Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 3, 2020 7:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, this turned out to be an interesting experience. A bunch of idols introduced for this new anime including one of the student council presidents.

For's worth, it does remind me of the original Love Live series but with a new set of characters. Ayumu seems to have the most presence so far so and she seems like a sweet girl. She and Yuu seems to be also good friends. One of the theme songs used for this first episode is also catchy. Bring on more!
Oct 3, 2020 7:47 AM

Feb 2019
Omg I love the art style so much, I love ayumu already too 😭 the girls are great so far. Idk, it’s early, but I like the vibe of this better than SIP and sunshine so far. Could be recency bias, but it is what it is.

Also , chase is a fucking banger. Just downloaded it.

Can’t wait for next episode.
Oct 3, 2020 7:47 AM

Jan 2019
You can see it on Crunchyroll. At least in Europe.

Furthermore, the start doesn't really impress me. But this doen't say anything. I was not impressed by Sunshine , too, when I started to watch it.

Ans I am not sure, what I should think about the fact, that when the songs are sung, the scenery slippes into some kind of dream scenerey. But possibly, I can go with it after some time.
Oct 3, 2020 7:56 AM

Oct 2013
Cool first episode.

I still prefer the old art style, but this ain't too bad either

NEED MORE KARIN IN MY LIFE

GIMME

That aside, we got a really cool CHASE! scene, and 2 new songs. Next week we'll be shown the OP, so another song!

And side note: I'm pretty sure Yuu's ringtone is Yume e no Ippo (before the song was even a thing, lul)
Oct 3, 2020 7:58 AM

Aug 2013
A good start imo. Instead of the school being shut down, they instead went for the club.

The songs they used were catchy. Looking forward to more of them.

Oct 3, 2020 8:03 AM
Jan 2016
I AM OFFICIALLY DEAD. honestly the animation is so good i cant- also I ALREADY LOVE IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yohane shoukan!
Oct 3, 2020 8:03 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well it's like all Love Live anime..xD good first episode
Oct 3, 2020 8:04 AM

Dec 2014
Super sparkling shiny episode, that's all I can say.

I never followed Nijigasaki since they were introduced and I was hoping the anime could get me interested and I will say that it has succeeded so far.

Production value is off the charts. The art is incredible, animation is great, even the CG was great. Sunrise really put in the work here.

Chase was absolute fire, Setsuna might be my favorite already but Ayumu and Yuu were great too. Loved Yuu's passion in the beginning and Setsuna later on, they really set that optimistic energy in the atmosphere.

Can we take a moment and appreciate how awesome the school is? Like what? It's huge, extravagant and what are those insane building structures? It's more like a shopping mall than a school.
With a school like that, there's no we're gonna get another classic save the school plotline right?

Ayumu running up the stairs was such a classic and nostalgic scene, damn. Love the moment where she asks Yuu to join her in realizing this dream. The sparkle in those eyes, those moments are what I watch Love Live for. xD

Yousoro/10
Oct 3, 2020 8:14 AM

Jan 2019
My God, this is too beautiful!

I couldn't believe it when I saw the quality of this anime's CG. Sunshine's CG was already great, but now it’s so much better that I wouldn’t think it was possible if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. This first episode stunned me from beginning to end. I am euphoric, I am impressed with everything I saw and I will watch this episode again a few more times because it is just wonderful.

It's my favorite 1st episode of the season. In addition to the absurd production, new director Tomoyuki Kawamura does a great job and Jin Tanaka's text is very good.

10/10.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Oct 3, 2020 8:20 AM

Nov 2008
The performances are two steps up from the 1st Love Live and Sunshine and the CG is almost becoming unnoticeable during them, they felt entirely like a music video than a live performance. Ayumu looks nice in that pink dress as well. Nice to see Konoe who seems to have slept until evening.

Oct 3, 2020 8:22 AM

Apr 2014
Love live is back!! with a good first episode.
And another good things from this episode is how we can see Rina real face in this episode.

