Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 6, 2020 4:06 AM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just got back from watching the movie. It was very good with pretty animation, and the new music was amazing!
As expected it's mostly dealing with the relationships (love triangle?) of Kaji and letting go of the past and moving on (and in) with Haruki.
Not too much Ritsuka and just a little bit more Mafuyu so if you are looking for anyone other than Ugetsu, Kaji and Haruki you'll be disappointed.
Sep 7, 2020 2:04 AM

Dec 2012
Does it continue adapting the manga where TV anime left it?
Sep 7, 2020 5:08 AM

Jul 2007
OzOkumura said:
Does it continue adapting the manga where TV anime left it?

They mixed/edited a bit but pretty much covers from ch15 or 16 to end of vol 5 (ch30 I think?).
Sep 7, 2020 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
I wanna watch it but i can't find it on my usual pirate sites. What do i do
Sep 7, 2020 12:58 PM
Sep 2020
No puedo ver la película, ¿Cómo le puedo hacer?
Sep 7, 2020 5:20 PM

Jul 2007
I don't think it will be available online until the dvds/blurays are out... may take a few months.
Sep 9, 2020 3:48 PM

Sep 2017
Just a little question for those who has watched the movie : did it feel rushed ?

Because I'm a manga reader and I'm kinda scared to hear the whole arc was crammed into an hour-only movie
Sep 10, 2020 4:43 AM
Jul 2018
Max_ge said:
I wanna watch it but i can't find it on my usual pirate sites. What do i do

Just wait for 6+ months and then it will be available.
Sep 13, 2020 2:35 AM

Jul 2007
Damuzen said:
Just a little question for those who has watched the movie : did it feel rushed ?

Because I'm a manga reader and I'm kinda scared to hear the whole arc was crammed into an hour-only movie

I didn't feel it was rushed, it was slow paced, and felt longer than it actually was. But they did cut out a lot to focus on Akihiko-Haruki-Ugetsu story, so I guess that was the sacrifice (Ritsuka was only in maybe 3 scenes or so, including the live... at least he and Mafuyu had one cute scene ;-;).
Sep 13, 2020 4:15 AM

Sep 2017
myth720 said:
Damuzen said:

I didn't feel it was rushed, it was slow paced, and felt longer than it actually was. But they did cut out a lot to focus on Akihiko-Haruki-Ugetsu story, so I guess that was the sacrifice (Ritsuka was only in maybe 3 scenes or so, including the live... at least he and Mafuyu had one cute scene ;-;).

Oh thanks !
By "cut out", do you mean towards Mafuyu and Ritsuka ? Have you read the manga ? Because in this arc, those two are barely seen in the first place, so according to what you told me it seems it's a good adaptation !

@Jalis tu as ta réponse, apparemment ça a bien été géré ! Reste plus qu'à attendre pour pouvoir voir le film :-
DamuzenSep 13, 2020 4:21 AM
Sep 13, 2020 4:16 AM

Jun 2020
How gay was it on a scale of 1-10? If it goes above 5 then I don't know if I should watch it.

I said keep your hands on the table
Sep 13, 2020 4:20 AM

Sep 2017
Arin-san said:
How gay was it on a scale of 1-10? If it goes above 5 then I don't know if I should watch it.

Haven't seen the movie but I have read the manga, and it's certainly a 8-9 out of 10

Pretty stupid unusual to come here on a movie tagged Shounen Ai and complain about how the movie might be gay tho. It's a really good romance however.
Sep 13, 2020 4:26 AM

Jun 2020
Damuzen said:
Arin-san said:

Haven't seen the movie but I have read the manga, and it's certainly a 8-9 out of 10

Pretty stupid unusual to come here on a movie tagged Shounen Ai and complain about how the movie might be gay tho. It's a really good romance however.

No for me it makes perfect sense. There are some shounen ai that have a limit on the stuff they show and its just not all naked boys kissing each other, and then there are some shounen ai where sexualization is over the top that at one point its just gross and makes me feel uncomfortable, this is why I don't watch most shounen ai.

Actually now that I think about it, I don't think I watch any Shounen Ai. The only reason I'm even slightly interested in Given in because it has the music tag and the poster isn't some older guy caressing some younger twink.
Arin-sanSep 13, 2020 4:31 AM

I said keep your hands on the table
Sep 13, 2020 4:34 AM

Sep 2017
Arin-san said:
Damuzen said:

No for me it makes perfect sense. There are some shounen ai that have a limit on the stuff they show and its just not all naked boys kissing each other, and then there are some shounen ai where sexualization is over the top that at one point its just gross and makes me feel uncomfortable, this is why I don't watch most shounen ai.

