Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 13, 2020 9:09 AM
Dec 2018
I had high hopes for this studio as it's founded by Masao Maruyama and him apparently saying that this is his dream studio and he's gonna give Anime adaptations for all of his beloved manga only increased my expectations.
But so far nothing great came out of this studio. Onihei had subpar animation and it was carried by it's story. Pluto looks great based on that 10 second leak but we don't even know if the anime's still happening.

Anyone know why this studio's done nothing these past few years?
Nov 13, 2020 9:28 AM
Dec 2018
So, Technically MAPPA did Onihei?
Nov 15, 2020 12:49 PM

Oct 2017
DeadlyDY said:
I had high hopes for this studio as it's founded by Masao Maruyama and him apparently saying that this is his dream studio and he's gonna give Anime adaptations for all of his beloved manga only increased my expectations.
But so far nothing great came out of this studio. Onihei had subpar animation and it was carried by it's story. Pluto looks great based on that 10 second leak but we don't even know if the anime's still happening.

Listed in another thread but Urasawa says he is working on an anime which likely is Pluto. So at least we know it is happening for now at least.
Dec 17, 2020 8:19 AM

Nov 2015
this studio is the new mappa
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 3, 2021 11:48 PM
May 2020
Ikr... I don't understand why Maruyama wouldn't just made it with MAPPA, Cause not only they have more experience & great animators but also a very trustworthy reputation in the anime industry.

Also MAPPA having more established fans & more popularity as an anime studio, that can certainly give Pluto more exposure and give the adaptation more hype... Cause im gonna be honest with you i haven't seen a single news about this adaptation from other popular outlet.
tha_grimmerJan 3, 2021 11:51 PM
Jan 4, 2021 10:53 AM
Mar 2020
Sxvory said:
Ikr... I don't understand why Maruyama wouldn't just made it with MAPPA, Cause not only they have more experience & great animators but also a very trustworthy reputation in the anime industry.

Also MAPPA having more established fans & more popularity as an anime studio, that can certainly give Pluto more exposure and give the adaptation more hype... Cause im gonna be honest with you i haven't seen a single news about this adaptation from other popular outlet.
Why would Mappa bother with it in the first place !! They already got a ton of work in their hands. Adapting manga isn't as simple as picking up a studio of your choice and getting it adapted
Jan 8, 2021 8:50 PM
May 2020
RefreshNerves said:
Sxvory said:

Why would Mappa bother with it in the first place !! They already got a ton of work in their hands. Adapting manga isn't as simple as picking up a studio of your choice and getting it adapted

Im not saying that for right now...

What im saying is this project was supposedly started in 2015, Maruyama made another studio because he thinks MAPPA wasn't successful enough, but at the end of the day Studio M2 was still getting help and was outsourcing most of their anime to MAPPA... which didn't make any sense to me.

And i still don't understand why he thinks MAPPA wasn't successful enough... eventhough at that time they have series like Terror in Resonance & Garo the animation which was a pretty big hit especially Terror in Resonance.

and guess what... now Maruyama (the guy who made Studio M2) is supposedly busy with other projects, and ended up abandoning the studio, And ever since that news the "Pluto anime adaptation project" hasn't seen any news yet.
Feb 5, 2021 11:35 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
Just wanna clarify that Onihei was outsourced to TMS, not MAPPA like some people said earlier, not to mention it was a TV anime and not an OVA
So the quality of it probably won't reflect that of Pluto's (if it ever comes out at this rate lol)
Feb 12, 2021 10:06 PM
Feb 2020
Masao seems to be a pretty spotty producer, abandoning ship as soon as things aren't to his liking instead of fixing the problem. He left madhouse because they grew stagnant and left Mappa during its golden years to make a studio that has yet to do anything worthwhile. Pluto better excel or I don't see studio M2 lasting for long.
Mar 20, 2021 1:31 PM
Apr 2016
DeadlyDY said:

I hope to hell VagaBond is next on the list. Then a proper adaptation of Berserk. Hell, I'd love to see Gantz done proper even tho it totally goes insane later on.. But to see that insanity animated would be pretty great hahaha (lets just forgoe the vampires and what not, to dive deep into aliens eating the human race.. I didnt even like the end so it'd be a great chance to fix it too)
Apr 21, 2021 2:35 PM

Jun 2014
Sxvory said:

What im saying is this project was supposedly started in 2015, Maruyama made another studio because he thinks MAPPA wasn't successful enough, but at the end of the day Studio M2 was still getting help and was outsourcing most of their anime to MAPPA... which didn't make any sense to me.
And i still don't understand why he thinks MAPPA wasn't successful enough... .

Maruyama left MAPPA because of the increasingly corporate atmosphere and loss of creative control, not at all because he thought it wasn't a successful studio.

Apr 21, 2021 2:37 PM

Jan 2020
The studio better do good and not be a disappointment

Apr 22, 2021 11:35 PM
Nov 2019
Basically this 👇
https://youtu.be/7guCSs-gQs4
Apr 22, 2021 11:39 PM
Nov 2019
Masao Maruyama focuses more on the creativity and artist's freedom+choice instead of adaptatig too many business focused popular manga. It's a double edge sword. You can't blame the guy fully at the same time can't support him fully.
May 22, 2021 12:48 AM
Oct 2018
Seeing so many people saying that Maruyama left MAPPA because it wasn't successful enough is the saddest thing ever. He founded MAPPA to make interesting and original anime where directors would get as much creative freedom as they wanted but sadly the studio became nothing but a cash grabbing machine, and that's why he left the studio. Something similar happened with Madhouse too.
Jun 8, 2021 8:49 PM
Nov 2019
Sxvory said:

Here's the reason, and sorry it's late.

