Forum Settings
Forums

Do you instantly prefer an anime if it ends?

New
Oct 24, 2020 2:23 AM
Aug 2015
I love a lot of animes that are coming out nowadays. But I feel that less and less and them are actually ending, they rely on a source material that would take a decade to adapt at this pace of 1 cour every 2 years (the context doesn't help but it has been a thing for years, lately).

I feel that animes didn't have this bad habit just a decade ago, they were packed in 1-2 years max, and conclusive (Death Note 2006, Gurren Lagann 2007, Clannad & Code Geass 2008, FMAB 2009, Steins Gate & Madoka 2011, Shinsekai Yori & Psycho Pass 2012, Kill la Kill 2013, Shigatsu 2014...) compared to the past few years (Vinland Saga, Dr Stone, Kaguya, Neverland, Mob Psycho, SnK, Re Zero, Kimetsu, 3-gatsu, Made in Abyss, Haikyuu). I did cherry pick and you can find counter examples, but I think that this general trend is just an objective observation.

And one thing I love about animes is when they reach their conclusion. An anime just doesn't feel complete, fullfilled, until you get the whole picture, until the narration came full circle, until you feel that sweet void.

Do you feel the same?
Oct 24, 2020 7:22 AM
Jul 2020
Yeah, I kind of do. Finished anime are easier to binge watch imo.
Oct 24, 2020 7:33 AM

Feb 2019
That's the only anime i prefer now than seasonal
"Rating are for Casul"

"While masterpiece are for Pleb"

"But shit taste is enlightenment"

"Go watch School Days you Weebs"
Oct 24, 2020 7:35 AM
Feb 2018
Yeah having a conclusion is important. Even if it is a crappy anime original at least there is degree of closure. Hanging on for a season 2 that will never come is probably the worst thing for a anime watcher besides a butchered manga adaptation.

View my badges.

I don't understand what this is for.
Oct 27, 2020 8:15 PM

Jun 2020
In my opinion, the endings are by far the weakest part of 99.9% of anime. The Japanese are excellent at finding a cool concept and following to its logical conclusion, and it all falls apart in the end for many reasons usually.

I wish every (great) anime universe went on forever, and there were only like 30 total animes that ran every season instead of a a bunch I will never watch....
Oct 27, 2020 8:16 PM

Oct 2017
Well you had many series following manga too many of the cases you pointed out were finished before the anime got announced or were anime originals (which still come out this year has had plenty of those). Plus the anime industry runs on a very 1-2 cour basis (which I think is for the better). Stuff like Demon Slayer may not be finished but it definitely will be. You can always see what will and won't by sales. Even stuff I didn't expect to get a second season like Vinland there seems to be one in the works I think the industry is getting better at continuing stuff honestly.

Personally I don't know if I have a preference sure of course I want to see everything get adapted and it's nice to know something is properly adapted rather than having to track down the manga. That said if it has an interest premise that always determines it. Even if I know I will have to go read the manga an interesting premise will win out. Plus I would rather just see a good series get just one season then it never get anything at all. At least I can see it in color, with voice acting and a soundtrack and it opens up a manga to a wider audience.
Oct 27, 2020 8:17 PM

Jan 2020
Yeah same, reason why I'm not watching black clover yet.

But even if it isn't fully completed I'll still watch if a season is completed. I don't watch airing seasons though.
You jump to the right and you shake that hand

You jump to the left and you shake that hand

Meet new friends

Tie that yarn

And that's how you do the Scarn

Woo
Oct 27, 2020 8:18 PM

May 2014
I have a love-hate relationship with 12-24 episode shows because it hurts how short they are. I dropped Naruto after 150 eps because I don't have the time or attention span to invest even though I enjoyed it. I think the perfect medium would be between 50-80 eps.
Oct 27, 2020 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
Definitely. I'd very much prefer a story completed in 1-2 cours rather than one that adapts only like, 10% of the manga like most recent anime do.
Oct 27, 2020 8:30 PM

Jul 2020
If you want to watch many anime at the same time then I'll recommend seasonal.However if you want to binge-watch animes then I'll recommend completed shows.
To be honest I prefer completed shows btw but I haven't completed any of the completed shows(except for maybe 3-4 shows).So after this season I'm gonna start binge-watching all the completed shows.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 27, 2020 8:31 PM

Jul 2020
OtakuCakes said:

But even if it isn't fully completed I'll still watch if a season is completed. I don't watch airing seasons though.

You'll watch black clover even if it gets as long as Naruto?

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 27, 2020 8:39 PM

Jan 2020
Scordolo said:
OtakuCakes said:

You'll watch black clover even if it gets as long as Naruto?