Lelouch0202 said:

Can we take a moment and appreciate how awesome the school is? Like what? It's huge, extravagant and what are those insane building structures? It's more like a shopping mall than a school.
With a school like that, there's no we're gonna get another classic save the school plotline right?

Their school is huge because it's based on Tokyo Big Sight which is the famous convention and exhibition center in Odaiba, Tokyo, and one of the largest in the country.
何それ?意味分かんない
Oct 3, 2020 8:29 AM
Apr 2020
Ahh that was honestly wonderful. The songs never fail to give me goosebumps and to give me this feeling of warmth. I really am excited for the new season and for the upcoming episodes o((*^▽^*))o
Oct 3, 2020 8:31 AM

Sep 2020
The first episode was awesome. I love their character design, it was just so cute!!!
Oct 3, 2020 8:33 AM

Jul 2015
The 3DCG seems to be improving. It was one of the main points I always thought it was dreadful. It seems they mixed with 2D animation some shots?

Oct 3, 2020 8:43 AM

Sep 2019
Looks better than the first Love Live imo. The girl with the pink hair is too cute!
Oct 3, 2020 8:43 AM

Oct 2017
Whew here we go again with yet another love live. Both of the previous Love Lives were really good and as a fan of this franchise I'm really looking forward to how this is gonna turn out.

Looks like they are going with a new story and plot this time. No more school shutdown as I dun see this school getting shutdown anytime soon. The new girls looks adorable, dunno who'll I get attached to by the end of this project but hoping I'll get someone like Honoka.
Oct 3, 2020 9:31 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Love Live never fucking fails lol

i have more merch from it than most other series
Oct 3, 2020 9:43 AM

Sep 2010
Moral of love live: if you can't shut down the school during this series, then you can go for the next best thing... the club itself.
Oct 3, 2020 9:45 AM
May 2020
What an amazing first episode, there was so much going on, from us finally getting a better look at Yuu to that amazing Chase scene. Little references like Yuu’s ringtone being Ayumu’s first solo Yume e no Ippo are what I live for, and Ayumu’s new solo and the ending are really great. I can’t wait for the rest of the show, I’m so excited!
Oct 3, 2020 9:53 AM

Mar 2019
Holy moly. It is finally here!!! Love Live Nijigasaki!!

Starting directly with CHASE! WOW.

It is so cute how Yuu and Ayumu are such great friends, almost like in SIFAS. Well...I wish Yuu would become an idol as well.
Oct 3, 2020 9:56 AM

Jul 2012
I'm a HUGE fan of Love Live, particularly Sunshine/Aqours (gone to their concerts in US). I haven't gotten into PDP since it came out mainly because I figured this anime would follow the game plot, and I didn't want to spoil it for myself.

The CG made my jaw drop. It is SO much better than previous seasons. I think the change to this style of animation compared to the first two series was for the best.

Overall, this episode really blew me away. I think it was the best opener of the three, and I'm looking forward to more of this.

The stairs scene was really pretty.
Oct 3, 2020 9:57 AM
Jul 2018
Very nice first episode and we'll see a lot of Kasu Kasu (my best Nijigasaki girl) in the next episode. Can't wait for it! ❤️
Oct 3, 2020 9:59 AM

Nov 2016
Not sure if I will end up liking it as much or even more than the original, but it certainly started off well with things I already liked in SIP.

Lelouch0202 said:

FR, meanwhile my school looked like a hospital and who knows, maybe we still have to pay some debts xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 2017
So so so excited for this anime! I've been playing All Stars so i already know the characters, some of the songs, and the general story beat, but i don't have a best girl decided yet.... (im conflicted between Kasumi and Shizuku)

Loved hearing Setsuna perform CHASE!, definitely one of the best from the 1st round of solos. And Yuu had "Yume e no ippo" as Ayumu's ringtone, super cute!!!

