Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Rent-A-Girlfriend
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 25, 2020 3:11 PM
Jun 2020
this show would be infinitely better if he just realized that ruka-chan existed.
Sep 25, 2020 3:14 PM

Apr 2018
Aight all my homies still hate Mami, but she kinda was spitting facts in that karaoke room.

Man why did kazuya bait us with that confession. Well I guess it's too early for that.

Sumi best girl even tho she only had one episode. :)
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Sep 25, 2020 3:19 PM

Apr 2020
i really love Chizuru, when she standing for Kazuya
Sep 25, 2020 3:24 PM

Jul 2014
Too bad the unlikable moron of a protagonist pretty much ruined what could have been a pretty good show.
Sep 25, 2020 3:31 PM

Apr 2019
Besides episode 1, I think this was my favourite episode.

Good enough series, 7/10. See you all when S2 comes out.
my life was made with mematic.
Sep 25, 2020 3:44 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
This series tries to make you sympathize with the MC, but then he finds a way to fuck it up. He was about to confess to Ruka, but he took it back when he saw Chizuru and Mami. Then he tried to confess to Chizuru, but he ended up making things awkward for both of them. Mami continues to be a bitch to Chizuru, but once again Chizuru stood up took a bullet for Kazuya's fake relationship.

I'm glad this series is getting a second season because Chizuru is best girl.

I give this anime an 8/10.
Sep 25, 2020 3:45 PM

May 2020
Well, this series had the potential of being a good surprise this season, but it didn't sit well with me, mainly beacuse of Kazuya, he's one of the few MC I've atcually hated, he's improved in this end run, but geez... He was awful for the most part, although can I see some hope in the air, for some needed character development, but knowing him, he'll probably disappoint. The girls were ok, Chizuru grew on me after some time, Ruka was my overall favorite, Sumi was ok, she almost didn't appear, but her scenes were a nice change of pace, and Mami that I also quite disliked, is something off about her? Not really, she's a decently build character, but she's just unlikable for me, specially because of that crappy personality of hers. An average anime, could've been better and it can still get better, 5/10 for me.
Sep 25, 2020 4:01 PM

Apr 2015
The date between Chizuru and Mami was pretty awkward at times. Especially when Mami always counters Chizuru's question with another question. These two are not honest with their feelings.

I had a feeling they were going to end it right after that "confession". Kazuya says that he wants Chizuru and immediately ruins that moment again by saing "as a rental".. I was saying the two above are not honest, well this guy is just worse in that regard...

Sadly the chapter I wanted to see adapted will wait for S2, which has already been confirmed! Thank god!

I do have to say, this Anime raises a lot of controvery for myself.. I hate Kazuya's character with a passion.. Can't stand him even for a second despite his actions that were sometimes somewhat redeemable. But he has a lot to grow before I can start liking him.

If it weren't for the girls not you Mami, I would have rated this with a 3 or 4 out of 10. But the girls again, not you Mami definitely made a difference. Especially Chizuru and Ruka. I feel bad for Sumi, she only ever had 1 episode to shine.

8/10 Bring on Season 2 with hopefully more development and more Sumi!!
Sep 25, 2020 4:04 PM

Mar 2016
Stupid, but very entertaining and pleasing to look at. I'll watch the second season, why not.

I feel like Kazuya gets a lot of hate because people don't even bother paying attention to the situations he's put into and they're just angry that he isn't doing the 'badass' stuff that would have prevented the story from getting off the ground in the first place. I certainly don't think he's a bad character, unlike other anime MCs he at least has an independent and understandable psychology (and he displays emotions well). I don't know, I suppose I just don't have much in common with people who use words like 'simp' and 'cringe' in earnest.
syncrogazerSep 25, 2020 4:22 PM
Sep 25, 2020 4:07 PM

May 2020
Man, when I read the manga I find Mami more likeable and want to give her character the benefit of the doubt. I think "oh, people are too hard on her." Then I watch the next anime episode and her anime persona (without any of the manga frames that explain her feelings at least in part) is just bitch. Why must you make it so hard for me to care about you, Mami?

I was proud of Kazuya for wanting to take responsibility for everything...and then he didn't. Kinda a let down, but kinda understandable too...but I want him to be better than what's realistic, ya know?

