Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online Progressive (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 20, 2020 8:19 AM

Aug 2017
Aren't they just gonna show us pretty much s1 with small changes? it says they will show everything from the beginning so the s1 wasnt from the beginning?
Im confused
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 20, 2020 8:25 AM

Jan 2020
It's basically a detailed retelling of Aincrad Arc with much more of Kirito Asuna's moments. It won't be rushed like the original one looks ke time skip and all rather it'll show boss battles. It also fixes most of the issues from the Original SAO. In least words, Upgraded First cour of SAO
Sep 20, 2020 8:25 AM

Dec 2017
The original anime had a lot of romance and timeskips in it. This is probably going to be more detailed and more in-line with the manga or something. I'd imagine it's going to be like FMA: Brotherhood, basically, which sounds promising.

I enjoyed the video games as well, which explored what it would be like if they didn't beat the creator so early and had to finish all 100 floors proper. This could be a similar version to that as well if it's not just a lazy reboot.
Sep 20, 2020 8:26 AM
Nov 2017
Sword Asuna Online
Sep 20, 2020 4:04 PM

Aug 2017
Galvanometer said:
It's basically a detailed retelling of Aincrad Arc with much more of Kirito Asuna's moments. It won't be rushed like the original one looks ke time skip and all rather it'll show boss battles. It also fixes most of the issues from the Original SAO. In least words, Upgraded First cour of SAO

ahh i see welp i guess i can skip this im not too interested in their relationship
Sep 20, 2020 4:20 PM
Mar 2019
ItzYaBoiSatan said:
Galvanometer said:

ahh i see welp i guess i can skip this im not too interested in their relationship

Progressive doesn't just show their relationship and boss battles. It also gives an explanation as to how/why Kirito god so ungodly powerful and much more plot points to improve on the story somewhat as this is a reboot made by Reki Kawahara years after the original after he got much better at storytelling.
Sep 20, 2020 4:44 PM
Nov 2014
Hahaha that title was basically my immediate reaction. So they're pulling a hxh/FMA sort of thing? I've watched them all so far so I'm sure I'll watch this too
Sep 20, 2020 5:34 PM

Aug 2017
HeXaNiCaL said:
ItzYaBoiSatan said:

Progressive doesn't just show their relationship and boss battles. It also gives an explanation as to how/why Kirito god so ungodly powerful and much more plot points to improve on the story somewhat as this is a reboot made by Reki Kawahara years after the original after he got much better at storytelling.

thats nice idk this show kinda showed us what we needed to see so unless you really want the details on their relationship and kiritos strength its not really worth watching. I might watch it unless they make this 99% old scenes 1% new scenes then its just a waste of time for me at least
Sep 20, 2020 5:41 PM
Jul 2018
Notto dis shittu again
Sep 20, 2020 5:42 PM
Mar 2019
ItzYaBoiSatan said:
HeXaNiCaL said:

thats nice idk this show kinda showed us what we needed to see so unless you really want the details on their relationship and kiritos strength its not really worth watching. I might watch it unless they make this 99% old scenes 1% new scenes then its just a waste of time for me at least

100% gonna be new animated scenes. There is definitely not enough content from the original series to reuse so much because of all the timeskips that took place. Nearly all of progressive would be new content.
Sep 20, 2020 5:43 PM

May 2010
Is this a re-write from the author, or is this just a more detailed adaption of what he wrote the first time? Or, just adding original content to flesh it out?
“Money can't buy dere”
Sep 20, 2020 6:07 PM

Jul 2016
TenRX said:
Notto dis shittu again
here we go again(hack is trash)

Sep 20, 2020 11:52 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
ItzYaBoiSatan said:
Galvanometer said:

And that's the problem. A majority of these action-focused anime give little to character development or the development between characters. There are many mindless fighting anime out there, SAO is at least creative enough to not only have fighting but focus on the romance between characters of the opposite sex that isn't full of awkwardness or nothingness. Without that, it is literally a cookie cutter MMORPG/reincarnation/from another world anime - one in a massive list of them. Unique is better than typical in a market oversaturated with garbage Isekai/isekai-esque anime.
Sep 21, 2020 1:47 AM

Apr 2016
Seabury said:
Is this a re-write from the author, or is this just a more detailed adaption of what he wrote the first time? Or, just adding original content to flesh it out?