The ending illustrations are cute. I didn't realize black is Yuu's image color? I guess Emma already took green, so this makes Yuu even more goth than Yoshiko
redvelvetdollOct 3, 2020 10:02 AM

Aug 2013
I play SIFAS so it felt very weird to hear Yuu talk at first haha xD.. other than that the episode was pretty nice! the new art style is gorgeous and the music was amazing as usual! we also got to see glimpses of all characters too which was nice, and wow they actually managed to make Rina way more expressionless than the game, I was impressed by that. Ayumu was also superrrrr cute and I’m glad she finally got a special MV! it was very cool. Excited for next week episode! I can’t wait to see more of my best girls Kanata, Emma, Rina, and Kasukasu aka QU4RTZ <3~
Oct 3, 2020 10:00 AM

Sep 2015
Okkkk this is so exciting!! First episode was beautiful, I love Ayumu and Yuu's motivation and their friendship. Also looove the improvement done to the CG dancing, much more pleasing to look at. Nice pacing, we get a glimpse at a few of the other main girls without a load of information. Seeing Setsuna perform CHASE right away immediately got me hooked, I can't wait to see the other girls perform their singles in the show, especially Ai <3 Super pleased with this episode, simple, nostalgic and sparkly.
Oct 3, 2020 10:04 AM

Sep 2017
MegamiRem said:

Looks like they are going with a new story and plot this time. No more school shutdown as I dun see this school getting shutdown anytime soon. The new girls looks adorable, dunno who'll I get attached to by the end of this project but hoping I'll get someone like Honoka.

Unlike Sunshine with Chika, Nijigaku doesn't really have an exact Honoka clone. I'd say Ayumu or Ai are the closest to Honoka
Oct 3, 2020 10:09 AM
Sep 2019
Amazing first episode! As someone who’s been following Nijigasaki ever since that first livestream where the seiyuus walked onstage nervous as all hell, I can safely say this episode delivered and then some. The girls are the most likable bunch in the franchise to me, and so far the anime is doing great showing that.

The CG is fantastic and so is the new art style and animation. Nijigasaki as a whole is very different compared to SIP and Sunshine, from the premise to the location to the songs themselves. I love how the performances turn into these fantastical music video dream sequences, it gives them a lot more life and are just more visually interesting to look at than normal stage scenes. The songs are great so far too; CHASE! is arguably one of the most popular LL songs all due to Tomori’s amazing voice, and the direction of that scene did it justice. Ayumu’s new song is already one of her best solos. The ED is also really good and really cute.

All around great stuff, can’t wait for KasuKasu next week
Oct 3, 2020 10:09 AM

Jan 2019
I like what I'm seeing so far. Cute girls (ofc), good songs, good art style and pretty slick looking CGI. Looking forward for more.

lol they had to end it with funny Kasumi faces.

Oh yeah, love the MV style for their performances.
misaka-9982Oct 3, 2020 10:13 AM
Oct 3, 2020 10:19 AM

Aug 2015
I'm back for a minute to MAL just to say this...

HOLY THE FIRST EPISODE IS WAAAAY BETTER THAN I THOUGHT!!!

Yes, I've been following LLSIFAS hence i was kind of down when they dropped the pv and show that Yuu wasn't inspired by muse and Aqua, but by Setsuna instead. But i think they execute it pretty well.
And so far, it doesn't seems like it's a direct copy of the game's scenario, so that's a plus. Definitely excited for next episode XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Oct 3, 2020 10:52 AM

Apr 2013
What can I say..
two best friends together in whole eps,
CHASE MV,
Yuu's phone ringtone is Ayumu's song Yume e no Ippo,
big-modern high school,
Rina's emotionless face,
new Ayumu's song with MV,
and ofc, the ending that so different style compare to SIP & Sunshine (artstyle it's like Revue Starlight ending though)
A good start for LL Niji..

And next week we got a clone Nico nico nii girl episode, Kasu Kasu (it's Kasumin)
Oct 3, 2020 11:06 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, this was certainly a good experience. First time experiencing Love Live! through this and I can kind of see why this franchise is such a phenomenon now.