Mizuhara with one of the most adorable utterances of "Baka" I've ever heard wow kawaii

This season gets a 6/10 with good potential in place to do significantly better next season I think. Kind of like 3D Kanojo...had a rough first season that set up a S2 that was a 9/10 for me.
Is Blue Box my favorite manga? Not yet...Yes. Yes it is. 

Sep 25, 2020 4:12 PM
Aug 2020
Le_Username said:
Well, this series had the potential of being a good surprise this season, but it didn't sit well with me, mainly beacuse of Kazuya, he's one of the few MC I've atcually hated, he's improved in this end run, but geez... He was awful for the most part, although can I see some hope in the air, for some needed character development, but knowing him, he'll probably disappoint. The girls were ok, Chizuru grew on me after some time, Ruka was my overall favorite, Sumi was ok, she almost didn't appear, but her scenes were a nice change of pace, and Mami that I also quite disliked, is something off about her? Not really, she's a decently build character, but she's just unlikable for me, specially because of that crappy personality of hers. An average anime, could've been better and it can still get better, 5/10 for me.

from what i know from someone who show the last chap of manga, i can simplify the mc development with thanos meme "You could not live with your own failure. And where did that bring you? Back to me" You will understand when you see it. Since i already give up & must drop this anime, you can ignore it if you want.
Sep 25, 2020 4:22 PM

Oct 2017
z00nex said:
MegamiRem said:
If u want more of Ruka and Sumi be sure to watch next as there will be lots of focus on them.
Well yes she's the main heroine after all. Btw put your comment in a spoiler box.
Sep 25, 2020 4:36 PM

Aug 2018
“Have a gem of a time with diamond”
What does that mean?
Sep 25, 2020 4:39 PM
Nov 2017
Marinate1016 said:
Honestly this was the best episode. Plenty of Mami, plenty of Ruka. The two best parts of the show for me and what carried it. Idk how this is getting a season 2, I’ll give it a shot along with reading the manga to see if my impression of everything changes, but I found this first season to be garbage. Which is rare for me because I like everything. That said, it was enjoyable.

How is garbage enjoyable lol I stopped watching at episode 9, I hate how many times the Mc makes me cringe, his sex drive is way to high and he’s someone who gets off on fantasizing that his girl was ntrd who does that
Sep 25, 2020 4:45 PM

Apr 2018
God that sucked

Excited for season 2
Sep 25, 2020 4:49 PM

May 2020
rivaldiagt777 said:

from what i know from someone who show the last chap of manga, i can simplify the mc development with thanos meme "You could not live with your own failure. And where did that bring you? Back to me" You will understand when you see it. Since i already give up & must drop this anime, you can ignore it if you want.

Lol. Perhaps I must let it die here then huh? I don't know, I think he can get better, same with the show, or at least I hope, but if he doesn't change and keeps doing the same dumb mistakes every time it will be impossible to continue. That's all my opinion of course.
Sep 25, 2020 4:53 PM

Aug 2018
I sure had my fun with this anime. Normally I don't really like these kind of anime and I tend to avoid these sometimes, but every now and then I just happen to watch these waifu wars induucing anime just for the lulz.

Ruka is the best girl, but I know she won't be the winning girl and honesty, I'm fine with that. She deserves better anyway. I hope to see some more of Ruka and Sumi in season 2.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Sep 25, 2020 5:10 PM

Apr 2019
Not too shabby of a finale.

All in all, it wasn't that bad. Sure I disliked it in the first half, mainly due to Kazuya and his simping ways, but I think it came back around in the second half. So I'm kinda 'alright' with Kazuya and his simping ways now.

Sorta hyped for the second season now that I'm caught up on the manga.
Sep 25, 2020 5:33 PM
Feb 2020
I hope I'm not the only one who had to pause at Mami's singer choices.
Kazuya does have a 'real' girlfriend while 'dating' Mizuhara, Ruka
Sep 25, 2020 5:33 PM

Nov 2008
If you like the series but still hate Kazuya, reading the manga might change your mind. After about 80 chapters, I can say I do like him and I want him and Chizuru to be together. After 115 chapters, I can say I REALLY want them to be together. xD

This adaptation was fine...though I'm disappointed we didn't get to hear Chizuru sing. :[ I wonder if her seiyuu can't...or maybe they just didn't wanna bother with it.

