Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 30, 2020 2:11 PM

Mar 2018
Children, that is the answer to your question. As for myself I've tendencies to have a beer from time to time, although getting drunk on wine is not uncommon during gatherings.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 30, 2020 2:47 PM

Jul 2010
Simply not interested. I have enough bad habits on me lmao
Sep 30, 2020 2:54 PM

Mar 2008
@Ryuk9428
It's common for "ecstasy" tabs to actually be something else so it's possible it wasn't MDMA. Also the ecstasy tabs don't allow for proper dosing like with molly.

@Ghemotoc
Your assumption is correct however that graph modified some things. There is some stupid reasons in that study that include things like harm to the economy and inhibition of cognitive functions that are part of the experience of some drugs.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285843262_Drug_harms_in_the_UK_A_multi-criterion_decision_analysis
Sep 30, 2020 6:48 PM

Mar 2019
traed said:
@Ryuk9428
It's common for "ecstasy" tabs to actually be something else so it's possible it wasn't MDMA. Also the ecstasy tabs don't allow for proper dosing like with molly.

@Ghemotoc
Your assumption is correct however that graph modified some things. There is some stupid reasons in that study that include things like harm to the economy and inhibition of cognitive functions that are part of the experience of some drugs.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285843262_Drug_harms_in_the_UK_A_multi-criterion_decision_analysis

Yeah once you break it down it makes a lot more sense. The drug specific, drug related, and dependence scores for heroin, crack, and meth are all higher than it is for alcohol.

I do think they might be underestimating the danger of powder cocaine although most cocaine deaths might be attributable to crack instead of powder.

Tobacco is definitely one of the most absurdly addictive drugs I’ve ever seen. You literally can’t smoke cigarettes on a regular basis without getting addicted.

Yeah it might’ve been bunk ecstasy mixed with something else. Still though people do die, although rarely, from MDMA alone so it’s not like marijuana which can’t kill you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2020 6:52 PM

Oct 2013
I instinctively avoid drinking anything that'll potentially cause me to blow huge chunks if I end up having a bit too much...Past experiences.....
Sep 30, 2020 7:29 PM

Aug 2017
all hidamari sketch fans drink. being drunk is the upmost way to enjoy the show
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2020 11:36 PM

Aug 2017
Non-drinker weeb here! I've had drank beer twice as adult and blue vine once when I had 17 and it was disgusting so I definitely don't like alcohol. I love water, it's healthier. And no, im not underaged, im an adult.
NurguburuOct 1, 2020 12:13 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 1, 2020 1:44 AM

May 2018
I dont like the taste of Alchol but in my country some would b suprised/shocked if I mentioned I dont drink which I dont give a toss

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Oct 1, 2020 2:24 PM

Oct 2017
Noboru said:
Bunille said:
I've had a few drinks of various kinds of alcohol, I can say that it tastes shit lol. Punch is the only good stuff but I can live on water and wouldn't complain one bit.
The noise of my block mates when I'm trying to work or sleep has given me a breakdown already.
I'd much rather drink something with more benefits to the body. It's incredibly expensive as well. I'd rather buy a years supply of milk than one bottle of alcohol.
I'm glad you haven't developed a taste for alcohol. I'm curious, but is "punch" in English also an alcoholic beverage?
Go complain to your dorm's administration. It's not you who has to adjust to others, it's them who have to adjust to basic manners.
They say that alcohol in small amounts is good for the heart, but then again, even small amounts of alcohol are harmful for the memory and linked to a higher risk of cancer
As long as you can drink (cow) milk, go ahead! ^^
Punch is basically a fruity drink. I'm not exactly sure what alcohol was in the one I had that day, but it was cherry and tasted great.
I've never liked fermented or dried food, more to add to my nonexistent list.
Yeah, I agree. My mother decided to pester some staff through emails and kept on going on about how she hasn't heard back from them yet. Everything's been sorted for now, at least. My dorm is being moved further away from the common room instead of behind its thin wall, and it's illegal to make incredibly loud noise after 11 pm (which lucky they do every other day, but not enough). I don't mind if I can hear them slightly, as long as it's not louder than a regular decibel voice in the same room, which it's usually even louder than that since they yell.
Pff, one thing does not make up for every other consequence. Go eat literally anything else. Dark chocolate is good for the heart... or you eat fruit.
It's okay, I'm amnesiac enough anyway without the alcohol. I don't even want to get drunk, I'd probably try to hurt myself.
What about goats milk? You can't forget the allies.
Oct 1, 2020 6:01 PM

