Forum Settings
Forums

Pope Francis indicates support for same-sex civil unions

New
Oct 21, 2020 3:01 PM

Jan 2009
Pope Francis has said that he thinks same-sex couples should be allowed to have "civil unions".

He made the comments, which observers say are his clearest remarks yet on gay relationships, in a documentary directed by Evgeny Afineevsky.

"Homosexual people have a right to be in a family," he said in the film, which premiered on Wednesday.

"They are children of God and have a right to a family. Nobody should be thrown out or made miserable over it.

"What we have to create is a civil union law. That way they are legally covered."

He added that he "stood up for that", apparently referring to his time as Archbishop of Buenos Aires when, although opposing same-sex marriages in law, he supported some legal protections for same-sex couples.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54627625

christianity is getting more liberal nice one
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 21, 2020 3:24 PM

Jan 2011
meanwhile those crazy evangelicals be like
Oct 21, 2020 3:30 PM
Oct 2018
Pope has been getting more and more based
--
Oct 21, 2020 4:20 PM

Oct 2020
Isn't this old news, OP? Don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty f*cked up (and very hypocritical considering the Bible's stance on homosexuality), but why does it belong in the "current events" section when it happened several years ago? :o

Or am I missing some vital information here?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2020 5:00 PM

May 2018
Cringe. This pope is a clown. #NotMyPope.
Oct 21, 2020 5:17 PM

Mar 2011
Its not like he changing doctrine, just how the religious should view the non-religious. He is interesting but unless its changing doctrine or teaching, nothing really new in the sense as surprising. And I agree! If people have a problem with gay marriage by viewing the union as "sacred", then continue having weddings in the Church of whatever faith you belong to; if not, then your religious freedom doesn't get to rewrite that marriage outside religion is a contract between people (usually) and laws are allowed to function as well as people outside religion's purview. Civil Unions are allowed for others, and they can go to a official for it.

I'm saying to the topic it might appear to be a change but its a reinforcement of the separation of governance between religious institutions and as the US is about to have a Catholic majority in its Supreme Court, its relevant to point these things out for him probably. Its how other denominations of Christianity respond as well as inner sects to this-- to which its expected to be something they are in total-against, as they view authority from "the book" more than from the papacy.

"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Oct 21, 2020 5:30 PM
Jul 2018
not Catholic, dont get the whole pope thing, but i also agree its an unrealistic expectation that someone will revert their sexual orientation. so not using fear or shunning is always the better option...

as for 'civil unions', well i actually i would not condone it because they would be living together. it is inevitable anyway but that so-called pope has double standards
Oct 21, 2020 6:50 PM

Mar 2008
Same sex unions may have already been performed by various Christian authority in the past
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelphopoiesis

There also isn't a very strong biblical argument against homosexual rights and marriage.

https://theconversation.com/using-the-bible-against-lgbtq-people-is-an-abuse-of-scripture-110128

https://theconversation.com/to-christians-arguing-no-on-marriage-equality-the-bible-is-not-decisive-82498
Oct 21, 2020 8:38 PM

Feb 2013
A better source of information:

Pope Francis calls for civil union law for same-sex couples, in shift from Vatican stance

What did Pope Francis say about civil unions? A CNA Explainer

Most likely the pope was talking about ensuring civil law allows for bros to have certain legal rights as a spouse would in a marriage, like authority in health care decisions or visitation rights.

Homosexual acts are always immoral. It is a misinterpretation to claim any kind of support for immoral acts by the pope or Catholic church.
Oct 21, 2020 8:43 PM

Dec 2016
Lol.

I am almost 100% certain the Catholic church was infiltrated by a Zoroastrian convert who became the Pope and doled out excommunications in the past.

The man that lies with mankind as man lies with womankind, or as woman lies with mankind, is a man that is a Daeva [demon]; this man is a worshipper of the Daevas, a male paramour of the Daevas[5][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism_and_sexual_orientation

annnnddd that is how you become a anti-hero Black Templar.

SoverignOct 21, 2020 10:49 PM
Oct 21, 2020 9:43 PM

Mar 2008
BurntJelly said:
A better source of information:

Pope Francis calls for civil union law for same-sex couples, in shift from Vatican stance

What did Pope Francis say about civil unions? A CNA Explainer

Most likely the pope was talking about ensuring civil law allows for bros to have certain legal rights as a spouse would in a marriage, like authority in health care decisions or visitation rights.

Homosexual acts are always immoral. It is a misinterpretation to claim any kind of support for immoral acts by the pope or Catholic church.

No he indeed was talking about homosexuals unless by bros you mean all humanity are children of God thus siblings then yes. There is no way to misinterpret what he said in context.