The author is rewriting the whole arc in this huge project which will cover floor by floor the adventure in Aincrad. There are a lot of new things, it’s as if it’s a completely new story.
HectorBlazeSep 21, 2020 6:33 AM
Sep 21, 2020 4:51 AM
Jan 2018
Its the first arc , but much longer and slower with no Major time skips.

Let's just say the word Progressive in the title isn't for show. The anime season will only do like 6 or less floors.

But it I hear that it will play a few scenes that where in original Season to flesh it out more and apprently retcon a few things as well
Sep 21, 2020 5:30 AM
Jul 2020
oo i'm excited for this ngl. I need more kirito-asuna moments from aincrad arc. All the harem looking shit is annoying.

Hopefully this'll be good and not rushed af:)
Sep 21, 2020 6:27 AM
Jun 2020
It'll be the same trash bro.
Sep 21, 2020 6:31 AM

Aug 2017
Lolicon said:
ItzYaBoiSatan said:

And that's the problem. A majority of these action-focused anime give little to character development or the development between characters. There are many mindless fighting anime out there, SAO is at least creative enough to not only have fighting but focus on the romance between characters of the opposite sex that isn't full of awkwardness or nothingness. Without that, it is literally a cookie cutter MMORPG/reincarnation/from another world anime - one in a massive list of them. Unique is better than typical in a market oversaturated with garbage Isekai/isekai-esque anime.

i want character development and i like romance at certain points but for me asuna and kirito just dont hit right they way too boring for me idk it just doesnt feel right
Sep 21, 2020 6:32 AM

Aug 2017
HectorBlaze said:
Seabury said:

The author ir rewriting the whole arc in this huge project which will cover floor by floor the adventure in Aincrad. There are a lot of new things, it’s as if it’s a completely new story.

if its floor by floor than it will have over 24 eps
Sep 21, 2020 6:36 AM

Apr 2016
ItzYaBoiSatan said:
HectorBlaze said:

The author ir rewriting the whole arc in this huge project which will cover floor by floor the adventure in Aincrad. There are a lot of new things, it’s as if it’s a completely new story.

if its floor by floor than it will have over 24 eps

The series has six volumes so far and it’s far from the last floor.
It will takes a lot to the end this story, the anime adaptation will adapt a part of the story and then we’ll have other series in future when more material came out, probably.
Sep 21, 2020 7:02 AM
Dec 2018
It's probably the rushed progression between kirito and asuna's relationship, but peice by peice
#kyoanistrong
Sep 21, 2020 7:42 AM

Apr 2010
So wait... this is gonna be like when they didnt beat the creator of the game and cleared all 100 levels? Or its just some kind of recap with few more scenes? Because I would like to see all 100 levels lol
Sep 21, 2020 2:43 PM

Nov 2019
Tekakurika said:
So wait... this is gonna be like when they didnt beat the creator of the game and cleared all 100 levels? Or its just some kind of recap with few more scenes? Because I would like to see all 100 levels lol

This is going to be a huge series. It will explore every single floor in detail. So you should expect more seasons. This single season won't show everything. Lol

wape said:
It'll be the same trash bro.

You're certainly more frequent in these threads than the fans. If you don't like it pls just ignore it. Don't ruin the atmosphere.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Sep 21, 2020 4:08 PM
May 2019
God, will Progressive's light novels ever finish? It's only six volumes in, and it's been almost eight years since it's started.
Sep 21, 2020 4:46 PM

Oct 2014
What floor have the progressive novels got to?
Sasuke or Kaneki I can't decide
Sep 21, 2020 5:06 PM

Aug 2012
Tekakurika said:
{

That is the goal, but with 6 volumes, they still in floor 6 , so the 100 wil take a long time (like 20 years i guess)
Sep 21, 2020 5:07 PM

Aug 2012
purpleninja0006 said:
What floor have the progressive novels got to?

