Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 18, 2020 7:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
One thing about this episode that impressed me is the narratives of this show. And this week, we also got more storytelling about William James Moriarty who dislikes a certain system in their society.

In the meantime, there's Albert, who I find fascinating for their own ideals. Quite honestly a fascinating episode to see characterization of the cast so far.

Oct 18, 2020 7:31 AM

Dec 2014
This is really good, I'm very invested now.

Moriarty's portrayal here an more of an anti-hero is quite interesting and very different from the way he's portrayed as more of a 'chaotic evil' antagonist in BBC Sherlock. I enjoyed the latter but I think I might like this even more, I wonder if we'll ever have Sherlock show up at some point, assuming he is a part of this story.

The fire at the end was probably their own doing to take down the Moriarty household. Albert's brother by blood came across as a very annoying guy.

Loving all the shot of James with his deep stares and red eyes, it portrays this image of him staring deep into your soul which I like a lot.

Really looking forward to more.
Oct 18, 2020 8:17 AM

Sep 2019
We saw how Albert and James met each other. It was a really good episode.

Albert heard James’s thoughts on nobles and said: “In the eyes of God he has been taking the path of wrong to achieve a world that is right.”. That was the best way to phrase James’s ideology.

I can’t wait to see the things they will do in order to actualize their ideal world.
Oct 18, 2020 8:24 AM

Nov 2016
So this was basically the "real first episode". Was interesting to see more of William and his ideals. However, it felt like this episode was missing some stuff.

Edit: Yeah, I guess the manga is definitely worth checking out, also for those who look for more graphic content.
FMmatronOct 18, 2020 10:44 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 18, 2020 8:29 AM

Oct 2017
That was quite the intriguing backstory, the graphic used to describe the difference between nobles and normal people were sick.

So the first thing they did was burn the entire family except themselves, smart move heh. With this they can even make the fake William into the real one.
Oct 18, 2020 10:27 AM

Apr 2016
nice episode, william got some johan vibes
Oct 18, 2020 10:48 AM

Dec 2016
Nice episode, I like the character development they are delivering for Moriarty.

Like the OP, it goes well with this anime. I really want them to change that ED tho...it's way too Disco XD

And everything is just common like how it used to be in that age.
Oct 18, 2020 10:57 AM

Jul 2020
Nice fascinating episode as expected. I really like way they switch between perspectives in this episode. The OP is amazing.

Love how William helps others while actually deceiving them for his greater goal

Can't wait for the next episode after seeing that building go up in flames while Albert, William and Louis walk out from the building. Also, did you notice the cut on Louis cheek
Oct 18, 2020 11:01 AM

Oct 2014
This is starting to get interesting, im invested now.

The table is set, the cards are dealt and its time to start playing.
Oct 18, 2020 11:18 AM
Sep 2020
Wow! I already had high hopes after the first episode, and the plot is exceeding my expectations.

LOVE the OP too. Think it fits really nicely.

If only the ED had the same vibes..
Oct 18, 2020 11:18 AM
Aug 2019
That was a fantastic episode. I really liked their backstory.
So they were orphans before and Albert took an interest in him.
His real brother, William was a jerk.
Oof that post-credit scene seems like they burned down the Moriarty mansion, does that mean his parents and his brother are dead quite ruthless.
The op sounds amazing I like it.
I like the ED visuals but the choice of music is a bit off.

Oct 18, 2020 11:24 AM
Jul 2017
Good episode, but could have been better. Idk if they’re saving the scene with the mother for the next episode or if their just gonna skip it. It would be best to include it if possible because it makes the attitude of the nobility much clearer and the response to that from the brothers becomes much stronger because of that.
"Of course I hate in-groups and in-jokes. Oh, but I like in-fighting, because I'm not part of the 'in.'"
-Hikigaya Hachiman

"God gave men two heads but only enough blood to run one"
-Hayasaka Ai
Oct 18, 2020 11:27 AM

Jan 2013
I wish they had hired a historical consultant cause this is getting unbearable to watch.

Freaking Japanese-style bowing everywhere.
This is not how servants acted in 19th c. Britain!

A noble lady adopting orphans to 'save them'? As if she couldn't employ them as the gardener's helpers, fund a 5-star orphanage to place them in or whatever to improve their lot! This is scandalous and unthinkable! People would suspect she's adopting her own secret bastards! A noble family WITH SONS adopting orphans is even more unthinkable!

Ugh... also a kid teaching adults how to kill rats or care for flowers... Such rocket science, much wow. Really... My most generous take is that they were just humouring him.

I have to admit, the MC spreading anti-nobility radicalism among orphans was funny as hell. Communism memes are writing themselves.

