Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 5, 2020 3:58 AM

May 2018
I still can't believe that we're getting a dragon quest anime haha. Dai is back! And he kicks fake hero ass
Oct 5, 2020 6:33 PM

Jul 2020
Tbh, I liked it and kinda brought a smile to my face with Dai. Yes, the plot seems to be generic and a bit childish. But I wouldn't mind watching this ever Saturday morning, it do give those Sat. morning vibes. Since I am a sucker for long-running, action-adventure shounen, I will stick around and hope something creative happens when it reaches 20+ or so...
Oct 5, 2020 11:33 PM

Mar 2019
As a huge fan of the original anime and the manga, i'm disappointed, the CG looks SO BAD and out of place in a lot of scenes. But i wasn't expecting much tbh, it's ok and i'll be watching it, do want the whole thing now to be adapted hopefully.

This reminds me a lot to the 1997 Berserk anime vs 2016, the original looks way better and full of detail and just has that classic look.
Oct 5, 2020 11:56 PM

Oct 2015
I've never read the manga or seen the original anime. I haven't even played the games. This is all brand new to me. And I agree with people saying the CG is out of place.

But I don't agree with it's childish nature being a bad thing. Maybe because I grew up with Dragon Ball.

Looking forward to more! Can't wait to see how Dai grows. :D
Oct 6, 2020 2:10 AM
Aug 2016
im glad they made this.. i know its anime exist before but i never got to see it. though i finished reading the manga long ago..
starting pretty good..
Oct 6, 2020 8:25 AM

Apr 2020
Don't know anything about the source material nor the original 1991 anime but what I do know is that I watched the episode and this is something destined for greatness. I love the OP and ED, certainly some catchy tunes. Dai is an enjoyable main along with Grandpa Brass, both are likeable characters. And also the fast frames of the animation, which I like. Of its genre, DQ is my first time and I will certainly hop in to the ride. Good first episode.
Oct 6, 2020 4:42 PM
Oct 2012
Don't sleep on this, it is so much more than a mere video game adaption.
Great character development, good friendship dynamics and many memorable rivalries.
Oct 6, 2020 7:02 PM
Oct 2012
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:
Tiago_Vaz_007 said:
A renowned work that gains a new animated version in a study that was once one of the best, but unfortunately today, Toei is synonymous with garbage. This anime frustrated me a lot, but at least the first version still exists.

What you're even talking, the adaptation was great, few changes like the location of the battle but you can expect that from a full adaptation of a manga with 349 chapters that started 31 years ago, the rest was basically a control C+V of the manga. The animation was very good (Some CG here and there but this is basic with some monsters), fight scenes were great and the artstyle is very loyal to the current artist art which makes it looks both classic and modern instead of just outdated if they used the old style, this is a remake done right.
He can't even spell Studio, what did you expect really
Oct 6, 2020 7:28 PM

Feb 2011
I have dragon warrior 3 emulated on my phone.

this anime is a huuuuge game changer for me

10/10

Oct 6, 2020 7:59 PM
Jul 2019
Good start for me. I watched the original when I was a kid so felt a lot of nostalgia watching this. However, now watching it after I have actually played several Dragon Quest games and know the spells, classes and abilities mentioned makes it much more fun, and will probably get me to enjoy this even more.

Quality of animatian, coloring and visuals has been good in this episode and hopefully continues to be the same for the rest of the anime. Some CGI weren't impressive but I really didn't have much problem with it like some here.
el3melOct 6, 2020 8:02 PM
Oct 6, 2020 9:23 PM
Apr 2020
how can 1991 version is better than 2020 its like 20 years in the futur WTF is wrong with toei its DBS vs DBZ all over again
Oct 7, 2020 8:27 AM
Jul 2019
lapine05 said:
how can 1991 version is better than 2020 its like 20 years in the futur WTF is wrong with toei its DBS vs DBZ all over again

How can you say one is better than the other when we have only just watched the first episode of this ? Maybe we should wait for 10 or so episodes before we start such comparison.
Oct 7, 2020 11:15 AM
Aug 2011
I've played DQ 1, 2, 3, and in the middle of DQ 11.

It was ok, I have not seen the original though I have wanted to and this was ok. 6/10 so far.
Oct 7, 2020 9:03 PM

Mar 2019
Despite being an anime dedicated to "kids" or younger viewers...

This series beated more than a half of the new series in the season...

Too much trash in this season, and maybe more compared to the other seasons in this year.

First episode... Nice animation and funny..

I think ill keep watching this for a while.. but i doubt on finishing it...
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Oct 8, 2020 2:52 AM

Mar 2009
Was a lot of fun. I don't know too much about the Dragon Quest series, unfortunately, but I had to check out the first episode based on the cool art style and animation.

MC reminds me of Gon a lot. And yes, I know Togashi is a huge fan...
Oct 8, 2020 4:35 AM

Oct 2008
This is quite enjoyable because of same art but new generation of today's VA! hehe

Oct 10, 2020 8:39 AM

May 2015
They just had to use CGI didn't they... Besides that it was great and other than that the 90s kid in me can rejoice, Dai the Brave is BACK!
1 episode only and ppl already rating this, seriously...
Oct 10, 2020 9:33 AM

May 2019
Dorkave said:
Sokah said:
Not even suitable for children, you need to be high to watch this.
That's a little harsh, no?