Not sure lol. Depends. I've seen fairy tail and that's long as hell. And I want to start Gintama. I'll wait and see because the story seems interesting and stuff. But if it's like One piece of smth then no I can't watch such a long show.
You jump to the right and you shake that hand

You jump to the left and you shake that hand

Meet new friends

Tie that yarn

And that's how you do the Scarn

Woo
Oct 27, 2020 8:44 PM

Oct 2019
I do like watching anime that are finished because I do like attaining that satisfaction of completing something. However completing something is one thing, and enjoying it is another.
That being said, my answer to your question is no
Oct 27, 2020 8:57 PM

Aug 2010
Yes, I'm way more excited about seeing a new original anime than adaptations because of that reason. Usually the source material is incomplete when the anime is an adaptation.
Oct 27, 2020 8:58 PM

Jan 2009
yep its the main reason i score original anime higher too
Oct 28, 2020 5:24 AM
Aug 2015
StealthBlack said:
In my opinion, the endings are by far the weakest part of 99.9% of anime. The Japanese are excellent at finding a cool concept and following to its logical conclusion, and it all falls apart in the end for many reasons usually.

I wish every (great) anime universe went on forever, and there were only like 30 total animes that ran every season instead of a a bunch I will never watch....

I don't know man, I'm pretty happy with most anime endings. On the contrary, it's the long running animes that just lose momentum and you either lose the passion you had for it, or it does "a Bleach".

But it's true that nowadays, animes aim to have the coolest and best start possible to gather the most attention possible in a single cour. So they all have great concepts and premise, but the follow up isn't always here.
Oct 28, 2020 7:23 AM
Jan 2019
TheAskald said:

And one thing I love about animes is when they reach their conclusion. An anime just doesn't feel complete, fullfilled, until you get the whole picture, until the narration came full circle, until you feel that sweet void.

Do you feel the same?

Agreed. The ending is a very important part of the story for me. How everything wraps up and concludes is vital to deciding how the story was overall.

Exceptions may be made for longer shounens, where each arc has conclusions which can (and have been) be done well.

Also, there is the Chimera Ant arc from Hunter x Hunter. It was a complete and epic story by itself. Hence the 10/10 rating I gave HxH despite having mediocre arcs previously and a relatively weaker ending.
Oct 28, 2020 9:08 AM

Feb 2020
oh yes i do.

many animes are just promotion for the manga so no second season.
and this is very shabby, i hate it when they di this.

and let's be real a concluded ending i s far more satisfying as some cliffhanger with the "subtle" message:"read the manga, the story goes on."
Oct 28, 2020 9:18 AM
Apr 2013
I actually like to watch shows, which know how to finish their story.
And no, that doesn't mean that I need the anime to be the finish line, so to speak.
I tend to continue the manga if the anime left me impressed. The problem is, that a lot of those still fuck up the ending in some way. The only Manga so far I've read with a perfect ending was Yagate Kimi ni Naru. The only Anime so far was I think Mahoutsukai no Yome. But in 850 stories having only TWO with a perfect ending is kinda... low.
Oct 28, 2020 9:24 AM

May 2020
Yep. I usually only watch originals and completed adaptations for this reason. The completionist in me will not suffer embarking on a story just to be stopped because the creators can't or won't bother to complete what they started (Wish I started doing this before I got in to the book series Game of Thrones is based off of. I know the pain HxH and Berserk fans suffer, but unlike the mangaka for both of those series, G.R.R.M is perfectly healthy. He's just not writing. Dammit George just finish the fucking series, so everyone can trash Season 8 even more.)
Oct 28, 2020 5:23 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Deadass, hands down, I will take a completed one over one that's not any day. True it may be about the journey, but ultimately it is the ending that makes or breaks it for me. I need a conclusion, I need closure. I need a complete story, I need a complete arc that sends off it's characters properly. I need my gurren lagan's and my kill la kill's.

That said if it's an absolute banger like kaguya sama which I will never stop praising then I don't mind. Just keep giving me more

NYANPASU
5700XT

Oct 28, 2020 5:28 PM

Feb 2020
The latter shows you mentioned are all shows that are inherently longer than the former shows you mentioned. For example Kaguya-sama is churning out 1 season per year currently and I don't think it'll stop. Same thing with Dr. Stone if we discount the delay. While cherry picking is fine, you did technically pick shows that are recent and not completed BUT also inherently longer. Your point is mostly true though, I think. It's just that so much more anime is being made now so the avg priority goes down per show.
Please sign up for MangAlert! It's a little project I made that I'd really like to see the light of day and some users.

MangAlert! (please sign up!)
GitHub Repo (please star!)
Oct 28, 2020 5:36 PM

Feb 2020
Yeah, I sometimes wait a few years for an anime to end so I can binge watch it all

IT'S NEVER OGRE

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

37 by Strayfe »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

26 by Lizsaki »»
8 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
8 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
16 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.