Since this is a work by a Japanese author, the MC will never ever think of getting into politics if he's serious about his 'equality' goal, which is sad. (And let me remind you that the Liberal Party was established in 1859, whereas the flashback takes place in 1866. Trade unions were proliferating even before then.) A brilliant man who weaseled his way into a noble's house and now is a university professor (according to the synopsis) is trying to reform the society and make Britain a fairer place... by assisting in gruesome murders of criminals. Give me a break. Not only is this a dumb hole in logic, it's also disappointing for the audience.
Oct 18, 2020 11:30 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Lelouch0202 said:

Moriarty's portrayal here an more of an anti-hero is quite interesting and very different from the way he's portrayed as more of a 'chaotic evil' antagonist in BBC Sherlock. I enjoyed the latter but I think I might like this even more, I wonder if we'll ever have Sherlock show up at some point, assuming he is a part of this story.

It seems that he will as according to MAL, Makoto Furukawa will be playing a Sherlock Holmes in the cast.

I agree with you, I really like this take on Moriarty. Having Sherlock play the ultimate defender of the establishment and prevalent social order would be even more compelling.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 18, 2020 11:31 AM

Jul 2015
I have seen enough.. I'm interested in where this goes from now on..
Loved how the anime isn't trying out to be extra ordinary but is focusing on irl problems that *might* have actually existed...
Also.. this feels like a Shoujo or Josei consdering the full cast of the handsome men xD
Oct 18, 2020 11:49 AM

Dec 2010
chi4ko said:
I wish they had hired a historical consultant cause this is getting unbearable to watch.

Freaking Japanese-style bowing everywhere.
This is not how servants acted in 19th c. Britain!

A noble lady adopting orphans to 'save them'? As if she couldn't employ them as the gardener's helpers, fund a 5-star orphanage to place them in or whatever to improve their lot! This is scandalous and unthinkable! People would suspect she's adopting her own secret bastards! A noble family WITH SONS adopting orphans is even more unthinkable!

Ugh... also a kid teaching adults how to kill rats or care for flowers... Such rocket science, much wow. Really... My most generous take is that they were just humouring him.

I have to admit, the MC spreading anti-nobility radicalism among orphans was funny as hell. Communism memes are writing themselves.

Since this is a work by a Japanese author, the MC will never ever think of getting into politics if he's serious about his 'equality' goal, which is sad. (And let me remind you that the Liberal Party was established in 1859, whereas the flashback takes place in 1866. Trade unions were proliferating even before then.) A brilliant man who weaseled his way into a noble's house and now is a university professor (according to the synopsis) is trying to reform the society and make Britain a fairer place... by assisting in gruesome murders of criminals. Give me a break. Not only is this a dumb hole in logic, it's also disappointing for the audience.

Why are you taking FICTION so seriously it does not have to be realistic.
Oct 18, 2020 12:16 PM

Jun 2014
So we got some backstory on how Albert met William and Louis. Even as a child, William is spreading some pretty crazy messages among his fellow orphans. Looks like it influenced Albert as well since the end of the episode seems to suggest that they burned down the Moriarty mansion. They really said fuck it, let's burn it all down and start from scratch lol. I'm interested in seeing where the story goes from here and what kind of chaos will continue to brew through Moriarty's methods.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 18, 2020 12:17 PM

Aug 2008
Lol, i do not know about the others, but ilove the end a lot :)))))
good introduction of the characters as kids ...
The spider is watching
Oct 18, 2020 12:24 PM

Feb 2019
Man wasn’t expecting this show to be so good! William’s vision while dark, is understandable and after seeing how Albert’s brother treated the servants you begin to sympathise with the plan. The hardest choices require the strongest of wills and Albert killing his own family is a start. Love the OP and ED too
Oct 18, 2020 12:26 PM
Apr 2019
this episode was a 5/5 for me. we got more insight into william's background. execution was amazing. one of my absolute favorites this season!
Oct 18, 2020 1:48 PM

Jul 2017
The OP song isn't that good for me but it fit slightly more than the disastrous ED.

