Forum Settings
Forums

MAL Secret Santa 2020: Manga Edition - Sign Up!

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Dec 6, 2020 12:40 AM

Apr 2020
Min-Max length (volumes): No one-shots and chapters smaller than 20. Aside from that, any length is alright by me.

Likes (genres, demographics, themes): Horror, seinen, psychological drama. Or romance drama with a bit of SoL comedy. You can also add a bit of hentai/ecchi spice, I like it raunchy.

Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): Crazy characters and over-the-top stories, ero-guru stuff and long shounens. Idol mangas are also a no for me.

Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): No restrictions whatsoever. As long as I can read it in English and that it's available.

Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): Nope.

Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 9

Does your list include everything you've read?: No, not even near.

Link to manga list: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/raiderublaze

Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: I'll go for an Elf gift. I barely know anything about the manga spectrum.
Dec 6, 2020 1:44 AM

Aug 2019
Min-Max length: No limit
Likes: BL, Romance, Shoujo, Psychological, Comedy, Shounen and Mystery
Dislikes: Ecchi and would like to avoid Hentai
Any availability restrictions?: No
Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list?: No
Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 148
Does your list include everything you've read?: No.. webtoons and other manga I forgot to add (just BL tho)
Link to manga list: Link
Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: Gift Exchange
_fujoshiDec 6, 2020 1:47 AM
Dec 6, 2020 5:43 AM
Sep 2016
❅Min-Max length (volumes): the length doesn't matter much to me, as long as it's good.
❅Likes (genres, demographics, themes): Seinen, Josei, Coming of Age, Psychological, Dark Fantasy, BL, Dystopian, Slice of Life (like how KyoAni does theirs), Romance (healthy relationships), Wholesome, something I have to think about for a very long time after reading.
❅Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): OP MCs who only look "cool" (no character dev), Unnecessary fanservice, For BL: dubcon, noncon
❅Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): None
❅Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): No
❅Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 113
❅Does your list include everything you've read?: No. I have read BL manhwas that have yet to be on this site.
❅Link to manga list: myanimelist.net/profile/tenkousei
❅Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: Yes (Gift Exchange)
Dec 6, 2020 7:56 AM
Dec 2016
Min-Max length (volumes): Min: 4 volumes Max: open
Likes (genres, demographics, themes): Romance and Slice of Life. Mature topics or lighthearthed romcoms are both fine for me. Also I like action/fantasy.
Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): Isekai. Also i dont really like Horror. And in Romance i am not a fan of BL. its fine if a sidestory contains BL but i dont want to read a pure BL love story.
Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): nope
Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): please no. also if u could check if i watched/ plan to watch the anime (if there is one) please avoid that one too^^
Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 52 actually completed.
Does your list include everything you've read?: no i read alot ongoing stuff. with this i would be around 220-240
Link to manga list: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Airgnas
Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: Yes
Dec 6, 2020 8:42 AM

Sep 2016
Min-Max length (volumes): N/A. I will read the recommendation no matter the length. But preferably a completed manga. I already have ~70 up-to-date ongoing manga.
Likes (genres, demographics, themes): Anything listed here is not a must, but rather a guideline. It's perfectly fine if it contains none of the following, but is great to read:
Action, Adventure, Romance, Ecchi, Comedy, Fighting, Delinquents. Friendly monsters/kemono, Japanese Folklore elements, like mysteries, shrines, kitsune, etc.
I like the rural Japan setting (think of Rurouni Kenshin, Dororo, Vagabond).
Most of my reading is done at night and then I like to read something simple, sweet and wholesome like Fushigi Neko no Kyuu Chan, Sewayaki no Senko san, Ayakashi Ko, Komi San etc.
Age of the manga doesn't matter. Usually, manga before 1990 have a much better story and sometimes artwork because it was less popular back then and harder to make it as a mangaka.
Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): Horror, Isekai, Yaoi. Typical shoujo settings aren't quite my thing, but again: if you think it's good, then I will read it.
Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): No, I am happy if I can read the english version anywhere.
Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): No.
Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 219
Does your list include everything you've read?: Yes.
Link to manga list: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Thoswey
Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: Yes (Gift Exchange).
ThosweyDec 7, 2020 12:31 AM
Dec 6, 2020 9:04 AM
Aug 2018
❅ Min-Max length (volumes): No limit, at least 40-50 chapters, but I love long manga (200+ chapters)
❅ Likes (genres, demographics, themes): Delinquents, Fighting, Comedy, Sometimes Romance (Don't like school romance, generic romcoms about shy people and a lot of misunderstandings)
❅ Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): Harem, Ecchi, Classic shounen protagonist that doesn't want to hurt anyone and is focused on friendship, Sexual violence, Yaoi, Yuri, Isekai, Shitty op MC, Horror, Cute/Wholesome, too much comedy
❅ Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): No
❅ Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): Yes
❅ Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 192
❅ Does your list include everything you've read?: No (Webtoons and other manga that are not added yet)
❅ Link to manga list: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Berequeuet
❅ Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: Yes (Gift Exchange)
brqtDec 6, 2020 9:11 AM
Dec 6, 2020 4:27 PM