Nefelupitou said:
The saddest thing about this show is that the best girl only had 16 minutes on screen.

I hope they'll adapt her spin-off

Don't worry; she'll get way more in season 2. xD She has some great scenes!! and yeah she is the best girl

ChiibiSep 25, 2020 5:39 PM

Sep 25, 2020 5:42 PM
Feb 2008
I feel sorry for Ruka-chan... She really likes the MC but he is a fucking simp without a single backbone in his body...

Dude doesn't have the balls to tell Chizuru that he loves her, and also doesn't have the balls to break up with Ruka-chan... He had the chance to tell about his feelings but he fucked it up... Urgh...

Hate this kind of MC. I also don't feel like going after the manga to read the rest of the story, so there is that too.

Sep 25, 2020 6:20 PM

Dec 2014
Just when you think Kazuya is about to get in there when he tells Chizuru that he wants her, he decided to back off and downplay what he meant. :(

It was an amusing series on the whole, I don't dislike Kazuya as much but I wouldn't say I particularly like him either. Chizuru carried the show for me and I probably might not have even continued it if it weren't for her.

7/10, will watch S2 for Chizuru of course.
Sep 25, 2020 6:23 PM

Jun 2020
i actually liked ruka at the start, she was so sweet!

and then i laughed when he saw mami & chizuru walking past LOL

chizuru & mami are the best girls for me, their scenes this episode were great i really enjoyed their "chemistry" - more of this pls in season 2!! and hopefully more sumi as well :)

i liked this last episode, left a lot of room for season 2!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Sep 25, 2020 6:30 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
This is one of the few anime that I so dislike the MC that I would not watch Season 2 of this series under any condition. He still mentally abuses Chizuru in every episode. She is the Best Girl and like an above poster says....She carried the show. The MC is so unlikeable that he made the series almost unwatchable. This is not the worst anime that I have seen by a long shot, but the MC has no redeeming features except that I can now say "I am sorry" in Japanese because he whined it in every episode constantly. He never improved himself in personality nor did he "grow up" in not being so selfish about his feelings over other's feelings. 5/10 and that is generous for this series.
Sep 25, 2020 6:44 PM

Jun 2013
The first image in this episode sums up the series pretty well: a trash can filled with tissues saturated with Kazuya's virgin jizz.

Not much has changed: Kazuya's insufferable, Ruka is a sentient doormat, who for some reason despite being beautiful (based on how the men around Kazuya overreact whenever they see her) cannot find anyone better than the MC because she's a brainless slab of meat.

Mami is s way better character than Ruka. In fact, if Chizuru didn't exist, she'd be best girl. It's the same shit being regurgitated over and over again. Some people found out about their fake relationship but nothing has changed. At the end of the day, it's a generic harem.

3/10 for this series. It's higher than it deserves.
臭い-
Sep 25, 2020 6:52 PM

Nov 2008
Catalyze said:
He still mentally abuses Chizuru in every episode. .

Mental abuse?

Are you freaking kidding me?

HOW? I really need you to elaborate on that....cause I don't think we are talking about the same show lol

nor did he "grow up" in not being so selfish about his feelings over other's feelings.

Lolwut. He won't confess to Chizuru BECAUSE he thinks it'd be a burden on her. How is this "selfish"? It's the opposite of selfish.
ChiibiSep 25, 2020 7:19 PM

Sep 25, 2020 6:57 PM

Jun 2020
I did not not like Kazuya much, I honestly found myself frustrated over him at times, but at the same time I found myself enjoying the series because I wanted to see him overcome his negative attributes. As for the other girls, I liked all of their characters (except Mami, since at times I felt she was just a tool rather than a character).

To be frank, I enjoyed the show, maybe a bit more than I was anticipating to be truly honest. I will definitely give season two a watch, which was announced today as well!

Final verdict: 7/10
Have a great day!

Sep 25, 2020 6:58 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I enjoyed seeing Ruka so happy on her date with Kazuya. Wish he would choose her over Chizuru since her feelings are genuine. That confrontation was pretty intense. Tbh I was kinda surprised Kazuya didn't interrupt the confrontation.