Jul 2011
I suppose I also play into the anime fan = non-drinker stereotype.

As to the reason why...the answer is very simple, but extremely anticlimactic to anyone who has asked me: I've never had any interest in drinking.
Check out my anime reviews or my pet will get you: Mezase Pokémon Master
Oct 1, 2020 6:07 PM

Sep 2018
I avoid drinking because I do not want to take legal consequence for anything I do while drunk. Besides that I do not care to go to social events or parties.
Oct 2, 2020 6:47 AM

Oct 2012
I tend to have a few beers a week. When I was younger, going on a rager was pretty common (I live in Atlantic Canada so it's pretty much the norm here) but now it's not as often. I tend to more stick to finding new beers and having one or two, and since I genuinely enjoy the taste of beer finding new ones is alot of fun for me.
Oct 2, 2020 9:08 AM

Nov 2013
Noboru said:

Mummykun said:
Yeah, me too, basically. I also do not mind alcohol in chocolate, but I really only drank alcohol, accidentally, twice in my entire life. The first time was when I was around five years old and drank a lot of alcohol from a bottle in one gulp believing it was water, which was very problematic, and the second time was when I was twelve and drank a bit of wine at a party believing it was grape juice.
I do have some vices that I have to deal with, but alcoholic drinks have really never aroused my interest.
Uff, sounds like you had some very bad experiences with alcohol :(
I'm glad that I could distinguish alcohol from non-alcoholic beverages and paid attention

Alcohol is made from having fruits rotten, so the image is not appealing at all to me xD
What vices if it's not too personal or private?

The first time, it wasn't an alcoholic drink, but actual alcohol that we normally use to disinfect things, so it was bad. But the second time, my older sister was with me and said it was wine a moment after I put the glass on my mouth, so it wasn't relevant.
I don't mean serious vices, but just bad habits, I think. Every now and then I find myself thinking that this time for sure I'll stop drinking coffee, but then I end up drinking a lot of it on the same day.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Oct 2, 2020 4:21 PM

Aug 2020
i have a weak stomach. On top of getting sick from most things i eat, i just couldnt stand the stomachaches and hangovers from drinking anymore.
Oct 3, 2020 6:04 AM

Jan 2009
@Mummykun: This sounds very bad, you could have stayed poisoned
I'm glad that the second time wasn't that problematic
I see, thanks
Coffee is indeed a drug, but I'm never affected by it, because I've been used not to rely on it to make myself awake
Have you tried it with black tea?

@Bunille: Ah okay, thanks
Still, it seems like overly sweet drinks are just there to trick people into drinking more. Even if the alcohol in an alcoholic punch is weak, it will be problematic with more drinks

That's good that your mother fights for you and good luck on your move ^^

Dark chocolate is good for the heart... or you eat fruit.
Why not both? :D

Yes, it's for the better that you don't drink, especially, when you could also hurt yourself involuntarily

Goats milk is nice :D
I was mentioning cow milk, because that's the standard milk
Goats milk is better to digest from what I've heard and has more calcium
What about other drinks? There are so many alternative drinks that you get lots of non-alcoholic variety
Oct 3, 2020 8:24 AM

Oct 2017
Noboru said:
@Bunille: Ah okay, thanks
Still, it seems like overly sweet drinks are just there to trick people into drinking more. Even if the alcohol in an alcoholic punch is weak, it will be problematic with more drinks