Sep 2018
Min-Max length (volumes): No limit. It can be an ongoing series as well, but it should be at least halfway finished, waiting is hard!

Likes (genres, demographics, themes): Seinen, Mystery, Sci-fi/Cyberpunk, Psychological, Dementia, realistic stories, adult characters, character development, morally gray stories, well-written stories, plot twists.

I think you got the idea. Other than these, I'm still open to anything if you think it's good, it doesn't have to be all gloomy like my taste would suggest. Unexpected experiences are better, not that I have much experience with manga but... Also, you can throw a manga staple as well since I'm new.

Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): Battle Shonen (like Naruto,HxH etc.), cheesy stuff, Hentai, power of friendship, weak writing, cheap plot twists like in the Berserk and that's all I guess.

Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): No.

Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): Yes, but I would prefer if it was something new to me.

Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 1

Does your list include everything you've read?: Yes :/

Link to manga list: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/SirTristram

Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: I don't think I'm knowledgable enough to recommend something, I don't want to disappoint the receiver. But I'd like to give a gift to someone as a bundle with another user. Basically, make me a side-gift if you can. Otherwise I'd prefer not to give one.
SirTristramDec 6, 2020 5:31 PM
Dec 6, 2020 5:14 PM

Nov 2013
Min-Max length (volumes): 1 - 15 volumes. Has to be finished/completed. If it's ongoing then RIP, i'll probably be dead in 5 years i ain't got time for that.
Likes (genres, demographics, themes): good focus on developing characters/coming of age, expressive/bold art, like the manga to really make an attempt of something. like characters outside of highschool age too where possible.
Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): don't care for moe, ecchi, comedy or anything related to video games or harems.
Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): nah if it's out there i'll hunt it down like a tiger
Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): sure
Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 88
Does your list include everything you've read?: no, but there's only like about 5 more i forgot to put on there so not missing much anyway
Link to manga list: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Sad
Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: gift exchange
SadDec 6, 2020 5:17 PM
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 6, 2020 5:47 PM
May 2020
You don't need to worry about fitting all the requirements.
Min-Max length (volumes): Avoid super huuuuuuge mangas. A 150 or less >chapters< manga sounds good. If you recommend me a bigger work... there's no problem, I'm also ok with it. In addition, I don't care if the manga is ongoing or not and I've also been searching for one shots recently.
Likes (genres, demographics, themes): I'm willing to read more varied mangas. Is there some work you love and want to share? I would like to read it, whatever the genre. Surprise me :D.
If you really don't know what to recommend me: slice of life, sci-fi, fantasy, "political", romance, comedy, thriller and contemplative mangas and unexpected themes easily get my attention.
Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): I'm especially avoiding to read more battle shonens, I get bored/exhausted easily reading it.
Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): Is this manga available in English (or Portuguese)? Yes? No other restrictions, then.
Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): Yes.
Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 5.
Does your list include everything you've read?: Almost everything.
Link to manga list: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/CarlosHenrq
Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: I want to create a gift for another user, but I have only 5 mangas (or 10, counting my reading entries) in my anime list, so I'm ok if I receive a Elf Gift instead.
CarlosHenrqDec 6, 2020 6:04 PM
Dec 6, 2020 7:09 PM

Oct 2008
Min-Max length (volumes): No concrete limit here. I'm a real manga noob, so up to you. I mean.. please don't recommend something like One Piece. I want to finish it at some point in my life. My favorite ones had around 100 chapters. I don't want a really short manga, but not infinite.