Six volumes for 6 floor (floor six takes 2 volumes)
Sep 21, 2020 8:42 PM

Apr 2020
Not exactly sure where I stand on this. On the one hand, while I still find the original enjoyable, it was definitely in need of more fleshing out. On the other hand, going through each level in detail seems a little unnecessary to me in regards to the grand scope of the narrative. Also not entirely sure how I feel about Kirito and Asuna teaming up from the get-go since it fundamentally changes their independent character arcs as well as the nature of their relationship.

It might completely blow me away for all I know. But currently I'm a bit conflicted. :/

Sep 21, 2020 8:50 PM

Apr 2015
Bossgalka said:
I enjoyed the video games as well, which explored what it would be like if they didn't beat the creator so early and had to finish all 100 floors proper.

Off-topic, but it's cool to see more people who played HF, floor 100 was pain.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Sep 21, 2020 9:18 PM

Dec 2017
Tropisch said:
Bossgalka said:
I enjoyed the video games as well, which explored what it would be like if they didn't beat the creator so early and had to finish all 100 floors proper.

Off-topic, but it's cool to see more people who played HF, floor 100 was pain.

It's a very clunky oldschool type game that was originally a handheld game, so a lot of people didn't play it and a lot that did, didn't necessarily like it, sadly, but I came from 7 years of playing FFXI and the combat felt very similar.

I loved the grinding and the progression of the relationships as well. Letting you choose best girl and romance her was nice, and I typically hate dating sim type games, which this wasn't, but it had an element of that to it and it wasn't bad. It filled in a lot of the character development that was missing from the anime even if it wasn't canon. Hopefully this anime does what the game did, maybe even better.

ItzYaBoiSatan said:
Lolicon said:

i want character development and i like romance at certain points but for me asuna and kirito just dont hit right they way too boring for me idk it just doesnt feel right

Personally, I also hate Asuna. I think she is a nice girl and all, but is very bland and flat as a character. That being said, she was a great match for Kirito in the end. Kirito is the MC so he is obviously a badass, but overall he's pretty bland as well.

The entire reason he fell in love with her is because they are very similar solo players that complimented each other when they teamed up and ended up saving each other's lives countless times. While Liz and Silica were more fleshed out characters, they weren't fighters or gamers like Kirito. They were very weak in combat comparatively and were more interested in running shops and feeding their pet than fighting. It makes sense why he didn't see them as potential partners, which also makes the Harem aspect fell very flat, imo.

The new anime will hopefully show them back-to-back more and actually bonding in fights, which is where their strength as a couple lies. At the end of the day though, I've sadly watched all the SAO animes, even the bad ones, so I will watch this one too even if it sucks. It's mindless fun and that is all I really expect from the series.
Sep 21, 2020 10:21 PM
Nov 2015
Haven't kept up with the series at all, but I think I'll watch it just because I liked the first 13 episodes of SAO.
Sep 23, 2020 5:39 PM
Feb 2020
I have a meager interest in this, mostly hoping they flesh out the characters (including Silica and Liz) in this version, those two were better in the manga and the first adaptation didn't touch that.
Personally, both Kirito and Asuna were flat so I never cared for them
I can easily name three isekai that did the premise better, and I'm doubtful this rendition will change that
Sep 23, 2020 11:01 PM

Jul 2016
Bastiono said:
I have a meager interest in this, mostly hoping they flesh out the characters (including Silica and Liz) in this version, those two were better in the manga and the first adaptation didn't touch that.
Personally, both Kirito and Asuna were flat so I never cared for them
I can easily name three isekai that did the premise better, and I'm doubtful this rendition will change that
can you give me examples? And SAO is not an isekai for starters

