Forum Settings
Forums

Why are so many Shonen series urban fantasy?

Nov 7, 2020 9:33 AM

Sep 2015
I've started to realize that nearly every battle shonen takes place in modern times, but has a group of humans with superpowers that fight monsters or other people in a city.

JuJutsu Kaisen, My Hero Academia, JoJo's, Bleach, Blue Exorcist, soul Eater, Kekkai Sensen, World Trigger, Fire Force

Edit: Original hyperbolic title: Why is every Shounen series urban fantasy?
BlossomBurstNov 25, 8:13 AM
Nov 7, 2020 9:36 AM

Jun 2016
Because it's a familiar setting although I can find just as many examples of different settings.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 7, 2020 9:39 AM

Aug 2015
It´s easier to say that something is occuring in Tokyo than making an entire place, continent, or even world out of your head.

Not everyone can do what Oda pulls up.
Nov 7, 2020 9:49 AM

Dec 2007
i actually believe that bleach isn't one of those examples, since the "real world" can easily based on real town.

but it's common to place shounen story on fantasy world because some of the things that build up the anime more the action is the world build up, unless it's not explored much like hunterxhunter which is the simple example to use fantasy world because it's more easier to create mystic powers and ect.
Nov 24, 4:11 AM

Aug 2015
It is because urban fantasy is pretty much the default category of the fantasy genre, it is about people in regular cities and towns where the storyline also involves supernatural aspects and other kinds of powers and entities, other big examples from the ones you mentioned are Death Note, Monogatari, Tokyo Ghoul, Mob Psycho, God of High School, Noragami etc, they are all urban fantasy. Bleach is an interesting example actually because in the beginning arcs it was entirely urban fantasy but later it became more of a hybrid but still primarly keeping those roots.

The majority of the regular popular series are urban fantasy as well, like The Sandman, The Vampire Diaries, Lucifer, Supernatural, The Boys and so on, and most movie series as well, like The Twilight Saga, John Wick, most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and DC Extended Universe, Fantastic Beasts etc.
ElfezenNov 24, 4:31 AM
Nov 24, 4:42 AM

Oct 2010
there are lots of examples of non urban fantasy in battle shounen, so yeah
Nov 24, 4:46 AM

May 2019
i don't think that this case applies to every single shonen in existence.
Nov 24, 5:04 AM

Aug 2020
This is a take I had in mind for quite a time. My guess is that since they fit better to our present reality, it makes the story more immersive and natural.
Nov 24, 5:44 AM

Apr 2019
Their are just as many shounen that are not urban fantasies like Attack On Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, Demon Slayer, One Piece, Magi, etc. It is not restricted to just urban fantasy.

A lot of writers choose the urban fantasy setting because it allows for writers to explore a world that's similar yet dissimilar to ours. It allows them to show the parallels between our real world and the one with the fantastical elements much more easily compared to traditional high fantasy. Also the genre is extremely popular so their is a high chance of a work in this genre to get popular compared to a work in other genres. Thats also one of the reason why a lot of writers decide to write their stories in this genre.
Nov 24, 1:55 PM

Mar 2022
No there are shonen about rural stagnation
Apparently, I've discovered that I can take these yawn filled days & turn them into movies..
Starry skies at night are beautiful but I wish it would rain and cleanse this shitty world...
Nov 24, 2:11 PM
Oct 2013
But bleach substitute shinigami arc is a suburban fantasy...
Nov 24, 2:45 PM

Apr 2018
Maybe 'cause the Isekai genre has the market cornered on High Fantasy/JRPG-like settings nowadays?
Mystical Eggplant Nagato Yuki says: "Be not afraid, my child, for i bring naught but nutritious blessings upon thee."
Nov 25, 8:11 AM

Sep 2015
Why are people hitting up this post 2 years later

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Final Fight? (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

ThePrinceOfAcid - Dec 6

21 by WolfSaber »»
17 seconds ago

» Whats your top 10 character's?

rosemay18 - 2 minutes ago

1 by takamono »»
22 seconds ago

Poll: » Best New gen Shounen Anime

I_simp_Zer0_Tw0 - 6 hours ago

19 by rosemay18 »»
49 seconds ago

» What would happen if Mizuki Himeji from Baka and Test had a baby with Kusuriuri from Mononoke?

Saori_Shun - 2 hours ago

4 by Jim_Heart »»
5 minutes ago

» genres or specific themes you wish got more attention

Fang_Tooth - 8 hours ago

22 by togeswords »»
18 minutes ago