Forum Settings
Forums

Twitter suspends fake accounts posing as Black Trump supporters

New
Oct 14, 2020 4:10 PM

Dec 2016
Twitter has suspended a group of fake accounts pretending to be owned by Black supporters of President Donald Trump and his re-election campaign.

The micro-blogging platform said Tuesday the accounts breached its policies on spam and platform manipulation. The news was first reported by The Washington Post.

Multiple fake accounts posted the same bogus language including the phrase: “YES IM BLACK AND IM VOTING FOR TRUMP!!!”

Darren Linvill, an associate professor studying social media disinformation at Clemson University, worked with journalists at The Post on the story. He wrote on Twitter that trolls “are out there trying to influence our conversations before November.”

Offending accounts appeared to use stolen photos of real people including military veterans and members of law enforcement in their profile pictures.

Collectively, the accounts had 265,000 retweets or Twitter mentions. Some of them had amassed over 10,000 followers.

Linvill told Reuters that most of the accounts were set up in 2017 and that they had become more active in the last couple of months.

A Twitter spokesperson told CNBC: “Our teams are working diligently to investigate this activity and will take action in line with the Twitter Rules if Tweets are found to be in violation. Presently, we’ve taken action on some Tweets and accounts for violations of our policies on platform manipulation and spam.”

Twitter is yet to say how many accounts it has suspended or who is behind them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/14/twitter-suspends-fake-accounts-posing-as-black-trump-supporters.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54533488

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/10/13/black-fake-twitter-accounts-for-trump/

https://uk.reuters.com/article/usa-twitter-disinformation/twitter-suspends-accounts-for-spam-and-manipulation-that-claim-to-be-black-trump-supporters-idUKL1N2H4237

The right-wing sure loves their identity politics
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 14, 2020 4:36 PM

Jan 2009
the bot wars are here again so ye election time is really here now

here is some news in 2016

Twitter Bots May Have Boosted Donald Trump's Votes by 3.23%, Researchers Say
https://time.com/5286013/twitter-bots-donald-trump-votes/
Oct 14, 2020 7:43 PM

Mar 2008
Hahaha more trickery shut down.
Oct 14, 2020 11:27 PM

Jun 2008
I feel like this is trick that we constantly see from the Right-Wing....especially when literal CON-ARTISTS try it.

Here, I'll give examples:

Milo Yiannapolis: Oh look, it's a GAY guy, but he's right wing! And he's soooo GAY too! See, we like gays too! Nevermind the fact that Milo is constantly railing against Gay rights and involved with various White Nationalists and that movement.

Blair White: Look, we have a Trans-woman who agrees with us! But, don't look at the fact that despite being Trans, she also loves to rail against other Trans people and Trans rights....furthermore, she has a HUGE audience on YouTube, mainly conservatives who see her as their TOKEN Trans person they can point to when needed....but of course she doesn't care because she has made so much money off of them. Selling out is too easy.

Dave Rubin: Yet another gay dude who agrees with the Right-Wing! And this guy actually left a very popular Left Wing internet show because he supposedly saw just how radical they really were!

Oh, but how coincidental, that it was later discovered that the reason he left was because he wanted a 6 figure salary for doing a 30 minute show when he wasn't that popular at the time.

Later he got TONS of money from Prager U and the Koch Brothers to go on this crusade against the Left and how they HATE freedom of speech poor little Rubin just wanted to talk about "big ideas".

Well, of course now everyone knows all of these GRIFTS.
Oct 15, 2020 12:01 AM

May 2013
I don't have a problem with this. I mean, those are blatant puppet accounts. It's not even the opinion of the user anymore.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Oct 15, 2020 8:08 AM

Dec 2016
I totally belive that if the republican party wins it is because more than 50% of the population don't care about electoral crime -Oh, wait, not 50%, because republicans never win the popular vote, they need the baby-sitter-college-
heh.
Oct 16, 2020 9:48 PM

Aug 2013
There will never be blacks for Trump. Doesn't matter if Kanye likes him or not.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.