As for the last bit in your post read my previous post. I provided links that explain the problems with statements like that on religious grounds.
Oct 21, 2020 10:51 PM

Oct 2010
pope benedikt was better, I don't care, my country is christian orthodox, we have the great patriarch IPS Daniel.
Oct 22, 2020 5:18 AM

Apr 2020
LMFAO. Big W for the muslims. Christianity is dead as fuck boi.
Oct 22, 2020 6:25 AM

Jul 2015
He can't say retarded revolting things ALL the time, he has to say decent stuff sometimes too. If someone expects me to applaude someone who excuses terrorist attacks on atheists tho... Not before he gets cold.

Catalano said:
pope benedikt was better, I don't care, my country is christian orthodox, we have the great patriarch IPS Daniel.

He's unhappy because not enough gold. He's just in it for the gold. Please people, send this poor guy your money prayers.
Oct 22, 2020 6:39 AM

Oct 2010
Ghemotoc said:

Catalano said:

He's unhappy because not enough gold. He's just in it for the gold. Please people, send this poor guy your money prayers.

what are talking about, this humble man is the lamb of god :))) totally not corrupt and evil.
jokes aside, this dude was a secret agent in the time of comunist romania, he put many people in prison.
wow, when was the last time we had a discussion on the forums? you're that french guy who loves rei right?
Oct 22, 2020 7:32 AM

Jul 2015
Catalano said:
Ghemotoc said:

what are talking about, this humble man is the lamb of god :))) totally not corrupt and evil.
jokes aside, this dude was a secret agent in the time of comunist romania, he put many people in prison.
wow, when was the last time we had a discussion on the forums? you're that french guy who loves rei right?

Hahaha yes it's me. That pic is funny honestly, could he look more grumpy? (^%
Romanian? I wanna travel there a couple weeks at some point before the end of the year if I can :3
Oct 22, 2020 7:39 AM

Oct 2010
Ghemotoc said:
Catalano said:

Hahaha yes it's me. That pic is funny honestly, could he look more grumpy? (^%
Romanian? I wanna travel there a couple weeks at some point before the end of the year if I can :3

nice, you should go for the experience and it won't cost you that much.
that dude never smiles, he doesn't even fake it, that's orthodoxism for you.
Oct 22, 2020 9:33 AM

Mar 2008
Ghemotoc said:
He can't say retarded revolting things ALL the time, he has to say decent stuff sometimes too. If someone expects me to applaude someone who excuses terrorist attacks on atheists tho... Not before he gets cold.

Do you have examples of that?
Oct 22, 2020 12:46 PM

Jul 2015
traed said:
Ghemotoc said:

His whole "if someone insulted my mom I'd punch him" legendary sentence after Charlie Hebdo's killings.
Oct 22, 2020 12:51 PM

Jun 2020
Good, I still don't understand the hate against same-sex marriage, etc. Let people be, it's not like them marrying is going to ruin your life or sum shit like that.
Oct 22, 2020 1:26 PM

Mar 2008
Ghemotoc said:
traed said:

His whole "if someone insulted my mom I'd punch him" legendary sentence after Charlie Hebdo's killings.

I am not so sure there. Looking back into it he also said religion shouldn't be used to condone violence. What he said was tone deaf and insensitive to victims but I wouldn't say it was excusing them. It sounded like he was suggesting just because something shouldn't happen doesn't mean it wont and it's best not to intentionally provoke people over things they could have explosive reactions to.. . So just another way of saying to be tolerant.
Oct 22, 2020 1:46 PM

Feb 2010
K_Rool_Addict said:
Isn't this old news, OP? Don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty f*cked up (and very hypocritical considering the Bible's stance on homosexuality), but why does it belong in the "current events" section when it happened several years ago? :o

"it's fucked up."(has 11 year old girl body pillow for signature.)

bruh.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 22, 2020 3:28 PM

Sep 2017
Tch
Another based point decreased for the pope, do better next time
Someone stop this man, he's literally distorting the religion
خ
Oct 22, 2020 3:37 PM

Oct 2020
hazarddex said:

bruh.