Sep 24, 2020 3:48 PM
Feb 2020
chriskor022 said:

Trapped in a game world: .hack and Log Horizon
Character interactions: .hack, Log Horizon, Accel World and Overlord

Does SAO happen in another world, yes, it's an isekai
Sep 24, 2020 3:51 PM
Feb 2020
Isekai: another world, SAO happens in the game world
Sep 24, 2020 6:09 PM

Sep 2014
Bastiono said:
Isekai: another world, SAO happens in the game world

It is not an isekai. The characters stay, live and breath in the real world. They are connected to a virtual world via neuronal sensitivity so that they could imagine being in the real world. However they are not, like I said they are still in the real world. Everything is happening inside their head and on a server built in the real world.
Sep 24, 2020 6:27 PM

Jul 2016
Bastiono said:
chriskor022 said:

Trapped in a game world: .hack and Log Horizon
Character interactions: .hack, Log Horizon, Accel World and Overlord

Does SAO happen in another world, yes, it's an isekai
yeah overlord and log horizon is like SAO character development and all. But hack. I dont about that.
Overlord is isekai but LH and SAO is not because isekai is term generally reincarnate, and the MC of both shows are diving in the game.

Sep 25, 2020 1:10 PM
Jan 2019
ItzYaBoiSatan said:
Aren't they just gonna show us pretty much s1 with small changes? it says they will show everything from the beginning so the s1 wasnt from the beginning?
Im confused

Watch this video.

Sep 25, 2020 6:37 PM
Feb 2020
chriskor022 said:
yeah overlord and log horizon is like SAO character development and all. But hack. I dont about that.
Overlord is isekai but LH and SAO is not because isekai is term generally reincarnate, and the MC of both shows are diving in the game.

.. isekai means another world, SAO started the isekai boom.
Did Digimon or MäR get reincarnated? Both are isekai and both returned to their normal lives by the end
Log Horizon is literally trying to return to their normal lives, and both it and SAO exist in a game world, and they know it
Sep 25, 2020 8:47 PM

Jul 2016
Bastiono said:
chriskor022 said:

.. isekai means another world, SAO started the isekai boom.
Did Digimon or MäR get reincarnated? Both are isekai and both returned to their normal lives by the end
Log Horizon is literally trying to return to their normal lives, and both it and SAO exist in a game world, and they know it
yes isekai boom but SAO is not one. Like before SAO, high school setting and harem boom in 2010s. The example you give are they are transport to other world, so yes its isekai same as Inu Yasha. But SAO is a game and diving to the world. Your body remain and your mind is transported in the fanstasy world. SAO is not an isekai.

Sep 25, 2020 8:53 PM
Jan 2019
Mario_Isla said:
Tekakurika said:
{

That is the goal, but with 6 volumes, they still in floor 6 , so the 100 wil take a long time (like 20 years i guess)

Reki never said he was going to change the original story. So no it won't go until floor 100. Most likely till floor 25. That's when Kirito and Asuna broke up from been a team.
Sep 27, 2020 12:02 PM
Feb 2020
chriskor022 said:
yes isekai boom but SAO is not one. Like before SAO, high school setting and harem boom in 2010s. The example you give are they are transport to other world, so yes its isekai same as Inu Yasha. But SAO is a game and diving to the world. Your body remain and your mind is transported in the fanstasy world. SAO is not an isekai.

So by your definition .hack and Accel World aren't isekai? In .hack the entire story happened in *another world* just because it's just your mind doesn't change that there is another world, we (anime watchers) don't know what happened to Log Horizons' characters, they could still exist in the real world
Sep 27, 2020 1:28 PM

Jul 2016
Bastiono said:
chriskor022 said:

So by your definition .hack and Accel World aren't isekai? In .hack the entire story happened in *another world* just because it's just your mind doesn't change that there is another world, we (anime watchers) don't know what happened to Log Horizons' characters, they could still exist in the real world
i dont watch .hack but Accel world is not isekai too. AW is like futuristic game simulation. LH too is not isekai like SAO their bodies is in real world. And they pretty much log out. In LH case is they psyche is lock out in the game.

