Forum Settings
Forums

Have you tried watching anime in much faster speed?

New
Sep 14, 2020 6:00 AM
Jun 2020
I know anime needs to be enjoyed, but have you tried increasing the speed on a episode(s) that you didn't like or you find boring?

Well i do watch Kanojo, Okarishimasu in 2x/4 speed because i don't find the anime interesting at all, but i still wanna watch it rather than drop it.

Edit : I still watch anime on normal speed, im just speeding it up when im getting bored on the episode.
Edit #2 : The 4x on the site I use isn't really fast based on what you're thinking.
Kaiz-Sep 16, 2020 9:39 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 14, 2020 6:06 AM

May 2018
If there's a specific scene/episode I find boring, then yes I will speed it up
Sep 14, 2020 6:14 AM

Jan 2020
4x!? Damn.
If I hate an episode or a scene that much I'll probably drop it.
Also, Speeding stuff up isn't really fair since if things got better (Like a good piece of dialogue or music) You wouldn't really notice, So I don't really know what the point of watching it other than saying to someone that you watched it.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Sep 14, 2020 6:18 AM
Jun 2020
Nalusa_Falaya said:
4x!? Damn.
Also, Speeding stuff up isn't really fair since if things got better (Like a good piece of dialogue or music) You wouldn't really notice, So I don't really know what the point of watching it other than saying to someone that you watched it.
4x isn't really fast, more like the 24 minutes episode will turn into 7 minutes... It's not that fast, i think? [¬ ^¬]
Sep 14, 2020 6:21 AM

Jun 2020
Lmao 4x. Might as well just read the wiki pages when it finishes airing and add it to your completed. The only two anime I've watched not on 1x would be:

Monster (1.25x, I'm positive it greatly improved my enjoyment of the show, Monster is slower than most shows out there and I get that the slowness of it all probably fits the vibe but I personally found myself much less bored at 1.25x. At 1.25x the dialogue and pacing of Monster is still equal to if not less than regular anime at 1x.)

Tatami Galaxu (0.75x holy shit? 5 minutes in the show and they've already said more words than I do in a day. Had to pause that shit and go all the way back, set speed at 0.75x and then glued my eyes to the subs)

I can still understand people watching at 1.5x-2x (I really wouldn't) because I guess you can still understand what's happening in the show if only barely but anymore than 2x is just one being stubborn and hence wasting time because of it. You do you though. If you feel like you can process everything that's happening for what it actually is at 4x then great.
This anime shit is addictive
Sep 14, 2020 6:21 AM
Jul 2018
Bro, I can't even keep up with some anime in regular speed.
Sep 14, 2020 6:27 AM
Jul 2018
No. Speeding up anime ruins the enjoyment for me.
Sep 14, 2020 6:29 AM

Jul 2019
I've watched the last three episodes of God of Highschool in 2x speed. I'm telling you, it transformed into a comedy. Much more enjoyable imo. Other than that, I don't change the speed. I usually want to watch anime as it was intended.

A shadow always
high fives back.
Unless you're a mal user.
Then you'll get a whack.
.-- .- .. - |𓆨
Sep 14, 2020 6:33 AM
Jun 2020
spectrojan said:
Lmao 4x. Might as well just read the wiki pages when it finishes airing and add it to your completed. The only two anime I've watched not on 1x would be:

Monster (1.25x, I'm positive it greatly improved my enjoyment of the show, Monster is slower than most shows out there and I get that the slowness of it all probably fits the vibe but I personally found myself much less bored at 1.25x. At 1.25x the dialogue and pacing of Monster is still equal to if not less than regular anime at 1x.)

Tatami Galaxu (0.75x holy shit? 5 minutes in the show and they've already said more words than I do in a day. Had to pause that shit and go all the way back, set speed at 0.75x and then glued my eyes to the subs)

I can still understand people watching at 1.5x-2x (I really wouldn't) because I guess you can still understand what's happening in the show if only barely but anymore than 2x is just one being stubborn and hence wasting time because of it. You do you though. If you feel like you can process everything that's happening for what it actually is at 4x then great.
Yep. I can still understand the episode even at 4x speed, but if there's a important detail about it i'll put the speed back to normal or when i'm taking some screenshots.

