Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 7, 2020 5:22 AM

Oct 2020
Re:zero was originally a literary work correct? If so then I think that explains why most people that don't participate in discussion forums get lost easily such as myself.

That's the whole reason these "breakdown" of Re:zero episodes are so famous, this guy Echidnut, his whole channel is based on Re:zero explanations and is quite famous as a result.

The author wrote the work of fiction with a descriptive approach such as narration eg: Subaru felt that, his mind was that, without this and that he wouldn't be able to he thought yada yada

The conversion of being simply words that describe to visual storytelling inevitably resulted in some loss of information.

Particularly the story of Re:zero is quite complex as most fans have remarked and because of that I think they either should have 1 hour episodes or include a narrator to explain stuff that doesn't get explained as well as the novel.
Oct 8, 2020 3:50 AM

Jun 2014
Not gonna lie the anime did confuse me a lot with its transition.

If anyone is kind enough can you clarify for me these?

How did subaru basically go back to the sanctuary after Garfield went and killed otto and the villagers that were trying to protect him? Did he just pass out and Garfield just dragged him to the sanctuary? There's also the fact that Subaru was the only one left so the rabbits had time to literally eat everyone before him did he literally like pass out for a week? Why did the rabbit not eat him with the others and he was the only one left?

How did subaru fking transport to the sanctuary right after beatrice got killed by elsa? Did Beatrice just teleport him before her death? That would be such bullshit tbh if that what happened. Also how did Subaru come back to Emilia after getting eaten by the rabbit? I doubt the rabbit just let him go after half eating him.
Oct 8, 2020 5:28 AM

May 2020
Thai777 said:

How did subaru basically go back to the sanctuary after Garfield went and killed otto and the villagers that were trying to protect him? Did he just pass out and Garfield just dragged him to the sanctuary? There's also the fact that Subaru was the only one left so the rabbits had time to literally eat everyone before him did he literally like pass out for a week? Why did the rabbit not eat him with the others and he was the only one left?

How did subaru fking transport to the sanctuary right after beatrice got killed by elsa? Did Beatrice just teleport him before her death? That would be such bullshit tbh if that what happened. Also how did Subaru come back to Emilia after getting eaten by the rabbit? I doubt the rabbit just let him go after half eating him.

The Pyroxene Crystal Subaru had with him teleported him back to the prison cell when he came into contact with Sanctuary's barrier, he only passed out for half a day, and because of the snow it attracted the rabbits, causing everyone in the village to get devoured, and this part was cut from the anime but the reason why Subaru was not devoured was because he was in a place where there is a strong ammonia-like scent surrounding the area that keeps animals away and the Great Rabbits are no exception to this.

Also yes Beatrice teleported Subaru, it's going to be explained further in Part 2 though, and this part was also cut but Subaru used the Ryuzu clones to help him escape the rabbits.
GilgameshuuOct 8, 2020 5:37 AM
Oct 8, 2020 12:53 PM

Jun 2014
Gilgameshuu said:
Thai777 said:

The Pyroxene Crystal Subaru had with him teleported him back to the prison cell when he came into contact with Sanctuary's barrier, he only passed out for half a day, and because of the snow it attracted the rabbits, causing everyone in the village to get devoured, and this part was cut from the anime but the reason why Subaru was not devoured was because he was in a place where there is a strong ammonia-like scent surrounding the area that keeps animals away and the Great Rabbits are no exception to this.

Also yes Beatrice teleported Subaru, it's going to be explained further in Part 2 though, and this part was also cut but Subaru used the Ryuzu clones to help him escape the rabbits.

Thank you for the clarifications.
Oct 11, 2020 8:03 PM

May 2020
this is the worst thread i've seen on this site lmao
I said with a posed look
Oct 11, 2020 8:54 PM

May 2020
evangelionlove said:

I've seen worse posts for Re:Zero alone, in Season 1 there is a thread called "Does Re:Zero have bad writing?" and it's literal hell there
GilgameshuuOct 11, 2020 8:59 PM
Oct 12, 2020 1:54 AM
Feb 2018
Fuckin agree. I see so many comments talking about how people like me aren’t “paying attention.” I am fucking taking a history class? Why has the lore of Re:zero completely taken over the show? The characters aren’t progressing, the plot isn’t progressing, and all you learn is the history of world. This isn’t a show, its a textbook, with a lot of crying and whining, which, i can sympathize with, but get sick of after maybe 3 episodes.
Oct 12, 2020 12:45 PM

Oct 2020
_Joseph_Stalin_ said:
Fuckin agree. I see so many comments talking about how people like me aren’t “paying attention.” I am fucking taking a history class? Why has the lore of Re:zero completely taken over the show? The characters aren’t progressing, the plot isn’t progressing, and all you learn is the history of world. This isn’t a show, its a textbook, with a lot of crying and whining, which, i can sympathize with, but get sick of after maybe 3 episodes.

Same was chatting with this dude on reddit about re zero's directing in the anime and he dare says I ain't paying attention but in actuality the guy already read all the novels, web novels, etc and developed a biased perspective.

Saying they didn't cut anything important from the anime and if I payed just a tinsy little bit of "attention" I would've had no problem with it.

Their judgement is already clouded solely by consuming everything related to re zero and then have the audacity to tell the anime onlys to pay attention!
Oct 12, 2020 7:01 PM

Nov 2019
evangelionlove said:

It is literally cancer
Oct 13, 2020 2:22 AM

Jan 2011
This season was bad. Applesaucy faught the good fight on his own on the first page of this thread, but he's absolutely correct. Nothing happens in this season.

It's just Subaru crying like he always does, the little bitch, and then being told that everyone loves him, which is the most unbelievable lie I've ever heard. It honestly felt like self-insert, or that he was written to be a stand in for some assumed NEET incel viewer, because there's no way any woman or man would ever love a whiny little shit like Subaru.