The Peggies with their OP, could honestly hear it forever and not get bored. Has a catchy beat imo

Sep 25, 2020 7:00 PM
Oct 2018
Not being a manga reader, I thought they were just going to end it right there and Chizuru wins. That would have been OK with me. But we get a 2nd season. That's OK with me too.

It's no masterpiece, it's a harem show, but I enjoyed watching it. 7/10 for me and I look forwards to S2.
Sep 25, 2020 7:08 PM

Apr 2020
I really don't know if I'm into season 2. Started good, then became very boring.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Sep 25, 2020 7:11 PM
Feb 2019
I think the MC Kazuya reminds us of ourself so much we hate him. A break up can hurt a lot and yes I know it was only for a month but Kazuya is people I know in real life
Sep 25, 2020 7:22 PM

Jan 2011
honestly don't know where to begin with this show we were warned from the start how trash this'd be with the MC and normally i'd be fine with someone like Kazuza but hes those personalities to the extreme i hearing how long this is still going on i dont have a lot of faith he'll actually improve that much which is why i can't trust this 2nd season being that good outside of dragging on without a anime only ending.

i 'v felt so many different emotions from anger ,frustration embassesment laughter and more all in one show all in the name of cute waifus was it worth it? not really but damn did they make them look wonderful so that was one saving grace

and i guess we'll be bless with lots of doujins so there's that

6/10 mainly because Chizuru is too perfect and the rest outside of one are way too precious for this world
Sep 25, 2020 7:26 PM
Jan 2019
Pretty good so far, 7/10. Not gonna lie, this series is getting better. I've seen some many people force me to read the damn manga, i see...

I think i'm going for #TeamChizuru for now. She's a pretty good actor after getting confessed yet still can act like a REAL professional.
Sep 25, 2020 7:37 PM

Jun 2017
As a manga reader I think this adaptation was overall well done. Didn't expect a second season but it's welcome. Hail Sumi!
Sep 25, 2020 7:54 PM
Jul 2020
Great anime, was really shitty for some episodes but now it's getting better. Season 2 is announced! I also want more sumi c;
Sep 25, 2020 8:28 PM

Jul 2020
Farabeuf said:
Beautiful character designs and an interesting premise ruined by a worm of an MC who not even after all this time can muster a proper confession.

if you're going to make women left and right fall for your main character, at least make him a bishounen, give him super powers, sense of humour or some characteristics that would justify his appeal. He doesn't deserve any of them, not even Mami with all her faults.

^^ Exactly my thoughts on this series.

Probably the only episodes I enjoyed was the first and the last one. Going to the show, I really liked the initial concept since the whole 'Rental-Girlfriend' has never been done before in an anime (If I'm not mistaken). And the character designs looks really good. But as the show progresses, I just can't sympathize with the main character at ALL.

Gonna give this one a 5/10. It had it's moments but I can't really say its good.

I just hope the second season would be a lot better than this one.

I accept random friend requests!
Sep 25, 2020 8:31 PM

May 2020
can anyone tell me why ppl hate this show? i hate reviews that is in essay form lol its not that deep but i am curious to know why
Sep 25, 2020 8:34 PM

May 2019
Maybe it's because this season was pretty average, but for some reason, I genuinely really liked this anime. To me, the characterisation and worldbuilding both felt original and fresh, with nuanced motivations steering the plot and characters.

8/10
liam0207Sep 26, 2020 6:51 AM

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Sep 25, 2020 8:41 PM

Feb 2008
Only reason I enjoyed this show was because of the voice actresses. Also, team Ruka and Sumi all the way.

Hated the MC as the majority, irritated me to no end and had some awkward moments too. But as bad as a character that I think he is, this show wouldn't be as fun I guess. Nice art, nice animation, a very entertaining show.

I am part of the people that enjoyed Mami, and she deserved more screentime. Made the episodes more spicy. I think Sumi deserved two more episodes to be honest. Gonna watch second season for more Sumi, because Mizuhara is nice and all, but she's way too good for this protag.

