Forum Settings
Forums

best and worst art style and animation in anime?

New
Sep 14, 2020 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
What anime has the worst art style and animation and what anime has the best?
to me:
best - Shingeki no kyojin - I really like this art style, especially character drawings

worst - Berserk (2016) - My eyes were hurting while watching this, firstly - practically everything in this show is CGI, which I (and probably everyone) don't like and secondly - animations are so poorly animated, it looks like some low-budget fan work
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 2020 12:53 PM

Jun 2012
Best - All arts by Akio Watanabe (Monogatari Series, Grisaia no Kajitsu etc) and Takashi Takeuchi (Fate, Kara no Kyoukai)

Worst - Probably 7 Seeds's art (Although, the manga art is decent), but the anime animation and style seems really poor Imo. Also, most of the CGI's anime, not my cup of tea. (Tho Beastars and Ajin are good).
Credit to gojosattoru
Sep 14, 2020 12:53 PM
Dec 2015
Yeah bro, I’ll be honest, those are pretty close to my answers as well, haha. CGI in anime is bad or meh right now, but Berserk takes the cake for bad. Even Attack on Titan uses it subtly and hides it, but as we all know, that one’s a 10.
Sep 14, 2020 12:54 PM

Jan 2009
inb4 Aku No Hana because its rotoscoping animation when some 2D animation right now like from ufotable and Gundam Unicorn for example uses rotoscoping of 3D animation/models a lot
Sep 14, 2020 12:54 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
(don't conflate art style with animation please lol triggered n shiz)

I don't have a least favorite art style, but animation? Definitely Berserk 2016.

I don't think the art style itself was bad. I just think the animation and CG is. Remember, bad animation disrupts the stability and consistency of the art style. In 2016, CG animation in terms of anime was highly untrained and just overall looked jarring as hell.
Overall, I think Berserk is made for 2D animation in terms of adaptation. I mean, shit, look at this art. That looks phenomenal to me, but... when in motion... It's a real shitload of fuck.

I think Studio Orange is making some of the best steps of translating 2D style to 3D with the likes of Land of the Lustrous and Beastars, which have both phenomenal art and CG animation. There are scenes that even look like 2D animation.

Some earlier steps include the likes of Oban Star Racers, which 15 years ago had pretty damn good CG. Even the original draft/short animation of Oban from 2001, which had CG animation, was very impressive for its time.

Yaoyorozu and TMS Entertainment also has some pretty good CG animation. Although it was obviously 3D, a good start to translation 2D to 3D. Also, some are just blatantly 3D, but done well.

In terms of favorite art style, definitely everything in my favorites, but Love Live! is at the top because of just how personally impactful the series is to me. Anyway, here are some.
ChartTopper60Sep 14, 2020 1:23 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 14, 2020 12:56 PM

May 2015
Best: Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky
Worst: Can't think of one.
Sep 14, 2020 1:02 PM

Jun 2020
My least favourite art styles would be from Ping Pong, Zankyou no Terror, Devilman Crybaby and Tatami Galaxy.

I enjoy almost all other art styles that are not similar to those of the ones mentioned above.
This anime shit is addictive
Sep 14, 2020 1:09 PM

Jun 2016
Worst animation is the opening sequence of twinkle nora or any anime by ilca. Worst art style is alexander senki.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 14, 2020 1:16 PM

Feb 2020
I think that Kizumonogatari movies are a masterpiece in terms of animation and art style, i just love it, it just seems so unique and good looking.
Sep 14, 2020 1:17 PM

Jan 2009
people hating on 3D animation when in a few more years it will improve and become so much cheaper than 2D animation thanks to Moores Law and AI/machine learning so 3D animation is the future

2.5D animation style is the future hopefully though like Land of Lustrous as already been said
Sep 14, 2020 1:23 PM

Jul 2016
It's kinda hard for me to pin down tbh. I like the more abstract styles like any given Shinbou or Yuasa show, but I think my favourite is something more grounded in reality, but with a lot of detail and colour.

As for the worst, same problem. The best I can think up is anything that looks like it was made on an assembly line. I wish I could get more specific than that. Anyway, here's a screenshot from Fuuka which hopefully communicates my point better than my words can.
Sep 14, 2020 1:26 PM

Dec 2018
Best: Kara no Kyoukai Film series
Worst: Dr.Stone
Sep 14, 2020 1:39 PM

Feb 2020
Ur never gonna find an answer for worst animation lol. The worst animation is the type that makes it not a watchable show. Y'all can just mention shows u didn't like, and a particular part abt the animation production may have put u off more, and that makes sense.