The writing and characters still feel amateurishly written for the most part and the setting doesn't feel too authentic in the way people act over there but the details in background visuals and general animation/art looks solid for the most part. Moriarty isnt too interesting himself but isn't too bad either of a protagonist for a show like this.
Oct 18, 2020 2:27 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yep, this is the beginning of their whole scheme of them to undermine the arbitrary power of the noble on that country. Its really fascinating and kinda surprised for me that actually William was a foster child of the Moriarty family, and not the real one. So, with the help of the real son of Moriarty, Albert, the whole scheme of them, started. The beginning of the day for them, to be a strong villain to Holmes xD

Such a nice backstory, and it kinda longer than i could anticipate. However, the direction was one of the best thing that i always want to seek. Because it could glued me in and got sucked in to see whats goin on behind their action, in a whole duration. And its just so damn good! So, yeah, thats the whole justification of Moriarty's brotherhood with all of their view point, about the wrong rotten system in the 19th century. I am, pretty much aggree, or to be quite exact, influenced to justify it as the right thing. William really had a nice charisma to made the adult people speechless, and i am just aggree with that, as a whole xD.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 18, 2020 2:31 PM

Nov 2012
Lelouch0202 said:

The fire at the end was probably their own doing to take down the Moriarty household. Albert's brother by blood came across as a very annoying guy.

Agreed. This episode caught my attention and has made me more interested than I was before. I've seen Moriarty cast as the hero detective before, but never a type of anti-hero or revolutionist. This is quite interesting.

I believe they set the fire to get rid of the "bad" nobles (and servants) of the Moriarty house so that the orphan now becomes William Moriarty. You notice they never said their names while they were at the ragged school. The regular people or lower class believe him to be William James Moriarty anyway.
dragynfaerieOct 18, 2020 2:34 PM
Oct 18, 2020 2:39 PM

May 2018
So, in the family of the Moriarty's only Albert is the sane one around here, but in the end he surrenders to James's twisted logic.....So, the backstory as to how James becomes wicked cu'z already at a young age he is already is.
Oct 18, 2020 4:07 PM
Jan 2016
Why are more people not talking about this? This is anime is AMAZING, I haven't too much anime from this season, but it is definitely my pick for anime of the season!
Oct 18, 2020 4:21 PM

May 2017
Wow, this has a really promising start! I'm loving the origin story.

Also that OP is very fitting, I love it.
Oct 18, 2020 4:38 PM

Apr 2019
second episode still doesn't fail to impress. This is bound to be a top contender for this season.

Oct 18, 2020 5:02 PM
Nov 2017
Finally we got into their backstory. I dropped the manga just because i want to see the anime, They really adapt it well.
Oct 18, 2020 6:12 PM

Apr 2018
So we get to know-how William and Albert met each other. With the help of William Albert killed his whole family to include William and Louis into his family which is quite interesting.
Oct 18, 2020 6:30 PM

Aug 2019
shinnxae said:
nice episode, william got some johan vibes
I'd say he gives me more Light Yagami vibes than Johan vibes tbh
Oct 18, 2020 6:40 PM
Mar 2017
I really enjoy this chapter, seems like the plot of anime complement the manga.
The opening sounds and look good and I don´t wanna comment about the ending...
Oct 18, 2020 7:12 PM

Sep 2017
That was really good. I'm wondering how much more of the past we will see before we get to where we were in ep 1. Also really hoping we get to see more of the buildup to that fire. I'm guessing he set fire to his own house to kill his corrupt noble family and to have James become James.
Oct 18, 2020 7:55 PM

Oct 2018
Amazing episode yet again (even tho I'm still not a big fan of the ending song)

Big past revealed.
Big character development for Albert.
And yet again William never cease to amaze me.

Still curious when Sherlock gonna be show up.
Oct 18, 2020 9:25 PM
Aug 2020
Yeah I'm like 99% sure the curly haired dude (real William?) got murdered. This is getting interesting. I would still like to see how Albert came to conclusions that he was going to help blonde William with his crime consultant work
Oct 18, 2020 11:10 PM

Oct 2020
I don't know how to feel about that ED, imo it just doesn't fits here, loved the visuals though
Oct 18, 2020 11:16 PM

Jun 2020
Interesting characters. Very well executed backstory. I think I'm in love with this show already.
Oct 19, 2020 12:31 AM

Aug 2015
I honestly wish the show was more explicit with how the MCs have to get their hands dirty. All the real dirty work happens off screen, and the crimes they have to commit to achieve their goals are unfortunately sanitized.

I want to see how Moriarty gets rid of the body and destroys evidence in ep 1. I want to see the three "brothers" planning the murder of the Moriarty family, and setting the fire in ep 2. Leaving the "messy" parts out makes the show too clean and happy.

Despite how Albert may hate his brother and parents, he has grown up with them. We didn't get to see his emotional turmoil as he literally sentenced them to death. Didn't get to see the "real" William reacting to Albert's betrayal in his final moments.

I guess the overall darker tone I'm hoping for won't be happening in this show, despite the plot's premise actually being quite dark. Nonetheless, I enjoy the concept enough to just go along with the light-hearted ride.

The 3 "brothers" look beautiful in that rainy shot in the ED.
whitherOct 19, 2020 12:37 AM
Oct 19, 2020 2:57 AM

Apr 2020
Damn that was awesome. This is basically like Light's philosophy of taking out the bad people from this world.

