Forum Settings
Forums
New
Shonen or seinen
Sep 26, 2020 7:56 PM

Mar 2020
Well my last post was controversial, realized that 5 seconds after posting. And what do you expect, came back an hour later and its locked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. But I still wanted to post something so as an redemption for my controversial post or something I decided to post a (hopefully) non-controversial topic: Seinen or shonen?
汝臣民ノ信仰心ニヨリ、生キ返リマシタ。明治天皇デアリマス。
Sep 26, 2020 8:09 PM

Jul 2016
Seinen because it is more likely to have sex scenes.
Sep 26, 2020 8:09 PM

May 2013
I still don't know what a Seinen is. I was reading Naruto and Kishimoto said that he was struggling to pick between the two, and ended up going Shonen.

I'm a pretty big Shonen fan (my favorite anime is usually the Shonen Jump shit) so yeah I roll wit dat.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Sep 26, 2020 8:15 PM

Aug 2017
xMizu_ said:
I still don't know what a Seinen is.

Seinen is the adult demographic. Shounen is the young boy (12-16 years) demographic. That is the only difference between the two. Personally I like both, as long as the show is good
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2020 8:22 PM

May 2013
assyrian said:
xMizu_ said:
I still don't know what a Seinen is.

Seinen is the adult demographic. Shounen is the young boy (12-16 years) demographic. That is the only difference between the two. Personally I like both, as long as the show is good

Ohh that makes so much sense. Probably the sports mangas and stuff.
I CELEBRATE myself,
Sep 26, 2020 8:23 PM

Dec 2014
I don't know all of what is within a narrative archtype of a Seinen; nonetheless, I like what entertains me, and both can do that just fine regardless of genre, from Hunter x Hunter to Hellsing Ultimate, but I lean towards Seinen because I prefer more mature content, just as the first the first example very much deconstructs the shounen genre.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Sep 26, 2020 8:26 PM

Apr 2010
Shounen. Even though every year the line between Shounen and Seinen keeps getting more blurred with manga like Chainsaw man and Jujutsu Kaisen for example. I read those and was seriously surprised that they could be in Jump with that kind of violence and adult like themes.
Sep 26, 2020 8:28 PM

Jul 2020
I see it as just a 'target audience' term and a loose form of rating stuff / seinen covers more adult & heavier themes than shonen.

But to me it doesn't matter what it's labled bc A shit story is still gonna be a shit story regardless if it's labeled seinen or shonen

HYPED for Monster Hunter Rise! (wish March 26th would come sooner)

---------------------------------------------------------------

I regret to inform you I'm actually terrible at monster hunter lmao
Sep 26, 2020 8:33 PM

Dec 2014
xMizu_ said:
assyrian said:

Yeah, many sports anime very much follow a shounen archtype, but some can also be treated as shoujo, and also the "shoujo demographic" as they very much did after Kuroko no Basket.
Sep 26, 2020 8:35 PM

May 2013
Karote said:
xMizu_ said:

Yeah, many sports anime very much follow a shounen archtype, but some can also be treated as shoujo, and also the "shoujo demographic" as they very much did after Kuroko no Basket.

Yeah hahah that's what he was talking about. Well I think any age can still enjoy Shonen hahah. Or Shoujo.
I CELEBRATE myself,
Sep 26, 2020 8:41 PM

Aug 2018
Both, can’t choose between them. They both have their own unique appeal and set of flaws.
Sep 26, 2020 8:45 PM

Dec 2014
xMizu_ said:
Karote said:

Yeah hahah that's what he was talking about. Well I think any age can still enjoy Shonen hahah. Or Shoujo.
No I'm saying that mordern sport anime are going are adhering to the shoujo genre/demographic as well ^^ Like Kuroko no Basket, haikyuu, Free!, Yuri on Ice!, they all are sports anime but girls love them.

And yes of course, a genre doesn't make a series more mature, neither does a demographic, neither there's an age barrier.
Sep 26, 2020 8:47 PM

May 2013
Karote said:
xMizu_ said:

No I'm saying that mordern sport anime are going are adhering to the shoujo genre/demographic as well ^^ Like Kuroko no Basket, haikyuu, Free!, Yuri on Ice!, they all are sports anime but girls love them.

And yes of course, a genre doesn't make a series more mature, neither does a demographic, neither there's an age barrier.

I fucking hear you man I know what you're saying.

And anyways isn't Free! more of a Yaoi?
I CELEBRATE myself,
Sep 26, 2020 10:37 PM
Mar 2019
Love both. I don't really prefer one over the other since I look after the plot of it more than what genre it is under. Can't change my mind.
Sep 26, 2020 10:56 PM

Jun 2020
seinen because more mature themes

also sex scenes
Sep 26, 2020 11:38 PM

Jun 2019
Shounen can be as enjoyable as seinen, let us stop being elitist for no reason. The distinction really became artificial these days. Compare Berserk to Bleach: I see as much blood in both shows, so it may come to the so-called "maturity" of shows, but Berserk's plot remains quite simple so tell me what is the most mature between cutting huge monsters into pieces through mindless violence and people fighting with swords and katana.

