for my academic achievements so far and some summer courses that I did. Nobody was interested.

In the end my mother got me a gig at the local Chinese takeaway. We were customers there for years and my mother was friends with the husband and wife that ran it. They gladly took me on. I couldn’t stand the smell of having to wash and prepare seafood. I had to take the shells off of the shrimp and I had to wash the dishes and pack the orders into containers and seal them and bag them and give them to the customers. I also had to take telephone orders when not working in the kitchen. Everyone else at school got a job that was less embarrassing or they didn’t get one at all. I don’t think of it as embarrassing now but at the time...
Nov 25, 2020 7:44 AM

Jun 2019
My first full time job was as a bellboy at a fancy hotel for a couple of months.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Nov 25, 2020 8:47 AM

Mar 2012
My first full-time job was actually an internship I did during my final semester, got a letter of recommendation from the college but I had to work for free. My job was web development.

For my first full-time "job" I applied to and attended countless interviews, sometimes I didn't get called/selected other times I rejected the offer due to one reason or another (mostly due to very low salary or misleading JDs). After 8 months of searching I finally got a half-decent internship position as a Software Developer and later converted to an employee at the same place. It wasn't exactly the job I wanted but I had to take it since being unemployed for 8 months after finishing college is quite a long time and I had to start somewhere.
Nov 25, 2020 9:06 AM

Sep 2020
Administrative assistant for a sanitation company, but it was 30h/week. My first and only 40h/week job was project planner at a construction company. Next year I'll be a High School Math teacher, which is a stable and easy to maintain job, if everything goes right.

The easiest way to get a job is to have a friend or parent in the company who can recommend you to their superiors. That's how I got all my jobs. I still had to do the interviews and all that crap but their recommendations were far more important than my curriculum or what I said in those interviews.
"This post does not necessarily reflect the views or actual actions of the owner of this profile and was perhaps written only for the purpose of entertainment and/or debate."
Nov 25, 2020 9:10 AM

Aug 2007
My first job was a call center operator for an outbound account / cold calls. Our target audience are overseas Filipino workers and foreigners who has contacts in the Philippines. We try to sold international calling cards. It was in 2014.

It was a legitimate company but I still think it was a low-key scam. Most of my units sold was from older folks who has no idea that you can call anyone via the internet for free. We kind of took advantage of those people lol.

Unfortunately, I am not Jordan Belfort. I managed to sold less than 10 units.. I think it was 5, before quitting after 2 months.
もろともに
哀れと思へ
山桜

花より外に
知る人もなし.

On a mountain slope,
Solitary, uncompanioned,
Stands a cherry tree.

Except for you, lonely friend,
To others I am unknown.

Nov 25, 2020 9:11 AM

Jan 2009
a dead end job factory worker position

i say try internship or volunteering to the place you want to work with to get that needed experience at least

try also apprenticeship if that is available where you are
Nov 25, 2020 9:17 AM

Jul 2011
In a chocolate/sweets factory, no I'm not kidding. I was wrapping up "Knoppers" mainly.

Nov 25, 2020 9:23 AM
Jul 2018
The first time I worked was after 2nd year of HS, I went to england to work for summer holidays.
Besides that, during the final yearl of HS I worked in retail for whopping 2,3 euro per hour.
Nov 25, 2020 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
First job ever was McDonald in some cowboy looking town called Barstow. It was 2 stories tall and people ate in these car thing.

Edit: That was my summer job. My first job was Candy store in the mall I forgot what it was called.
removed-userNov 25, 2020 9:37 AM
Nov 25, 2020 10:38 AM
Jul 2020
Fucking Canadian Tire, lol. It was tiresome.
Nov 25, 2020 11:03 AM

Feb 2019
My first full-time job is my current one and that's top secret information.

My first paid job was as a walking tour guide. I got so much cash money out of tips and people asking to hang out later because they wanted a local to show them the best spots, good and simple times.

