Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 30, 2020 5:59 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Avan once again has something to prove to himself and against Hadlar.

Like previously, I respect his fighting spirit despite how powerful his opponent is. The fight itself got intense right away and I'm not too surprised to see Avan get a rough beating. However, my favorite part of the episode is when Avan unleashed all that power. Dai vs Hadlar is also pretty cool imo.
Oct 30, 2020 6:33 PM

Sep 2018
As a fanboy:
DragonKnight92Oct 30, 2020 6:46 PM
Oct 30, 2020 7:31 PM

Feb 2019
What an episode. We knew Avan wasn’t making it out based on last week, but man it doesn’t mean it hurt any less. Plus, it wouldn’t be a shonen without the master dying and the student swearing to avenge him while setting out on a journey.

I can’t wait to see how Dai and Popp develop throughout the series. Dai’s got a long way to go and I’m gonna enjoy the journey. Shouts to Toei for the quality here.
Oct 30, 2020 8:38 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode, I felt this episode a bit rushed, but I think was ok, now expecting to see next episode, and how crocodine looks in this remake.
Oct 30, 2020 9:04 PM
Oct 2016
Avan the true hero. Sacrificing himself so that Dai and Popp could live past this encounter with Hadlar. The rest of the fight between the Dark Commander and the former Hero was thrilling. Avan really gave it all he had left to stop Hadlar or at the least impair him right on that island. Hadlar upgrades with his new body were just too much for Avan having few magic power left. Hadlar was too daunting. Which made it all the more exhilarating to see Dai clobber him!! Loved seeing Dai wreck Hadlar and make him run! Dai using the Avan strash with his master sword too, completely perfect moment to see. Dai seems to have some Dragon blood in him. Hope that comes up later. Hadlar is very worried about the young Dai and how much potential he has to even surpass how great Avan was. Looks like next we meet our resident female member of the squad along with another of the Dark Lord's generals
Oct 30, 2020 9:07 PM

Jan 2011

so they plan to remove red blood, this really dumb as always
Oct 30, 2020 9:07 PM

Jan 2009
Avan did a suicide attack but his death is kinda lacking in drama? and his magic spells did not disappear when he died? so i guess he is still alive somehow

and Dai is a dragon knight eh

Oct 30, 2020 9:18 PM

Jun 2015
I thought they couldn't make Avan's death any more dramatic :'( My man

But rejoice, Maam is coming up! And
too
Oct 30, 2020 9:18 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It's sad for Avan :/ well now Daï is going to be the one that will save the whole situation
Oct 30, 2020 9:21 PM

Jun 2015
dark-chaos said:

Yeah, they eased up the graphical violence quite a bit in this remake
Oct 30, 2020 9:29 PM

Jun 2015
Marinate1016 said:
What an episode. We knew Avan wasn’t making it out based on last week, but man it doesn’t mean it hurt any less. Plus, it wouldn’t be a shonen without the master dying and the student swearing to avenge him while setting out on a journey.

The original ending even gave the death flag in advance
Oct 30, 2020 9:30 PM
Dec 2014
Silverstorm92 said:
As a fanboy:
I know how you feel but that probably wont happen...sadly.. P.s.
Oct 30, 2020 10:30 PM

Jan 2009
that face when reading the character description of Avan here on MAL
Oct 30, 2020 11:29 PM

Oct 2017
RIP Avan sensei, you were a great hero.
Oct 31, 2020 1:25 AM

Sep 2020
My homie Croc will make his appearance next ep, can't wait to see his bff in the future lol

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Oct 31, 2020 3:28 AM

Sep 2018
Futari_no_Ossan said:
My homie Croc will make his appearance next ep, can't wait to see his bff in the future lol

I guess you are
Oct 31, 2020 3:41 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Okay, thats another epic level of battle in Dai no Daibouken. Two excellent battle in one episode, nice! Unfortunately, Avan sacrifices couldn't even beat the op Hadlar. It seemed useless. But, it surely gave a nice moral effect and a great development to Dai's character. He mostly learnt the main point to became a hero with all of the lesson he received, and most importantly that last sacrificial moment. Fortunately he was not death at all, almost. Well, back to the battle scene, with the situations getting worst, Hadlar was still able to escape from Dai transformation, and plan something bad in his castle. So, Dai was the dragon knight. Thats why he had that shiny blue crest on his forehead. The story behind it must be good to be told. But, left aside that, i shall know it might getting reveal slowly....

Then, in my short, finally the real thing of the show arrived via these episode: the adventure of Dai, began!
badabassOct 31, 2020 3:53 AM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 31, 2020 4:10 AM

Sep 2019
It was great, Dragon Quest definetly exceeded my expectations. Avan’s sacrifice led to born of a hero. Dai don’t let your teacher’s sacrifice go in vain.
Oct 31, 2020 5:06 AM

Sep 2018
So let me continue the hype every week lol
These fights are actually the WORST of whole series, not even close to be called "epic" when comparing to other TRULY EPICCCCCCCC upcoming fights (100x-1000x better than these). Again
Oct 31, 2020 6:46 AM

Aug 2010
Definitely one of the best master in anime/manga. RIP Avan sensei

Dai strength kinda surprised me though, because he already shot a huge beam at 5th episode. I can't wait to see how strong he's gonna be at the end of the story. lol

BabyR4gnaOct 31, 2020 6:49 AM
Oct 31, 2020 7:45 AM

Aug 2013
RIP Avan-sensei.