Code Geass manga has the shoujo tag for example...

https://myanimelist.net/manga/1528/Code_Geass__Hangyaku_no_Lelouch

I still vote seinen as it becomes hard to enjoy the same plot the 20th time.
Sep 26, 2020 11:44 PM

Apr 2018
People who think the only difference between shounen and seinen can be on the theme they explore misunderstand the distinction between them. There are a lot of unique works in seinen manga so I choose to read more seinen manga than shounen.
Sep 27, 2020 12:07 AM

Sep 2017
Personally shounen is more enjoyable for me
خ
Sep 27, 2020 3:56 AM
Jul 2018
xMizu_ said:
I still don't know what a Seinen is. I was reading Naruto and Kishimoto said that he was struggling to pick between the two, and ended up going Shonen.

I'm a pretty big Shonen fan (my favorite anime is usually the Shonen Jump shit) so yeah I roll wit dat.

Same. I rarely like seinen, at least if it's that "it's very dark and gritty and I swear it's very adult!"-seinen. Bungou Stray Dogs is surprisingly a seinen, also Houseki no Kuni I think and I really like that. Also I love 3gatsu no Lion, but SOL-seinen are imo often much better than their "dark & gritty" counterpart.
But usually many of my favs are either shounen or they are shoujo or josei anyway.
removed-userSep 27, 2020 4:01 AM
Sep 27, 2020 6:13 AM

Jun 2014
Shounen, as seinen anime/manga are rarely watchable/readable.

Because of this, I usually make it a rule to avoid all seinen works.

Sep 27, 2020 6:16 AM
Jul 2020
Seinen because I'm a edgy teenager that feels the need to assert his M A T U R I T Y.
Sep 27, 2020 6:21 AM

Feb 2015
I tend to prefer Shoneng over Seineng, mang.
Sep 27, 2020 8:27 AM

Mar 2020
Zlyiond said:
Seinen because I'm a edgy teenager that feels the need to assert his M A T U R I T Y.

Look guys! I watch edgy seinen shows! I'm so mature!
汝臣民ノ信仰心ニヨリ、生キ返リマシタ。明治天皇デアリマス。
Sep 27, 2020 8:29 AM
Jul 2020
Asaburo said:
Zlyiond said:

Look guys! I watch edgy seinen shows! I'm so mature!

I watch edgier shows and I’m a edgier teenager. Beat that edge lord 5031!1!!!
Sep 27, 2020 11:05 AM

Dec 2014
IpreferEcchi said:
Seinen because it is more likely to have sex scenes.
Mait, when will you ever lose your virginity?

Don't always take MAL's genre tags seriously, they're BS a lot of the time.
Sep 27, 2020 2:14 PM

Sep 2020
Usually seinen have more liberty in their plot and ideas so it tends to be better.

Shounen = generally guilty of naïve idealistic hot headed MC and over emphasis of friendship POWER, abundance of PLOT ARMOR and long winded dialog mid-battle that drag on and on; seinen = generally have creative ideas, not bound by specific rules, overuse of edgy stuffs like rape and gratuitous violence

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Sep 27, 2020 6:35 PM

Jun 2019
I don't choose anime to watch based on the demographic category it's assigned to. I read the synopsis and have to be attracted by something in the premise. For those which do attract, I may then look into a few other supplementary details about the series, including its length, date, some reviews and/or visuals.

I watch without hesitation and don't have a strong preference for Shounen, Seinen, Shoujo, Josei, or even Kodomo.

But most of what I end up watching probably falls into the Seinen camp because it's probably the most likely to cater to topics and favor approaches which pique my interest. Although that isn't even necessarily because I am now in the actual Seinen demographic as a 20s-aged male. I've had similar interests, passions, and fixations since I was like at least 10 - 12. When I started really getting into horror and war and crime/gangster films and such which would no doubt be classified as "Seinen" were they manga/anime. Yet my #1 favorite anime is a Shounen, and one at that which also has a large fanbase and amount of appeal in the Shoujo demographic audience. So that's why I'm very reluctant to say there's a hard and fast rule.

Out of all the demographics, I think the one I like least would be not Shoujos, but the ultra-generic Shoujo romances with just a bunch of rude and ice cold bishounen and not much appeal or redeeming beyond that.
WatchTillTandavaSep 27, 2020 6:39 PM
Sep 29, 2020 7:29 AM
Jul 2018
Rather have something with action than sex scenes.
Sep 29, 2020 7:32 AM
Jun 2020
Shonen is often more mature which is always appreciated.
Sep 29, 2020 7:43 AM

Dec 2016
I tend to like both but seinen tends to have more unique and interesting stories.
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Sep 29, 2020 11:42 AM

Mar 2016
Seinen for the win>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Sep 29, 2020 12:29 PM

Jun 2020
Both are enjoyable, but I find myself gravitating towards seinen more.

Sep 30, 2020 8:12 AM

Sep 2020
Both have great stories and both are some of my favorite genres of anime, you should be able to enjoy both because some seinen are really shonen and some shonen are really seinen
"If I get reincarnated… I wanna become a clam.” – Monkey D Luffy

More topics from this board

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

10 by Dracowyn »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 3 hours ago

7 by Theo1899 »»
32 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 1 hour ago

2 by LenRea »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 11 hours ago

25 by Dracowyn »»
60 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

674 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.