Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 1, 2020 10:42 AM

Oct 2018
Haven't watched the ep yet but after knowing its a remake I guess ill go and watch the new one instead of the old. Maybe ill change my mind and watch the older version but who knows lol
Oct 1, 2020 10:42 AM

Jan 2018
Jesus fucking christ, this must be really confusing for new watchers. They didn't establish anything properly and are just rushing through it, dropped at ep 1. This is only the second anime I've dropped so far in my life.
Oct 1, 2020 10:43 AM

Oct 2014
I love that they remastered Higurashi's fire opening. It's like they're saying, "We're back." The first episode was everything I hoped this remake would be. The slice life was funny, campy, and true to the original. Passione's art style suits it well. Whenever the line art becomes sharper, you immediately know something's wrong. I hope they spend less time on the SoL parts than the original series.
Oct 1, 2020 10:43 AM

Jun 2017
MAL: "the art is good!"
The art:

I'm very sad. Higurashi is a story whose adaptation deserves the best of talent, not a group of people who can't consistently draw faces in ep 1. The character designs suck. At least the story execution does seem fine so far. Besides that one post-credit scene which makes me feel like it's going to spiral out of control very soon.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Oct 1, 2020 10:44 AM

Aug 2009
Higurashi was one of my first anime. In fact I was looking for a mystery thriller after finishing Death Note back in 2009. A friend recommended it to me by kinda spoiling the
premise but I didnt care. First secs into the series I was ready for a ride that didnt disappoint...well except almost everything after Kai(should I count Umineko too?The anime was hot garbage).

Now it is 2020 the year of the pandemic and seems God Oyashiro-sama has a sense of humor cause we got the remake that wasnt needed. But why should we reject it anyway?

Not much to say beyond that the characters FEEL more lively.
I need to get used to the new designs that look like a hentai BUT when the mood suddenly changes and the design goes full Bakemonogatari(you know which scenes) it fits so fucking much.

Keiichi and Tomitake sounded a bit different but I guess 14~ years do that.

And they did it. They didnt have to do it but they did it for us.They added the og Opening. I had a stupid grin on my face.

The last scene tho...

As an old fan I like that addition but it kinda ruins the reveals later for new people. I am not usre if they want to replace the Deen version or make this something extra.

Either way, as long as I enjoy it I dont mind. I loved the Deen version, just like many others who watched it, and even if this remake surpasses it I will keep rewatching it.

Oct 1, 2020 10:47 AM
Feb 2019
NoviSun said:
Dorkave said:
It looks like a lot of visual novel readers are pretty pissed about the post-credits scene. I have only seen the anime so I have no idea what it's supposed to imply, but if it's already a fuck up, I'm concerned.
The VN readers are always pist and flapping their jaws to everyone’s weariness. If only they had a place of their own they could go and share their wisdom there.

Maybe if studios wouldn't animate like 40 percent content of VNs, us VN readers could shut up, but nah. I actually hoped and expected that the first two episodes will be full of slice of life scenes with obvious foreshadowings. I seriously hoped there would be more episodes given to each arcs, but it seems they're not really gonna give them more episode counts than Deen did either. VN readers can never win with anime adaptations whenever there's something with multiple arcs or routes.
Oct 1, 2020 10:48 AM

Jul 2014
Tomm01p said:
The art:

I'm very sad. Higurashi is a story whose adaptation deserves the best of talent, not a group of people who can't consistently draw faces in ep 1. The character designs suck. At least the story execution does seem fine so far. Besides that one post-credit scene which makes me feel like it's going to spiral out of control very soon.

Bruh. Did you even check the old anime art style? It's straight-up depressing.
Oct 1, 2020 10:48 AM

Nov 2013
Really glad they kept the same voice actors for Higurashi, they really absolutely nailed ‘those moments’ well.
Kenji Kawai for the music again too!

As far as the episode goes...
Looking pretty decent so far, the pacing seems about the same, although the character designs still look weird imo, I’m still too used to the old ones and much prefer them.

Also, that Rika part is definitely new, they really made it obvious huh. Not sure if that’s a good thing.