For me, Violet Evergarden is easily the most visually pleasing show I've ever seen. Almost all KyoAni shows have a very high production quality in the visual front, so I'll leave it as just that for now from that studio. Just kidding, I have to mention A Silent Voice too because that was amazing.

Madhouse has always delivered, but One Punch Man and No Game No Life stand head and shoulders above the rest in animation and art, respectively.

Attack on Titan is really good at its depiction of the world and setting, and has amazing fight scenes. The bold line character designs really pleased me. Hopefully MAPPA brings the heat in the visual department as well with the coming season.

Obviously, there's a ton more, but I'm lazy and this is all I can think of rn.

Please sign up for MangAlert! It's a little project I made that I'd really like to see the light of day and some users.

MangAlert! (please sign up!)
GitHub Repo (please star!)
Sep 14, 2020 2:01 PM
Jul 2018

I think that Princess Connect! Re:Dive has both the best art style and animation, for now. Usually the anime in which Cygames is involved have very high quality and this time they've made something really excellent.

  » View Opening
  » View Ending
Sep 14, 2020 2:19 PM

Feb 2020
Best: AOT, Mob Psycho, OPM S1, Megalo Box

Worst: Onara Gorou I guess

IT'S NEVER OGRE
Sep 14, 2020 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
Best art style - Akio Watanabe's designs, Violet Evergarden, Koe No Katachi.
Worst art style - I don't really hate any specific art styles. But if I had to choose, it will probably of the extremely generic ones like Isekai Cheat Magician, Hachi-Nnte etc. and etc.
Best animation style - Kizumonogatari, Zankyou No Terror, Mushishi.
Also, I love this animation style.

Unfortunately, the anime never reached the level of the PV.
Worst animation style (extremely unpopular opinions) - Demon Slayer, SAO Alicization, Princess Connect Re Dive.
Sep 14, 2020 3:06 PM

Apr 2020
I agree with Shingeki no Kyojin
Worst: Tower of God
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Sep 14, 2020 4:01 PM

Aug 2016
Best Animation: Redline . HM: Akira
Worst Animation: Other than probably the obscure, 1-man, 1 episode shorts...probably Vampire Holmes

Best Art style: If this is more referring to character design, then Digimon, given the variety and volume of its designs. If this is a more generalized, I'd probably go with Katanagatari.
Worst Art style: Hard to say. Off the top of my head, I guess Kemonozume
Sep 14, 2020 4:23 PM
Dec 2017
Best-Kimetsu no yaiba, One punch man season 01, Haikyuu, Kuroko no basket, One-Piece, Naruto series (the animation of fight scenes were awesome), Hunter X Hunter 2011

Worst-Black Clover(the animation of fight scenes are terrible), One punch man season 02, Ping Pong the Animation (although the storytelling was awesome)
Sep 14, 2020 9:56 PM
Jul 2018
Best: Cowboy Bebop

Worst: Higurashi (still a good show tho)
Sep 14, 2020 10:18 PM

Jun 2020
To me the best was FSN heaven feels the animation was so good.

The worst one was Nanatsu no Taizai(season 3) my hope on season 3 was very high I was expecting the Escanor vs Meliodas I was very hype on it but when I watch a few episodes of it before Escanor vs Meliodas the animation was pretty shitty and so I waited and when the it was about to happen I literally scream like wtf just happened to the animation so I hope the animation will went well on the next season I don't want to be disappointed again.
Sep 14, 2020 10:34 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
i did like assassination classroom's crisp art style, brought something just slightly unique to the table. and I dont have an art style i dislike because i'm here watching anime looking for a dam good story and not caring too much about the art- sure it elevates it to high levels but at the end of the day that's far from my focus. But yeah if i had to choose an art style i didn't really prefer that would be isekai animation in general, bland stuff man. at least no game no life changed it up a bit with those bright colors... oh my eyes

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 14, 2020 10:47 PM

Dec 2014
worst art style that i saw was the anime version of Aku no Hana.
if you compare it to the evolution of the manga's drawing from start to finish.