I hope the next part is better, otherwise I'm dropping this series like a sack of rotten potatoes.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Oct 13, 2020 2:32 AM

May 2020
Vinter said:
This season was bad. Applesaucy faught the good fight on his own on the first page of this thread, but he's absolutely correct. Nothing happens in this season.

It's just Subaru crying like he always does, the little bitch, and then being told that everyone loves him, which is the most unbelievable lie I've ever heard. It honestly felt like self-insert, or that he was written to be a stand in for some assumed NEET incel viewer, because there's no way any woman or man would ever love a whiny little shit like Subaru.

I hope the next part is better, otherwise I'm dropping this series like a sack of rotten potatoes.

Nobody likes Subaru? 12462 members have him as favorite, so I don't think so
GilgameshuuOct 13, 2020 2:35 AM
Oct 13, 2020 8:09 AM

Nov 2019
Vinter said:

Has anybody ever heard of something called an opinion?
Oct 13, 2020 3:07 PM

Oct 2020
Vinter said:

I guess this is why the anime is named Re:ZERO. Everything restarts from zero including Subaru's resolve, fear, motivation, death, depression in a perpetual ouroboros cycle.
Oct 13, 2020 4:02 PM

Jan 2011
Gilgameshuu said:
Vinter said:

There are people who like Justin Bieber too. Doesn't prove that he's not trash.
Oct 13, 2020 4:36 PM

May 2020
Vinter said:
Gilgameshuu said:

Yeah sure bud, keep thinking that just because you think he's trash everyone should as well
Oct 14, 2020 2:20 AM
Jul 2018
The season was not meant to be a split cour...it was supposed to start in April and end in September.... people sometimes forget this and because of this stupid pandamic they had to split it....cour 2 will clear most of the questions cour 1 had... people who 'genuinely' got confused should not blame cour 1 to be bad at all....it was meant to be a build up and as an anime watcher only it did a great job imo......if it wasn't split all doubt would have been cleared and nobody would complain but now with these doubts and 3 month wait... people are getting irritated...try to be patient
Oct 14, 2020 9:04 AM

Jun 2007
While I guess Applesauce could've tried to read more in the Anime that he was watching but his critique has a valid point.

Essentially not a whole lot happened.
And you can't really fault viewers for the studios decision to cut the season in half.

So Subaru just has to love himself more. How exactly does that help with Assassins, murder rabbits and insane sanctuary guards? Well who knows.

Who does he have for help? Rem and Otto. Well that's not a whole lot.
He pretty much used their help already and they always died.

He won't take any of the Witches help (for good reason), can't ask Emilia, Roswald is literally an enemy and Garfield can't help.

Nothing to solve the two big problems which have persisted for 13 episodes has been hinted at.

They quite literally can't have him die in Part 2, if they do it will feel just like Part 1.

There wasn't even a cliffhanger that hints at a resolution. There was just Otto hitting him, because that surely helps against Assassins, murder rabbits and insane sanctuary guards.

So will he get help from outside the sanctuary and mansion? I don't know.

If he does they should've hinted at it.
Oct 14, 2020 11:17 AM
Feb 2019
Tyon said:

Who does he have for help? Rem and Otto. Well that's not a whole lot.
He pretty much used their help already and they always died.

He won't take any of the Witches help (for good reason), can't ask Emilia, Roswald is literally an enemy and Garfield can't help.

Nothing to solve the two big problems which have persisted for 13 episodes has been hinted at.

They quite literally can't have him die in Part 2, if they do it will feel just like Part 1.

There wasn't even a cliffhanger that hints at a resolution. There was just Otto hitting him, because that surely helps against Assassins, murder rabbits and insane sanctuary guards.

So will he get help from outside the sanctuary and mansion? I don't know.

If he does they should've hinted at it.

Sure you're not forgetting anyone?
Oct 14, 2020 6:01 PM

Jun 2020
Vinter said:
Gilgameshuu said:

Nice false equivalence towards that trashy human being.

"You don't get it, a million sorry's is not equal to one thank you." — Emilia
Oct 16, 2020 6:00 AM

Jan 2011
Gilgameshuu said:
Vinter said:

Yeah sure bud, keep thinking that just because you think he's trash everyone should as well

I'm not the one telling people how to feel and getting upset that someone has a different opinion. Nice projecting though.
Oct 21, 2020 12:41 PM
Apr 2020
[quote=FluffyNiccu message=60822196][quote=Applesaucey message=60821708]
Rob7 said:
Drop is the best option to that user, just like he did with 80% of shows in his MAL. What explains much.

Anyway, i disagree that this series needs too much attention.

Series with 100 active characters, 5 paralel subplots, 3 plot-twists per season, right, okay, this kind of series needs extra attention.

But Re:Zero is just easy.

You know that Rem is in coma because she lose a fight and an enemy called "Gluttony archbishop" ate her memories and existence. Everything explained in the dialogues.

You know that Sanctuary is a region of Roswaal's lands and Subaru went there to find this Landlord and the rest of villagers.

You know that Trials are tests demanded in that Sanctuary in order to release part of yhe innabitants, who are captive by a curse/magic.

Everything basically explained in the dialogues.

You cant compare it with series plenty of plot-holes and few satisfying explanations.

Except we are missing stupid amounts of background information. We know for instance the wtiches exist, are "evil" and they are a major focus of the plot. However we are completely lacking any real infomration about what makes them so special. Sure they can use magic, but so can plenty of other characters. Not to mention the whole fact they are dead, but JK not really. Oh and the fact several times this season they went "Oh this is the last time we can bring you into the tea party" then 2 episodes later "lol welcome back".

I really don't understand why everyone seems to have loved this season. When over the course of 13 episodes pretty much nothing of note has happened. Season started with everyone trapped in the sanctuary. 13 episodes later here we are still trapped in the fucking sanctuary, the only difference being maybe Subaru is a little less of a whiny bitch? Which if the past 13 episodes are anything to judge by, will be forgotten again in another episode or two.

For fucks sake his respawn point pretty much hasn't even changed over the course of these 13 episodes, and he hasn't made any significant progress towards a resolution of gettting them out, or saving the people at the mansion.