Also, they chose the OP for the original adaptation to be the ED, what nostalgia!
Oct 1, 2020 10:49 AM
Oct 2020
I'm a HUGE fan of the Visual Novel and I think it's one of the greatest works of fiction ever written. I absolutely despised the original anime adaptation for its awful art, ridiculous ahegao faces and generally feeling like the Teen Titans Go version of Higurashi.

This on the other hand? It's off to a great start! The characters feel more true to form and less flanderized, the art style doesn't make me want to claw my throat out and the atmosphere is on point. I'm optimistic so far- this episode showed they can handle the slice of life portions very well, so I can't wait to see if they can also nail the horror. Also, the two good aspects of the original anime, the voice acting and music, are still here which is great to see.
Oct 1, 2020 10:50 AM
Apr 2020
ChemicalBro said:
Jesus fucking christ, this must be really confusing for new watchers. They didn't establish anything properly and are just rushing through it, dropped at ep 1. This is only the second anime I've dropped so far in my life.

well it is pretty close to the vn even the original anime was doing the same thing just more rushed. What do you expect from episode 1 ?

Dec 2015
HunLepto said:
NoviSun said:
The VN readers are always pist and flapping their jaws to everyone’s weariness. If only they had a place of their own they could go and share their wisdom there.

Maybe if studios wouldn't animate like 40 percent content of VNs, us VN readers could shut up, but nah. I actually hoped and expected that the first two episodes will be full of slice of life scenes with obvious foreshadowings. I seriously hoped there would be more episodes given to each arcs, but it seems they're not really gonna give them more episode counts than Deen did either. VN readers can never win with anime adaptations whenever there's something with multiple arcs or routes.

I'm also a VN reader and i'm a bit annoyed that it's still rushed a bit (at least it's better), but pointing out things to new watchers won't solve anything lmao.
Besides we still don't know what will they do, i'm still hoping they'll give Onikakushi 6 episodes at least ( 6~8 episodes will be great imo), they could've just swapped some things here and there and the next episode will be more SoL and interactions between the club members. (cuz i don't think they make 6 arcs in 1 season like Deen so there gotta be more episodes for each one of the question arcs)
Tsukumo_YuumaOct 1, 2020 10:53 AM

Jul 2014
Since Higurashi is a "classic" and an adaption of a VN on top of that, you will always have people bitching and whining about the tiniest details even if 90% of the episode is done greatly because "muh" nostalgia.

Also, stop making a big deal out of the credit scene, it doesn't mean much without context and you guy are blowing it up out of proportion

Higurashi is almost 15 "VN is 18 years old" years old anime, you are ignorant if you seriously think they repeated the anime in hope of pulling twists and mysteries.

Aug 2017
The post ending kind of gave everything away LOL.

But god damn when the OP came nostalgia came all over again.

Great start.
Oct 1, 2020 10:51 AM
Jun 2016
Tomm01p said:
The art:

Sorry, but am I the only one who doesn't see a problem in the pics you shared?
Like, it's not a crazy good art and/or animation, but does the job pretty well.
May 2015
I was pleasantly surprised by how beautiful the show looked and sounded, but I will not deny that some parts just didn't hit too well with me, don't get me wrong I think there is a ton of promise here but I feel the pacing was way faster than the OG show (Which while it gets praised for it's pacing in an anime style some scenes were no doubt cut and rushed)

Overall I still enjoyed the episode and I'm so glad to see that Higurashi is back.
Oct 2020
FMmatron said:
Tsukumo_Yuuma said:

It's Passione's fault that people cannot shut up and not point out things for new fans? lol

Overthinking source fans have always been stupid "oh the opening spoils this and that" and shit along these lines.

But I guess with pointing this out we make matters worse xD Better tell a mod to delete all posts.

For real though it doesn't spoil anything at all unless you already know what it supposedly "spoils."

Jun 2017
Devil_Slayer said:

The animation was trash even then, but the art style and designs it had were much more fitting of the series than the current ones. And even if you think otherwise, it doesn't really have anything to do with this season looking like trash anyway.

