Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Nov 13, 2020 2:30 PM
So the initial sketch and reoccurring theme is that the girl is supposed to be tall... with 172cm... I dont see how thats supposed to work considering thats only 12 cm above average Japanese women height...
Also in some countrys (especially in northern Europe) thats the AVERAGE height for women....
Wouldnt it be more effective to make her taller instead like 185 or 190? Because many people I know (myself included) would call her small considering shes only 172cm
And the show portrays her like this giant being which I find baffling.
Hell even an urban japanese legend about hasshaku-sama did it right and gave her 240 cm (about 8 feet).
I wonder why they are so set on 172 anyone any idea?
ImO 8 feet is a bit over the top for a romantic comedy but I would have expected at least 185cm and that would have also worked better (whats the point of having tall girl while half the audience thinks shes average height)

Nov 29, 2020 2:20 PM

I've not seen this anime but I can quickly comment on this.

12cm = around 5 inches.

Japan's average male height is 160cm (5'2.5), which makes the main guy 1.5 inches shorter. That doesn't sound like much but as someone below average height, it SUCKS.

Japan's average female height is 148cm (4'8.5), which makes the main girl 10 whole inches taller.

Your research was not only wrong but in addition to that, anime isn't made for the west, it's made for the Japanese anime fanbase. That's why it's perfectly reasonable - in the original context, it's fine.
my life was made with mematic.

Dec 3, 2020 8:36 AM
Dude. You stupid or something?

She's an asian. The main focus was in Japan. The audience was intended for the Japanese people. Of course 172cm would be very tall for an asian woman. What average height? What Europe? A quick google would debunk your 'research' easily. 'Average height for japanese woman' and press enter. 148cm. Easy.
Modified by Saikouuu7, Dec 3, 2020 8:41 AM

Dec 26, 2020 9:34 PM

and add to all above - she's still growing girl

Jan 10, 8:29 AM
ag_ said:

12cm = around 5 inches.

Japan's average male height is 160cm (5'2.5), which makes the main guy 1.5 inches shorter. That doesn't sound like much but as someone below average height, it SUCKS.

Japan's average female height is 148cm (4'8.5), which makes the main girl 10 whole inches taller.

Your research was not only wrong but in addition to that, anime isn't made for the west, it's made for the Japanese anime fanbase. That's why it's perfectly reasonable - in the original context, it's fine.

Exept the average hight for Japanese male is 173 cm which makes her smaller and average female hight 156cm which makes her a little big bigger.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_human_height_by_country
That said my point stands even for an asian country shes not that big.
An anime which did that right imo was ore monogatari where the huge male lead was 2m big and main girl I think 150ish cm.
Now I think 200cm for this shows female protagonist would be too much but at least give her 190cm because otherwise all the struggles big people have are non existent for her.

Jan 10, 8:39 AM

Opor97 said:
ag_ said:

12cm = around 5 inches.

Exept the average hight for Japanese male is 173 cm which makes her smaller and average female hight 156cm which makes her a little big bigger.
An anime which did that right imo was ore monogatari where the huge male lead was 2m big and main girl I think 150ish cm.
Now I think 200cm for this shows female protagonist would be too much but at least give her 190cm because otherwise all the struggles big people have are non existent for her.

That was measured in 2005...
my life was made with mematic.

Jan 10, 9:57 AM
ag_ said:
Opor97 said:

That was measured in 2005...

Yeah the study is from 2005/2007
And the anime is from 2007, the source material propably from around 2004 so the study fits the timeframe better than a modern study