Literally the only thing that has happened all season is maybe a little bit of "growth" on subaru's part, and confirmation that roswaal is actually the dickbag that most people could tell he was the moment his character was introduced.

The whole season coulda been condensed to like 2 episodes and we wouldn't have lost anything for it. If not for being horribly content starved due to corona this would have been dropped after like 2 episodes, and I think that is the only reason it is scoring as high as it has.
Applesaucey said:
Rob7 said:
Drop is the best option to that user, just like he did with 80% of shows in his MAL. What explains much.

Series with 100 active characters, 5 paralel subplots, 3 plot-twists per season, right, okay, this kind of series needs extra attention.

You know that Rem is in coma because she lose a fight and an enemy called "Gluttony archbishop" ate her memories and existence. Everything explained in the dialogues.

You know that Sanctuary is a region of Roswaal's lands and Subaru went there to find this Landlord and the rest of villagers.

You know that Trials are tests demanded in that Sanctuary in order to release part of yhe innabitants, who are captive by a curse/magic.

You cant compare it with series plenty of plot-holes and few satisfying explanations.

Except we are missing stupid amounts of background information. We know for instance the wtiches exist, are "evil" and they are a major focus of the plot. However we are completely lacking any real infomration about what makes them so special. Sure they can use magic, but so can plenty of other characters. Not to mention the whole fact they are dead, but JK not really. Oh and the fact several times this season they went "Oh this is the last time we can bring you into the tea party" then 2 episodes later "lol welcome back".

I really don't understand why everyone seems to have loved this season. When over the course of 13 episodes pretty much nothing of note has happened. Season started with everyone trapped in the sanctuary. 13 episodes later here we are still trapped in the fucking sanctuary, the only difference being maybe Subaru is a little less of a whiny bitch? Which if the past 13 episodes are anything to judge by, will be forgotten again in another episode or two.

For fucks sake his respawn point pretty much hasn't even changed over the course of these 13 episodes, and he hasn't made any significant progress towards a resolution of gettting them out, or saving the people at the mansion.

Literally the only thing that has happened all season is maybe a little bit of "growth" on subaru's part, and confirmation that roswaal is actually the dickbag that most people could tell he was the moment his character was introduced.

The whole season coulda been condensed to like 2 episodes and we wouldn't have lost anything for it. If not for being horribly content starved due to corona this would have been dropped after like 2 episodes, and I think that is the only reason it is scoring as high as it has.

Ok first of all, we aren’t suppose to know anything about the witches yet. They are still a mystery within the LN and WN itself. And secondly, why do we need to know about them anyway? We know that they’re dead, we have Beatrice told us last season that Satella ate them or whatever that meant. They aren’t a major focus of the plot, the plot right now is how to escape the sanctuary, defeat the trials, save Beatrice and all the maids, and do whatever to Roswaal. The witches simply exist to tell us information on that, they aren’t in the spotlight and their backstory of whatever it is will probably be revealed later.

What does having info on the witches do to the plot right now? Why is it so important to you? Is Subaru going to ask them to save his friends when he know they’re dead and can’t interfere with the world except through the trials? Also, the trials have been said by Echidna to be harder and harder to get into. Not impossible nor is it the last time. And every time Subaru return by death, when he got eaten by the rabbit, his emotion goes out of control and it allowed him to go to the dream land.

As for your point on plot progression, what do you mean nothing have changed? Subaru beat the first and second trial, obtain knowledge from Echidna, talk with the witches, learn about Roswaal intention, Elsa and Meylie background, Ryuzu’s existence, Beatrice’s cry for help, Satella’s meeting, and even more knowledge with Return by death. By utilizing it, he has encountered and seen the several problems needed to escape the sanctuary and secured everybody’s life. You cannot just put that info into two episode and nothing will change. You really think that all of that amount to nothing? He has obtained several clues to escape for example, info of Garfield we learn from the latest episode, Clones laboratory, the way to kill the White Rabbit.

I don’t know about you but there are way too many content to be simply disregarded and say that nothing has advanced or changed. And what you mean little growth? Subaru have experience way too many things already, his parents, Roswaal, second trial. People like this season because it gives intrigue and mystery, along with a feeling of excitement and death.[/q]

Hi I was reading this thread and saw this. I agree that things did happen. And I thought some of the revelations were great. But Re zero has problems with pacing here. The problem for me is that we understand certain problems already, and suddenly another odd thing comes out of nowhere in the sanctuary. In the previous seasons it was easier to follow (althought same as here the great whale subplot just doesn't feel to connect that well with the rest of the story). Other than that though, we have one issue in the previous arc. Saving the people in the village who got slaughtered.

This season sure its about sanctuary, but now there's an attack at the mansion and the village, There's the rabbits suddenly showing up, Satella suddenly showing up, there's also garfield who suddenly turns to a large cat as well. I really don't think the pacing was good enough, and it left me getting confused since they try to put new things happening when one plot line is not explored deep enough.
Oct 22, 2020 5:28 AM
Nov 2019
[quote=DeepMind2038 message=60739676]I have no idea what's happening and why it's happening this entire season. Sanctuary what? Trials why? Rem in a coma why?
On top of that, Subaru annoys me more and more with his constant screaming.
But I still keep coming back every week and I wondered why that is. The only explanation I could come up with is intrigue. I finally want to know who Satella is and what she wants with useless Subaru.

Am I the only one who is this confused about the events?
Everything is explained in the series still if you don't know whats going on , needless to say you will till going to drop it just like with every show you do
Oct 22, 2020 5:33 AM
Jun 2019
OP, Why do you expect to understand when Subaru doesn't?

Also, this is part 1 of series 2. Part 2 will hopefully explain a lot.

Disclaimer, I had to take a break around episode 8. Those poor Japanese who have to watch it on TV. I don't think I could cope.

