Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2020 7:44 PM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ahhhhh San Lang is here! San Lang is here! San Lang is here! And he's gorgeous! I'm so glad they at least got a bit of conversation in there, was so worried he'd show up for like one second then it goes to the credits LOL

And he'll pretty much be in all the episodes now yesss.

XealiasNov 13, 2020 9:17 PM
Nov 13, 2020 7:53 PM
Aug 2019
Yesss!!!! OX scene was beautiful!! I also love the tale of the 4 devastation!!!! And also the tale of how Hua Cheng kicked the 33 officials out. Ling Wen's tired face, I can so relate. With those scrolls just sitting around and much larger than the ladders available. Give her a break. Hahaha
Nov 13, 2020 7:56 PM

May 2017
Ahhhhhh that was good....why they ended it at the ox cart scene TT__TT i need more of san lang.......now we need to wait for another week...the wait..*sigh*...;;
Nov 13, 2020 8:10 PM
Nov 2020
Other than Ox cart and San Lang scene, can we also appreciate how this episode beautifully expressed XieLian's humble life in Mortal Realm? My heart hurts so much 😭😭😭 especially when he read the scroll of ascension about himself. 😭😭😭
Nov 13, 2020 9:03 PM

Aug 2015
OMG that OX cart scene, the leaves and scenery , the colors, the art, the music and the feels so beautiful....

another masterpiece ep, solely stick to the novel so far, I really love it.
Nov 13, 2020 9:30 PM

Jan 2020
The Puqi Shrine looks a lot better than in my own imagination. I was picturing an extremely run down place, but it doesn't look so bad in the animation. Xie Lian ought to be proud. XD

Also, how do you guys feel about Hua Cheng's voice? I adored Xie Lian's instantly, but I am uncertain of Hua Cheng's at the moment. It'll most likely grow on me though.
Nov 13, 2020 11:03 PM
Nov 2020
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA SHHSHSHSBSJSN
WE'RE GONNA GET MORE HUALIAN CONTENT SOON YASSSSSSSSS
AND THE ART DAMN THEY MADE SAN LANG SO HOT THO
AND I LOVE HIS VA
Nov 13, 2020 11:56 PM
May 2017
I thought for sure they were going to continue to tease us with a puff of air from San Lang as they ended the episode like they did in the second PV :’) I will take any and all crumbs they throw my way~

Also, this may be the last time we see a normal ponytail on San Lang... cherish(?) it
Nov 14, 2020 12:57 AM

Oct 2012
I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the villagers accurately use male pronouns for Ling Wen

You can tell the translation team read the full novel and know EXACTLY what they're doing
🌊 Read Umineko & Higurashi ⛩
Nov 14, 2020 1:15 AM

Jan 2016
IM ASCENDED because of four calamities + oxcart scene, also QIRONG JSSJSJSSSJ
Nov 14, 2020 1:27 AM

Oct 2012
LadyYuina said:

Also, how do you guys feel about
I adored Xie Lian's instantly, but I am uncertain of
at the moment. It'll most likely grow on me though.

If I'm remembering correctly, there was a whole debacle on the chinese side of the fandom regarding

When the VA was interviewed about it, he said something along the lines of "making SL's voice sound like he has the vocal cords of a teenager",
K2xSERNov 14, 2020 1:34 AM
Nov 14, 2020 6:18 AM
Dec 2019
You know, I always wondered why people would sometimes describe men as beautiful when the term 'beautiful' is mostly used to described women. I was confused, baffled, and puzzled why people do that. I was, until I watched this episode. After watching this episode, I was confused, baffled, and puzzled not at why people occasionally describe men as beautiful but rather, at the fact that male characters could become this beautiful.