Oct 1, 2020 10:53 AM

Oct 2019
Man, it's been so long since I watched Higurashi! This brings me back so much! This episode was so good!
Oct 1, 2020 10:53 AM
Apr 2020
Devil_Slayer said:
Tomm01p said:
The art:

also the screenshots look fine to me tbh.You dont stop every frame in an anime. With it being much more animated than the original, it is actually neat to have this quality
Oct 1, 2020 10:54 AM

Jun 2017
ShichikaAlter said:

Rika's face in the first picture is under a very strange angle, although now that I look at it, I admit this one is a little bit about me nitpicking.

The second one is worse, the size of Keiichi's eyes and mouth feels super off compared to how big his head is in the image. Rena in the third one just seems like she's on drugs.
Tomm01pOct 1, 2020 10:57 AM

Oct 1, 2020 10:54 AM

Jun 2016
It's so stupid how people complaing about the people complaining are the ones who are giving out spoilers. Everyone who pointed the scene out put what they had to say in [spoiler], myself included, i dont understand the big deal.

If you don't share the same opinion just ignore it instead of going to complain without marking spoilers and names properly.
Oct 1, 2020 10:57 AM

Jul 2014
Tomm01p said:
Devil_Slayer said:

The animation was trash even then, but the art style and designs it had were much more fitting of the series than the current ones. And even if you think otherwise, it doesn't really have anything to do with this season looking like trash anyway.

Umm no? Maybe the fact that the art was so bad at times helped the horror element, but every SoL scene with it looked so boring.

Dunno what is good about this:

They all just look sad or confused which seems to be a running theme with everyone with how Higurashi is supposed to be just depressing to look at.
The art of the anime doesn't resemble the VN in any way in the first place.
Oct 1, 2020 10:58 AM
Jun 2016
Tomm01p said:
ShichikaAlter said:

Rika's face in the first picture is under a very strange angle, although now that I look at it, I this one is a little bit about me nitpicking.

The second one is worse, the size of Keiichi's eyes and mouth feels super off compared to how big his head is in the image. Rena in the third one just seems like she's on drugs.
Personaly I like the first two, but gotta admit that the 3rd one looks a bit sloppy.
Oct 1, 2020 10:59 AM

Apr 2015
Oh boy, This felt so refreshing Visuals wise. As someone who has seen the Original Higurashi, I definitely enjoyed this first episode. Also I'm so glad they kept the original opening because its a banger!
Oct 1, 2020 11:00 AM

Jun 2017
ShichikaAlter said:
Tomm01p said:

Rika's face in the first picture is under a very strange angle, although now that I look at it, I this one is a little bit about me nitpicking.

Personaly I like the first two, but gotta admit that the 3rd one looks a bit sloppy.

Maybe I'm a little hard on the series, who knows, but they all seem off to me. Well, I liked the story content at least.

Oct 1, 2020 11:02 AM

Aug 2020
The way Rena respond to him with her "I don't know" was more terrifying than the 2006 version XD I hope they didn't mess up the creepy look they had in this anime!

The animation is fine for me, I don't know why people complain about it? IK I'M LATE BUT THE OG OPENING HAHAHA MEMORIES GO BRRRR
Oct 1, 2020 11:02 AM
Feb 2019
Tsukumo_Yuuma said:
Dorkave said:
It looks like a lot of visual novel readers are pretty pissed about the post-credits scene. I have only seen the anime so I have no idea what it's supposed to imply, but if it's already a fuck up, I'm concerned.

It's not a big deal really, they are the ones spoiling the new fans by pointing out that scene was a spoiler, tell me you(as a newcomer) did you get anything from the last scene? (other than that she's creepy like what you'll think of most of the character cuz of the first scene)

If this was not a mystery (I actually wonder if Passione even knows that), I wouldn't mind much. The joy of mysteries is that you, the viewer actually don't know the suspect either and can theorize on your own with the gathered evidences in the story, but here, it basically deters you from the suspects you're supposed to focus on and gives you a new suspect that you have no information of. The viewing experience would also be much better if fleshed out information was given instead of just out-of-place scenes like this that just makes new viewers confused and ask themselves "When will that little girl with strange eyez kill everyone? lol".
Oct 1, 2020 11:04 AM
Dec 2017
Soafter that scene with Tomitake and girls being nervous after being asked certain question does are ok, but Rika with a weird stare ruins everything? Come on, this is so insignificant, you just wanted to complain about something.
Oct 1, 2020 11:05 AM
Feb 2017
aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................ the goosebumps, the nostalgia that is Higurashi. How I miss you.
Oct 1, 2020 11:06 AM
Jun 2016
Devil_Slayer said:
Tomm01p said:

Umm no? Maybe the fact that the art was so bad at times helped the horror element, but every SoL scene with it looked so boring.