Re a recent post, anime wise JK means high school girl. I don't get it.
AeeekOct 22, 2020 5:40 AM
Oct 22, 2020 3:24 PM
Feb 2020
Everything about the story can be digested literally from the dialogues and monologues. You're probably just not invested enough to pay attention. The story isn't complicated or anything. In fact, it's pretty straightforward. And yes, Subaru is annoying, but I just put up with it.
Oct 24, 2020 3:03 AM
Sep 2020
DeepMind2038 said:
I have no idea what's happening and why it's happening this entire season. Sanctuary what? Trials why? Rem in a coma why?
But I still keep coming back every week and I wondered why that is. The only explanation I could come up with is intrigue. I finally want to know who Satella is and what she wants with useless Subaru.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler to the thread title as posts include talk what is happening in this season.
man pay attention to show its senin not shonnen
Oct 24, 2020 3:12 AM
Sep 2020
Applesaucey said:
Torkip said:

Echidna explained who they were in episode 3. We lack info on them, but it isn’t necessary atm. Their magic is very powerful, that’s like saying “what’s so special about Puck’s magic, Subaru can use shamac!”

They never said “this is the last time”, they’ve said it’s difficult to come in. Subaru came in first cuz he’s a curious guy, and the reason for that is delved into later. Subaru came in second cuz he was losing his mind screaming “why?!”. Third, and implied, final time, he got in cuz was just as desperate after having gone through the 2nd trial.

People love this season cuz Subaru’s character development, the sheer amount of insane and violent problems Subaru has to deal with, etc. It’s build up. The season would lose all sense of comprehension, emotion, and plot if they condensed everything. Plus, exposition dumps are lame and boring. As for ur complaints about lack of progress...no shit. The amount of obstacles are towering, every new episode unearths a new problem, and yet u complain he hasn’t done enough? Subaru is a human. You’ve seen too much wish fulfillment or stories about prodigies, and then u expect realistic ppl to act like that? No. You wouldn’t even be able to get through the first few deaths, nevermind everything else. Subaru isn’t a crybaby. Crying over the things he’s been through suffered through is completely justified, and emotionless characters are lame and boring.

Change is happening. Things have happened. And even then, so much has not been revealed yet. It isn’t about the destination or where you’re going, it’s the journey. Cour 2 is the turning point. And the best part of the arc. But I doubt it’ll change your mind. So I’d recommend dropping it.

Got it your caught up up in the melodramatic BS of the "normal human" who just so happens to be immortal and gets to retry things whenever he wants. Who constantly cries about how weak and powerless he is, but isn't actually taking any steps to get stronger to overcome that, even though he is in a fantasy world with magic where that is a valid option. And somehow have mistaken his endless cycle of Motivation > Death > Depression > Motivation again as character development somehow.
subaru gate is broken bro it is stated in season 1 and season 2 start from carriage scene he literally not get time to train and training will not do anything he will be weak
Dec 11, 2020 6:21 AM

Feb 2015
Oh wow.
After reading this entire discussion, I finally understand why so many amazing mystery anime like Higurashi never get the praise they desereve.
People actually can't pay attention to anything that needs the viewer to actually listen,think and speculate. I've never read the WN or LN for Re:Zero, but I had no problems following the plot and what was happening. The anime spelled out everything you need to know.
I'd get it if you didn't remember everything from season 1, it's been 4 years after all. I just watched a recap to refresh my memory - I'd recomment smth like that if that's the reason why some of y'all were lost.

If y'all don't like complex shows then don't watch them. Re:Zero isn't even that complicated (yet, I dunno where all of this will go) compared to Higurashi or Steins;Gate.
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Dec 14, 2020 10:40 AM
Feb 2016
Applesaucey said:
Rob7 said:

Applesaucey said:
Rob7 said:

Exactly! I cant believe i lost time watching 13 ep that could be condensed in 4 or 5. That would also save my ears from subaru's useless non-stop screaming.
Dec 14, 2020 4:06 PM

May 2020
NieziGP said:
Applesaucey said:

Applesaucey said:

Exactly! I cant believe i lost time watching 13 ep that could be condensed in 4 or 5. That would also save my ears from subaru's useless non-stop screaming.

You're delusional if you actually think this could've been condensed to 5 episodes.
Dec 18, 2020 11:28 PM
Nov 2013
I can’t understand people’s problems with Subaru. He’s “whiny”? Are you kidding me? Are you incapable of understand human emotions entirely? Is that ALL you have gotten from his incredibly in-depth character? The dude can’t magically become Superman. The dude has an average IQ and is a teenager. The Dude has below average magic and a damaged gate, which makes it worse. The dude had self confidence issues, anxiety, and depression, and was taken into a brand new world where he has been forced over the span of like one or two months, to attempt to break the chain of his own self reproach that he’s cultivate over most of his life- all the while being subjected to mental and physical torture, and repeated deaths that he can feel (including rabbits eating him from INSIDE HIS BODY, and is unable to talk to anyone about it other than an untrustworthy witch. And that’s not even half the crap that’s actually happened. Just a summary.

What do you expect? Kirito? Sorry, but what makes this show refreshing and well written IS Subaru (and RBD, which is only as effective as it is because Subaru is the one using it), It’s everything about Subaru. If it wasn’t for Subaru, the MC would basically be freaking Reinhart and then it’d just be one of the countless lame, self insert power fantasy isekai that plagues the anime that weebs have to project themselves into to feel validated and cool.
crystalblade13Dec 18, 2020 11:32 PM
Apr 10, 2021 4:13 PM
May 2017
QcDiablo said:
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
If it is explained in the second half then it just proves that this should have never been split in half.

It was never meant to be split in half. The split season is just there so the studio has more time to work on the animations.
If you want to enjoy the whole story in one go, you should wait until it's finished airing.