Btw, I'm just really afraid and anxious that I might have offended someone/something with this comment so if there was, I'm deeply sorry. I didn't mean any harm.
yo
Nov 14, 2020 7:23 AM

Dec 2016
Dear gods, if this wasn't one of the most beautiful animated episodes I've watched, I don't know what it was. There were so many fine frames and the clear expressions even on the bg characters.
I'm really enjoying the character of Ling Wen, she seems really fun. I'm gonna guess that maybe the two generals had something to do with Xie Lian's debt lift (no spoilers plz). I'm also wondering who would turn out to be a Judas, I have some guesses here too.
Oooh I wonder who the new lad is. He looks almost ready to marry someone XD

I'm barely keeping myself together not to just dive into the novel myself, but I know from previous experience (MDZS) that it's a bad idea with exams coming up. Maybe I'll just read the manhua instead
Nov 14, 2020 11:35 AM
Jan 2014
Mici_Angels said:
Dear gods, if this wasn't one of the most beautiful animated episodes I've watched, I don't know what it was. There were so many fine frames and the clear expressions even on the bg characters.
I'm really enjoying the character of Ling Wen, she seems really fun. I'm gonna guess that maybe the two generals had something to do with Xie Lian's debt lift (no spoilers plz). I'm also wondering who would turn out to be a Judas, I have some guesses here too.
Oooh I wonder who the new lad is. He looks almost ready to marry someone XD

I'm barely keeping myself together not to just dive into the novel myself, but I know from previous experience (MDZS) that it's a bad idea with exams coming up. Maybe I'll just read the manhua instead

Aww good luck and study for your exams!!!! The manhua and novel will always be there waiting for you! After finishing the novel a few weeks before episode one aired, all I can think about is tgcf XDD my head is entirely in the clouds... .... and my exams start this coming Monday haha...
Nov 14, 2020 11:36 AM
Jan 2014
Episode_12 said:
You know, I always wondered why people would sometimes describe men as beautiful when the term 'beautiful' is mostly used to described women. I was confused, baffled, and puzzled why people do that. I was, until I watched this episode. After watching this episode, I was confused, baffled, and puzzled not at why people occasionally describe men as beautiful but rather, at the fact that male characters could become this beautiful.

Btw, I'm just really afraid and anxious that I might have offended someone/something with this comment so if there was, I'm deeply sorry. I didn't mean any harm.

I think it's a beautiful realization.
Nov 14, 2020 11:40 AM
Jan 2014
I want to talk about the end of the episode. I loved the scene so much. The maple leaves connote longing and reminiscence of the past... It was a beautiful episode.
Nov 14, 2020 11:41 AM

Nov 2019
Oh, so we're just going to pretend we didn't see all those lip sync inconsistencies huh..
Nov 14, 2020 6:01 PM

Jun 2019
A little bit of world building and establishing the 4 big “baddies” (including the other lead). The art is still top-notch, but I need to see more from the characters before I can really get into it.
Nov 14, 2020 7:49 PM

Jun 2011
I enjoyed getting a glimpse of the Four Great Calamities and I'm glad finally to get a little interaction between Xie Lian and San Lang. At first I was a bit put off by his voice, but then I realized that it must be modified for now, and we'll get the real voice later on (obviously).

The one thing that kind of annoyed me is that scenes and dialogue are stretched too long. For example, in the conversation between Xie Lian and San Lang in the last scene, there are really long pauses between lines that feel unnatural. The way it is executed - with uninterrupted background sounds and movements - I don't get the sense that the moment is being 'paused' for dramatic effect (even though I guess that's the case). It feels more like it really is taking that long for the characters to respond to each other so it seems very awkward to me. It's a minor nitpick, though. Still another enjoyable episode - but I'll be glad when the story really gets moving.
Nov 14, 2020 9:44 PM

Jun 2017
I'm in love!

everything about the episode was perfect! luckily from now on we're gonna have SL in every ep!
Nov 14, 2020 10:27 PM

Aug 2015
Oh dear that episode was almost entirely exposition. Those official's names mentioned will be impossible for any newcomers to follow or remember. Half an episode is too much time spent standing in that chamber.

He's here!!! He's finally here T.T
Nov 15, 2020 11:32 AM

Nov 2019
ilalochezia said:
this_shit_again said:
Oh, so we're just going to pretend we didn't see all those lip sync inconsistencies huh..