Dai wrecked Hadlar so bad and I can't to see how strong he will get.

Oct 31, 2020 8:46 AM

Sep 2007
The fights are still well animated and it's nothing compared for the future ones.
Avan dies as a hero and will thus give the unshakeable motivation to his disciples to face the army of demons. This little moment when Hadlar lets Avan say goodbye, it shows a certain respect despite all their liabilities.
Now things will become more serious with the "first boss".
Oct 31, 2020 8:59 AM

May 2019
Silverstorm92 said:
These fights are actually the WORST of whole series, not even close to be called "epic" when comparing to other TRULY EPICCCCCCCC upcoming fights (100x-1000x better than these). Again

As someone who hasn't read the manga, is it worth reading ahead of the anime? Or should I go ahead and read it after the anime has finished airing?

Also, I thought Avan's fingers being stuck in Hadlar's head was super metal.
Oct 31, 2020 9:18 AM

Jul 2016
avhensley said:
Silverstorm92 said:

As someone who hasn't read the manga, is it worth reading ahead of the anime? Or should I go ahead and read it after the anime has finished airing?

I think is always worth to read the manga, but maybe some parts of the story don't have the same impact when you will see it animated. Anyway, as I say it's worth, same as see the old 1991 adaptation.
Oct 31, 2020 9:23 AM

Sep 2018
avhensley said:
Silverstorm92 said:

Read it and you can understand the hype. If you are patient enough, just watch this 2020 version (at very least 100+ eps, 2-3 years running. This 2020 ver will definitely adapt whole 349 chaps manga), muchhh better pacing and animation than the old 1991 version which was dropped at 1/4 manga story (chap 88). If you can't wait, read the manga right now!
Oct 31, 2020 9:29 AM

Mar 2020
Avan put his life on the line so his pupils can live to see another day...what a man. He definitely is a hero.

Dai went sicko mode on Halder lol. Dai ended up scaring Halder away from the island but looks like he'll come back as good as new with a army.

Dai's journey shall start to defeat the Demon King.

Good episode :)
Oct 31, 2020 9:50 AM

Sep 2018
And so it begins... 5 episodes to get through the introduction arc isn't bad at all for a long running shonen, I'm digging this pace.

I hope Toei can keep the quality of the show consistent like this, it'd be great having a long-running series that looks this good every week.
Oct 31, 2020 10:12 AM
Apr 2020
fantastic animation but why censore red blood ?
Oct 31, 2020 10:18 AM

Sep 2020
Silverstorm92 said:

I guess you are

Futari_no_OssanOct 31, 2020 10:22 AM

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Oct 31, 2020 10:45 AM
Feb 2019
Since when Toei can makes 5 episodes with great animation in a raw ??? XD

Joke aside, it was absolutly fantastic !
The pacing, the emotion, Avan's sacrifice, everything !

And God, dat Avan Strash !!!

I haven't read Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken before, but if the rest of the show is that good (if not 1000 better than that, like some of you said on this tread and on the previous ones too), it will be one of the best shonen of the decade, PERIOD !
Setsky1Oct 31, 2020 10:49 AM
Oct 31, 2020 11:16 AM

Sep 2018
Setsky1 said:
Since when Toei can makes 5 episodes with great animation in a raw ??? XD

Joke aside, it was absolutly fantastic !
The pacing, the emotion, Avan's sacrifice, everything !

And God, dat Avan Strash !!!

I haven't read Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken before, but if the rest of the show is that good (if not 1000 better than that, like some of you said on this tread and on the previous ones too), it will be one of the best shonen of the decade, PERIOD !

It definitely will IF Toei keeps this animation and adapts manga well. The manga itself was one of the best shonen in lately 80s, early 90s decade lol
Oct 31, 2020 12:15 PM

Sep 2007
avhensley said:

You can also watch the original serie which is a musical delight for the ears and faithful to the manga which is a masterpiece so read it too now if you don't want to wait.
Oct 31, 2020 12:22 PM

Apr 2014

What do you get if you fuse King Piccolo with Wolverine?
Oct 31, 2020 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
Switch_Z said:
Marinate1016 said:

The original ending even gave the death flag in advance
bro This ending is just so beautiful omgšŸ˜­
Oct 31, 2020 2:00 PM

Sep 2015
"I am in a lot of pain, but I have no time for that now!"