Sunrise definitely aren't holding back either, great to see! I bloody love the art-style and the animation quality is pretty darn good too. Interaction between the main duo and just the whole flow of the episode was really nice too so this gets an instant pick from me.

Definitely up for more! Hopefully, I'll be able to check out Love Live! School Idol Fes by the end of this month to get the full (-er) experience.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 3, 2020 11:41 AM

Jul 2020
Question: Will I be able to follow the story even though I've never seen nor played anything Love Live before?
Oct 3, 2020 11:41 AM

Sep 2016
You know, it took until I finished the episode for me to realise that I have yet to finish the original(only watched the first). Although, it's only the first episode, I'm already liking this more than what I watched from the original, mostly because no drama about the school closing down.

If I have to be nitpicky about something, I think Ayumu singing would have more impact if it didn't turn into a music video. The whole music video thing works with Setsuna because it was the first performance both Yuu and Ayumu have witnessed, so it made sense to use it in there, the same can't be said to Ayumu's performance.
Oct 3, 2020 11:52 AM
Jul 2019
halcyonparade said:
Question: Will I be able to follow the story even though I've never seen nor played anything Love Live before?

Yes. It's a completely separate and very different story from previous series. You can just catch up on them whenever you want.
Oct 3, 2020 11:56 AM

Aug 2013
I'm not impressed. I'm not a LL fan at all (IM@S all the wa in every possible aspect), but I wanted to check this series. Character design is way worse than previous LL series. That's for sure.
They definitely improved 3DCG dance scenes since 1st LL, now it's watchable.
I don't understand why almost everyone is praising the art and animation, except mentioned 3DCG scenes, everything is downgraded comparing to previous LL series. Characters are drawn rather lazily in many scenes, background art is boring (too many scenes with CG environment).

At least thay are not saving the school again and main girl isn't that annoying.
rsc-plOct 3, 2020 12:05 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 3, 2020 12:54 PM

Jul 2008
I loved it. As a huge fan of Nijigaku and a player of the app for a year, it's great to see these girls on screen in their own series. The only weird part for me were how suddenly Ayumu wanted to be an idol (even though the first 2/3 of the episode was more about Yu's interest in the club).

As for the art, I actually really like it. I think it is good and smart of this series to have its own style and not copy the sakuga of series 1-2 (though the app of course has the same style, lol).
The only place the art bothered me was the ED song, because it was just /too/ simplistic.
Oct 3, 2020 12:55 PM

Mar 2020
Well that first episode was better than I'd thought It'd be.

The idol songs were pretty catchy and I loved how there was a little time for every main character to show themselves.

Don't know how good this love live will be compared to the others but I'm hoping it will be a show just as good or even better than Idol Project and Sunshine
Oct 3, 2020 1:17 PM

Mar 2018
Good start in my opinion. I wonder what made them disband the club...
Oct 3, 2020 2:49 PM

Aug 2018
Pretty cute first episode. Was better than I'd thought it'd be.

Love Live girls I probably would like so far: Yuu & Emma.
Glad we also had already a very short and reserved introduction from Rina.

I have a soft spot for reserved anime girls you see. Before watching the anime I was already aware of her Doki Pipo ☆ Emotion song, so yeah.

Look forward to see more next week.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Oct 3, 2020 3:10 PM

May 2020
Such a great episode man! .

Loved the art and animation, the girls looks nice and im already catched with the songs.

I didn't expect this to be soo good haha.
Oct 3, 2020 3:19 PM

Aug 2019
I wonder how this is going to play out considering Sunshine already felt like a copy of the original Love Live.
Oct 3, 2020 3:19 PM

Oct 2015
Good to see Kasukasu in the flesh animated, ai looks so different xd
Oct 3, 2020 3:33 PM

May 2018
Okay that was great.
The CHASE performance was so, so good. Very well done!

This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Oct 3, 2020 3:39 PM

May 2015
Great first episode! As someone who plays SIFAS I was looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint. I've followed a bit of the in-game story and iirc it's somewhat faithful, with a few more extra scenes to flesh things out. I'm not going to judge it on how much it follows the SIFAS story though. Also, the CHASE scene was 10/10 as it's one of my favourite NijiGaku songs.