There probably was but I didn't notice it, as it was overshadowed by the sheer artistry expressed

It was very noticeable for me, to the point where I wondered whether my video was out of sync..

Several instances where a character's mouth was moving while they weren't even uttering anything. Where they were talking but the mouth was still at neutral. And is it just me or are they skimping out on mouth shapes..

Mod Note: Removed response to deleted post
dipItFooNov 16, 2020 7:20 PM
Nov 15, 2020 7:27 PM

Aug 2015
and... now unrelated to ep 4 discussion moving here.... once again i feel bad for moderators, he/she already locked threads about score/unrelated to topic discussion...

about main character

Most of interesting thing happened in the past arc. That's why maybe you found Xie Lian is boring character (from me Xie Lian is just realistic human with emotions, who already feel the hardship for 800 years and grown up)

about San Lang voice:
I feel okay about it, i really enjoyed this ep, so heartwarming and a lil bit sad.

Pardon if my English bad, and maybe very mild spoiler (but i don't think this is spoiler tho)
Nov 16, 2020 1:04 PM
Aug 2019
I am excited for Black Sinking Water! All the 4 Devastation have great art. Now I just want to see the other 4 tales. Hehehe.. Anyway, so if we count the episodes, 5 to 6 will be ox cart scene and the rest will be the banyue arc!! Two of my most favs will be there.
Nov 16, 2020 2:09 PM
Oct 2020
I WAS KIND OF SCARED FOR HCs REVEAL BC THE OFFICIAL ART MADE HIS HEAD KIND OF WONKY SOMETIMES TO ME BUT I WAS SCARED FOR NOTHING HE LOOKS SO BEAUTIFUL I CANT BREATH.. I WANT TO SEE MORE OF HIM PLEAS E
Nov 16, 2020 7:32 PM
Community Mod
Aug 2019
Thread Cleaned.

Please refrain from having topics that extend or aren't relevant to the episode itself as this is an "episode discussion". Many users were discussing the actual MAL score itself instead of the episode.

You are allowed to give a score that you felt accurately reflected your impressions of the episode, but please refrain from discussion of the actual MAL score itself.

In addition to this please respect your fellow users, violations will be weighed accordingly.

In accordance with the board specific rules please remember to follow the Site Guidelines as well to further prevent violations.
Nov 16, 2020 9:03 PM
Nov 2020
Episode_12 said:

No. You're right and didn't offend anyone. Hualian is very beautiful 😭. There's also a whole genre of anime called "bishonen" which translates to "beautiful boys", and most shojo anime use this trope.
Nov 16, 2020 9:14 PM
Nov 2020
I do kinda feel bad for people who haven't read the novel, it feels like there isn't much space to deduce things yourself because its going really fast. But eh, everything is fine to me so far. I love how they genderswapped the three people asking Xie Lan about the puqi shrine. I literally spat out my drink when one of them said "dick yang".
Nov 17, 2020 12:33 AM

Jul 2009
This episode was more story heavy with some things getting explained about the world, which is good.

Hua Chengs VA is different in this Form than in his original Form, or am I wrong?
We heard his voice at the end of the trailer back then and it sounded different, more mature. Just wondering if I heard right or just trippin.

Also can we just appreciate the atmosphere when these two met? I could practically FEEL two souls being reunited after centuries!
Nov 17, 2020 3:59 AM
Nov 2020
this production impressed me. my eyes are catched
Nov 17, 2020 4:40 AM
Jul 2020
Okay so I saw Qi Rong(even tho only the half of his face was shown). AND I SHRIEKEEEDDDD AAAAAAHHHH OMYYYGODDD HE LOOK SO HANDSOMEE AND EVILL!! HOW IS THIS LEGAL!? IM SO EXCITEDDD. I LOVE AND HATE HIM SO MUCH!
Nov 17, 2020 5:30 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Gosh, you people in this thread just totally confused me. I was like, who is this San Lang person?! But I looked it up and that's just another name for Hua Cheng. The names are difficult to get a grasp of for someone that hasn't read the novels.