Actually now that I think about it, I don't think I watch any Shounen Ai. The only reason I'm even slightly interested in Given in because it has the music tag and the poster isn't some older guy caressing some younger twink.

Well, there are some sexy scenes in the manga/movie, but they're realistic and not over the top
Sep 15, 2020 4:32 AM

Jul 2007
There are very few "sexual" scenes (including one rape scene and a het blowjob scene), but nothing is explicit, I think the movie is rated for ages 16 and up. A few kisses, nothing over the top and the music was great.

Damuzen said:

By "cut out", do you mean towards Mafuyu and Ritsuka ? Have you read the manga ? Because in this arc, those two are barely seen in the first place, so according to what you told me it seems it's a good adaptation

Yes, it's a good adaptation! I enjoyed it, though I enjoyed the TV anime more. I did read the manga and I know they are not much in it, but even what they had was cut, except for one cute little scene, I am just sad there was not even a little kiss :')
Oct 4, 2020 3:38 AM
Oct 2020
I can't wait 6 months 😢
Nov 2, 2020 7:53 PM

Jul 2019
Damuzen said:

An hour? Shouldn't it be at least 90 minutes?
Nov 3, 2020 11:38 AM

Sep 2017
Rojaseb said:
Damuzen said:

Nope, the movie is 59 minutes long, that's why I was concerned about a potential rush
Nov 4, 2020 7:45 PM

Jul 2019
Damuzen said:
Rojaseb said:

Nope, the movie is 59 minutes long, that's why I was concerned about a potential rush

Aw that sucks. It's impossible not to be rushed then, it adapted almost the same amount of content the anime adapted. And it was the best part of the manga too. Sigh. So weird since this studio always does faithful adaptations.
Jan 1, 2021 11:32 PM
Dec 2020
I think it's good that the movie focuses more on the love triangle of Haruki, Akihiko and Ugetsu just for more appreciation of all the other characters and not just on Mafuyu or Ritsuka. Also, there can be a possibility for another season which goes back to focus on Mafuyu and Ritsuka, and I do hope that it will happen. But the manga is still ongoing and I heard that the manga content is probably not yet enough for a 2nd season.

I'm still being positive though. Since Given is so popular now, maybe Natsuki will work harder to make more content in a short period of time for the 2nd season anime adaptation to happen as soon as possible. Really excited and wishing for more Given seasons to come after this movie! I can't wait for the movie to be released worldwide as well! :D
uenoyamasimpJan 1, 2021 11:37 PM
Jan 6, 2021 12:14 AM

Jul 2019
uenoyamasimp said:
But the manga is still ongoing and I heard that the manga content is probably not yet enough for a 2nd season.

They actually already had enough content for a second season but they chose to use most of it for the movie.
Jan 6, 2021 5:29 AM
Dec 2020
Rojaseb said:
uenoyamasimp said:
But the manga is still ongoing and I heard that the manga content is probably not yet enough for a 2nd season.

They actually already had enough content for a second season but they chose to use most of it for the movie.

Oop-. Didn't know that. Sorry, I haven't read the manga yet. So does that mean that most of the Uenoyama and Mafuyu moments from the manga for this movie are not going to be used even in the future seasons if they are going to have one? If not, then that's sad. D:

I don't mind if it's a movie and focuses more on the other characters but you know, I just prefer series since we can have more moments of all the characters in a consistent manner and 1 hour feels so short ;-;
Jan 6, 2021 8:45 AM

Jul 2019
uenoyamasimp said:
So does that mean that most of the Uenoyama and Mafuyu moments from the manga for this movie are not going to be used even in the future seasons if they are going to have one?

I read it last year so I'm not 100% sure but both of them were barely shown during this arc. It was also the best part of the story back then so don't worry.

