Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2020 1:43 AM
Apr 2020
I dont think this deserves the low perception its getting. It’s definitely way better than a 6.68 or maybe I’m missing something. Any reasons for the low ratings?
Oct 23, 2020 2:18 AM

Sep 2009
Idk, im thoroughly enjoying it too. But then again I dont rly care about the ratings or popularity on mal, since there are genres that are naturally more popular than others. For instance any iyashikei, ecchi or harem immediately gets a great score and is super popular but i hate those shows so i avoid them. My advice is just watch what you like and dont feel guilty about enjoying it even if its overlooked by others :) you'll have a way better time that way :)

We're all golden
Sunflwers
on the inside :>
Oct 23, 2020 7:43 AM
Nov 2019
I thinks it is because this anime is having a slow beginning, and also until now it has been episodic. However, for me the series has been really interesting and the first chapters are building the world, and presenting characters that are going to be important for the second half. This anime is going to be an slow burn, and maybe rankings are going to get better with the time.
Oct 23, 2020 3:03 PM
Apr 2019
It more or less has to do with how the episodes are presented and the tone of the show. To me personally, I just find the show to be lackluster with the plot. Episode 1 can be summed up as "Weed Bad" and episode 3 didn't have to dedicate itself to YouTube drama when there are videos that do a better job talking about it. Its episodic but that could change in the next couple of episodes. Overall, as far as first impressions go, the anime falls flat. Unless the next episodes start becoming linear with a plot, this show could end up disappointing a lot of people.
Oct 23, 2020 4:13 PM

Dec 2019
Personally I'm really enjoying IWGP but its not rlly good tbh, the episodic plots arent really that well fleshed out, and the characters are bland. I'd still be lying if I didn't say it was a fun watch though, it's just not that good of a story
Dec 26, 2020 9:33 AM
Jan 2019
Just general idiots. People will see other people rating it low and join in, some people will be annoyed at the jebait they got from genre tags as there is no romance which is understandable. Probably the anime missed a lot out and/or changed ending/ ended prematurely and romance was given as it is in the book etc. It was a 9 for me but I think it'll go down to 8 in a week because of recency bias as the last two episodes were that good for me. But yeah, it annoys me to see things so low but lots of good shows get high ratings when they are meh and lots of good shows get meh ratings like this. I said idiots as well because people are so monkey brain they prolly couldn't handle the episodic eps it had. Even though they were done so well as they built the setting of Ikebukuro as well as showing tiny hints that something is going on to make all the shit happen. Anyways, as someone said before, bets to just ignore it. This is a bit of a rant because I need to move on as well.
Dec 26, 2020 6:26 PM

Sep 2018
It had a cardinal sin, it was mostly boring crap for the vast majority of the series with lame pacing.
Dec 27, 2020 6:23 AM
Mar 2020
Because silly sausages based the anime off the tags it was provided, and every ep i watched, the comments was people crying over "WhErE iS tHe RoMaNcE".

The anime was my fav of 2019.
Ignore what everyone else says, the anime is good!
Dec 28, 2020 8:19 PM
Nov 2018
Well,lets see, for me it has a lot of issues, if you know the original story it feels like wtf are you talking about this one. if you don't know the story, you find yourself with an anime that want to say a lot in only a limited amount of time, some problems it presents aren't really a big deal and in some serious ones don't take the time to adress them properly, i feel dissapointed. it's not bad for an outsider but neither really good, entertains just enough.
Jan 16, 2021 2:50 AM

Feb 2012
I'm going to drop it early on, but I have some opinions on why it's bad.

This anime is clearly intended to cater to a Japanese audience. In the West, we're fascinated with crime and crime drama so we're treated to some really excellent TV. We also hold a vastly different view of the world than your average Japanese person.

The first episode is a perfect example of this difference. The Japanese are very tight about crime and drugs being totally evil. In this anime, there really is no gray area and I think that's where the weakness is. Your average Japanese viewer doesn't want their main characters to be associated with 'evil' in any way. Unfortunately, this leads to a very boring and cookie cutter story.

The other problem is that this show is ridiculously unrealistic and needlessly dramatic. For example, when the girl, Mio and our main character are scoping out the drug store, they freak out when the guys asks why there's a kid there. The writers could've taken it in so many great directions, but instead, they just have the characters runaway in a really weird chase. Imagine if the writers had instead, made Makoto act like Mio was his underage girlfriend. There could've been a really interesting dynamic where 'drug dealer criminal' interacts with 'probably pedo criminal'.

Couple that with the fact that they PLANTED what looked to be a bag of weed and the cops busted down the door and arrested the guy, probably sending him to prison for life for a personal amount...

One other example of a total disconnection to the real world was when Makoto was speaking to that head-cop. The guy said it takes months for substances to be analysed and determined to be illegal. That's total bullshit. Police can have that kind of work done in a couple nights max.

All in all, too unrealistic and pandering to a different kind of audience.
Jan 27, 2021 7:15 PM
Oct 2019
I think it's cuz this anime doesn't meet most people's expectations. It may be cuz of the misleading genre and synopsis. It may also be cuz ppl who know this series expect this anime to be similar to the TV show or the manga. Or simply cuz ppl find it boring.

I personally find this anime enjoyable to watch and it's probably cuz I didn't know about this series at all. I didn't even read the synopsis and I never expected it to have romance in it.
Aug 16, 2022 10:27 PM
May 2015
Definitely enjoyed this show, randomly click on it, a year ago, and just enjoyed the story.
Sep 21, 2022 7:20 PM
Mar 2021
Anime is really good, even with that low ratting.
Sep 28, 2022 6:46 AM

Sep 2020
I believe it is because most people expected this show to be about real gang fights and something similar to Tokyo Revengers, but the show has taken a slice-of-life approach. How is Tokyo Revengers rated higher than this show? I'm not sure. I'd prefer this over Tokyo Revengers any time.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2020

37 by Feary7 »»
Dec 24, 2023 9:17 AM

» I've heard the drama is a better adapatation of the novel. Are there any viewers of it out here ?

clomapni - Dec 22, 2020

6 by neonkirsche »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:52 PM

» live action IWGP

removed-user - Dec 8, 2019

17 by mdo7 »»
Nov 7, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ringare - Dec 22, 2020

77 by GTPROX01 »»
Oct 12, 2023 4:52 AM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2020

147 by Rithic »»
Aug 31, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.