Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 18, 2020 9:03 AM
Jun 2019
Okay, so episode 11 is done now. It feels like the whole plot is done, we get the winner already and last episode is just to wrapped up everything. I realized that a lot of people mentioning like the story quality is dropping. And no, its not because there's too much Yui. It is also not because of the animation quality, because its fine. For me, its because of the only arc left to cover is this prom arc.

Even if you have more Yukino or Iroha, as long as the story revolving just around the prom then it really cannot get better than this. That is the reason why studio feel approach it this way for the viewers getting more empathized and the rejection scene here is truly heartbreaking. Of course many are also a fan of the confession scene (In which I'm not really). Its okay for introduction, but should've end it with something more direct and conclusive. One word can indeed actually conveyed ones feelings you know.

This is the reason for me why the story kinda dropped. If we compare to season 2, there are lots of new interesting character getting introduced (Iroha, Kaori, etc), which brings variety to the show. It brings the refreshment compare to previous season. Unfortunately, we don't have that this season, only some zaimokuza friends that is irrelevant.

Again, we do not have other arcs than prom is the problem here so some of the side character don't really get involved. Hayama for instance is a very interesting character, but he don't have the scene because this arc is irrelevant to him. Hayama can be said as an "antithesis" of Hikigaya. He actually could have more involvement in the series, and its too bad the author cannot get the best out of it. A wasted potential.

Anyhow, we can be just glad that it gets a 3rd season. Not all could have this kind of luxury like Sakurasou (this should have 2nd season already), Classroom of the Elite, etc. So thank you Oregairu for all these times, although I'm salty Yui didn't get her "true" wishes in the end.

And so, these are the things we know for sure in this kind of romance anime :

1. Long hair girl will always win.
2. Blonde hair girl will always win.
3. Short hair girl will always lose.

That's the rule guys, and the only series I have left to finally break this pattern is Koi to Uso (the manga), so lets see.
Sep 18, 2020 9:10 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
jackbayu555 said:
should've end it with something more direct and conclusive. One word can indeed actually conveyed ones feelings you know.
If Oregairu had done that, I would have killed Watari myself and would have burned my collection of the novels. The confession was an Oregairu confession through and through.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Sep 18, 2020 9:21 AM
Jun 2019
cchigu said:
jackbayu555 said:
should've end it with something more direct and conclusive. One word can indeed actually conveyed ones feelings you know.
If Oregairu had done that, I would have killed Watari myself and would have burned my collection of the novels. The confession was an Oregairu confession through and through.

As I said, everyone have different opinion on this. For me, because I have watch better series like Your Lie in April (ep. 11, the "I had You" scene), some powerful word like this is what I long for. "I want something genuine", see? They have history of conveying what matters most in a single sentence.
Sep 18, 2020 9:52 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
jackbayu555 said:
cchigu said:

As I said, everyone have different opinion on this. For me, because I have watch better series like Your Lie in April (ep. 11, the "I had You" scene), some powerful word like this is what I long for. "I want something genuine", see? They have history of conveying what matters most in a single sentence.
Comparing Oregairu to Shigatsu is like comparing apples to oranges. You might like apples more, I might like oranges more.

A confession in a direct way would have been totally opposite to the ways of Oregairu, a show that has been roundabout for 35 episodes straight.

You formed your own expectations, that didn't happen, you got disappointed and felt let down. There is nothing more to it.

The writing quality hasn't degraded, can't comment about the pacing and entertainment value.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Sep 18, 2020 9:56 AM
Aug 2019
jackbayu555 said:

That's the rule guys, and the only series I have left to finally break this pattern is Koi to Uso (the manga), so lets see.

Well, this is just how things go
Sep 18, 2020 10:01 AM
Jun 2019
cchigu said:
jackbayu555 said:

Comparing Oregairu to Shigatsu is like comparing apples to oranges. You might like apples more, I might like oranges more.

A confession in a direct way would have been totally opposite to the ways of Oregairu, a show that has been roundabout for 35 episodes straight.

You formed your own expectations, that didn't happen, you got disappointed and felt let down. There is nothing more to it.

The writing quality hasn't degraded, can't comment about the pacing and entertainment value.

Thats why it a matter of opinion and you have to live with it. For me, 8man gets more direct on important things would show character development. "I want something genuine", when he said those word its actually a character development. "Because I promise to save her", something he said this season in episode 4 for example. Is these something "opposite" from Oregairu? No, this is character development. So when those things happened and finally this is the climax everyone have been waiting for, it is not wrong for people to build up this kind of expectation that Hikigaya can be more firm on something that really matters like this.
Sep 18, 2020 10:03 AM
Dec 2018
4. And rich girl always win.
Sep 18, 2020 10:05 AM
Apr 2019
Wow you compared Oregairu with Your lie, cool.

The reason why Hachiman and Yukino went roundabout way to tell out their feelings, is the main reason why Yui could never win over Hachiman.

Not every series needs "I love you" as a confession phrase. This is what makes it unique.
Sep 18, 2020 10:07 AM
Jul 2019
Muhammad_Alam01 said:
4. And rich girl always win.