That's good that your mother fights for you and good luck on your move ^^

Dark chocolate is good for the heart... or you eat fruit.
Why not both? :D

Yes, it's for the better that you don't drink, especially, when you could also hurt yourself involuntarily

Goats milk is nice :D
I was mentioning cow milk, because that's the standard milk
Goats milk is better to digest from what I've heard and has more calcium
What about other drinks? There are so many alternative drinks that you get lots of non-alcoholic variety
That's okay, I don't plan on drinking any more anyway. I have enough fruit water and such.
More like 'Karen'ing, to be honest.
Milk was an example, I don't drink it that much tbh.
Oct 3, 2020 10:36 AM

Nov 2013
Noboru said:
@Mummykun: This sounds very bad, you could have stayed poisoned
I'm glad that the second time wasn't that problematic
I see, thanks
Coffee is indeed a drug, but I'm never affected by it, because I've been used not to rely on it to make myself awake
Have you tried it with black tea?

It's very wise of you to be able not to rely on coffee. In my case it's even a bit worse than just using coffee as a means to stay awake, though. I usually drink coffee while I'm studying in order to feel less anxious. I've noticed that, at least in my case, coffee only works to make me stay awake for more time with more energy when I drink a lot of it after some days without drinking any at all.
No, I've never tried it with black tea. I always only drink pure coffee, without sugar or anything.
Are you a tea person, then?
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Oct 4, 2020 3:08 AM

Jun 2019
73% people here do not drink. That is quite interesting.

I will not shoot myself in the foot by damaging my intellectual abilities, and latter on my body and health.
Oct 4, 2020 6:29 AM

Jan 2009
Bunille said:
That's okay, I don't plan on drinking any more anyway. I have enough fruit water and such.
I'm pleased to hear that :)
Though what if people you go outside with insist on you drinking something? Do you have an excuse/explanation you could use or will you just strongly say "no" to alcohol?
Fruit water = juice?
lol, Karen'ing xD Still one good application for it
Fair enough; what's your favourite drink?

Mummykun said:
It's very wise of you to be able not to rely on coffee. In my case it's even a bit worse than just using coffee as a means to stay awake, though. I usually drink coffee while I'm studying in order to feel less anxious. I've noticed that, at least in my case, coffee only works to make me stay awake for more time with more energy when I drink a lot of it after some days without drinking any at all.
No, I've never tried it with black tea. I always only drink pure coffee, without sugar or anything.
Thank you ^^
Yes, I am a tea person
Black tea has a similar, strong effect as coffee, but taste-wise, I prefer green teas nowadays
I also prefer coffee pure, but only one cup here and there and only with sweets. Otherwise, I can drink black with nothing, but I prefer at least milk
What do you mean with your sentence here?
I've noticed that, at least in my case, coffee only works to make me stay awake for more time with more energy when I drink a lot of it after some days without drinking any at all.
Oct 4, 2020 6:42 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
I don't go to parties or stuff, yet I'd say I consume alcohol on a regular basis. Not daily, but at least once a week. I used to hate alcohol, but since I'm older it helps me relaxing after a stressful week, preferably mixed whiskey or rum, but also very sweet drinks like Irish cream.

Is it healthy? Of course not, but since I never drink so much that I get drunk it's also not too bad. In fact, I've never been drunk in my life, so I say I can control myself very well.

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Oct 4, 2020 7:05 AM

Jan 2012
Tried and dont fancy drinking it. I would rather drink fizzy juice to make up for it

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
Oct 4, 2020 7:11 AM

Oct 2017
Noboru said:
Bunille said:
I'm pleased to hear that :)
Though what if people you go outside with insist on you drinking something? Do you have an excuse/explanation you could use or will you just strongly say "no" to alcohol?
Fruit water = juice?
lol, Karen'ing xD Still one good application for it
Fair enough; what's your favourite drink?