Dunno what is good about this:

They all just look sad or confused which seems to be a running theme with everyone with how Higurashi is supposed to be just depressing to look at.
The art of the anime doesn't resemble the VN in any way in the first place.

I think that most who watched the original are having a hard time imagining the new style as creepy more than anything since the Og artstyle delivered the horror element quite well. Probably most will get used to it with one ore two episodes in.

I'll start judging better the new artstyle when we get the actual creepy scenes later on.

Oct 1, 2020 11:07 AM

Sep 2018
animefans001 said:
Devil_Slayer said:

also the screenshots look fine to me tbh.You dont stop every frame in an anime. With it being much more animated than the original, it is actually neat to have this quality

Yeah, the art looks fine to me too. I really don't get why people are complaining about it, especially when compared to the VN's original artwork. I mean, just look at those hands.
Oct 1, 2020 11:10 AM

May 2019
It's my first time watching this series and I am very confused lol. I don't know why they're hiding the truth. Welp, it's certainly a unique anime. I'm looking forward to future episodes.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Oct 1, 2020 11:10 AM

Nov 2013
rholeros said:
animefans001 said:

i think you just worry too much bro. Show this to any new comer they wont hv any idea whats about rika. In a mystery show that people kill each other in the first scene every main casts are supposed to be suspected. You can just treat it as a fan service for the old fans because it actually shows nth to the new comers.

Perhaps you are right. I’m letting the perfectionist fan side take over.

We shall see!

No I’m with you, that scene was never in the original adaptation and I’m not sure they should’ve added it. It’s fair that newcomers won’t know anyways, but it definitely gives them more evidence to point to, when they try to piece it together.
A bit of a misstep to add it imo.
Oct 1, 2020 11:11 AM

Apr 2020
I love it. Been a big fan of higurashi. And the style is from one of my favourite studios. So I’m happy with this remake ! Can’t wait to see more
You are not a flower of hell.

Oct 1, 2020 11:11 AM

Jan 2015
That was so nostalgic. Higurashi is back and I didn't really expect it a reboot.
The animation was good but I have to get used in this style, too much moe.
I think this episode will make people go watch the old higurashi and that's nice.
ErnaSBOct 1, 2020 11:39 AM
Oct 1, 2020 11:12 AM

Jul 2014
OweynLupton said:
animefans001 said:

Yeah, the art looks fine to me too. I really don't get why people are complaining about it, especially when compared to the VN's original artwork. I mean, just look at those hands.

Nostalgia factor.
Most of these people probably watched Higurashi in their young days and because that type of art ad visual stick in their mind, they refuse any change to it even if it's for the better.

I am not gonna force my opinion on others, but the original DEEN anime aged terribly and it was pretty low budget work, to begin with and cut a lot and a lot of stuff from the VN so it's not even that good of adaption.
Oct 1, 2020 11:12 AM
Apr 2020
HunLepto said:
Tsukumo_Yuuma said:

It's not a big deal really, they are the ones spoiling the new fans by pointing out that scene was a spoiler, tell me you(as a newcomer) did you get anything from the last scene? (other than that she's creepy like what you'll think of most of the character cuz of the first scene)

If this was not a mystery (I actually wonder if Passione even knows that), I wouldn't mind much. The joy of mysteries is that you, the viewer actually don't know the suspect either and can theorize on your own with the gathered evidences in the story, but here, it basically deters you from the suspects you're supposed to focus on and gives you a new suspect that you have no information of. The viewing experience would also be much better if fleshed out information was given instead of just out-of-place scenes like this that just makes new viewers confused and ask themselves "When will that little girl with strange eyez kill everyone? lol".