Anyway, still really loving this anime. It's just so damn beautiful to look at. I'm following the story like 90% I'd say. Hoping that things will be clearer as we go through the series. My only gripe is with the subtitles...I know it's not the fault of the show but they are really small, really hard to read, have several mistakes and disappear so quickly that it makes it difficult to follow. I had to skip back at least twice this episode.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Nov 17, 2020 6:14 PM

Oct 2012
horridhendy said:
My only gripe is with the subtitles...I know it's not the fault of the show but they are really small, really hard to read, have several mistakes and disappear so quickly that it makes it difficult to follow. I had to skip back at least twice this episode.

This was already mentioned in the other thread, but funimation fixed this issue. If you select the Mandarin Chinese language option you can get funi's regular soft subs, instead of the hardcoded ones.
Nov 17, 2020 9:10 PM

Jan 2020
Vedrun said:
This episode was more story heavy with some things getting explained about the world, which is good.

Hua Chengs VA is different in this Form than in his original Form, or am I wrong?
We heard his voice at the end of the trailer back then and it sounded different, more mature. Just wondering if I heard right or just trippin.

Also can we just appreciate the atmosphere when these two met? I could practically FEEL two souls being reunited after centuries!

No, you're right and...wrong? lol

It sounds different but is done by the same actor. While voicing as San Lang, he wanted to make him sound more youthful.
Nov 23, 2020 2:28 PM

Jun 2011
horridhendy said:
Gosh, you people in this thread just totally confused me. I was like, who is this San Lang person?! But I looked it up and that's just another name for Hua Cheng. The names are difficult to get a grasp of for someone that hasn't read the novels.

Haha, sorry. I'm going with San Lang for now in an attempt to (technically) avoid spoilers, even though it really should be pretty easy to connect the dots.
Apr 15, 2021 6:23 AM

Jan 2013
That CGI was so awful. Overlord-tier or lower. ᗒᗣᗕ
Jul 28, 2021 9:35 PM
Jul 2020
fukujun as san lang really nailed it. the ox cart scene was beautiful af i love it.
Apr 27, 2022 4:23 AM

Mar 2010
Guess netflix got different episodes? Seems the spoilers for me were there as now i did see the kiss and the death..
So i wont be visiting the discussions no more to avoid more spoilers..

Sad story of general :( tho i dont see how guilt tripping someone to stay with you is love, so it was never meant to be…
Jul 26, 2022 3:23 PM

Dec 2016
I love how everyone is scared of Hua Cheng's butterflies but to Xie Lian they looked cute. ♥ xD
Jan 1, 2023 7:39 PM
Jan 2018
exciting second meet with hua cheng!
May 3, 2023 5:46 AM
Jan 2020
Lyallen said:
Other than Ox cart and San Lang scene, can we also appreciate how this episode beautifully expressed XieLian's humble life in Mortal Realm? My heart hurts so much 😭😭😭 especially when he read the scroll of ascension about himself. 😭😭😭
Lol, poor guy had to build his own temple
Jul 12, 2023 6:07 PM
Jun 2023
We finally got to see Hua Cheng

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tian Guan Ci Fu Episode 8 Discussion

Xealias - Dec 11, 2020

25 by Karva1 »»
Apr 9, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Tian Guan Ci Fu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xealias - Oct 30, 2020

140 by Karva1 »»
Apr 6, 10:13 PM

Poll: » Tian Guan Ci Fu Episode 11 Discussion

Xealias - Jan 1, 2021

31 by BladeRunnerAri »»
Feb 6, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Tian Guan Ci Fu Episode 9 Discussion

livexevil - Dec 19, 2020

34 by ProudtobeMAD »»
Jan 26, 11:43 AM

» Anyone watch the Japanese version?

Mishiia - Jan 23

4 by Mishiia »»
Jan 24, 10:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.