Likes (genres, demographics, themes): I came to the conclusion that I don't really like action manga - I just think these are much better animated. I started reading the AoT manga but the drawings were so bad that I kinda gave up on it. A good/unique drawing style is a must for me. For example, I think the drawings from the FMA manga are much richer than how they animated the characters, so I like it seeing the mangaka's dedication (not like the sloppy initial chapters of AoT, gross). I basically read manga for shoujo/romance. Any story that slowly builds and is better enjoyed in the form of a manga, that I can savor at my own pace. Other than that, I love suspense and dystopian/stories set in alternate universes sound appealing to me as well.

Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): Action. Unless it's really good, most of the times I can't tell what's going on (like in AoT where lines and textures are all over the place).

Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): Nope. I will read it online.

Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): I barely have anything there, so sure! It'll get me to reading it, probably.

Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 9, I'm a manga noob

Does your list include everything you've read?: No, I've read parts of other mangas but I didn't bother to add them here; they weren't that many, though.

Link to manga list:

https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/TutuWhiteSwan

Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: Elf Gift! I don't have enough manga knowledge to share with someone D: If you'd like, hit me up for anime after the event, though! With that I'm confident.
Dec 6, 2020 7:32 PM
Aug 2020
❅ Min-Max length (volumes): Any length is fine I am willing to read any lengths.
❅ Likes (genres, demographics, themes): I like action packed ones, isekai, horror, stuff lik ethat.
❅ Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): I dont really dislike anything except for when the mc is super op or when they build a harem easily from every person they meet.
❅ Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): None
❅ Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): Dont have one
❅ Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 1 (Deadman Wonderland)
❅ Does your list include everything you've read?: Thats the only one
❅ Link to manga list: Dont have one
❅ Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: Elf because I haven't read any manga except for one so I wouldn't even know where to start looking.
Dec 6, 2020 7:39 PM
Jun 2017
Min-Max length (volumes): Tbh, any length will do, I've been really really stressed with covid and school. No min, no max all good.
Likes (genres, demographics, themes): idk really, nice art is good, check my anime list for this, but im not against reading like shounen stuff like HxH and stuff like that cause i feel like they are just better in manga form.
Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): Bad graphics? idk im pretty new to manga
Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): o can it be easily accessble online or on an app quick easy and convienient
Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): yeee for sure
Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 5?
Does your list include everything you've read?: yep
Link to manga list: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/UnDream?
Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: yes for sure
Dec 6, 2020 7:46 PM
Feb 2010
Min-Max length (volumes): I don't really care about the lenght. Anything is fine
❅ Likes (genres, demographics, themes): What I most enjoy now is a profound, thrilling, interesting manga with deep characters above all. Could be a slice of life/drama, could be a seinen, could have sci-fi/fantasy stuff or not but it has to surprise me and make me care about the characters. (i'm really into Inio Asano now and thriller stuff like Monster, Summer Time Rendering or Shingeki)
❅ Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): I don't want a thypical shonen or shoujo. Nor Comedy. Nor Isekai. I don't enjoy WAR or violent stuff, for real, like Berserck, vinland saga, kingdom, it's make me feel real bad so please don't.
❅ Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): not really
❅ Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): No
❅ Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 44
❅ Does your list include everything you've read?: Yes
❅ Link to manga list: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Nicogrego
❅ Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: I will create a gift for another user
Dec 6, 2020 7:50 PM

Jan 2019
Min-Max length (volumes): I’d prefer the series to be 20 volumes or shorter.
Likes (genres, demographics, themes): Mystery, thriller, action, cyberpunk, death game, battle royale, urban fantasy, good husbandos, ensemble casts, and nice artwork.
Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): Slice of life, romance, traditional sports series, ecchi, hentai, anything with an annoying MC, and anything with distractingly bad art. Also, I’d prefer the manga to be something less popular, and not a really popular series, but if you’re really struggling, you may pick something popular. Also, I’d prefer manga that I haven’t watched or started watching the anime adaptations of, unless there are significant differences in plot.
Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): As long as I can read it in English somewhere, it’s fine.
Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): Preferably not, but if you’re struggling, then you can pick one from there.
Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 74.
Link to manga list: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Penguinfangirl?status=7
Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: I’d like to make someone else a gift, but I know I don’t have a crazy amount of completed manga, so I’m fine just receiving a gift.