In fact, I don't know any story which have been made into anime that was meant to have a cut in the very middle of the plot. I don't believe such a story exists.
It's just that producing a good quality episode every week for the duration of a whole series is nearly impossible. Additonnally, the studios usually prefer to split series into seasons so they can have the liberty to stop a project if it's not successful enough.

actually, i'm pretty sure it was split because of COVID, which meant the animators couldn't be together at the studio and they had to fix stuff so that they could animate from home. and given how close to their air date episodes usually finishes production, it's easy to see how COVID impacted the airing of the second cour
Apr 10, 2021 9:50 PM
Jan 2021
Applesaucey said:
Rob7 said:

wow dumb much genius for one if u don’t care about (Beatrice, Roswaal, Otto, Garfiel, Ram, Subaru or the witches or Emilia then drop it it needs to be this long it would have been a lot worse if they skipped everything dumbass impatient you don’t care what the story is about also Echidna said Subaru really had to be in a desperate situation and essentially pray to be brought their not that it could not happen also man Subaru is now a full on decent person now from essentially assuming here what you are a otaku who has not left their room in a year and damn just the idiocy here you don’t even have an idea of what it’s about other than action where’s my action well guess what fuck action I want dialogue stop going of arrogant like you are completely right seriously if you come back and understand it but still don’t like it then i can and plenty others could take you seriously
Apr 10, 2021 9:55 PM
Jan 2021
Applesaucey said:
Turak said:

Are you watching with a phone in your hands? ? This should be a full season and not a split but still, saying nothing has happened is just being a troll tbh.

Did you not have enough locations? Well, 2 is not that far from 6 in season 1! Action? Pretty similar to how it was in eps 1-13 s1. Respawn points? He had 4 iirc compared to 1 so I guess that's not much. Progress? If the only thing you care about is leaving the Sanctuary then it has already happened LOL.

My point is, your points are weird. And you're missing most of the plot and then acting like the show is dumb. C'mon dude, pay attention or just drop it and don't waste your time for no reason.

4? He pretty much spent the whole season respawning in the witches graveyard. The entire season was pretty much Subaru gets motivated, Subaru finds out something that might be relevant, but probably not piece of background information. Subaru dies and gets depressed. Rinse repeat, with no progression in the overarching plot.

You can't say "there was progress" and "Things happened" when we started the season with 2 problems. Ended the season with the same 2 problems. No additional problems were proposed or solved. And no meaningful progress was made toward a resolution of either of the existing problems.

World building and background information are great in all when used properly to enhance the plot. Not when they completely replace it like they did here.
yeah sure all your problems which aren’t problems are fixed in the latter of season 2 oh wait you don’t count character progression as progress all you care about is Remmmmm REMmmmmmmmmmmmm action action boring no one fucking care Subaru damn why can’t you be more like Light or lelouche then your problems will be fixed right wrong cause that’s not fixing that’s just changing the message
Apr 10, 2021 9:58 PM
Jan 2021
Sokah said:
Subaru has become more of a stupid whiny bitch, negative character arc, losing all of his gains from last season and becoming even dumber and more pathetic than when he first arrived.

The witches were revealed to be moronic caricatures with no real agency, just obvious plot devices. Same with Beatrice. Roswaal was revealed to be the standard high functioning nut job.

All that happened this season was Subaru learned a few things that pulled back the curtain on Oz The Magnificent to dispel the illusion that this was a good show.
yes because losing your main support Rem is not going to do anything wow talk about just plain dumb
Apr 10, 2021 9:59 PM
Jan 2021
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
Gilgameshuu said:

How was it a mess? If I may ask. What do you mean by "why it happened narratively"?

I will simplify it by using the biggest example. The random ravenous rampaging murder rabbits. Why do they exist narratively at this point. They came out of nowhere. We know who made them and why they showed up but we do not know how we got to them showing up. Twice Subaru randomly skipped ahead in time with no explanation. If it is explained in the second half then it just proves that this should have never been split in half.
yeah because giant whales isn’t
Apr 19, 2021 9:01 PM
Apr 2021
I only just got through episode 7 after recently refreshing from season 1 and I have to agree. This part of season 2 is ROUGH. Pacing, characterization, plot, dialogue (oh the dialogue!), I think the best way to describe it is it's frustrating as an audience member.

I get that there's a lot of lore in this world and that there's still a lot to explore, especially considering this is mainly from Subaru, an outsider's perspective.

It's a bit unfair as this criticism may come from me just wanting to know more but there's a lot of information that seems so frustratingly close and yet isn't offered up, especially after 7 episodes.

For example, if I saw Beatrice clutching this gospel book and being like, "omg I can only follow what's in here," I'd wonder like "UM? Beatrice why are you being controlled by this Witch's Cult item...?" (I'm surprised Subaru let that go in the first season when she basically kept it??). The thought of "Hey, maybe I should ask Roswald, or Ram, or even Emilia about the person they've been living with and if she has any affiliation with the Witch's Cult and if she may betray the household by idk, letting an assassin in?". Would it have been so hard to ask especially since Subaru has this immense hatred of the cult considering the trauma they inflicted on him and their mission to get Emilia? Not adding up.

I just went through this ridiculous scene of Garfiel keeping Subaru prisoner because he has the Witch's scent on him. Garfiel says he grew even more suspicious when Subaru offered to go through the Trials himself. Why is it that he was completely fine and actually told Subaru he should do the Trials in Emilia's place in a previous life? Huh? Was that a test or something? And then he's like "Emilia will decide what to do with you." ....what? I thought you didn't trust Emilia, only wanting to use her to pass the Trials. Why are you turning to her when she could very well be affiliated with the Cult and Subaru considering she looks so much like the Witch.

I'm 7 episodes in and the jewel that Garfiel has still has no clear purpose in my mind. This is different from the one Frederica gave to Emilia and Subaru when they left to the Sanctuary? Or is it the same one? I get that it teleports so why does Subaru have no idea what it does when Garfiel gives it to him and Ram begrudgingly? If it's the same, then when Ram is like "yeah idk what this is?" he could be like "Oh yeah, Ram that actually teleported me when we entered the barrier". If it was different why does he want it? What about it signals that it would help him through the barrier? In fact, I'm confused why did he ask Garfiel if he "had anything to give him" before they left when him and Ram will be completely fine crossing the barrier considering they have no mixed blood?