A random tip: if you're aiming for any opening that you'd need a degree for, put effort into your cover letter. Good CV designs are good and all to get the HR person's attention, but the cover letter is even more important for that goal.

Edit: I almost forgot another tip, but this is mostly for people still in undergrad. Don't be too proud and think that, even when you do have references, you won't need them. You'll need them. Bust your ass networking if you must. Your life in the workforce will be much easier that way.
KosmonautNov 25, 2020 11:13 AM
Nov 25, 2020 11:07 AM

Dec 2016
I worked as a salesman in a department store, at 19.
Nov 25, 2020 11:45 AM
Jul 2018
Not counting internships (which were also full-time), my first full-time job was as a math and science teacher at a middle school. I was 22. I liked it as it was at a low-income school that was part of a non-profit and was my first foray into education and the development sector (where I got stuck by my own choice after wards). I chose the job out of others and applied through my university recruitment process. Good grades at uni help to be attractive to employers.
Nov 25, 2020 11:49 AM

May 2013
I worked at a care facility for the elderly and disabled as my first job.

I am sure you can imagine I have alot of stories about people with dementia now. Still was a good job that I miss haha.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Nov 25, 2020 12:02 PM

Sep 2020
I worked in a cheese factory. It was my first paid part-time job, I was 17. But my first and current full-time job is as a philosophy teacher at university and also as an author.
Nov 25, 2020 12:19 PM

Dec 2016
Was an accountant at a plastics manufacturing company. Even if I wasn’t an accountant lol Still figuring out what I wanna do though. I am sure that it wouldn’t have been that one :/

Nov 25, 2020 12:29 PM

Sep 2017
I'd massage people's shoulders in junior school for 25 cents
خ
Nov 25, 2020 2:22 PM
Dec 2017
in high school as a graduation requirement you had to do 40 hours of community service i used to be a volunteer at salvation army. My current job is basically media anaylst and critic but i'm planning on focusing on my safety net and i plan on taking online courses related to library work.
Disapeared_GhostNov 25, 2020 2:26 PM

Nov 25, 2020 2:25 PM

Jun 2020
i used to work at fucking chuck e cheese... not the damn move. i worked at shoe palace after and it was bad as well, now i just have my own side hustle
Nov 25, 2020 2:31 PM

Jun 2019
tsubasa_ said:
In a chocolate/sweets factory, no I'm not kidding. I was wrapping up "Knoppers" mainly.

Ah, I see that you are a woman of culture as well. I also worked in a chocolate factory for a week when I was 14, and did some chain work mainly. Never again! The other interesting things were the scientific tests, and I will regret all my life not having been able to partake in the radioactivity test that occurred a week before I came.

Kosmonaut said:

My first paid job was as a walking tour guide. I got so much cash money out of tips and people asking to hang out later because they wanted a local to show them the best spots, good and simple times.

A random tip: if you're aiming for any opening that you'd need a degree for, put effort into your cover letter. Good CV designs are good and all to get the HR person's attention, but the cover letter is even more important for that goal.

Edit: I almost forgot another tip, but this is mostly for people still in undergrad. Don't be too proud and think that, even when you do have references, you won't need them. You'll need them. Bust your ass networking if you must. Your life in the workforce will be much easier that way.

Every one knows that you are a graduate student who is procrastinating all day on MAL and PhD comics. This is fine, your advisor can not watch anime and go to fancy conference dinners at the same time.
Nov 25, 2020 2:53 PM

Jul 2011
Meusnier said:
tsubasa_ said:

Ah, I see that you are a woman of culture as well. I also worked in a chocolate factory for a week when I was 14, and did some chain work mainly. Never again! The other interesting things were the scientific tests, and I will regret all my life not having been able to partake in the radioactivity test that occurred a week before I came.