5. Always the girl with the most extreme character that win
Sep 18, 2020 10:12 AM
Apr 2019
And continuously introducing new characters shows the weakness of the writing. This season had none of those. The main problem with this adaptation, is studio failed to utilise episode runtime properly. They included less important scenes in favour of more impactful scenes.
Yukino has been treated as some emotionless robot which happens to have some malfunctions. And the biggest problem, animation quality dropped compared to S2.
Sep 20, 2020 4:23 AM

May 2009
jackbayu555 said:

HOLY SHIT. WATCH MORE ANIME.
Then you will learn that in 90% cases lead female wins and her design has nothing to do with that.
Sep 20, 2020 8:41 AM
Jul 2020
bastek66 said:
jackbayu555 said:

HOLY SHIT. WATCH MORE ANIME.
Then you will learn that in 90% cases lead female wins and her design has nothing to do with that.
yeah, the joke that only certain character designs win is getting old now
Sep 20, 2020 11:37 AM

Feb 2010
jackbayu555 said:

Nope.
Strawberry 100%. You lie.
Sep 20, 2020 12:39 PM
Dec 2019
I think it’s not the writing that got worse, but that instead of developing the main characters (despite the fact that they got some development too, primarily on the starting episodes and this last 11th episode), the character who got most characterization were Iroha and Haruno.

Personally, I’m pretty satisfied with this season, and think it’s even better than the second (but that’s just because I think that the second season made too difficult to understand wtf was going on where in the LN it wasn’t near this difficult. The second season definetely had more character development tough)
Sep 20, 2020 8:38 PM
Dec 2015
This season has a lot of romance, which is something I expected. Now I see how the two previous seasons connect to this one. I'm convinced that Oregairu is an anime about searching for something genuine, and that authentic thing is an intimate and sincere relationship with someone. In order to achieve it, you need to strive and suffer and, of course, understand each other's logic and feelings by words and actions.

On season 1 we saw all the shallow relationships like Hayato's three friends, Tsurumi Rumi's group, and the fake exchanges between Sagami and Yukino. Next, on season 2 wee see Hachiman searching for that genuine thing and even questioning whether the Service Club relationship is deep or superficial. That's why we see comparisons between Hayato's and Hachiman's group, and also, the presidential election issue was to test if Hachiman's group is strong enough to stay together. Lastly, this third season concludes all this search. It all ends with Hachiman reaching a genuine relationship he was longing since the start of his youth life. A true, loving relationship does not have facade but sincerity and requires a lot of suffering and understanding.

I didn't enjoy this season as much as season 2 because there is just one arc with the prom thing, and there is a lot of romance, which is not what got me into Oregairu. Also, less Hayato and almost no cool monologues from Hachiman. But this season's theme is perfect for the entire anime. The previous seasons didn't feel like a romance anime but served as a buildup for this final season to end it as a love story.

What I would have really love is Hachiman ending alone but also achieving a different kind of genuine relationship (friendship) with Yukino and Yui, and then he will end the anime with an awesome monologue. But still, in a romantic path this season perfectly concluded this anime's main theme.

I'm anime-only, and I'm definitely amazed by Wataru Watari's writing. Months ago I got the light novels but decided to read them after watching this third season. Within a year I will start reading the light novels, just to start fresh and hoping through what new perspective I can read this masterpiece of story.
FisonnraSep 20, 2020 8:54 PM
Sep 20, 2020 9:34 PM
Feb 2020
TLDR "my waifu didnt win so it suck" right??? u watch too much typical generic harem that u think oregairu is one of them,when the classic "heroine ship war" start i already know something like this will show up.

"oh the rejection is more interesting than the confession",no confession is more interesting than rejection? because im team yukino and yui hater? nope,because thats confession is what oregairu to begin with.

i never read the novel..yet,but people who read it always mention it "its never a heroine ship war because its never equal,hachiman always got his eyes for yukino,not yui" and i can clearly see that,from start its this anti social(literally) guy hachiman meet another one in that club room yukino,they are similar but not the same its even explained later on by their method,mindset etc,then come the third wheel yui,she have huge impact helping this 2 "weird problem child" solving their problem when it comes to their weakness but thats it.

hachiman slowly growing and changing but like he said "people dont change instantly its take time" thats exactly what happen,he realise his problem but still end up doing the same thing,while yukino problem also come to like then things become more complicated,one thing didnt change its always yui like hachiman,when hachiman like yukino,but again things get complicated.

this confession is literally what oregairu is,hachiman and yukino is not a normie/normal highschool student,they arent gonna be "oh i love u,wanna going out??" and for them its a big deal,those confession is like marriage proposal,heck even hachiman telling that to yukino mom and she realise that,why its like that? because hachiman want and think that the genuine that hes looking for is in yukino,not yui.

for me oregairu is overdramatic or over exagerrated for a good reason,it make sense instead of making it bad because of the character itself like hachiman and yukino,this 2 people make everything harder and complicated than it should be?? ofc,they are not hayama and his group,what do u expect?? then finally the best character is shizuka sensei for being the best teacher who guides her student that need help,understand them instead of judging them and be like "just make friends u loner".

once again for what u called

nah u r in wrong anime,if u say that in nisekoi,gotoubun,twgok,bokuben and any generic harem out there,then its true,but oregairu is not,and the focus is never about harem ship war to begin with,from start its really hachiman and yukino so its just about him finally man up and confess to her instead of "chosing which girl he like".
Sep 20, 2020 10:54 PM
Jun 2019
PCS1881 said:
jackbayu555 said:

Nope.
Strawberry 100%. You lie.