I'm not entirely sure. I like trying out new things so I wouldn't turn down the offer, but it probably depends on my behaviour at that moment. I'm not really someone to say no to something.
Nope, flavoured water. They come with the deal with my meals.
Hmm, actually, I don't really have a favourite. I usually drink water since it's free. My favourite drinks would probably be hot chocolate, mango juice, and oreo milkshake.
Oct 4, 2020 7:24 AM

Jul 2015
traed said:
@Ryuk9428

@Ghemotoc

Most results make sense, but...
Weed, more addictive than alcohol? Where? When? I smoke A LOT (you see these documentaries with young adults telling how smoking 1 joint/day of weak ass resin bought in their suburbs ruined their lives? Yeah I'm dying of laughter everytime I see those), and I stop smoking twice/year for a good month. It's hard to sleep for a week, but besides that, I feel great when I do.
Unless the study is conflating pshychological and physical addiction, wich would be dumb af.

Also, not surprised at LSD and shrooms danger. I know they're mostly harmless, but I can't help remember that friend who reappeared one day with his personality totally wiped.
Oct 4, 2020 9:04 AM

Aug 2018
Medical stuff makes me more inclined to not drink, for example being allergic to yeast (therefore, can't drink beer/wine). I can only really drink spirits, and when I and my friends do, I'm the one who has to look after them..

I don't really have people to go out with these days, most of my friends have gone to jobs around the country. No fun to go out on my own and trying to chill in a club, would make me feel awkward. And Covid is making parties kinda hard here..
Oct 4, 2020 9:06 AM

Jul 2019
As a British Northman, I'd be more worried if I DIDN'T drink.
Oct 4, 2020 11:05 AM

Aug 2020
Where did you get this from? Did you conduct a survey to see what percentage of people of anime fans drink and how many don't drink?
Oct 4, 2020 8:36 PM

Mar 2008
Ghemotoc said:
traed said:
@Ryuk9428

@Ghemotoc

Most results make sense, but...
Weed, more addictive than alcohol? Where? When? I smoke A LOT (you see these documentaries with young adults telling how smoking 1 joint/day of weak ass resin bought in their suburbs ruined their lives? Yeah I'm dying of laughter everytime I see those), and I stop smoking twice/year for a good month. It's hard to sleep for a week, but besides that, I feel great when I do.
Unless the study is conflating pshychological and physical addiction, wich would be dumb af.

Also, not surprised at LSD and shrooms danger. I know they're mostly harmless, but I can't help remember that friend who reappeared one day with his personality totally wiped.

Dependence isn't quite same as addiction. I think it may be psychological dependence rather than physical maybe. Doesn't make sense though since both alcohol and cannabis are used as crutches for issues like anxiety and depression but alcohol it's additionally used as a social aid plus there is physical dependence where you literally can die if you're alcoholic and stop deinking cold turkey. I find it odd that the study doesnt go into detail. I have a copy from another source and it's no more detailed. So yeah I dont get it either. I can't say for sure what happened to your friend. Maybe serotonin syndrome or it was NBOMe not LSD or it was an interaction with a medication or an insanely high record breaking dose or an underlying mental illness like schizophrenia and what you saw was blunted affect a symptom. I also while incertain am skeptical how it placed GHB as more dangerous than benzodiazepines. I assume that was inflated by alcohol because GHB is naturally present in some alcohol such as certain wines.
traedOct 5, 2020 12:17 AM
Oct 4, 2020 9:15 PM

Apr 2008
I drink maybe once a month now if that. Not as munch or as frequently as when I was younger when I could drink two bottles of wine or 10 or more drinks. I can't drink as much now due to medicines and because I recently was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and can't drink as much due to it, plus I am getting older.