Sep 27, 2020 2:49 PM

May 2014
Given how far technology has gotten and how the show's quality has significantly improved I definitely dig a remake of season 1. For me it was one of the more enjoyable seasons before Alicization.

I don't think there will be much differences though compared to the original work.
The road of finishing all anime... might take a couple of lives.

Sep 27, 2020 3:46 PM

May 2012
HeXaNiCaL said:

@ItzYaBoiSatan

It's not because he got better at story telling. There was nothing wrong with how the story was originally told. The thing is, Reki Kawahara wrote SAO to use the story in a contest and obviously there was a max number of pages the story had to have in order to be submitted (imagine if 200 people submitted a 2000 pages story for the judges to read...that would be a headache for the judges).

The problem is that he was unable to make SAO short enough (even with SAO ending without going through all 100 floors) and he couldn't cut the story more without compromising the plot so he gave up on the contest. Latter he didn't felt like throwing his story away so instead he uploaded it on his blog and then it became a hit after a while.

Progressive is basically him writing SAO without having to worry about the max number of pages.
I despise woke people.
Sep 28, 2020 7:11 AM
Sep 2016
look even if it is a re-telling and even if it is going to be objectively good, the franchise was so shit up to this point that we don't even want to give this a chance.

Why waste time if we can watch something better that has been collecting dust on our watchlists.

Sword Art Online is very bad.
God I miss Gate and Log Horizon..
Sep 28, 2020 7:45 PM
Jan 2018
The replies people give I feel are just making this even more confusing. It's literally just a story that currently covers floors 1 to 6 of Aincrad. Meaning everything except floor 1 is brand new content. This is NOT a remake and most definitely NOT a Brotherhood treatment, please stop calling it that.
Sep 28, 2020 9:10 PM

Jul 2016
Yugesai said:
look even if it is a re-telling and even if it is going to be objectively good, the franchise was so shit up to this point that we don't even want to give this a chance.

Why waste time if we can watch something better that has been collecting dust on our watchlists.

Sword Art Online is very bad.
God I miss Gate and Log Horizon..
look nothing wrong to watch it. And dont be rude to the user here. Its toxic as it gets to more its not a discussion anymore.

Sep 28, 2020 9:14 PM

Jul 2016
NajzenDesu said:
The replies people give I feel are just making this even more confusing. It's literally just a story that currently covers floors 1 to 6 of Aincrad. Meaning everything except floor 1 is brand new content. This is NOT a remake and most definitely NOT a Brotherhood treatment, please stop calling it that.
yes its not a reboot more expansion of the aincrad arc. Because on original LN is more on skipping content. This time its slower approach. If you are a fan of Aincrad of SAO, you gonna like this. But its not guarantee its gonna be good, if its adapting is butchered.

Sep 28, 2020 11:46 PM
Apr 2018
I did always think they time skipped way to hard after level 1 to one random level 60 cooking episode and then to end . Would like to see more i guess
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Progressive Movie - Hoshi Naki Yoru no Aria Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Oct 29, 2021

254 by C0ST4 »»
Mar 28, 5:25 AM

» Can you watch this without watching the original anime?

Strat2005 - Jan 13

11 by Sara_Karma »»
Jan 14, 10:39 PM

» How dare they???

Haroldinho07 - Jun 23, 2023

25 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:27 AM

» Comparison Scene

ClubAnimeYT - Jul 13, 2022

5 by hacker09 »»
Jun 20, 2023 12:07 AM

» To anyone who don't know what SAO-P is and to those who didn't like the show and wanted a well written version of the show. I'll try to clear any doubts about the show. ( 1 2 )

Anayan_Kashyap - Sep 20, 2021

56 by hacker09 »»
Jun 19, 2023 11:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.