Oct 1, 2020 11:19 AM

Dec 2017
rholeros said:
happyfacecool said:
People who keep saying the post credit scenes are spoilers... Really, your comments make it seem more like a spoiler than anything else to new watchers. Knew this would happen where people start making comparisons to plot elements from the original.

You are right.

But thats Passione’s fault for adding something that not even the VN has.

Sure you might not like it, but you should keep it to yourself about saying something is a spoiler. Newcomers don't need to hear this.

HunLepto said:
NoviSun said:

If people want to talk about how something is a spoiler, then just keep it in a spoiler tag. Maybe we should add a separate discussion for discussing these types of things so newcomers don't get affected by VN and anime viewers of the original comparing plot elements and watch it blindly.
Oct 1, 2020 11:20 AM
Oct 2020
HunLepto said:
NoviSun said:

I mean as a fan of the VN I understand that they need to cut a lot of content. The VN is like, 100+ hours long and they don't have the budget to adapt every single bit of it. So they can cut like, the scenes of the kids playing Old Maid and tag for the sake of time. They still served the purpose of introducing all of the characters and their quirks and personalities, so it's alright.
Oct 1, 2020 11:21 AM

Apr 2016
It sure has been a while, I'm starting to feel all those chills again.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
π = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117067982148086513
Oct 1, 2020 11:22 AM
Apr 2016
Rewatched the 1st episode of 2006's one tonight before watching the new Higurashi. Damn the nostalgia!! I loved how they referenced the "card game" of the old episode 1 in the new one!
Oct 1, 2020 11:30 AM
Dec 2013
Lol, they used the original version's OP in the remake!

Mostly the same as the 2006 version's first episode (which I first watched 6 years ago), but I noticed some changes. They didn't play the card game like in the original, but instead they played a game where they have to look for Mion's marker. They also added in a scene where Satoko set some traps, which wasn't in the original but it goes with her character. Haven't read the visual novel, so I have no idea how faithful this adaptation is to the source material.

Looking forward to the next episode.
wildhoodOct 1, 2020 11:40 AM
Oct 1, 2020 11:35 AM
Feb 2019
This episode was great! The post-credit scene surprised me! But with that said, I'm very excited to see how the rest of this turns out!
RxioMar 15, 2021 10:44 AM
Oct 1, 2020 11:38 AM
Aug 2014
this shit slaps. let's go
Oct 1, 2020 11:43 AM

Jul 2017
this is looking like its gonna be a really good re make of the original. im so hype for this!

loved the extra scenes they put in when they were at school. its nice to see them mess around :'D

i wonder if they'll adapt season 2 aswell. it would suck just to leave it at season 1.

Oct 1, 2020 11:44 AM

Apr 2020
Look. A lot of shows are getting remade. It’s just to introduce others to it. Some people don’t like the look of old shows and that’s perfectly fine. We shouldn’t bash the art style because it’s not “the same”. Of course they’re going to add new things aswell. It should be a good thing that higurashi is being remade. It means more fans will get to enjoy it.
You are not a flower of hell.

Oct 1, 2020 11:44 AM

Sep 2016
UnderminE said:
Quick edit: I don't know why both studios cut Keiichi's monologue during the first scene all the time

this is the one thing i'm upset about lmfao
Oct 1, 2020 11:47 AM
Dec 2019
Wow, That first horrible episode took the original story to hell, and it will probably do more of that.
Oct 1, 2020 11:49 AM
Jan 2017
YEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooohoooo i cant stop smiling :D
This shit is so dope. I was very concerned about this remake but dude that first episode was perfect.
Even my doubts regarding the artstyle are gone almost completely.
Reena best girl nuf said cant wait for ep2.
Oct 1, 2020 11:50 AM

Jun 2012
MakiseKuriisu said:
Wow, That first horrible episode took the original story to hell, and it will probably do more of that.

This is an adaptation of the game, not a remake of the anime.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2021

395 by Stinkyanimebrap »»
Mar 19, 9:57 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

314 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2021

323 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 14, 2021

317 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jan 7, 2021

166 by Drinzen »»
Feb 17, 3:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.