Strawberry 100% is one of the anime that does not follow the mainstream. It does not go to the ending route of like "fated encounter" things. If it follows generic shows, Nishino Tsukasa will 100 per cent lost with Aya, but its not like that in Ichigo which is why its one of my favorite.

The story in strawberry is about the dream of Toujou Aya of becoming novelist and Manaka as film maker. But Manaka ends with Nishino, which is why this kind of show is a rare breed.
jackbayu555Sep 20, 2020 10:59 PM
Sep 20, 2020 11:10 PM
Jun 2019
zerokarasu said:

nah u r in wrong anime,if u say that in nisekoi,gotoubun,twgok,bokuben and any generic harem out there,then its true,but oregairu is not,and the focus is never about harem ship war to begin with,from start its really hachiman and yukino so its just about him finally man up and confess to her instead of "chosing which girl he like".

Have you even watch this or looking discussion in this forum? This is following harem route all and all, you are ignorant to say otherwise.

And that mainstream treat I tell ya is what occurs in harem anime these days, not even a secret anymore, everyone knows it.
Sep 21, 2020 12:19 AM
Feb 2020
jackbayu555 said:
zerokarasu said:

Have you even watch this or looking discussion in this forum? This is following harem route all and all, you are ignorant to say otherwise.

And that mainstream treat I tell ya is what occurs in harem anime these days, not even a secret anymore, everyone knows it.

yeah sure,first the harem tag isnt there,but no one cares about tag right???,second its only 2 girl so it just love triangle,but its not love triangle where everyone into each other,its clear yui into hachiman when hachiman is not at all,when yukino and hachiman are into each other,or maybe u dont pay attention and dont watch from s1?? thats the real question right there.

just admit it,your waifu lose and instantly the show is not good anymore for u,meanwhile everyone know its all about "when hachiman and yukino finally open to each other like hachiman crying at the season 2",thats what left in this season 3.
no its not typical harem,did u see hachiman a dense protagonist who have childhood friend then come the tsundere and other 3 heroine want to get into his pants? nope,just stick with gotoubun,gotoubun is literally what u r talking about,and it also have ur "genki girl" win in the end.
Sep 21, 2020 3:32 AM

Jul 2020
jackbayu555 said:

Of course many are also a fan of the confession scene (In which I'm not really). Its okay for introduction, but should've end it with something more direct and conclusive. One word can indeed actually conveyed ones feelings you know.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with this one. In my opinion, the way Wataru-sensei handled/wrote the confession scene is perfect. That roundabout confession between the two, is what makes Oregairu unique compared to other shows.

I accept random friend requests!
Sep 21, 2020 3:55 AM
Jun 2020
jackbayu555 said:

Anyhow, we can be just glad that it gets a 3rd season. Not all could have this kind of luxury like Sakurasou (this should have 2nd season already), Classroom of the Elite, etc. So thank you Oregairu for all these times, although I'm salty Yui didn't get her "true" wishes in the end.

There's a similar series called Jaku-chara Tomozaki-kun which its anime adaptation will air in Winter, and I think you'll be surprised because it's breaking all those rules lol. But yeah, it doesn't have the kind of luxury Oregairu had like being funded by TBS and ran for multiple seasons with a great team (for Season 2).
Sep 21, 2020 1:00 PM

Oct 2010
oregairu was never about winning or losing, you only have to watch the first 3-4 episodes of S1 to understand who's the person 8man loves, this wasn't a harem like haganai or saekano. Sure yui had her moments but 8man is guilty for not refusing her and going along with her weird dates and cake parties. By the time we were in S2 the damage was already done, now 8man had to stay quite because he has no guts. Again, yui is kinda guilty for messing around but still, 8man didn't refuse her.
Sep 21, 2020 7:18 PM

Apr 2020
cchigu said:
jackbayu555 said:

You literally said what I had in mind! Thank you so much xD
“You can’t always hold on to the things that are important. By letting them go we gain something else.” – Kunio Yaobi

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Sep 24, 2020

488 by venbals »»
Apr 5, 11:45 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Sep 17, 2020

421 by venbals »»
Apr 5, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

cchigu - Aug 27, 2020

214 by venbals »»
Apr 5, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cchigu - Aug 13, 2020

189 by venbals »»
Apr 1, 12:33 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Jul 30, 2020

283 by venbals »»
Mar 31, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.