animes made by kyoto animation and ufotable were great.
Sep 14, 2020 10:54 PM

Oct 2010
Ping Pong has a hideous and ugly artstyle but the animation is superb.
5 star stories has an incredible animation, the best in the bussiness, it helps that it's a OVA, the creators had time to make it. The artstyle is too shoujo for my taste but it looks gorgeus.
Sep 14, 2020 10:55 PM

Feb 2020
Best Animation: ufotable shows (Fate series, KnY), Mob Psycho 100 (and other Bones shows)
Worst Animation: anything CGI

Best Art: No Game No Life
Worst Art: From what I've seen, I don't like the art in Science SARU shows at all. Regardless of whether the anime is actually good or not, I would hesitate watching an anime by that studio.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 14, 2020 11:01 PM

Jun 2020
Best animation: anything ufotable, like deadass
worst: them fuckin cgi movies

Art: Violet Evergarden and KnK
Worst: Devilman Crybaby
Sep 14, 2020 11:04 PM
Jul 2018
Mob Psycho 100 has the best art style for me
I don't know what has the worst though
Sep 14, 2020 11:11 PM

Feb 2017
Best: Some good ones have already been mentioned, like Shingeki no kyojin and Ping Pong, but I am quite a fan of Eizouken, the art style and animation really makes the anime have a fun feeling.

Worst: It's hard to choose a single anime, but I really hate all 3DCG anime. And no matter what anyone says about Houseki no Kuni or Beastars cannot change my mind.

I have the whole scale, I'm gonna use the whole scale.
Sep 14, 2020 11:13 PM
Apr 2018
Best artstyle: Most of Monogatari, Hyouka, Violet Evergarden, AOT, 3-gatsu, and Great Pretender.

Worst artstyle: Clannad (though I didn't think it was bad after a few episodes), Boruto, OPM S2 and GoHS
Sep 14, 2020 11:16 PM

Jun 2016
worst: Ping Pong.
best: Ping Pong.
Sep 14, 2020 11:28 PM
Sep 2020
Best style: Ergo Proxy, Vampire Knight and Nana
Worst style: I just don't like over cute style, as I don't like it, I don't watch it, so I don't know any names.
Sep 14, 2020 11:32 PM

Jun 2020
Best: Kimi no Na wa. No debate

Worst: Tower of God, Ping Pong the animation, Berserk 2016, any Chinese 3DCG xue hua piao piao animation, One Piece, Devilman Crybaby etc.

I said keep your hands on the table
Sep 14, 2020 11:33 PM

Dec 2017
Best: Of course KyoAni dumping all of these plebs, Makoto Shinkai stuff, and Oregairu new art style.
Worst: Probably Madoka, the rest of the show I watched has at least a decent art style.
Sep 14, 2020 11:38 PM

Dec 2018
Best art style for me is Attack on Titan, Violet Evergarden was also great I like this realistic look.

Worst : I am not sure about that but it coming first to the mind because I watching it right now: Jojo first season, I hope it getting better later. I watched first 8 jojo episodes and for now I would say its more ambitious Chargeman Ken ( no offense for fans) .
ReegrezSNKSep 14, 2020 11:47 PM
Sep 15, 2020 3:17 PM

Nov 2012
Best: Studio Ghibli. The backgrounds are absolutely beautiful and there's so much detail.

Worst: Abunai Sisters. Just look at these character designs.
Sep 15, 2020 6:06 PM

Feb 2019
There's your usual good answers like AOT and Kyoani which are really well done shows but I'm also fan of the sketchy style like the art used is Megalo Box.

I'm a bit of Gintama fanboy but one thing i really like about the art in Gintama is the fact that all the characters body's are proportionate to their age.

The worst I've seen is probably Kingdom. Although the Story is amazing and I gave season 2 a 10/10, the art and animation is pretty garbage. I kinda got used to it but someone who is picky about that kinda thing would throw a fit!
“EL PSY CONGROO!!!” ― Hououin Kyouma
Sep 15, 2020 8:18 PM

Dec 2019
IMO:

Best animation:
-Nasume yuujinchou (also art)
-Fate
-Denpa-tenki na kanojo (also art)
-Kino no tabi
-Bungou stray dogs (also art)

Best art:
-Mahou shoujo Madoka Magica (also animation)
-Bonjour♪Koiaji Pâtisserie
-Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
-Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume

Worst animation:
-Armed Blue Gunvolt
-Ao Oni The Animation (Movie)

Worst art:
-Kimetsu no yaiba
-Boku no hero academia

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
-Kino's Journey
Sep 15, 2020 9:34 PM

Aug 2017
best art syle imo come from kyoto animation like koe no katachi and violet evergarden. Ad the worst art style Ore ga Suki nano
Sep 15, 2020 11:33 PM

Jul 2019
ChartTopper60 said:
(don't conflate art style with animation please lol triggered n shiz)

I don't have a least favorite art style, but animation? Definitely Berserk 2016.