You will also be happy to know that the author IS writing faster now, so a new season could arrive by 2022 if the movie bluray does really well.
Jan 8, 2021 5:24 AM
Apr 2020
Is the blu-ray/dvd already released? If not what estimated date it will be? Thanks!
Jan 11, 2021 1:00 AM
Jan 2019
BD & DVD releasing on February 3, 2021
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1603196563
Jan 23, 2021 2:56 AM

Jul 2019

Thank you! Fucking finally ima do a rewatch
Feb 2, 2021 7:13 PM

Mar 2012
This was adapted exactly as I expected since so many pieces of my fave couple were left out of the anime proper for the movie. Also. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Feb 2, 2021 8:19 PM
Oct 2016
Interesting that this turned out to be the Akihiko and Haruki movie. Aside from the fact that it was just a double length episode more so than an actual movie length showing. Lots of winding pathways for the characters in this movie. Akihiko continuing on from where we left him at the end of the tv anime over a year ago now. His whole arc with resolving his feelings for Ugetsu was done really well. The last scene with Ugetsu reaching out but thinking back to Mafuyu song about how things are gonna be ok at this new beginning. Akihiko and Ugetsu had been through a lot so of course any disruption to that effects them both a lot. They've been entangled into each other all these years that it became painful to separate. Even as they each tried to move in a different direction it couldn't be done. Till finally Ugetsu makes a serious move of letting Akihiko know he's very moved on. Which leads to the most difficult scene in this movie, when Akihiko goes after Haruki so to speak. Painful scene to watch with Akihiko in obvious emotional pain while taking it out on Haruki whom really just wants to help Akihiko get through this. I'm glad they did end up together since I believe its the best things to help them both become who they're meant to be in this next chapter of their lives. My biggest gripe with the movie is that my favorite character Ritsuka Uenoyama gets the least amount of screentime at least meaningful screentime of the four main characters but his scenes with Mafuyu were all adorable however few they were. Mafuyu having a decent role in the movie with his song helping the three highlight characters all come to their realization about their feelings now. After seeing such a complicated love triangle no doubt Mafuyu got inspired to write such a useful song about them basically. The music itself was great in this movie. Just as good as the show. All the characters were done well and it did pull on my heartstrings.

80/100
Feb 2, 2021 8:43 PM

Aug 2019
As I expected they cut some parts of the manga, but those parts didn’t affect the pace of the movie so I really enjoyed it!
Feb 2, 2021 9:14 PM
Mar 2020
Not gonna lie this felt kinda rushed and messy, I love given so of course I enjoyed it but i have not even caught up in the manga and I can tell that enormous parts were skipped or rushed. Music was of course beautiful.
Feb 2, 2021 9:21 PM
Jan 2019
I loved the movie ❤️ but I felt they accelerated some scenes

I want to see more scenes from Akihito and Haruki ;-;
Feb 2, 2021 9:34 PM

Oct 2012
It took me two hours to watch it, and I'm still crying even 20 minutes later. lol

It's been a while since something gets me this emotional, so I'm really happy. Already knew what was going to happen, and yet this movie was able to evoke so many feelings inside me ♥♥ I thought I wouldn't get as emotional with the music since I had already listened to it, but yeah I freaking did.

The pacing bothered me a tiny bit in the beginning, but the later half was just perfect. *chef's kiss*

Now I'm just gonna go back to crying bye bye
Feb 2, 2021 9:42 PM

Jan 2010
I see people saying the movie cut stuff out from the manga, but I honestly can't remember what, since i read it so long ago.

while I do agree the pacing was a bit rushed, it was nice to see this manga arc adapted in anime form. I think Given works better in anime form since you can actually hear the music. I don't expect there to be another tv anime season anytime soon, because there isn't enough manga material for another season. Plus I personally really dislike the direction the manga has taken right now because the story is focusing on
Feb 2, 2021 10:23 PM

Jan 2020
Arin-san said:
Damuzen said:

I recommend giving it a try. The anime is less explicit about the gay stuff. No naked bodies, just cute wholesome moments and scenes. The movie on the other hand had a little bit more explicit stuff. It still does not contain anything perverted (ie it's not cringe). The music was nice, I personally loved the outro and was bopping my head to it. I would like to mention that I'm caught up with the manga, and the only thing I would reproach is that it was a little short which caused many things such as the development of Mafuyu and Uenoyama' relationship that I wanted to see, to be cut out. Other than that, I liked how they focused on Haruki and Akihiko's story.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Feb 3, 2021 4:00 AM
Jun 2020
They really cut a lot of scenes from Mafuyu and Ritsuka, but in the end we can see that there are some images, showing things that happened that were not shown in the film, like Take-chan cutting Haruki's hair, Mafuyu and Ritsuka talking to Shizu and Hiiragi in show, etc.
Now it's waiting for a 2nd season ...
I was very envious of the girl who was in the room with Akihiko kkk
but I'm really happy that he finally got right with his past and now he can be happy with Haruki ..
Ugetsu is also a baby who deserves to be happy....
Feb 3, 2021 5:06 AM