Oh nice! I was 19 when I worked there, but only for a month or so because the pay was actually pretty bad and I earned less than I should have. But I still liked it there, was nice earning my own money, but sometimes it was quite stressful too.
And about the test.. well I'm sorry to hear that xD

Nov 25, 2020 2:54 PM

Sep 2020
You really wanna know huh... me too lol
Nov 25, 2020 3:07 PM

Feb 2019
Meusnier said:
Kosmonaut said:

Every one knows that you are a graduate student who is procrastinating all day on MAL and PhD comics. This is fine, your advisor can not watch anime and go to fancy conference dinners at the same time.
That's an absolute and blatant lie, I'm offended you think so little of me. I actually only procrastinate on MAL a mere half an hour each day. The rest of it I'm hard at work with a blank sheet doc opened and v-tuber streams in the background. I like to think I'm very proactive.
Nov 25, 2020 3:22 PM

Jun 2019
tsubasa_ said:
Meusnier said:

Oh nice! I was 19 when I worked there, but only for a month or so because the pay was actually pretty bad and I earned less than I should have. But I still liked it there, was nice earning my own money, but sometimes it was quite stressful too.

At least you were paid.
Now that the chocolate factory has closed, I will never know how much radioactive chocolate is.

Now I remember that they had given me 3kg of chocolate. Of course, I bribed the jury by giving them some chocolate at the end of my presentation. Now, only bank transfers would do with the jurys...

Kosmonaut said:
Meusnier said:

That's an absolute and blatant lie, I'm offended you think so little of me. I actually only procrastinate on MAL a mere half an hour each day. The rest of it I'm hard at work with a blank sheet doc opened and v-tuber streams in the background. I like to think I'm very proactive.

This could not be more untrue, I hold you in high esteem. By the way, you could still work hard at night and procrastinate all day, so there is no contradiction in my words.

"a blank sheet doc opened"... Please do not tell me that you still use Word? With a blank sheet LaTeX doc opened, your productivity will rocket. Why is so? You need to write some lines in the preamble! No more blank page angst!
Nov 25, 2020 3:36 PM

Jul 2011
Meusnier said:
tsubasa_ said:

At least you were paid.
Now that the chocolate factory has closed, I will never know how much radioactive chocolate is.

Now I remember that they had given me 3kg of chocolate. Of course, I bribed the jury by giving them some chocolate at the end of my presentation. Now, only bank transfers would do with the jurys...

I wouldn't have worked there if I didn't get at least a bit out of it haha.
That's quite unfortunate, tbh my mom is working in a chocolate factory, a pretty famous one to be exact. I can give you some details on Discord.

Lol yes I can imagine, my mom gets some stuff cheaper because she works there, also a large bag with lots of sweets and chocolate on special days like birthdays for example.

Nov 25, 2020 3:43 PM

Feb 2019
Meusnier said:
Kosmonaut said:

This could not be more untrue, I hold you in high esteem. By the way, you could still work hard at night and procrastinate all day, so there is no contradiction in my words.

"a blank sheet doc opened"... Please do not tell me that you still use Word? With a blank sheet LaTeX doc opened, your productivity will rocket. Why is so? You need to write some lines in the preamble! No more blank page angst!
You flatter me by thinking I'd be productive at night and not read the same paragraph over and over again. Worry not, I shine the best during the day, I manage to read even five whole paragraphs sometimes.

Of course I don't use Word, I wouldn't want to be bullied by the cool LaTeX kids. I still don't know why people don't just accept the clear hegemony of the notepad windows app.
Nov 25, 2020 4:17 PM

Jun 2019
tsubasa_ said:
Meusnier said:

At least you were paid.

I wouldn't have worked there if I didn't get at least a bit out of it haha.
That's quite unfortunate, tbh my mom is working in a chocolate factory, a pretty famous one to be exact. I can give you some details on Discord.

Lol yes I can imagine, my mom gets some stuff cheaper because she works there, also a large bag with lots of sweets and chocolate on special days like birthdays for example.