(sorry about my grammar)
Sep 14, 2020 6:35 AM

May 2020
lol 4x can u even read the subs at that speed i tried to watch fate/stay night at 1.5x because it was a little boring but i coudnt even read the subs so i watched it at normal speed other than always watch anime in normal speed
Sep 14, 2020 6:35 AM
Jun 2020
syshkii said:
I've watched the last three episodes of God of Highschool in 2x speed. I'm telling you, it transformed into a comedy. Much more enjoyable imo. Other than that, I don't change the speed. I usually want to watch anime as it was intended.
Actually i watch God Of High School at 2x speed too, but i put it back to normal when the fight is interesting or there's a important scene.
Sep 14, 2020 6:37 AM
Jun 2020
Erwin_Danchou said:
lol 4x can u even read the subs at that speed i tried to watch fate/stay night at 1.5x because it was a little boring but i coudnt even read the subs so i watched it at normal speed other than always watch anime in normal speed
Yes i can still read the subs. I even tried 2x on Saiki K and I'm still able to read it.

Sep 14, 2020 6:40 AM
Jan 2020
I tried watching the last part of the Dressrosa arc in One Piece at 4x and it did work,seriously fck that shitty pacing.
Sep 14, 2020 6:41 AM

Jul 2020
I feel that it would totally ruin the music/dialogue therefore ruining the emotional impact of the show. So yeah, it's a no for me.

バンの一味
Sep 14, 2020 6:41 AM
Jun 2020
NRosTheGuy said:
I tried watching the last part of the Dressrosa arc in One Piece at 4x and it did work,seriously fck that shitty pacing.
I really need to watch One Piece soon. (^o^)
Sep 14, 2020 6:44 AM

Jun 2016
Tried higher speed once. I didn't like it. I'd rather have a podcast playing in the background.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 14, 2020 6:51 AM

Jun 2020
No, just skipping the summary or the Op and Ed.
This reminds me of Attack on Titan lol, really slow and has a huge time of summary.

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
ー キノの旅 ー
Sep 14, 2020 6:54 AM

Jun 2020
What the fuck? Why the hell do people speed up anime? Doesn't it sound weird? How- why- wtf. Don't watch anime if you speed it up, no matter how shitty it is, you can skip 5 seconds of some scene, but speeding up? Fuck that bullshit. Don't say you watch anime when you are speeding your shit.

I said keep your hands on the table
Sep 14, 2020 7:05 AM

Jan 2020
kaizzzzz said:
Nalusa_Falaya said:
4x!? Damn.
4x isn't really fast, more like the 24 minutes episode will turn into 7 minutes... It's not that fast, i think? [¬ ^¬]

I tried to watch some 4x speed clips and I feel like my brain will pop, I can either not focus on anything and just let things pass or try to get what's happening and fail miserably, Maybe you're faster than me in following what's going on, But I still don't really get the reasoning behind it.
To me it's just, Drop it or watch the way the creator wants you to watch it.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Sep 14, 2020 7:08 AM
Jun 2020
Arin-san said:
What the fuck? Why the hell do people speed up anime? Doesn't it sound weird? How- why- wtf. Don't watch anime if you speed it up, no matter how shitty it is, you can skip 5 seconds of some scene, but speeding up? Fuck that bullshit. Don't say you watch anime when you are speeding your shit.
C'mon man you're overreacting..... I know it's weird speeding up anime and not getting the enjoyment out of it, but in my case there are some scenes that i don't like that's why im speeding it up and i still enjoy it . What's the point of skipping 5 seconds if you can just watch it by increasing the speed? It's not like i watch all my anime in 4x speed....

Sep 14, 2020 7:19 AM

Oct 2019
No, but I was thinking about slowing down Tatami Galaxy when I first watched it.
Sep 14, 2020 7:23 AM

Mar 2015
4x speed huh... I'm getting a bad case of deja vu

But no I don't. If an anime is boring to me I'll just drop it.
Sep 14, 2020 7:35 AM

Jun 2020
kaizzzzz said:
I know anime needs to be enjoyed, but have you tried increasing the speed on a episode(s) that you didn't like or you find boring?

Well i do watch Kanojo, Okarishimasu in 4x speed because i don't find the anime interesting at all, but i still wanna watch it rather than drop it.

Edit : I still watch anime on normal speed, im just speeding it up when im getting bored on the episode.