He hated what Mappa has become. Where it's always about money, and how Mappa had no control over the schedule.

If they were under Mappa, sure, it would be done really quickly, but their studio would be overworked. Masao Maruyama has chimed in and said that dozens of talented animators are being burned out too early, and that's the major issue with the anime industry today.

Mappa used to be like madhouse. A place where people could do what they wanted. But the producer, Manobu Ootsuka, basically overwhelmed the studio with so much work, corrupting the ideals it was founded upon. Over 6 different anime were made by studio Mappa that year, 2017, when Maruyama founded M2 studio. Now, even during the pandemic, they did nine. That's the problem. Even when they had the most issues with production, instead of decreasing it, and giving their animators more time to rest, before giving them more work, Manobu Ootsuka increased their load, because he knew that anime would become more prevalent in the coming months with the pandemic. Yoichiro Hayashi had to do a second show, in the same year, and finish Attack on titan the final season, despite the huge amount of death threats over his head. Junghoo park also just finished with the release of God of High school, and was working on two different shows concurrently, as well as helping out Yoichiro Hayashi with the rotoscoping. They had way too much work piled onto them, without them being able to do anything they wanted.

Honestly, I'll wait for it, as long as it takes. It'll be amazing, and I know the animators will either get the sleep or pay they need. So I'll be fine waiting for 2 years, even.
Jun 30, 2021 10:46 AM
Jan 2016
DyceAverruncus said:
Masao seems to be a pretty spotty producer, abandoning ship as soon as things aren't to his liking instead of fixing the problem. He left madhouse because they grew stagnant and left Mappa during its golden years to make a studio that has yet to do anything worthwhile. Pluto better excel or I don't see studio M2 lasting for long.

It's unlikely Maruyama left Madhouse because they "grew stagnant", just look at the dates.
Madhouse went bankrupt due to the resounding failure of Redline, an error attributed to Takeshi Koike (fired) and Maruyama, in addition to the fact that Incubator Bank went bankrupt, soon after Nippon TV buys the Madhouse studio and turns it into a subsidiary , having 95% of the shares and Sony the remaining 5%, in addition to replacing Maruyama with another president, from that point all the creatives left by their side, some founded studios such as Chizu, Science Saru or went to other studios as Production IG, Maruyama for her part founded a studio in which to try to have creative freedom again for projects. Most likely, he left Mappa because he lost his freedom.
Jul 15, 2021 11:20 PM
Jul 2021
He left Madhouse and Mappa because they grew and he lost creative control. When they make him put his passion projects aside he leaves. He said that making Pluto an anime is the thing he must do before dying and mappa investors and execs probably said no. He doesn’t like doing 8 shows at once he had Mappa working only on Hajime no ippo for an entire year because he wanted it to be faithful. He wants to devote himself to Pluto and that is likely the reason this studio exists.
Jul 15, 2021 11:44 PM

Jul 2020
Well,an upcoming adaptation of Pluto looks promising.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 3, 2022 7:02 PM

Dec 2019
Sxvory said:

Because Murayama hates that Mappa became the very thing he left behind at Madhouse. It makes sense why he doesn't want anything to do with the studio anymore.
Jan 20, 2022 11:30 PM
Jan 2021
Even Arcane came out after 6 years what the actual hell are they doing in that stuido?!
Mar 3, 2022 10:09 PM

Oct 2021
He said that he want to make pluto into a faithful anime before dying(even he said that anime will be in work even after his death) that's a huge statement so i believe this anime is most likely to be released and isn't abandoned.
May 2, 2022 10:46 AM
Jul 2021
1) Masao Maruyama founded Madhouse with his friends to make a place to create passion project. But after he left the studio, every talent left and founded their own studios or joined other prestigious company. As for Maruyama, he founded a brand new studio, MAPPA. The workflow was pretty decent(at about 1 and 2/3 projects per year) and thus the quality of the animation was god-tier: Kids on the Slope, Terror in Resonance, In This Corner of the World, Ushio and Tora, Rage of Bahamut. We could totally feel that these anime weren't rushed and so every part(animation, sound, art, character design, OST, OP, ED, drawing, story, VFX) were handled carefully. But after the studio's corruption, it was no longer fun. The studio begun to handle 6-8 projects in a year.
2) So Maruyama started from scratch again and made studio M2 in 2016-2017. The studio is taking its time to create ( or recreate) the world of Pluto into an anime universe. I think the studio is not slow, it's just ensuring that the quality of the anime would be something they could be proud of and the studio could be proud of.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pluto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

King_KK - Oct 26, 2023

62 by Ariel0499 »»
Apr 14, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ScarRufus - Oct 26, 2023

79 by Rob7 »»
Apr 11, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

deg - Oct 26, 2023

193 by admiral978 »»
Apr 5, 3:22 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

watsym - Oct 26, 2023

56 by L01MK »»
Mar 29, 5:05 AM

» Masao Maruyama's comments about the Pluto manga

LLBird - Jul 7, 2023

4 by cookcamel »»
Mar 26, 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.