The new art-style is so lovely and fresh, just what we needed. The girls look a bit different from their in-game art style but I'm not complaining. I also wasn't expecting Rina to be so casually without her Rina-chan board.

Can't wait for some Kasukasu content next week.

♡ artist
サコ
Oct 3, 2020 4:44 PM

Jul 2016
I'm really impressed with how much the CGI has improved with each Love Live edition. Sunshine's CG was already decent enough but Sunrise actually managed to make it look even cleaner here. Props to them.

Simple but cute start, I guess. I like the new art-style and I personally appreciate the fact that the girls' eyes aren't so notoriously bright this time. As for the story, I guess the premise will be more similar to SIP rather than Sunshine with the difference of the girls trying to save an Idol club instead of an entire school. In any case, I look forward to seeing what this new LL installment will bring us.

I also found Ayumu and Yuu's "friendship" rather heartwarming, by the way. Now let's hope they stay like this without third wheels getting in the middle. You deserved better.
Oct 3, 2020 4:55 PM

Mar 2016
As of right now, I’ve yet to see the previous Love Live stuff, but because this is alt setting I decided to watch, anyways. Pretty nice so far, especially the 3D aesthetics, but I won’t rate yet. May God punish the plebs who rated this 1-3. Any friends of mine who did that...man, why you act so hurt? XD
Oct 3, 2020 5:00 PM

Apr 2017
This season so far is mid in my opinion. I don't think I will finish this anime, I really don't like it that much.
Oct 3, 2020 5:31 PM

Jan 2015
Best start out of the three series

CGI is impressive, as well as animations and visuals. Characters were adorable, songs were great. Yes, this is it!
I’m so looking forward to this
Oct 3, 2020 6:08 PM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
I don't even know how long I've been waiting for this. Finally, Nijigasaki girls are getting some love and their own anime adaptation. And a top-quality one at that, just as expected! I am so looking forward to the next episodes and I feel like it's almost going to be a torture to wait an entire week every single time.

But I've got to see my best girl Ayumu animated and she got a lot of attention in this episode!

This girl is just so precious.

And she used to be a cutie as a child too!

I was a bit conflicted about the idea of implementing MC from the game as a character in the anime, but I guess it didn't play out that bad. Especially her interactions with Ayumu and their moments together. Although I would still prefer to see more idol girls than Yuu, I hope they focus on them more in the upcoming episodes.

Ai doesn't look much like Ai tho, and Rina without the Rina-chan board is not my Rina! But at least their personalities are on spot.

I was hoping to see that joint performance of µ's and Aqours so was honestly a bit disappointed at the beginning. But I can't really complain since they gave us an amazing adaptation of CHASE instead. And, of course, Ayumu and Yuu were still captivated by it, Setsuna is a real pro at what she does.

The biggest downside I found is how Ayumu declared she wants to be an idol. I felt like it differs too much from how she arrived at this decision in the game and it didn't match her personality at the beginning of the story. I presume they wanted to progress the story faster, but I liked the side of her that decided to be an idol for Yuu's sake and then gradually came to love herself doing it as well. I would love to see this development of her in the adaptation too, but sadly they rushed the things a bit. Her solo afterwards was great tho! And those references to her other songs!

We got a glimpse at the other girls too!

And finally, we must protect this smile!
Kurosawa-sanOct 3, 2020 6:15 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ringare - Oct 10, 2020

65 by Sommernacht »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM

» Better than Sunshine?

Kayroad - Dec 23, 2023

14 by Otakupervert890 »»
Apr 8, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2020

54 by youchl »»
Mar 11, 1:48 PM

» What character is the center?

Kayroad - Dec 24, 2023

1 by Amranhakim8 »»
Dec 25, 2023 12:49 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

NV2301 - Dec 26, 2020

99 by Desaturate »»
Nov 5, 2023 7:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.