I'll have you know she's at least 110 years old, my good (waki-loving degenerate) sir. :o

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2020 4:05 PM

Dec 2012
hazarddex said:
K_Rool_Addict said:

bruh.
The Bible doesn't say anything about lolis. If anything, only the most devoted Catholics can appreciate their presence in the church.
Oct 22, 2020 4:32 PM

Mar 2008
Fatephile said:
Tch
Another based point decreased for the pope, do better next time
Someone stop this man, he's literally distorting the religion

Not necessarily. Read my first post and the links provided. You too @k_rool_addict
Oct 22, 2020 5:30 PM

Dec 2016
Even when I was religious I didn't get why religious people care about gay marriage anyway, isn't, according to most of them, inside the church marriage the only true form of marriage anyway? Like, wasn't the entire point of having a priest there to make it valid in the eyes of god?
N04L1TYOct 22, 2020 5:37 PM
heh.
Oct 22, 2020 6:30 PM

Dec 2016
Bayek said:
hazarddex said:

bruh.
The Bible doesn't say anything about lolis. If anything, only the most devoted Catholics can appreciate their presence in the church.

No. That would be a Baptist preacher (who can actually get married and have a family). While Father O'Hanahan is diddling the choir boys. The Baptist preacher will leave a trail of devastation and nakadashi in his wake (and pregnant fifteen year olds). In between delivering fiery sermons about retaking Jerusalem.
Oct 22, 2020 6:33 PM

Dec 2012
Soverign said:
Bayek said:

No. That would be a Baptist preacher (who can actually get married and have a family). While Father O'Hanahan is diddling the choir boys. The Baptist preacher will leave a trail of devastation and nakadashi in his wake (and pregnant fifteen year olds). In between delivering fiery sermons about retaking Jerusalem.
As the saying goes, Skyrim belongs to the Nords!
Oct 22, 2020 7:19 PM

Jul 2016
even with him saying this people will still hate the HOMOSEXUALS, quite pathetic
Oct 22, 2020 7:41 PM

Jun 2008
I grew up an Evangelical Christian....as in PROTESTANT.

It didn't take long for me to find out Protestants are IGNORANT, BIGOTS, and straight up FRAUDS!

So, I can now say....Catholics are the REAL Christians.

They have more compassion, they have more acceptance, and they actually care about Jesus.

Unlike the pathetic Evangelical wing of Christianity that HATES gays, looks down on the poor, and have zero compassion towards others.

Oct 23, 2020 1:24 AM

Jul 2012
Bob-o-Dominador said:
Even when I was religious I didn't get why religious people care about gay marriage anyway, isn't, according to most of them, inside the church marriage the only true form of marriage anyway? Like, wasn't the entire point of having a priest there to make it valid in the eyes of god?

It's mostly just a power grab based on a slippery slope mentality. Essentially various religions have spent a long time setting up large groups or acts to be inherently evil based on specific sections of scripture. Now there's a rapidly increasing population of people who just do not care about religion or vocally don't follow any organized religion. With that shift has come a general tolerance for many of these factors which poses a threat to religious based power.

To use gay marriage as an example I can even reference the recent opinion piece written by Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas on the US Supreme court. They basically stated that the existence and legalization of homosexual marriage undercuts the religious freedom protected by the first amendment because it created a methodology for the religious provisions to be challenged on a case by case basis. They even referenced the case of the women who got sued for not distributing marriage licenses to homosexual couples.

Which is a running theme, basically major religions have propped up these groups as enemies and now that they're being more readily accepted it's a potential challenge to their power. Especially when people get into calling out practices like say conversion therapy which is just literal torture.
Oct 23, 2020 1:31 AM

Jul 2015
this is good.
recognizes same-sex unions without angering the traditionalists by specifically distinguishing it as something other than marriage.
the quote in the article perfectly encapsulates it
"This was his position as Archbishop of Buenos Aires," said Mr Ivereigh. "He was always opposed to marriage being for same-sex couples. But he believed the church should advocate for a civil union law for gay couples to give them legal protection."
Oct 23, 2020 1:36 AM

May 2013
That's basically what I thiink too. Let gay people have a partnership for the benefits.

However, there's no need to call them 'husband and husband' hahah.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Oct 23, 2020 1:11 PM

Mar 2011
@--ALEX-- I'm not sure who is more true, but I can say I believe it due to where the groups get their religious rules from (scripture, leader, abstract).
How the different denominations interpret and understand how to engage with their world is strongly dependent on where that faith sees as its source of authority. For Catholics, its is Papal infallibility while Evangelicals (as the name hints) see it from their distinct version of the bible, biblical inerrancy. There are even different preferred bible versions for each denomination, that vastly contrast in messages, ie Book of Mormon. Don't know if you care for that explanation but i do agree fundamentally all Christian denoms should be trying atleast to emulating their namesake's founder--

@Slawadia I was unsure, I remember reading the Archbishop of New York seemed bummed cause the quote went something like "He made a mistake..". I agree a good thing tho but not sure if traditionalists were pleased. Unsure how they feel with papal infallibility.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.