My dad is a hardcore alcoholic and it was horrible living with him. He still is even in his 70's though now he is more into the weed game lmao. He started giving alcohol to my brothers and I very young so I think I am just tired of alcohol as well. Plus I don't want to end up like my father who is suffering from long term side effect due to it.
SevenOct 4, 2020 11:51 PM
Oct 4, 2020 11:17 PM

Dec 2018
I think the premise is a big assumption, as I don't see any reason why the proportion of drinkers to non-drinkers among anime watchers would be more skewed towards non-drinkers compared to other populations. In fact, I'm inclined to believe the slight opposite, as I think a beer and an anime at night are a good combination. As a side personal anecdote, when I turned 21, the first thing I did was go to the local store to grab some sake, as I had never tasted sake before. Needless to say, it was disgusting and I never drank sake again. I would say that my level of alcoholism has varied; there were times where I drank a bottle a day, with hard cider being my preferred beverage. However, the cycles between the endorphin induced euphoria followed by hangover finally convinced me to cease the habit, that and the realization that alcohol was just an unnecessary expense financially. Since then, my alcohol usage tapered over time until I wasn't consuming any, and it wasn't a conscious decision to quit or anything; I had simply ceased to find purpose in drinking, so I guess now you could say I'm a non-drinker, though my answer would've changed depending on when you ask the question.
"I saw the Emperor - this soul of the world - go out from the city to survey his reign; it is a truly wonderful sensation to see such an individual, who, concentrating on one point while seated on a horse, stretches over the world and dominates it."
Oct 6, 2020 5:44 AM

Jan 2009
Bunille said:
I'm not entirely sure. I like trying out new things so I wouldn't turn down the offer, but it probably depends on my behaviour at that moment. I'm not really someone to say no to something.
Nope, flavoured water. They come with the deal with my meals.
Hmm, actually, I don't really have a favourite. I usually drink water since it's free. My favourite drinks would probably be hot chocolate, mango juice, and oreo milkshake.
Oh okay, then
Still: you have the option to say "no", which is highly recommended in situations in which you would need a clear mind or for medical reasons. But since you've already tried alcohol here and there, it should be alright if you can trust the people who are with you

Oh cool, getting free drinks sounds like a good thing ^^
Flavoured water like these Volvic waters?

Hot chocolate and mango juice are definitely awesome :D
I also like tomato and sauerkraut juice, but I barely drink them
Is the Oreo milkshake powdered with milk to fill in yourself or already ready-made in a Tetra Pak?
Oct 6, 2020 8:03 AM

Oct 2010
I don't handle alcohol well. I get shitface drunk off of half a glass of wine at dinner, two sips of wine is enough to make me so dizzy I struggle to make it to the bathroom. It's as if my body doesn't even process alcohol or something. People never believe me when I tell them about it...until they see it. Needless to say, I rarely drink as a result.
Oct 6, 2020 11:16 PM
Oct 2020
Pharmacology research writing services are essential for pharmacology coursework writing service learners and Pharmacology Writing Services seekers.
https://researchpapers247.com/pharmacology-writing-services/
Oct 7, 2020 8:36 AM

Mar 2019
Energized said:
Where did you get this from? Did you conduct a survey to see what percentage of people of anime fans drink and how many don't drink?

What do you think this poll is 😂 . I’d say I have pretty solid evidence right now.
Oct 11, 2020 5:20 PM

Nov 2013
Noboru said:

Mummykun said:
Thank you ^^
Yes, I am a tea person
Black tea has a similar, strong effect as coffee, but taste-wise, I prefer green teas nowadays
I also prefer coffee pure, but only one cup here and there and only with sweets. Otherwise, I can drink black with nothing, but I prefer at least milk
What do you mean with your sentence here?
I've noticed that, at least in my case, coffee only works to make me stay awake for more time with more energy when I drink a lot of it after some days without drinking any at all.