This gives me life...
Oct 11, 2020 9:45 PM

Oct 2013
This gave me dbz, Pokemon and one piece vibes. Not sure how I feel about it, but I like the art style reminds me of dragon Ball.
Oct 14, 2020 2:57 PM

Feb 2018
Besides the terrible timing of Hulu's subs' (like text would appear and disappear 4-5 seconds before they say the line), it was an alright start for me as someone who doesn't usually watch these kinds of anime (or Toei shows much at all, for that matter) and has no previous experience with the franchise. I've heard good things, though, so I look forward to more. I might watch the old series eventually but who knows. The art and animation are well done, and the music is good too, which is nice. Story seems pretty simple so far but that doesn't really matter to me as much as enjoyment. The princess and Dai could also be prime ship material but we'll have to see lol. Anyway, I think I'll enjoy this since I have enjoyed some fairly similar fantasy cartoons and anime over the past few years. 7/10
Oct 16, 2020 9:33 PM
Jul 2017
Is this going to be a remake?
Oct 23, 2020 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
That was surprisingly good. Feels like a long adventure is going to begin from the next episode. It's probably going to be a long running one. The animation was beautiful, next episode looks to have even better animation. Colors were vibrant but the CG ehh. A 7/10 episode.
Oct 27, 2020 8:25 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Very good first episode, so many creatures and colors it's really enjoyable to watch, it kinda reminds me of Dragon Ball
Nov 14, 2020 10:10 AM

Jun 2015
Not sure about you but Ive had young kids and I would not let them watch this given its themes of violence and what looks to be an adult themed story. Although I did allow the viewing of Tokyo Ghoul when my kid was 14. He seems to of grown up normally at least.

Aperson98 said:

I guess the problems I have could also be because it’s being made for young kids in mind this time, which can severely neuter the content and quality of the series to make it more kid friendly and less complicated and interesting for a more mature audience.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 9, 2021 5:45 PM

Jul 2019
That was pretty nice

I love stories like this and watching one of the OG in nice animation is a dream
Apr 9, 2021 5:47 PM

Jul 2019
Ashhk said:
Very good first episode, so many creatures and colors it's really enjoyable to watch, it kinda reminds me of Dragon Ball

The author of Dragon Ball is the artist of Dragon Quest, he has provided the designs for every game since the first (almost 40 years ago)
Apr 9, 2021 10:22 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Rojaseb said:
Ashhk said:

The author of Dragon Ball is the artist of Dragon Quest, he has provided the designs for every game since the first (almost 40 years ago)
Yup, same for Chrono Trigger I think
Apr 10, 2021 6:48 AM

Jul 2019
Ashhk said:
Rojaseb said:

Yup, same for Chrono Trigger I think

Yeah he's so iconic
Aug 15, 2022 6:09 AM
May 2020
not a bad beggining
Sep 30, 2022 2:27 PM

Dec 2021
Oh wow, sampling the past events right away, instead of interspersing them through the anime like the 1991 version did. Feel a bit mixed about that OP, not feeling it like I did with the old version's OP. None of that awesome video gamey music either. Also, that 3D was UUUUGGGLLLYYYYY!!

Seiyu don't all sound quite like the original ones. Dai sounds different in a way I can't really place, and Brass isn't all high pitch and voice crack-y (Which I found super charming in the 1991 ver). At least the discount heroes all sound about right, as well as Gome and Leona.

Not as good as the first episode of the 1991 version, but it seems like more of the manga got adapted here, so hopefully it improves.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Sep 30, 2022 4:18 PM

Dec 2020
Daviljoe193 said:
Oh wow, sampling the past events right away, instead of interspersing them through the anime like the 1991 version did. Feel a bit mixed about that OP, not feeling it like I did with the old version's OP. None of that awesome video gamey music either. Also, that 3D was UUUUGGGLLLYYYYY!!

Seiyu don't all sound quite like the original ones. Dai sounds different in a way I can't really place, and Brass isn't all high pitch and voice crack-y (Which I found super charming in the 1991 ver). At least the discount heroes all sound about right, as well as Gome and Leona.

Not as good as the first episode of the 1991 version, but it seems like more of the manga got adapted here, so hopefully it improves.

It will take some time, but you'll see this new version is better than the 91's one
Later you will adore the new seiyu, OST etc. Be patient.
Feb 3, 2023 4:07 AM

Sep 2019
The art part is so beautiful, the plot of this ep is quite simple, the part Leona appears quite quickly, I think she would be better without saying anything in this ep.
Mar 27, 1:04 PM
Jan 2014
first episode gave me hunter x hunter vibes and og dragon ball
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» NEW ANIME PROJECT CONFIRMED

SOSYBOI - Mar 11, 2023

12 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:53 AM

Poll: » Choose the best arc(s) in Dai no Daibouken!

DragonKnight92 - Oct 21, 2022

10 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

35 by Teirayo »»
Mar 30, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2020

50 by Teirayo »»
Mar 27, 7:05 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2020

78 by mooncheesepizza »»
Mar 11, 6:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.