I don't think the art style itself was bad. I just think the animation and CG is. Remember, bad animation disrupts the stability and consistency of the art style. In 2016, CG animation in terms of anime was highly untrained and just overall looked jarring as hell.
Overall, I think Berserk is made for 2D animation in terms of adaptation. I mean, shit, look at this art. That looks phenomenal to me, but... when in motion... It's a real shitload of fuck.

I think Studio Orange is making some of the best steps of translating 2D style to 3D with the likes of Land of the Lustrous and Beastars, which have both phenomenal art and CG animation. There are scenes that even look like 2D animation.

Some earlier steps include the likes of Oban Star Racers, which 15 years ago had pretty damn good CG. Even the original draft/short animation of Oban from 2001, which had CG animation, was very impressive for its time.

Yaoyorozu and TMS Entertainment also has some pretty good CG animation. Although it was obviously 3D, a good start to translation 2D to 3D. Also, some are just blatantly 3D, but done well.

In terms of favorite art style, definitely everything in my favorites, but Love Live! is at the top because of just how personally impactful the series is to me. Anyway, here are some.

Lupin III the first is like Pixar level CG
Sep 16, 2020 12:58 AM

Jul 2014
TopCute said:

I think that Princess Connect! Re:Dive has both the best art style and animation, for now. Usually the anime in which Cygames is involved have very high quality and this time they've made something really excellent.

  » View Opening
  » View Ending
Yess, totally agree. The best art in 2020. The one that really impress me is the lightning so detailed and the coloring so good. Also the scenery polished very good and the tone of the anime so relaxing. I really enjoy my time. Well, yes Cygames made good high quality anime but this is just simply their best.
Sep 16, 2020 1:02 AM

Nov 2019
The anime that has the best art style in my opinion is either Mononoke or The Tatami Galaxy

I don't really have an art style I hated so I don't know if there's a worst for me.

Sep 16, 2020 1:54 AM

Sep 2020
deg said:
inb4 Aku No Hana because its rotoscoping animation when some 2D animation right now like from ufotable and Gundam Unicorn for example uses rotoscoping of 3D animation/models a lot

I thought what was so great about the visual style of Aku no Hana wasn't the rotoscoping itself, but rather the way it was in complete service of the programme's atmosphere. The uncanny valley aesthetic emphasised the awkwardness and discomfort Kasuga felt in his own skin, and the vagueness of the characters' facial features accentuated the issues of insecurity and identity that they (especially Kasuga) wrestled with (although this was probably more of a practical issue rather than a purely artistic choice). So I wouldn't praise the rotoscoping as such, but it was so effective in this instance, it provided one of the most aesthetically distinct experiences I've had with animation.

I also liked Serial Experiments Lain in this regard - the character designs struck a good balanced between realism and caricature, creating a similar (but distinct) sense of discomfort to Aku no Hana, and the colours were pale and muted, conjuring a sense that the world we were occupying was fragile and ephemeral. It struck a suitably eerie tone. Probably my favourite piece from any animated medium all things considered.
Sep 16, 2020 2:03 AM

Jan 2009
Hegesias said:
deg said:

I thought what was so great about the visual style of Aku no Hana wasn't the rotoscoping itself, but rather the way it was in complete service of the programme's atmosphere. The uncanny valley aesthetic emphasised the awkwardness and discomfort Kasuga felt in his own skin, and the vagueness of the characters' facial features accentuated the issues of insecurity and identity that they (especially Kasuga) wrestled with (although this was probably more of a practical issue rather than a purely artistic choice). So I wouldn't praise the rotoscoping as such, but it was so effective in this instance, it provided one of the most aesthetically distinct experiences I've had with animation.