Otto finding him and releasing him seemingly out of nowhere aside, they take a whole second half of that episode to go through this weird dialogue of him not understanding that Otto helped him because he considers him a friend? I thought the whole thing around Otto only being there in this situation for his own purposes was sort of a playful banter between the two because they have been through a lot together? Like sure, let's help Otto clear his debt but Subaru consistently thanks him (albeit a bit meanly) for his help throughout this arc.

Back to the Trials. I get that Ros wants Emilia to do it because it will help her standing with the villagers. Emilia herself wants to prove herself to them and her by passing. You would think that failing 3 times, they'd actually talk about what went down. Are you not allowed to say what happens? Can Emilia say, "dang this part is actually tripping me up. it's really painful to go through" and the rest of the team can come up with strategies to help? Something that's really bothering me is how all these characters on the surface seem to really have agency but when it comes down to it, Subaru is the only one that initiates any action. Suppose that's an isekai anime for you. Ram, can't you help out Emilia with some of this?
The whole thing with Garfiel and the elder (i forgot her name) agreeing with Ros that Emilia should be the one to pass the Trial like HUH? I thought you hated him and now he's "the master of these lands and we don't want to risk our standing with him by disagreeing". HUH? You don't think keeping him and his villagers HOSTAGE will risk your standing with him? I think the bridge has burned quite a while ago. Wouldn't they jump at the fact that Subaru seemingly passes the first Trial and can actually have a chance at freeing them all? Is it because he has that Witch's scent on him?

Okay that was kinda a stream of consciousness. Again, probably could be an interpretation thing (I watched the English dub) and me not really paying as much attention as I should be (I still watched it without any speed manipulation!) but c'mon. I forgave Subaru for a lot of things in the first season. In fact, I found him kinda refreshing and definitely realistic but there's just somethings with the characters this season that are not adding up.
Apr 20, 2021 10:33 AM
Nov 2018
nito8 said:
I only just got through episode 7 after recently refreshing from season 1 and I have to agree. This part of season 2 is ROUGH. Pacing, characterization, plot, dialogue (oh the dialogue!), I think the best way to describe it is it's frustrating as an audience member.

I get that there's a lot of lore in this world and that there's still a lot to explore, especially considering this is mainly from Subaru, an outsider's perspective.

It's a bit unfair as this criticism may come from me just wanting to know more but there's a lot of information that seems so frustratingly close and yet isn't offered up, especially after 7 episodes.

For example, if I saw Beatrice clutching this gospel book and being like, "omg I can only follow what's in here," I'd wonder like "UM? Beatrice why are you being controlled by this Witch's Cult item...?" (I'm surprised Subaru let that go in the first season when she basically kept it??). The thought of "Hey, maybe I should ask Roswald, or Ram, or even Emilia about the person they've been living with and if she has any affiliation with the Witch's Cult and if she may betray the household by idk, letting an assassin in?". Would it have been so hard to ask especially since Subaru has this immense hatred of the cult considering the trauma they inflicted on him and their mission to get Emilia? Not adding up.

I just went through this ridiculous scene of Garfiel keeping Subaru prisoner because he has the Witch's scent on him. Garfiel says he grew even more suspicious when Subaru offered to go through the Trials himself. Why is it that he was completely fine and actually told Subaru he should do the Trials in Emilia's place in a previous life? Huh? Was that a test or something? And then he's like "Emilia will decide what to do with you." ....what? I thought you didn't trust Emilia, only wanting to use her to pass the Trials. Why are you turning to her when she could very well be affiliated with the Cult and Subaru considering she looks so much like the Witch.

I'm 7 episodes in and the jewel that Garfiel has still has no clear purpose in my mind. This is different from the one Frederica gave to Emilia and Subaru when they left to the Sanctuary? Or is it the same one? I get that it teleports so why does Subaru have no idea what it does when Garfiel gives it to him and Ram begrudgingly? If it's the same, then when Ram is like "yeah idk what this is?" he could be like "Oh yeah, Ram that actually teleported me when we entered the barrier". If it was different why does he want it? What about it signals that it would help him through the barrier? In fact, I'm confused why did he ask Garfiel if he "had anything to give him" before they left when him and Ram will be completely fine crossing the barrier considering they have no mixed blood?

Otto finding him and releasing him seemingly out of nowhere aside, they take a whole second half of that episode to go through this weird dialogue of him not understanding that Otto helped him because he considers him a friend? I thought the whole thing around Otto only being there in this situation for his own purposes was sort of a playful banter between the two because they have been through a lot together? Like sure, let's help Otto clear his debt but Subaru consistently thanks him (albeit a bit meanly) for his help throughout this arc.

Back to the Trials. I get that Ros wants Emilia to do it because it will help her standing with the villagers. Emilia herself wants to prove herself to them and her by passing. You would think that failing 3 times, they'd actually talk about what went down. Are you not allowed to say what happens? Can Emilia say, "dang this part is actually tripping me up. it's really painful to go through" and the rest of the team can come up with strategies to help? Something that's really bothering me is how all these characters on the surface seem to really have agency but when it comes down to it, Subaru is the only one that initiates any action. Suppose that's an isekai anime for you. Ram, can't you help out Emilia with some of this?
The whole thing with Garfiel and the elder (i forgot her name) agreeing with Ros that Emilia should be the one to pass the Trial like HUH? I thought you hated him and now he's "the master of these lands and we don't want to risk our standing with him by disagreeing". HUH? You don't think keeping him and his villagers HOSTAGE will risk your standing with him? I think the bridge has burned quite a while ago. Wouldn't they jump at the fact that Subaru seemingly passes the first Trial and can actually have a chance at freeing them all? Is it because he has that Witch's scent on him?