Well, I was forced by the State to work freely for a week... Slavery is still very real apparently.

Seems interesting, I will ask you next time!

Kosmonaut said:
Meusnier said:

You flatter me by thinking I'd be productive at night and not read the same paragraph over and over again. Worry not, I shine the best during the day, I manage to read even five whole paragraphs sometimes.

Of course I don't use Word, I wouldn't want to be bullied by the cool LaTeX kids. I still don't know why people don't just accept the clear hegemony of the notepad windows app.

Some famous mathematician built his legend by saying that he used to organise parties and dance tango at night. He forgot to add that he would spend the rest of the night working during 6 or 8 hours. I thought that you were also starting to build it yourself. For some reason, bragging about watching anime and shitposting on an anime forum does not look nearly as good, I wonder what happened to the kids today.

This is a relief to learn that you do not use Word. There are no cool LaTeX kids any more for all the questions have already been asked on TeX stack exchange (except the ones I have of course!). And merely using TeX does not make you cool, you need to learn the difference between \emph{} and \textit{} (one should be banned), and stop using $$ if you want to earn the respect from your peers. Haha, memochou should only be an anime title.
Nov 25, 2020 4:23 PM

Feb 2018
Give my parents a massage then they give me money, can this be called a jobs?
Nov 25, 2020 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
my first full time job after high school was at a factory. a year and a half later and I'm still working here.
Nov 25, 2020 4:56 PM

Sep 2020
I only do part-time jobs until I graduate and since then I've never been laid off and start right where I wanna be.

For my interview, I just dress sharp, look good with a fresh haircut, walk the walk talk the talk with whatever I put on my resume and "act" very polite and pleasant. My interviewer being female helps too I guess...

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Nov 25, 2020 6:53 PM

Apr 2018
My first full time job was as an academic staff for a company that provide "(government-affiliated-financial)college preparatory course". Before I was hired, I worked as a part time mathematics tutor (we have a different naming here but it is comparable to Scholastic Aptitude Test) for the same company so I didn't face any difficulty to get hired as a full timer. The main thing they see in hiring a tutor were your ability to teach (through micro-teaching) and your score in their version of scholastic aptitude test (for math, they had a more complicated test than the usual). They asked for documents such as CV and the others, but they were just for formality.
Nov 26, 2020 2:29 AM
Jul 2018
I worked at the grocery store for 8 months, then quit one day when I was suppose to come in. I got so tired of that shit
Nov 26, 2020 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
To advise others financially.

Was a silly job that felt meaningless but it did bring in a ton of cash.
Nov 26, 2020 7:33 AM

Sep 2020
Catalano said:
I worked at a bussiness center but I had menial jobs like sending mails (only for a few months and it was part-time, it was after college)
then I worked at a tourism agency but quit after the probation period (I think that's the word) because the pay was lame
then a few months as a dishwasher, prep kitchen etc at a restaurant in the States, it was cool and I liked the environment

my full job was as a hotel receptionist, pretty cool but too many hours and lousy salary.

my advice, just work in any field in the beginning, you will learn about working in general and how to treat future problems, and in your off time, spend time trying to be better in the field you wanna work.
hope this helps at least a little

Yeah I´m thinking about working at different part time jobs until I graduate college since my grades aren´t too famous and thanks for the advice!

Nov 26, 2020 7:35 AM

Sep 2020
EmtShell said:
used to do a full time illustration under someone who's majorly a part of school for almost 3 years. though i don't receive any money (maybe a little but not a desirable amount) but i got some reccom from other schools and recognitions.

Even if you weren´t well paid at least you got something good out of it I suppose

Nov 26, 2020 7:38 AM

Sep 2020
Nyarlathothep said:
Hm.. Answering that is a bit complicated, because I got part-time summer jobs, full-time summer jobs, internships or so. My first job that was none of it, that could be the beginning of a carreer was as a French teacher in Middle-School. That was the easiest I could get with my background.