I meant to say that, for example, supposing that it's already been a week since the last time I drank a cup of coffee, if I decide to drink many cups of coffee today I'll feel very energetic and I'll be able to stay awake for many more hours than usual, but if I drink a lot of coffee tomorrow, the coffee won't give me the same effect, and it will just make me feel sadder with more anxiety, without allowing me to be able to stay awake for more time.
― Saint Augustine
Oct 12, 2020 6:51 AM

Jan 2009
Mummykun said:
I meant to say that, for example, supposing that it's already been a week since the last time I drank a cup of coffee, if I decide to drink many cups of coffee today I'll feel very energetic and I'll be able to stay awake for many more hours than usual, but if I drink a lot of coffee tomorrow, the coffee won't give me the same effect, and it will just make me feel sadder with more anxiety, without allowing me to be able to stay awake for more time.
Oh okay, thanks for clarifying
Yes, this is a generic effect with drugs and drug-like highs. The effects grow stronger with absence than being under influence lots of the time
But in any case, every kind of drug (even coffee and sugar) is ultimately bad for the mind
NoboruOct 12, 2020 1:11 PM
Oct 12, 2020 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
I won't drink unless it is a social occasion.

But on those social occasions (usually 2 times a month), I'll down anything and everything. On average I'll go through 6 cans or a third of a bottle of spirits, that doesn't include shots and alcohol consumed in drinking games.

I used to be extremely anti-alcohol before I turned 18. Then once I had a few drinks at a Party I learned that it removed my social anxiety, and actually successfully flipped the social stigma of me being anti-social at school. I also became friends with the people I'd use to be silently pissed off at school, I learned that they were actually pretty cool and chill guys/girls.

While there are certainly negatives, and you definitely need to learn when to stop and control yourself (I learned that after downing a full bottle of vodka, I completely blacked out). Drinking in your 20's as a way to socialise is a perfectly normal thing to do. As for me, weirdly enough, it made me a better human being.
removed-userOct 12, 2020 7:10 AM
Oct 13, 2020 5:22 AM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:
Alcohol is a "social" thing, and many of us here on MAL are antisocial in real life.

I'm 32, and I've never tasted alcohol in my life.

If anything I'd say the ratio of socialite drunkards to introvert drunkards is fairly even. Among all the shut-ins I've known throughout life, alcohol abuse has been extremely common.
Oct 13, 2020 5:38 AM

Aug 2009
Right Stuf got more money from me than a liquor store probably ever will.

Oct 13, 2020 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
FacelessVixen said:
Right Stuf got more money from me than a liquor store probably ever will.

Oh my god. I just imagined all the anime I could buy with the money I spent on alcohol for the last 3 years.
Oct 13, 2020 9:19 PM

Jun 2014
Why drink alcohol when you have anime?
Oct 16, 2020 7:58 AM

May 2012
I find it appropriate to answer this thread while drinking my (premade) mojito. Not really a drinker, but throughout the years I gradually developed an interest towards alcohol. I used to be in the "alcohol tastes bad" camp then someone introduced me to the beauty of cocktails and now I love them. I generally like sweets, so sweet liquor is a fun way to get drunk. None of those beers and wine please. Beers taste like piss, and by the time you feel tipsy, you feel bloated already. Nuh-uh. Gin and vodka is where it's at imo.

I made some good friends with the bartenders at my last workplace and I got fascinated with the art of mixing drinks. They taught me a lot of pointers and I find myself casually reading books about bartending from time to time. Hopefully, I want to start mixing real drinks soon.

Also, I realized browsing MAL forums mildly inebriated is an experience in itself. Highly recommended to others
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What age range do you find the most physically attractive?

Ejrodiew - Apr 11

27 by deg »»
3 seconds ago

» You been a mod or adminstrator of any website?

DesuMaiden - Apr 7

30 by Fleeting_Dream »»
19 seconds ago

» How do you process death?

Lightskynight - Apr 14

19 by Kamikaze_404 »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you ever miss old/former online friends?

pludel2 - Apr 10

37 by Lightskynight »»
18 minutes ago

» Akira Toriyama or Hayao Miyazaki

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 14

13 by Serafos »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.