I like this!
--AbiSa--
Oct 19, 2020 3:01 AM
Jul 2018
From episode 1 it is cool, namely murder for murder. In episode 2 the past is always cool, I will continue to wait for this anime and maybe this anime will become my favorite.
Oct 19, 2020 3:27 AM

Oct 2016
Goddamn that was amazing, that backstory was really great. They killed everyone huh? Good shit. I think it was smart to put this as the second episode, it would have probably less impact if it were the first for me personally. So, this was a great decision.

I am looking forward for more, this show has been really good so far.
Oct 19, 2020 5:09 AM
Sep 2020
Good episode. Liked the sneaky way of not revealing William James Moriarty's previous name, which leads up to the conclusion that he probably got his name from Albert's younger brother William.
Also, it seems that Albert's family got killed by the fire? 100% sure William's scheming there. Not sure Albert had taken part of it as well. That'd be kind of fucked up. Even though they can be bad nobles, they are still his parents, so...got no sympathy for his younger brother tho. He was a brat. He deserved to die lol
Oct 19, 2020 5:34 AM

Jun 2020
WOW, that was an amazing episode! great storytelling, i was enthralled. could all that paint in the ED that was all over them be alluding to blood? maybe not literal blood since they burned the family to death. that was interesting.

5/5, really enjoyed this episode. i love the tone this anime is taking, they nailed it unlike other boring snoozefest "mystery/thrillers" that try so hard

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Oct 19, 2020 5:48 AM
Apr 2020
A very enjoyable episode, nice part 1 of the backstory!

OP suits the series, same eerie vibe; higanbana is there so expect that death will occur. And the ED visuals are refreshing.

This anime is getting more fascinating!

Oct 19, 2020 7:05 AM
Jul 2018
it keeps getting better, the animation, the background storyline..love the pacing of this show
Oct 19, 2020 9:02 AM
Sep 2015
I think the fire can't be the thing that gives fake william moriarty his identity AND presents tge 2 orphan brothers to society, since we have the flashback with the 2 william moriartys alive. (the MC and the prick)
Oct 19, 2020 9:12 AM

Jul 2017
OK, now we're rolling! Chapter 1 of the manga, the perfect crime doesn't exist.

I'd swear the whole noble system is such an ill-bred historical stronghold, and it's thanks to Albert to notice James and his wit of thinking, more than charity alone. His consultant "job" develops and makes him into a justice foothold for the oppressed,. to achieve the good by doing evil a.k.a the Devil's Advocate.

All I can say is, what a great continuous start, and into a 2-cour. More than enjoyable, just love the eerie atmosphere, and this will surely hit more! The ingrain of noble Albert, orphans Louis and the central character William James Moriarty, this is simply brillant.
KANLen09Oct 19, 2020 9:18 AM
Oct 19, 2020 10:38 AM

Jun 2016
I was super excited when they annonced this was getting an anime, and even more now that it looks like it will be done properly!!

This is an amazing manga that was not getting enough attention...

I hope more people get to watch!!

LOOOVVVEEE the OP!
Oct 19, 2020 11:10 AM

Dec 2015
Way better than the first episode. In Episode 1 it seemed like some boric episodic shit where the main just easily solved everything cause he is mr. super intelligent.

This added much needed char depth to the chars. I wonder what happened to the arrogant brother and the father/mother. Later it seemed like there was only Albert + the 2 orphan boys. (In episode 1 when they were adults.)

Or was the burning house at the end not the orphanage but the house of the Moriarty family? (Then they must have rebuilt it later.)

I still want to see how they planned this with the fire. And how they managed to live after that. (Until the house had been rebuilt.)

I hope we won't get only episodic stuff from here on ... without things from the past.
Oct 19, 2020 12:06 PM

Aug 2018
This episode was amazing and gave us Moriarty's background and I enjoyed this episode.
it was fantastic Overall 8 out of 10
Oct 19, 2020 12:49 PM
Jun 2020
I like the end song as much as the opening, but i agree with people who wrote that it sounds disco.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuukoku no Moriarty Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2020

118 by Avenger-senpai »»
Feb 23, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Yuukoku no Moriarty Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2020

135 by insideGegeswalls »»
Feb 4, 12:57 AM

Poll: » Yuukoku no Moriarty Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2020

95 by ReganDesu »»
Jan 22, 6:20 AM

Poll: » Yuukoku no Moriarty Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2020

99 by ReganDesu »»
Jan 18, 5:40 AM

Poll: » Yuukoku no Moriarty Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2020

95 by ReganDesu »»
Jan 16, 6:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.