Avan is awesome! Well, was... and Dai just made Hadler look cooler by giving him an X shaped scar xD
I make pixelart, comissions open :3
Mecha girl here -^.^-
Oct 31, 2020 2:31 PM

May 2018
Avan is a true Yuusha T_T rip best character
Oct 31, 2020 3:20 PM

Apr 2016
Well, seeing Avan die like that is a but meh, honestly. Nice episode overall.
Oct 31, 2020 10:22 PM

Oct 2008
another great episode!
too bad Avan has fallen!
Dai power-up was amazing!
5/5.

Oct 31, 2020 11:06 PM

Aug 2018
Avan die like a hero and Hadler fucked up big time because Dai is coming for him now

Overall 7 out of 10
SaiDxvLightOct 31, 2020 11:31 PM
Nov 1, 2020 2:15 AM

Feb 2012
avhensley said:

Without spoiling anything, it's not really like DnD is known for having big twists and all. One or two come to mind but we're not talking mindf*ck that will make you read the manga differently like SnK or anything like that.
It's pure classic 90s shonen. Like eating your favorite cake from when you were a child and having memories coming back.

For me it's totally safe to read the manga and not wait until the series is done because it will probably take some time before completion (at least 2-3 years if no pause/rush/cut)
Nov 1, 2020 6:37 AM

Apr 2020
Is it just me or is Popp kinda useless? lol
Nov 1, 2020 7:51 AM

Jun 2011
Fantastic episode.. enjoyed every second of it!
- Avan's last moment.
- Hadlar fight.
- Dai dragon crest reveal + Avan strash.

- And even Popp uselessness was so good to see.
I'm so happy for this start.. hopefully it stays like this to the end.
Nov 1, 2020 7:58 AM

Dec 2014
Epic episode, fantastic production as well.

Some parts of this felt very old school, Hadlar with the Gainax poses somehow reminds me of the saiyan outfits and scenes out of DBZ.

Avan-sensei. T.T
He tried his best despite his powers having declined over the years, fought valiantly and protected his comrades with his life. Great guy, the OST has he was saying his goodbye to his students was very emotional. Gotta commend Hadlar for at least giving him that courtesy.

So Dai is a dragon knight, I'm curious about his origin now and what being a dragon knight entails.

Looking forward to the next arc, I think I'm gonna enjoy this way more than I thought.

It looks like they will be censoring red blood though, which is a shame since the enemies seem to have that greed blood. I guess it's because of the time slot and target audience.
Nov 1, 2020 8:43 AM
Jan 2018
RiceKnight59 said:
Is it just me or is Popp kinda useless? lol

That's the impression he'll give off early on, for sure. It's a long series though so just hang tight on that front.
Nov 1, 2020 3:44 PM
Oct 2020
I can not understand the fans .. if they started to like dai series starting from episode 4 or even 5 and the post a positive opinion about it , then why the rate rise a little bit to be 7.25 , then suddenly dropped to be 7.23 ! .. if we really dai fans we should make the rate increase not increase then decrease again !! .. please this is dai fans page if anyone want to spoil it there is many fans for dai , so do not disturb us as dai fans .. we want dai rate to rise and become 8 , i can see many people just try to enjoy the series then when they finish, they give it a disappointing rate , do not spoil it on us (dai fans) please we want dai to be compare to other fall anime 2020 , so I suggest anyone who are not serious about it .. just find another anime and do not spoil this legendary anime !
Nov 1, 2020 3:55 PM
Oct 2020
I am really in shock ! Why we do not try to rise the rate for dai (this legendary anime) the one who saw dai old version and complete the manga know how this series is legend , so dai doesn’t deserve a rate such as 7.23 , it deserves to reach 8 , so as fan of dai and reader of the manga , i ask all who is a fan of dai to give it a good rate and make it reach 8 , it deserves to be compared to other anime in fall 2020 . So please try to rise it who knows , maybe later they will deside to make a continuing to the the series after the manga adaptation parts if they see the high rate of the dai series 2020 .
Nov 2, 2020 2:56 PM

Mar 2010
A great battle and such a great sacrificial death. A true hero. Man the adventure is also hype asf.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 3, 2020 2:29 AM
Jul 2019
dark-chaos said:

I am surprised that there are still people who prefer the old version
Animation
Art stayle
Background
Character Design
There is no comparison
just some red coloer not gona make old virson better

There is enough blood for vampires
You just need to stay patient and grateful
Nov 3, 2020 3:37 PM

Mar 2019
As an OK adaptation i appreciate the lightning fast pace this is taking.
Nov 3, 2020 7:43 PM
Jul 2019
This was emotional back as a kid but not as an adult it's a little bit ridiculous how Hadler waited for him nocely do all this dialogue with his students before fighting.

Beside having no blood makes it more kids friendly than even the original itself.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» NEW ANIME PROJECT CONFIRMED

SOSYBOI - Mar 11, 2023

12 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:53 AM

Poll: » Choose the best arc(s) in Dai no Daibouken!

DragonKnight92 - Oct 21, 2022

10 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

35 by Teirayo »»
Mar 30, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

132 by MonkeyDKyle »»
Mar 27, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2020

50 by Teirayo »»
Mar 27, 7:05 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.