PenguinfangirlDec 7, 2020 4:46 AM
Dec 6, 2020 9:36 PM
Sep 2015
❅ Min-Max length (volumes):
No min or max, as long as they're not newly ongoing, discontinued, or on hiatus, I don't mind. The longer the better in my opinion!

❅ Likes (genres, demographics, themes):
Comedy and psychological are my usual go-to! I'm really wanting to read more samurai manga, or at least fighting with swords. Dark and twisted manga are another favorite. I love Junji Ito but I want to hopefully either read more of his works or similar horror. I'm totally fine with trashy ecchi. My favorite manga is Dorohedoro because of the insane art, dark themes, and having funny found family dynamics. If you know anything similar chances are I'll love it. A great MC is important! I like MCs who are unique, chaotic, and fun rather than bland and predictable. If you have any good BL/Gl please send them all my way. I'd love to read some mystery, I've barely read any. Lastly, mature and gorey manga is another preference.

❅ Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): *
Please no magical girls or mecha. I'd rather not have anything from the top 100, at most 1 or 2. I NEED STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS PLEASE NO WEAK PUSHOVERS THAT NEED CONSTANT SAVING AND ARE A PLOT DEVICE. I'm trying to discover more genres that are mature (like seinen) so try not to include a lot of shounen. Lastly, I'm okay with ongoing manga, just don't recommend ones that are on hiatus or discontinued.

❅ Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): Anything works, I'll find a way to read it haha.

❅ Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No):
Maybe one or two if you think I'd really like it.

❅ Number of Completed entries on your manga list:

❅ Does your list include everything you've read?:
Yes, well everything but most webtoons, manhwa, and manhua.

❅ Link to manga list:
https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Amayaladon

❅ Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?:
I 100% want to create a gift for another user.
Dec 7, 2020 9:29 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Min-Max length (volumes): None.
Likes (genres, demographics, themes): Fantasy + action/adventure + shoujo = <3 Romcom and josei as well, but not nonsensical and plain. I also really like non-BL subtext shoujo/josei manga from a male's perspective (e.g. Mens_Kou) and shounen/seinen series that straddle the line between the two female/male demographics in actuality (e.g. many of GFantasy's original titles). Anything 8+ on my lists, I really enjoyed (though some I read 10 years ago and never re-scored so don't judge :'D). Favourites are all recent reads.
PS. I need to read more manga this year, so feel free to dump some side recs with minimal explanation along with your main rec! >:D
Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): Horror; yaoi/yuri/shounen ai/shoujo ai.
Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): Preferably completed. Recently I've been reading manga in Japanese on Hakusensha's Manga Park app, so feel free to recommend me any Hana to Yume/LaLa titles that might not be available in English.
Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No): No.
Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 403
Link to manga list: Click Me!
Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)?: Gift Exchange

Thread Locked.
Dec 9, 2020 9:29 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Post for grilmd_cheez.

❅Min-Max length (volumes): any length
❅Likes (genres, demographics, themes): I like anything if the story and characters are interesting
❅Dislikes (genres, demographics, themes): I’m open to anything
❅Any availability restrictions? (e.g. must have printed/physical copies): none
❅Can the recommendation be on your Plan to Read list? (Yes or No):no
❅Number of Completed entries on your manga list: 17
❅Does your list include everything you've read?: yes
❅Link to manga list: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/grilmd_cheez
❅Will you create a gift for another user (Gift Exchange) or do you only want to receive (Elf Gift)? Gift exchange
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Nominations

Nate - Apr 1

7 by Nate »»
Yesterday, 11:52 AM

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (April 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

7 by _Ayase »»
Yesterday, 10:49 AM

» Best Profile Design (March 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

8 by Dyianaros »»
Apr 4, 4:58 PM

» FAL ace rule clarification

okthxbb - Apr 1

0 by okthxbb »»
Apr 1, 5:18 PM

» | CLOSED | Best Profile Design (March 2024) VOTING

KarenShirotori - Mar 20

24 by Roxana- »»
Mar 29, 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.