Apr 2020
This was too painful ಥ﹏ಥ
I didn't think love hurts this much before watching Given ...
Feb 3, 2021 6:12 AM

Nov 2012
Just watched the movie and i can describe it with one word: Beautiful!
Loved the animation, everything well detailed and amazing music, as always.
I'm pretty sad they skipped the scenes with Mafuyu and Uenoyama, but i still have hope for a second season where they could animate those parts somehow.
I wanted the movie to last longer tho :(

Anyway, i loved it ^^ .
Feb 3, 2021 6:40 AM

May 2015
naaa shut up Akihiko's story hit too close home. i cried myself to sleep

yupi, i know have a new song to listen every morning and cry
No matter who much you regret or wish,
if you couldn't do something in life,
you can't do it after death, either.
- Hanako
Feb 3, 2021 2:23 PM

Feb 2018
Pretty good follow-up overall I'd say. It was an emotionally-intense hour for sure. Love can be great, but can also hurt like hell, too.

Glad Akihito finally got some closure. I have mixed feelings about Ugetsu, but seeing his face as he turned around and looked at Akihito was walking away from him for the last time at the end was definitely a poignant moment.

I'm not a manga reader, but it felt like a lot was crammed into the latter half of the movie in particular. Like it went from Akihito leaving Haruki's place to the violin concert/competition scene pretty quickly. This movie probably could've used another half hour to an hour.

But to the elephant in the room (at least for me). I did not like this scene at all:

Just the term "basically consensual" left me feeling a bit uncomfortable if I'm being honest. I couldn't help but feel conflicted about everything that happened between those two after that scene, and I so badly wish that wasn't the case, because I liked their characters and was definitely rooting for them to get together going into the movie.

It didn't 100% ruin the film, but it brought it down to an 8/10 for me.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Feb 3, 2021 3:59 PM

Sep 2020
rlly hard to rate it a six and i really liked the movie but i realized that it's literally just a rapist/sexual assaulter (Akihiko) getting a redemption arc and the movie is focused on him and not haruki who was the literal victim..

like thats majorly traumatizing and they acted like it was okay. I tried to brush it off and like be like 'I don't forgive Akihiko but I can see how he's trying to improve and if Haruki likes him..'

but honestly the way that this movie handled the rape/sexual assault is just how many bl authors handle it (and I've dropped plenty of BL because of this but I didn't see the similarities until someone pointed it out to me) like it doesn't matter and it's something that people can be redeemed from or like if the person is in love with you it's not rape??

esp in the movie where he's like "i said i would do anything so it's basically consensual' like that's not how it works. you have to give consent before?? akihiko was 1000% in the wrong and them showing how haruki forgave him almost immediately and then they eventually get together in the end?

so yeaa i cant support this movie
Feb 3, 2021 5:16 PM

Mar 2016
Something felt wrong. Like, I feel like a huge chunk of the manga got cut. I don't remember the story from the manga very well, but it was definitely so much more satisfying.

Given's protagonist is Mafuyu. But, this arc focuses on Aki and Haru. As a TV anime or a manga, it would work, but it doesn't quite work as a film. It was hard to tell whom we were supposed to follow. They should have directed it in a way that made Aki the protagonist of this film.

The animation was also of a way lower quality than what you'd expect to see in an animated film. They ignored a lot of the 12 principles of animation. The absence of follow-through and anticipation was the worst. This isn't an action anime, so they didn't even have to do much to achieve a great result. On top of that, they used really stiff 3d models way too much.

They had released three songs for this film: Hetakuso, STEEJI Kara Kimi ni Sasagu, and Yoru ga Akeru. The former two, in my opinion, were far better than the latter one. I can't believe that they didn't even appear.

I kind of wish to get a second season where they redo this arc.
FuMomo-kunFeb 3, 2021 5:19 PM
Feb 3, 2021 10:47 PM
Jul 2020
its emotional. 9/10 for the movie. mafuyu and uenoyama moment at almost the end of the movie is cute ;;
Feb 4, 2021 1:08 AM

Aug 2008
like the anime i gave an 8, for me was very good
yes i read the manga, but i enjoyed a lot the movie too
yes few cuts, but for an hour movie they put the important aspect
at least for me
The spider is watching
Feb 4, 2021 5:37 AM

Aug 2020
“The reason I was changing was because I wanted to become a man worthy of your love.”

