Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 26, 2020 8:10 AM

Mar 2020
Hey. So, this post isn't completely related to Toradora!, but just romantic comedy anime in general. I'm really sorry about that, but there's an important thing I need to ask.

So basically, as we all know, MAL loves asking for suggestions from people and then not listening to them. One thing we absolutely NEED on the site is some sort of genre-filter where you can include and exclude genres. But of course, unfortunately, there is not one.

You see, I just recently got into the romantic-comedy genre by watching Tsurezure Children, and am planning to watch Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun, Toradora!, Hi-Score Girl, Tonikawa, and Teasing Master Takagi-san, but I want to find more romantic comedies. I have a very specific taste in romance anime - I don't like harem (for obvious reasons) and drama (I'm already depressed enough) in them. I know this is A LOT to ask - and maybe a very stupid thing to ask - but does someone have some sort of list of some really good rom-coms I'm missing out on? Thanks in advance :)
NOW WATCHING: Blue Exorcist (Season 3), Bucchigiri?!, Bungou Stray Dogs (Season 2), Delicious in Dungeon, and Mashle (Season 2)

Oct 26, 2020 5:51 PM
Jul 2020
You can find genres by clicking on the “more information” tab in a shows description. For example, Toradora has a romance tag and you can click on that and MAL will show you everything deemed a romance.
As for some suggestions, I’d firstly suggest Toradora. It does human relationships really well. Secondly I’d suggest a show that seems like a harem at first but it’s not, Bunny Girl Senpai. Steins Gate has a good flavor of romance and comedy but is definitely not something that’s light. Kind of a heavy hitter. Lastly, the Pet Girl of Sakura is one of my personal favorite Rom-Coms. Great mix of light heartedness and some heavy feelz. Good luck on your journey young grasshoppah
ClosetedWeeb33Oct 27, 2020 8:46 AM
Oct 26, 2020 5:53 PM

Mar 2020
JayWeeb33 said:
You can find genres by clicking on the “more information” tab in a shows description. For example, Toradora has a romance tag and you can click on that and MAL will show you everything deemed a romance.
As for some suggestions, I’d firstly suggest Toradora. It’s does human relationships really well. Secondly I’d suggest a show that seems like a harem at first but it’s not, Bunny Girl Senpai. Steins Gate has a good flavor of romance and comedy but is definitely not something that’s light. Kind of a heavy hitter. Lastly, the Pet Girl of Sakura is one of my personal favorite Rom-Coms. Great mix of light hearted ness and some heavy feelz. Good luck on your journey young grasshoppah
JayWeeb33 said:
As for some suggestions, I’d firstly suggest Toradora. It’s does human relationships really well. Secondly I’d suggest a show that seems like a harem at first but it’s not, Bunny Girl Senpai. Steins Gate has a good flavor of romance and comedy but is definitely not something that’s light. Kind of a heavy hitter. Lastly, the Pet Girl of Sakura is one of my personal favorite Rom-Coms. Great mix of light hearted ness and some heavy feelz. Good luck on your journey young grasshoppah
thank you so much! I hope MAL adds a better search function lol
NOW WATCHING: Blue Exorcist (Season 3), Bucchigiri?!, Bungou Stray Dogs (Season 2), Delicious in Dungeon, and Mashle (Season 2)

Oct 26, 2020 7:21 PM
Apr 2013
Thank you @SoulMifune98 for the question I've been meaning to ask as well and thank you @JayWeeb33 for the many suggestions!
Oct 26, 2020 7:31 PM

Mar 2020
amoquisque said:
Thank you @SoulMifune98 for the question I've been meaning to ask as well and thank you @JayWeeb33 for the many suggestions!
No prob! Good luck on your search for some good romcoms!

Oct 27, 2020 2:20 PM
Sep 2020
JayWeeb33 said:
As for some suggestions, I’d firstly suggest Toradora. It does human relationships really well. Secondly I’d suggest a show that seems like a harem at first but it’s not, Bunny Girl Senpai. Steins Gate has a good flavor of romance and comedy but is definitely not something that’s light. Kind of a heavy hitter. Lastly, the Pet Girl of Sakura is one of my personal favorite Rom-Coms. Great mix of light heartedness and some heavy feelz. Good luck on your journey young grasshoppah
love is war is a romcom with far more com than rom as well
Oct 27, 2020 5:48 PM

Mar 2020
peaswar said:
JayWeeb33 said:
awesome, thank you! I’m planning to watch Love is War.

Nov 1, 2020 4:30 PM
Sep 2020
SoulMifune98 said:
peaswar said:

i will say, you may be a little misguided re: what constitutes harem anime, and there are quite a few which technically qualify as harem but aren't as sus as the genre would suggest. Quintessential Quintuplets for example is technically a harem but doesn't come off as that.

Bunny Girl Senpai and Monogatari are primarily dramas with pseudo-harem characteristics and quite a bit of humor

Likewise, Oregairu plays quite a bit into the romantic aspect over comedy, but is again technically a harem, as is Toradora, infact.

All harem means in the context of anime is a MC who has multiple potential love interests.

You mentioned Tonikawa, which is a great anime so far. You might like The Day I Became a God, which is also currently airing. It's not romantic between the MC's (the MC love interest is a side character) but its funny, so worth taking a look in my book.
Nov 1, 2020 4:45 PM

Jul 2017
whole list filled with suggestions here, https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1841894#msg59846938

also if you're planning on watching Gekkan Shoujo for the romance, you're gonna be severely disappointed. Shouldn't even be labelled as a romance tbh
Nov 2, 2020 8:53 AM

Mar 2020
peaswar said:
SoulMifune98 said:

i will say, you may be a little misguided re: what constitutes harem anime, and there are quite a few which technically qualify as harem but aren't as sus as the genre would suggest. Quintessential Quintuplets for example is technically a harem but doesn't come off as that.

Bunny Girl Senpai and Monogatari are primarily dramas with pseudo-harem characteristics and quite a bit of humor

Likewise, Oregairu plays quite a bit into the romantic aspect over comedy, but is again technically a harem, as is Toradora, infact.

All harem means in the context of anime is a MC who has multiple potential love interests.

You mentioned Tonikawa, which is a great anime so far. You might like The Day I Became a God, which is also currently airing. It's not romantic between the MC's (the MC love interest is a side character) but its funny, so worth taking a look in my book.
Thank you! And yeah TONIKAWA looks cute, I need to start watching it lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Nov 19, 2008

256 by Pelpav »»
Yesterday, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Nov 26, 2008

283 by Zertur »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 11, 2009

502 by Seradim »»
Apr 6, 1:19 AM

» Minori Kushieda

LuckyTenth - Feb 21, 2021

9 by MyBliss »»
Apr 2, 3:42 AM

» What's physical diff between kano and ami

atl_nal - Mar 28

7 by Ashikhi »»
Mar 31, 1:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.