As for practical advices: I personally always do so that my CV is only one-page length, which is now pretty difficult. Also, recruiters like CV to be precise: they want to be able to see what exactly you were doing in the job. Adding side competences like languages, Excel, or even if you enjoy writing or traveling is also nice. I personally also added some of my charity labours on it.
As for cover letter, I think the way of writing them depends on the country. I still do it the French way, wherever I apply >.<

Sounds like a cool job even though I don´t know a single thing about french
I´ve never done a CV but I do have some side competences (I suppose)...Thanks for the advice!

Nov 26, 2020 7:39 AM

Sep 2020
Atlos said:
My first job was working at factory (or processing facility as technically wasn't a factory)

Dude isn´t that the same thing? What´s the difference?

Nov 26, 2020 7:40 AM

Sep 2020
Bobby2Hands said:
Does being a paperboy count?
Because when I was 12 I would deliver news papers 6 days a week and get paid £15.
Now that I think about it I was getting ripped off.

I think it counts
You were getting ripped off hahahaha

Nov 26, 2020 7:45 AM

Sep 2020
BannedAkko said:
My first job was rather embarrassing. When I was at school we were all told to go and get work experience. We all went down to West End in London to look for jobs at fashion retailers and shops like that. Few of us got a gig. I couldn’t find anything anywhere and had nothing on my CV except for my academic achievements so far and some summer courses that I did. Nobody was interested.

In the end my mother got me a gig at the local Chinese takeaway. We were customers there for years and my mother was friends with the husband and wife that ran it. They gladly took me on. I couldn’t stand the smell of having to wash and prepare seafood. I had to take the shells off of the shrimp and I had to wash the dishes and pack the orders into containers and seal them and bag them and give them to the customers. I also had to take telephone orders when not working in the kitchen. Everyone else at school got a job that was less embarrassing or they didn’t get one at all. I don’t think of it as embarrassing now but at the time...

That´s nothing to be ashamed of and I suppose it was a valuable experience for you....But yeah sounds like not that bad of a job except for the seafood part because I hate the smell of it

Nov 26, 2020 7:46 AM

Sep 2020
Bakchos said:
My first full time job was as a bellboy at a fancy hotel for a couple of months.

Sounds like a cool experience not gonna lie

Nov 26, 2020 7:48 AM

Sep 2020
Maou_heika said:
My first full-time job was actually an internship I did during my final semester, got a letter of recommendation from the college but I had to work for free. My job was web development.

For my first full-time "job" I applied to and attended countless interviews, sometimes I didn't get called/selected other times I rejected the offer due to one reason or another (mostly due to very low salary or misleading JDs). After 8 months of searching I finally got a half-decent internship position as a Software Developer and later converted to an employee at the same place. It wasn't exactly the job I wanted but I had to take it since being unemployed for 8 months after finishing college is quite a long time and I had to start somewhere.

Well if the salary and hours were decent, I suppose that´s quite good for a first job

Nov 26, 2020 7:50 AM

Sep 2020
PepecaChan said:
Administrative assistant for a sanitation company, but it was 30h/week. My first and only 40h/week job was project planner at a construction company. Next year I'll be a High School Math teacher, which is a stable and easy to maintain job, if everything goes right.

The easiest way to get a job is to have a friend or parent in the company who can recommend you to their superiors. That's how I got all my jobs. I still had to do the interviews and all that crap but their recommendations were far more important than my curriculum or what I said in those interviews.

Those sound like very different jobs...Tht teacher one sounds like a great job apart from the math part, thanks for the advice!

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it a good idea to stay relatively anonymous online?

DesuMaiden - 1 hour ago

12 by LightWorker »»
4 minutes ago

Sticky: » General Advice Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Dec 8, 2013

9876 by Sorachin »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Apr 18

15 by Sorachin »»
53 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

654 by Hitagi__Furude »»
58 minutes ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Apr 17

47 by animegamer245 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.