Damn, reading subs at 4x which I still can't master, teach me sensei.
People who hate me are scums
But people who I hate are worse than scums.
Sep 14, 2020 7:43 AM
Jun 2020
Arizall said:
kaizzzzz said:

Well i do watch Kanojo, Okarishimasu in 4x speed because i don't find the anime interesting at all, but i still wanna watch it rather than drop it.

Damn, reading subs at 4x which I still can't master, teach me sensei.
Well i used to be in the Newspaper Club.....
Sep 14, 2020 7:47 AM
Aug 2020
So I've never speed up an anime, but I skip every now and then.

When I see an anime for the second time, I like to skip characters or arcs that I didn't really like.

Also with scenes that are just too much to be embarrassed about.

The Arc Endless Eight is of course excluded. I couldn't take it the first time after 6 episodes.
Sep 14, 2020 8:10 AM

Feb 2013
yes but just smaller speeds.... and to anime that feels slow, not necesarily boring/dont like

3-4x only when doing a quick recap/rewatch after a break from an anime or smth like that, never first watch
Sep 14, 2020 8:36 AM

May 2020
kaizzzzz said:
Erwin_Danchou said:
Yes i can still read the subs. I even tried 2x on Saiki K and I'm still able to read it.

well then u r a god if u can read subs at 4x
Sep 14, 2020 9:02 AM

Jul 2019
Yes. Since I try to finish all seasonal anime and anime and if they are boring I might as well watch them at 1.5x or 2x speed. Since I can read pretty fast I can still keep up with the subs.
Sep 14, 2020 9:07 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Nah that's a fuckload of shit in my opinion. I've said this twice here and I will say it again.

The moment that the product you are watching has to be altered, or that you have to be altered, then there may just be a problem with the original work itself.

Not that I have a problem with anyone else doing it. I just never would. I honestly tried to speed up Sonic X because of how much the episodes would drone on and on, but I couldn't take it. It's an awful show and if I have to speed it to 6x to even get the slightest bit of enjoyment, there's something wrong.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 14, 2020 9:13 AM

Dec 2012
Not this s*** again.

No that's pointless, anything that would require that is better off just dropped.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 14, 2020 9:16 AM
Jul 2020
Tried it. It was complete ass and wasn't helpful at all.
Sep 14, 2020 9:24 AM

May 2020
The only reason I got through Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) and Blood+ is by watching them at 2x. There's absolutely no way I would made it through either of those without dropping them if I hadn't cut down the time I was spending watching them.

You probably think its dumb to keep watching a show if you know you don't like it and you would absolutely be right but I don't like dropping things I've started if I can help it and speeding the anime up is the only solution that works if you wanna get through something quickly.

As for whether or not playing the anime faster than it was intended is bad, I personally don't think it is. It's not really equivalent to skipping an episode or two (which I'm also guilty of) because as long as the person watching it can keep up with it, I see no reason why its markedly different from watching it at normal speed. The only things it will majorly affect are the soundtrack ( which personally I never pay attention to most of the time) and the audio ( I watch subs, so I'm usually not even paying attention to the voices).
Sep 14, 2020 9:37 AM

Feb 2018
There was one time I did accidentally because it's what the site I was watching it on uploaded.

It ruined the episode and I watched the rest of the show somewhere else. Other than that, probably not.

For one thing, the sites and streaming services I watch anime on don't have that feature. Second, if I dislike a show, I'd rather use it as background noise or put it on hold indefinitely than try and do the speed run.
Sep 14, 2020 9:49 AM

Aug 2016
If I ever want to imagine the characters in the show I'm watching as Alvin and the Chipmunks I'll put it at 2x speed, if not I'll just say fuck that show, I'll watch something that's not boring.
Sep 14, 2020 9:58 AM
Aug 2018
No. I have never done it with any type of media. The point at which you need to watch it on a different speed than usual the show has lost its way with you.
Sep 14, 2020 10:12 AM

Mar 2019
didnt know ppl actually sped up animes, thts pretty dumb as fuck ngl
Sep 14, 2020 10:13 AM
Jul 2018
Nah. The idea of it just sounds wrong to me. It sounds like it's harder to get emotionally invested in the anime if everything's happening unnatural faster.
Sep 14, 2020 10:47 AM

Jul 2013
I watch heroaca at 3x and I still understand everything.the whole second season feels like filler IMO.
I do the same as OP with kanojo, watching it at 1x is cringe in slow motion, I really prefer watching it at 2x, it makes it much more bearable.