I also liked Serial Experiments Lain in this regard - the character designs struck a good balanced between realism and caricature, creating a similar (but distinct) sense of discomfort to Aku no Hana, and the colours were pale and muted, conjuring a sense that the world we were occupying was fragile and ephemeral. It struck a suitably eerie tone. Probably my favourite piece from any animated medium all things considered.

ye i agree its not the rotoscoping itself is the complain of fans but the characters are not waifu looking lol like they even rotoscope directly the faces of the live action actors/actresses
Sep 16, 2020 2:10 AM
Apr 2020
My favorite artstyle will have to be Kill la Kill or TRGL. I like MP100 and No game no life as well.

My least favorite artstyle will be for the dude making Ping Pong or Devilman Crybaby. The animation is mostly fine and the anime themselves are good, but I dont dig the artstyle.

Shout out to that Pain Vs Nine tailed beast fight from Naruto
Sep 16, 2020 2:51 AM

Sep 2020
deg said:
ye i agree its not the rotoscoping itself is the complain of fans but the characters are not waifu looking lol like they even rotoscope directly the faces of the live action actors/actresses

Yeah, I think it's a shame that the art style seemed to be so coldly received, seemingly because it didn't rely on a more standard anime visual style. To me, this was a strength that elevated the series beyond what it might have otherwise been
Sep 16, 2020 6:07 AM

Aug 2020
The best art style is just about anything by Leiji Matsumoto. The worst is just about anything not done by Leiji Matsumoto.
Nov 7, 2020 11:29 AM
Nov 2020
My Hero Academia Season 1 and the 1st of Season 2 has the worst art style when it comes to the Main Protagonist in Anime and also in the manga. I hate how they drew Deku like a stick to show him weak and unfit . they could have just drawn an average unfit build. Then once he completes 10 months physical training, He is drawn muscular but not that great. He should've been drawn a bit more bigger in physique for his height I mean 10 months of intense physical training should have given even a bigger build. i hoped that this art design would be fixed in the next chapters or episodes but i was wrong. thats the last time we see this physique of his until season 2. After that throughout the next episodes in Season 1 starting from entrance exam to USJ arc, he is drawn much smaller and horrible (in school uniform, hero costume and casual clothes) in each episodes [majority of them in season 1] while all other characters are drawn great. In the Quirk Apprehension test episode, Deku and all characters are drawn well. In this arc, the characters who are taller than him are drawn bigger in physical size whereas the characters who are shorter than him (Tsuyu, Ochako, jiro and Tokoyami to mention a few) are drawn smaller in size and that actually makes sense. in the USJ episodes the same characters although shorter than Deku, are drawn well and they look bigger in size while Deku is drawn to like a stick. The Author and anime drew him as if he never was muscular and well built and like never did that hellish intense physical training. Heck even Mineta is drawn perfectly for his height. In Season 2 and its chapters, again Deku is drawn worst until the Hero Killer arc where he is again drawn exactly like how he was in that beach scene or panel in season 1 interms of his Physique and this is how he should've been drawn from the S1 Entrance exam arc to Hero killer arc. Instead we get an inconsistent and a pathetic design for Deku. Seriously worst art style My Hero Academia anime and Manga.
Nov 7, 2020 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
Don't think there's a best

The worst is by far Berserk 2016
Nov 7, 2020 11:44 AM

Oct 2020
Attack on Titan and Haikyuu!! have art styles that are both realistic, distinct, but also cartoony.
Love, love, love Demon Slayer's art and animation. Oreimo's art style is the cutest.

Recently, Code Geass's animation was pretty ugly to me. Also I dislike the Konosuba art style for some reason. All the characters seem ugly instead of attractive.

Beserk has a great art style, the recent anime's CGI animation is just the worst though. Also or it is just me, but has the animation in Haikyuu!!'s recent episodes been worst lately?
Nov 7, 2020 11:52 AM

May 2018
The best art is from 80s futuristic OVAs - Macross, Dirty Pair, Megazone, Dominion.
The worst - Naruto fillers and new Berserk.
Edit: how could I forget about Twinkle Nora lol.
just look at this (it's not lagging or something, it's the actual animation)
Nemo_NiemandNov 7, 2020 12:01 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

38 by Absurdo_N »»
2 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

65 by Vendicator »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - Yesterday

17 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
18 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 hours ago

9 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
20 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

41 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.