Okay that was kinda a stream of consciousness. Again, probably could be an interpretation thing (I watched the English dub) and me not really paying as much attention as I should be (I still watched it without any speed manipulation!) but c'mon. I forgave Subaru for a lot of things in the first season. In fact, I found him kinda refreshing and definitely realistic but there's just somethings with the characters this season that are not adding up.

Maybe watching an entire season 2 first?
It just only a matter of your intention, even if you watch the best show ever but you are sleeping it just 0 out of it, if you gonna blame the show then
"It's boring" Just this one sentence always works. No one can "actually" quote that despite all the hate you get from saying that.
I mean the way to enjoy the mystery is thinking by yourself.
Pay attention and gathering the information.
Pacing is Neither fast nor slow in this season, It quite a little bit slow actually.
The objective of Re: zero in ss1 and ss2 part 1 is Subaru view as us the audience.
Mystery storytelling by one protagonist's eyes(the best way to play with thriller in my Opinion)
I watched 1 way 13 episodes and I caught them all.
I think the best way to enjoy Every Series especially Re: zero is by watching it 1 way.
The pacing of Mystery always "want" confuses the audience if they lost attention only a blink.
Plus Thriller elements that will be enchanted with stacks of Emotional Roller-coaster
I study literature last year, Man just thinking about the thought process in this show made me crazy. It is literally my Ideal storytelling and direction now.
Maybe I am so invested that It made me really easy to understand.
John_Smith_MALApr 20, 2021 11:03 AM
Apr 20, 2021 11:49 AM
Nov 2018
This forum is an actual hell wtf happened here.
History class?
The reason you don't do well in History is maybe Because of the nature of the subject and How you approaching it. From my experience I suggest pinpointing the events, rearrange the details, Looking from a big perspective and tie the events together then conclude the prominent subject, overall impact, and main objective.
Damn, I miss my history class.
I just want you to remember that you are the one that approached the show. You surely need to follow the show. Hating the show because it's direction is just objectively wrong.
I respect Gilgameshuu's tolerance.
John_Smith_MALApr 20, 2021 11:53 AM
Apr 21, 2021 6:10 PM

Mar 2019
Jesus christ theres some absolutely toxic levels of hate in here. Sorry op.
May 13, 2021 11:35 AM

Nov 2016
The only thing I don't understand is why Roswaal wants Subaru to be like him. I assume it will be revealed in part 2 though? Overall it was a fascinating part 1. I still prefer season 1 though.
May 16, 2021 1:58 AM
Oct 2012
Wildcat17 said:
Gilgameshuu said:

Okay, dude most of your questions were already answered in season 2, most of them you didn't have to pay much attention at all because characters already explained them...

Edit: Here I'll just answer them

-Why are they in Sanctuary?
Because the residents of Irlam Village were evacuated there during the Witch Cult attack, after the battle it was revealed that Garfiel was holding them and Roswaal hostage and wants Emilia to complete the Trials to free the Sanctuary from the barrier which will result in the liberation of the demi-humans living in Sanctuary.

-How was Rem forgotten?
Puck literally explained it in Episode 1. The Authority of Gluttony can eat one's Memories and Name. If your memories are eaten you forget everything, if your Name is eaten everyone forgets you, if both are eaten then you go into suspended animation.

-Is Roswaal evil?
Depends, he only wants to fulfill his dearest wish by following his Tome of Wisdom, one of the two original and the true Gospels, which accurately describes events that will happen in detail while normal defective gospels only give vague intrusctions.

-Why can Subaru ressurect?
because return by death...

-How did Rem and Ram end up working for Roswaal?
This was already answered back in Season 1, their Village was attacked by the Witch Cult and Roswaal took them in.

-How did Otto appear?
He joined Subaru and Emilia to the Sanctuary to negotiate with Roswaal

-Why is Frederica and Petra working as maids?
Since Rem is forgotten, the Mansion is understaffed

-Why is Elsa killing everyone and who is her boss?
Did you watch Episode 13? Roswaal said it himself that he hired her

-Why is Emilia a half-elf
I feel like this is racist also Emilia does not look anything like Echidna, you're switching up Witches here. She looks like Satella NOT Echidna

-Where did Beatrice come from exactly, why did she want to die, why didn't she just kill herself
Dude at this point I feel like you're not reading the dialogue at all... Echidna created her, she wanted to die because she was alone for 400 years waiting for a person that never existed, she literally said it herself Spirits are incapable of dying on their own.

-Why is Emilia and Subaru able to take the trial?
Mixed bloods can take the trial, Subaru can take it because Echidna gave him permission back in Episode 3

-What i the stone/necklace Garfiel gives to Subaru?
It's a Pyroxene crystal, and from what we've seen it can teleport the wearer

Questions I didn't answer mean they don't have answers YET and should just wait for Part 2.

Besides your subtle criticism, I'm actually pretty grateful for your explanation. So thanks, mate.

What is the Witch Cult attack? Why is Garfiel holding everyone hostage and why does he have the power/means to do so? Is it like a blackmail? If they want their people to be free, then they have to free his people as well?

Where and why did the Authority of Gluttony come from?

Where did those Roswaal's books come from?

I understand Subaru can return by death, that literally means he can resurrect. I just would like to know why he has that ability. Because some witch gave it to him? Why's that?

What does Otto want to negotiate with Roswaal?

I haven't watched episode 13 yet, but I suspected that would be the case.

Yeah, we've been hearing a lot about Satella, but who is she and why did she stop being mentioned at some point? Also, I personally think Emilia looks a lot like Echidna ahah.

Why did Echidna create Beatrice? Who was Beatrice waiting for? Was it someone random who just cared about her?

How did Garfiel get the Pyroxene crystal?