Some series are really good but still have slow starts/ pacing problemes. sometimes speeding up makes the experience much better, but that is obviously personal preference. Sometimes just changing the speed to 1.25 or 1.3 makes big diference. 3x and 4x are absurd though and would not recommend at all except some very specific cases.
pipeal3000Sep 14, 2020 10:55 AM
Sep 14, 2020 10:54 AM
Aug 2019
Myanimelist tards OOOHH GOTTA COMPLETE MOOOOOAAARR! Just drop it lmao who cares are the stupid number on your virtual profile
Sep 14, 2020 8:34 PM

Aug 2018
Nope, never tried watching anime sped up, Never will.
Sep 14, 2020 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
With all those high pitched voices, I'd rather watch it at slower speed
Sep 14, 2020 9:15 PM

Apr 2015
That would not be enjoyable for me and reading subs at those speeds with dyslexia would cause me to pause all the time.
Sep 14, 2020 9:33 PM

Oct 2014
kaizzzzz said:
Arin-san said:
C'mon man you're overreacting..... I know it's weird speeding up anime and not getting the enjoyment out of it, but in my case there are some scenes that i don't like that's why im speeding it up and i still enjoy it . What's the point of skipping 5 seconds if you can just watch it by increasing the speed? It's not like i watch all my anime in 4x speed....

I wouldn't worry about it. Dude seems to be fired up all the time for some reason. Speed watching is probably more common than most people realize. 4x is overkill, though. I wouldn't consider it watching at that point.
Sep 14, 2020 9:39 PM

Feb 2019
I sometimes do it, but I really prefer to play or see another video while I watch the episode.
Sep 14, 2020 10:39 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Dang I never thought of doing this. Sure it might ruin the effect for anime that were painstakingly crafted with love and care (ex. demon slayer) but if it's an anime with panning freeze frames of dialogue and what not for the majority of the run time, perhaps speeding it up a bit might do the trick. Again tho, emotional moments might get ruined where lengthy pauses were intended. Still something to keep in mind though, may try it out when I find a suitable anime

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 15, 2020 1:03 AM

May 2018
Watching at 3x/4x speed is like turning any anime into a parody show, why would I wanna do that?

It's a bad habit that kills the enjoyment imo
Sep 15, 2020 1:14 AM

Nov 2016
No I always watch at normal speed. Tried speeding up an ep of Hidamari Sketch to try it out and I couldn't absorb anything that was happening (why I didn't speed up an anime I actually didn't like instead of one I did like still baffles me).
Sep 15, 2020 1:26 AM
Jul 2018
wow 4x??? ahaha
But i feel ya, i did that like 2 times if i really wanna finish certain anime but it is too slow or just has parts that i dont find worth it i will watch it in 2x. I can watch everything like its supposed and also avoid wasting time on scenes that are just adding time and no other value... ofcourse aspects like music arent the same.
Sep 15, 2020 1:37 AM
Jul 2018
wangopo said:
didnt know ppl actually sped up animes, thts pretty dumb as fuck ngl

They do.
Some because they are retards and wanna another completed for they list. But most ppl just do it because there are parts in certain anime that are there just to add more time and no other value.
Example, I like the show [X] and wanna complete it. So, i watch most episodes normally but by the end there are 2 or 3 episodes that are extremely slow paced and quality declines a lot. It happens sometimes. In that situation i will without a doubt put on 2x speed so i save time and still watch everything. If something interesting appears ill put back on normal speed and enjoy that part ofcourse.

I have at least 2 friends who did that already with certain series.
Sep 15, 2020 1:43 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Here we go again... No, personally, I wouldn't consider being in front of the screen as the anime flashes past my eyes as watching it. I also like to see my stats go up, but it's still just sad that some people prioritize that over the medium itself (people here talking about"getting through" anime instead of watching it).
No need to rush to get big numbers, guys, you'll get there eventually.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 8 hours ago

31 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

76 by velvetnyan »»
11 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

55 by Pokitaru »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 6 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
41 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 11 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.