5/10
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Sep 25, 2020 8:48 PM
Apr 2014
Does anyone know what the insert song at the end of the episode was? Sounded like Amamiya Sora.
Sep 25, 2020 9:03 PM

Sep 2010
Surprised how many people are saying they liked the ending. I liked the show up until now, but hated this ending. I guess it's not as bad since there will be a season 2, but still thought it was a terrible episode.
Sep 25, 2020 9:37 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013

Now I wait for S2 and more of Chizuru/Ruka/Sumi...and pray for less of Mami
Sep 25, 2020 9:39 PM
Mar 2014
I hate cliffhangers smh but well Mami knows the secret now and things are starting to take a turn. Sit back and relax for season 2 I suppose.. is what I would of said a few years back with my anime only self but I'm getting right into it with the manga because suspense kills me
Sep 25, 2020 9:43 PM
May 2017
So Mami shows some balls and actually confronts Mizuhara head-on, sparing the threats or blackmail. Yet, our main character spends over half the episode hiding, crying, quivering, and unable to freaking say a single fucking thing to any girl without cutting off mid sentence or playing it off right away. I get that there's a second season coming where this dude's tests will finally drop, but honestly, I personally find it a little hard to see him be so damn spineless even in the last episode of the season.
BliskSep 25, 2020 10:30 PM
Sep 25, 2020 9:56 PM

Oct 2016
Nice, I enjoyed that last episode. You were so close Ruka but, alas Kazuya was reminded of his feelings.

That mention of halca and the peggies though lmao that was great. What exactly is it that Mami wants though.

Goddamnit Kazuya you were so close to being a man, but you backed down at the last second. Can't wait for season 2 though I'll probably go ahead and read the manga I've been itching to read it.
Sep 25, 2020 10:28 PM
Apr 2019
This episode makes me want to transport into Berserk World. She deserves some "teaching" from Griffith. Just kidding, but I really don't like her.

This anime adaptation is good enough to cater Season 2. I'm really excited for adaptation of the next parts. This is another anime to end this Summer 2020 after Oregairu and Food Wars.
Sep 25, 2020 10:34 PM
Dec 2017
Natsude_tanaka said:
can anyone tell me why ppl hate this show? i hate reviews that is in essay form lol its not that deep but i am curious to know why

Because of the MC - they say he is too pathetic and doesn't get better. But i think that he's very relatable (or at least partially). And maybe because they recognized themselves in him they hate him?
Sep 25, 2020 10:36 PM
Jan 2016
Haha, for the first time in this anime series, I agree with Mami, yeah I think she's wise to say that Chizuru must stop lying, stop pretending, because there's nothing good in it. And Kazuya, please become a strong-hearted man, don't easily fall for every cute girls...it's not love, man, it's just lust...that Chizuru-Mami's scene is iconic I thing, yeah, Kazuya is a really lucky boy, really lucky, to even make girls stand up for him...And yeah, Chizuru is just perfect, I agree with Kazuya, she's just a perfect girl, just well-balanced, haha...or I must say that Chizuru is perfect because she knows what, when, and where to do things, she can learn the condition supef fast and perfect...If I become Kazuya, I'll absolutely go for Chizuru, haha, mark my words...why we must bother to love another people who doesn't even loving us?
Sep 25, 2020 10:42 PM

May 2020
Sondfer said:
Natsude_tanaka said:

Because of the MC - they say he is too pathetic and doesn't get better. But i think that he's very relatable (or at least partially). And maybe because they recognized themselves in him they hate him?

but that shouldnt be the focal point to hate this anime because without him they will not have a story to tell
Sep 25, 2020 10:46 PM

Aug 2008
I lol'd at the mention of The Peggies and Halca.

Mami may be worst girl, but she's what makes this show so exciting. The episodes with Mami in it are the best episodes. Too bad Sumi isn't really in the last episode.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2020

311 by zainaAlizzy »»
Apr 10, 3:36 PM

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RegulusX - Jul 17, 2020

294 by afromarco005 »»
Apr 9, 9:32 AM

Poll: » overhated, overlooked, and genuinely a real depiction of romance. ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Nov 1, 2023

79 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 26, 9:05 AM

» What if Rent a girlfriend had Good story, Good romance and Good character development ( 1 2 )

Reckless_weeb - Mar 6

54 by kurayamiberkay »»
Mar 22, 10:06 AM

» Do Japanese men are really like this?

mufarari - Mar 8

13 by KayKimii »»
Mar 19, 4:21 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.