Thanks again.
a year late reply because I held back watching this season until both cour aired; but regarding your question about Authority of Gluttony, it is indeed very confusing for anime only watcher so I'll try to explain the setting of re:zero world:

400 years ago, there used to be seven witches that represent the seven sins... Witch of Greed, Witch of Gluttony, Witch of Wrath, Witch of Lust, Witch of Sloth, Witch of Pride, and Witch of Envy (plus another 2 ancient sin witches, Vainglory and Melancholic). But then everyone of them died in the hand of Witch of Envy, which had a very similiar face and race to Emilia. This is the reason why people hated Emilia and all half-elf silver haired girls. The Witch of Envy was sealed by a group of people right after she killed the other six witches.

There was no explanation as for why they exist in re:zero world, but it is known that each of them hold superpower we call as 'Authority'. But when they (six of the witches) died, their 'Authority' were left behind, and the Witch Cult took most of it. In s1 we had Betelgeuse who took in 'Authority of Sloth', his power was 'Unseen Hand', an inferior version of the original Witch of Sloth's power probably because he was not compatible with the power.

And now we move on to your question, Authority of Gluttony was used by that disgusting short guy at eps 1 of s2, and his power came from inheriting the Witch of Gluttony's power. He has the ability to devour someone's 'Name' and 'Memories'. Someone already explained it in the previous posts. He attacked Crusch's and Rem's party together with the 'Greed' (the handsome male with disgusting exprerssion).

The reason? Because they were curious towards the people who killed the White Whale at s1. They can sense the White Whale was killed because (my guess) they are connected. How? The White Whale was made by the Witch of Gluttony, aka the original holder of the 'Authority of Gluttony' before she died. In s1 it was explained that the White Whale's fog attack can literally delete someone's existence, but the disgusting short guy with the 'Authority of Gluttony' also have the same power. This is the reason why Rem went into coma, while Crusch lost her memories.

TL;DR : There are seven witches of sin, each with their own authority, six of them died and their authority are passed down to each sin Archbishop of Witch Cult (people like betelgeuse and the two that attacked Rem/Crusch)
May 27, 2021 3:03 PM

Jul 2010
tornberryz said:
Wildcat17 said:

Besides your subtle criticism, I'm actually pretty grateful for your explanation. So thanks, mate.

What is the Witch Cult attack? Why is Garfiel holding everyone hostage and why does he have the power/means to do so? Is it like a blackmail? If they want their people to be free, then they have to free his people as well?

Where and why did the Authority of Gluttony come from?

Where did those Roswaal's books come from?

I understand Subaru can return by death, that literally means he can resurrect. I just would like to know why he has that ability. Because some witch gave it to him? Why's that?

What does Otto want to negotiate with Roswaal?

I haven't watched episode 13 yet, but I suspected that would be the case.

Yeah, we've been hearing a lot about Satella, but who is she and why did she stop being mentioned at some point? Also, I personally think Emilia looks a lot like Echidna ahah.

Why did Echidna create Beatrice? Who was Beatrice waiting for? Was it someone random who just cared about her?

How did Garfiel get the Pyroxene crystal?

Thanks again.
a year late reply because I held back watching this season until both cour aired; but regarding your question about Authority of Gluttony, it is indeed very confusing for anime only watcher so I'll try to explain the setting of re:zero world:

400 years ago, there used to be seven witches that represent the seven sins... Witch of Greed, Witch of Gluttony, Witch of Wrath, Witch of Lust, Witch of Sloth, Witch of Pride, and Witch of Envy (plus another 2 ancient sin witches, Vainglory and Melancholic). But then everyone of them died in the hand of Witch of Envy, which had a very similiar face and race to Emilia. This is the reason why people hated Emilia and all half-elf silver haired girls. The Witch of Envy was sealed by a group of people right after she killed the other six witches.

There was no explanation as for why they exist in re:zero world, but it is known that each of them hold superpower we call as 'Authority'. But when they (six of the witches) died, their 'Authority' were left behind, and the Witch Cult took most of it. In s1 we had Betelgeuse who took in 'Authority of Sloth', his power was 'Unseen Hand', an inferior version of the original Witch of Sloth's power probably because he was not compatible with the power.

And now we move on to your question, Authority of Gluttony was used by that disgusting short guy at eps 1 of s2, and his power came from inheriting the Witch of Gluttony's power. He has the ability to devour someone's 'Name' and 'Memories'. Someone already explained it in the previous posts. He attacked Crusch's and Rem's party together with the 'Greed' (the handsome male with disgusting exprerssion).

The reason? Because they were curious towards the people who killed the White Whale at s1. They can sense the White Whale was killed because (my guess) they are connected. How? The White Whale was made by the Witch of Gluttony, aka the original holder of the 'Authority of Gluttony' before she died. In s1 it was explained that the White Whale's fog attack can literally delete someone's existence, but the disgusting short guy with the 'Authority of Gluttony' also have the same power. This is the reason why Rem went into coma, while Crusch lost her memories.

TL;DR : There are seven witches of sin, each with their own authority, six of them died and their authority are passed down to each sin Archbishop of Witch Cult (people like betelgeuse and the two that attacked Rem/Crusch)

Thank you for the explanation!
Jun 1, 2021 10:00 PM

Jun 2020
DeepMind2038 said:
I have no idea what's happening and why it's happening this entire season. Sanctuary what? Trials why? Rem in a coma why?

Mod Edit: Added spoiler to the thread title as posts include talk what is happening in this season.

I feel you man, even I didn't understand anything. I'd recommend reading the light novel (from volume 10)

I'm re-watching the first season and reading the light novel from the start of season 2, and suddenly, everything is making a lot, lot more sense.

The dialogue just doesn't work in anime form in season 2, so I'd say either read the LN or watch it dubbed.
HUNTER X HUNTER HAS RETURNED!!!!!!!
Jun 2, 2021 3:03 AM

Feb 2021
DeepMind2038 said:

go watch some slice of life Re Zero isn't for you
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 30, 2020

504 by titty »»
Apr 11, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kaiseki - Sep 23, 2020

453 by titty »»
Apr 11, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 16, 2020

675 by titty »»
Apr 11, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 2, 2020

516 by titty »»
Apr 11, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Jul 29, 2020

672 by chiwila »»
Apr 9, 9:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.