Akihiko didn’t redeem himself as good as I thought he was gonna, he’s still a creep but he’s changing for the better and I respect that. Haruki finally learned how to stand up for himself; i’m so proud. Amazing movie.
Feb 4, 2021 2:53 PM

Oct 2008
GEEEEEYYYY!!
BLERGH!!!
5/5.
7/10.

at least "Bokura dake no Shudaika by Centimilimental was great!
matias067Feb 4, 2021 2:57 PM

Feb 5, 2021 7:28 AM

Jun 2016
Even as a watcher who hasn't read the manga (yet), it felt rushed. But to be honest, they actually did a great job relaying the important moments to a movie that is just 59 minutes. It could've been really good if it was longer :(

I enjoyed the movie so much though. 8/10.
mdrtbh_Feb 5, 2021 7:32 AM
Feb 5, 2021 9:11 AM
Aug 2018
Due to several posts in social media upon ots release. I have this very high expectations for this movie.

So the pacing, i didn't expect it to be only one hour long because i usually watched movies 30 mins longer than that. The scene were rushed and it's like the major scenes is happening one after another. Especially, the last cause I feel like its just too sudden for Aki to fall after being with ugetsu for a very long time.

But i like how its portrays the feeling they have for each other. Ugetsu and Aki's relationship is something that I really like a lot (not the toxic but how they actually able to let go) It just made me think how really hard it is, to be in that kind of relationship. When you're both hurting but still going back to each other. It's like hpw do people enjoy a thousand of pain just for a single moment of happiness. And i really like that in the end they are able to let go and find their own happiness. (hope ugetsu will)

The Songs, how meaningful it is, how beautifully sang it is, it's just perfect for the story. I really love it.
Pisces05Feb 5, 2021 9:16 AM
Feb 5, 2021 1:34 PM
May 2019
I found this movie weak.
I've been hearing about it, people are crying over it, loving it, et cetera.
I understand why it was requested from the fans, Akihiro and Haruki needed a closure after the anime ended. I just can't deal with how much it has decreased on quality.

Animation was never a strong point for Given, but the show scene on the movie was terrible animated (not because it was CG), the frames repeated 3 times on the same "video clip", Mafuyu's mouth didn't moved and they never focused on the musicians' hands. The studio doesn't have any excuse for it, the movie was short, without fancy designs, colors or backgrounds.

The new music wasn't so good as before and I didn't even realized about soundtrack. What kind of musical anime is not full of music?

The story was ok. Ugetsu is a great character. The relationship between him and Akihiro is a real life problem-situation. BUT, there was that weird scene at Haruki's apartment. I rather don't discuss it, because, besides showing a possible sexual assault, the situation initiated but it wasn't well developed after.

I was impressed they put more hot scenes from Akihiro there, but it was a fine line between hentai and hot, saved only by the terrible animation.

They could have done better.
Feb 5, 2021 4:23 PM

Aug 2020
Wow wow wow wow.

It was cool to get a closer look on Haruki and Akihikko's lives. I wasn't very fond of Ugetsu when I watched the first anime but I started to form a soft spot for him.

Akihikko deciding to change just for Haruki was really sweet. I loved watching him play the violin.

Also, Mafuyu's song made me cry yet again. No surprise there..

I've not read the manga so I have no idea if this is the end of the series but if it is, it was rather good! I should really read the manga now...

Feb 7, 2021 10:33 PM
Jul 2018
We get more background about Ugetsu and Akihiko's relationship in this movie, as well as developing Haruki and Akihiko's relationship in the movie.(Surprised that Akihiko did know about Haruki's feelings for him) Not a manga reader but it felt like some content were left out/shortened, particularly the time between [after the band contest] and [Akihiko's competition] we were shown scenes of that interlude with a summary by Haru then went straight to Aki's competition, which was why I felt that maybe some content was cut.

A little too short, would probably have been better if the movie was longer... Hope if a second season happens, that it will fully adapt the manga. Compared to the first season, this movie did not feel as well-paced? Your mileage might vary I guess...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The apartment scene

CrimsonKing25 - Feb 3, 2021

23 by removed-user »»
May 18, 2023 12:11 PM

» Sequel just got announced

nushrathumaira - Mar 22, 2023

9 by Noornib04 »»
Mar 23, 2023 9:22 AM

» what are your thoughts on...

Steph - Oct 8, 2022

10 by bossunhimeswitch »»
Oct 8, 2022 1:44 PM

» Should I watch the anime or just read the manga

Yay267 - Feb 7, 2021

11 by Kiixiah »»
May 25, 2022 9:01 PM

» Akihiko or Ugetsu?

Crownmechaotic - Mar 31, 2021

4 by Surana »»
Mar 5, 2022 1:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.