Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Should the anime continue with a Sequel or Reboot first?
Aug 30, 2020 11:57 PM

Dec 2009
With the latest announcement of a new volume finally releasing out on November 25 in almost 10 years, what do you think should be done with the anime?

Apparently a sequel can be done but would it be best to create a reboot with a fuller adaption from the novels to then adapt this upcoming latest volume after the reboot is done to introduce new fans and build the hype again with old fans.
... I almost wouldn't mind either way but part of me would love to experience the story again as a reboot as a fuller if not completely full adaption to the novels instead of reading the novels.
Although rewatching the whole anime after 9 years just before the sequel is released would be fun as well.

I think I'd pick reboot to enjoy more content and have more material to continue out of later if more volumes are finished while the reboot finishes in a span of a few years, but they gotta keep the original cast. Especially Aya Hirano as Haruhi.
Aug 31, 2020 2:46 AM

Nov 2011
I personally don't really care about remakes as long as the older adaptation was not bad and didn't disgrace the source material.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 31, 2020 8:22 AM

May 2015
The anime for Haruhi holds up really well, I just re watched this past summer and it aged like fine wine, no need for a reboot. I am very excited about this new novel!
✦✦✦Join the Bionix club✦✦✦

Aug 31, 2020 7:12 PM

Dec 2009
Interesting. I'm somewhat surprised that most people would seem to want a sequel over a reboot,
but I guess fans would rather get a anime adaption continuation as soon as possible over more content from the novels with a reboot later than sooner.
Sep 2, 2020 4:55 PM

Jun 2011
I've re-read the novels not so long ago and re-watched the show and to be fair KyoAni made a miracle and adapted it pretty thoroughly, so there's basically nothing to add.
Also, I don't want anyone but KyoAni to make a potential sequel, because they will ruin it fore sure.
Sep 2, 2020 5:06 PM

Dec 2009
Stap-dono said:
I've re-read the novels not so long ago and re-watched the show and to be fair KyoAni made a miracle and adapted it pretty thoroughly, so there's basically nothing to add.
Also, I don't want anyone but KyoAni to make a potential sequel, because they will ruin it fore sure.
Oh. Interesting. Good to know. I had the impression that there was a lot left out or at least a decent amount of interesting context and details that was never adapted.

Thanks for sharing. I agree with KyoAni, I'd hate to see someone else adapt the sequel.
Sep 2, 2020 5:13 PM

Feb 2016
waalex11 said:
Oh. Interesting. Good to know. I had the impression that there was a lot left out or at least a decent amount of interesting context and details that was never adapted.

The anime is near identical to the stories it adapted. The biggest differences are
1. Airing order. But you can watch the episodes in whatever order you want since it's not currently airing.
2. Endless Eight. Getting the novel experience is as simple as skipping episodes 1-7 and just watching the last one.

So yeah. A reboot would basically be the same show that everyone has seen already.
その目だれの目?
Sep 2, 2020 5:25 PM

Dec 2009
@Lucifrost
Ah, alright. Thanks for clarifying on the details.
Funny after watching the first episode of the Endless Eight I didn't bother watching the rest and skipped to the last one when I knew of it from fans.
Sep 2, 2020 6:15 PM

Feb 2016
There is another difference I forgot. Someday in the Rain is a story exclusive to the anime.
その目だれの目?
Sep 2, 2020 6:20 PM

Dec 2009
Lucifrost said:
There is another difference I forgot. Someday in the Rain is a story exclusive to the anime.
Ah, I remember that. Interesting. That was a sweet episode.
Sep 3, 2020 1:44 AM

Dec 2009
@Dankiyama
Great points. Plus, as others clarified of the original adaption being a very full and faithful one a reboot really wouldn't be necessary.
If I could, I'd change my vote to sequel, haha.

I think instead of broadcast order like the first time I'll try experiencing the anime in chronological order of the novels whenever I rewatch it.
Sep 3, 2020 7:03 AM

Feb 2016
The novels weren’t in chronological order either. They were much closer to being chronological than the anime, but you get weird things like Sigh immediately after Melancholy, and Disappearance before Endless Eight.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_light_novels
その目だれの目?
Sep 3, 2020 11:18 AM

Dec 2009
@Lucifrost
Oh, haha.
If I remember right I didn't understand some points in the anime until I went back to quickly rewatch some scenes as fans explained the order of plot so I'm hoping with the plot order I'll understand the events in time better than I did the first time.
Sep 3, 2020 11:36 AM

Aug 2018
I'm not hopeful, not many people watched Nagato Yuki-chan so probably not
_______I like rocks__
Sep 4, 2020 11:29 AM

Dec 2009
MSAtlos said:
I'm not hopeful, not many people watched Nagato Yuki-chan so probably not
Nah, of course it will.
The Nagato anime was produced by Staelight studios, while Haruhi Suzumiya's by Kyoto Animation studios.
The fandom and sales of the new novels will bring the anime back, no doubt.
Sep 19, 2020 3:34 AM
Aug 2019
It would be fantastic if the series could come back. But at the same time if Kyoto Animation was to do it things would take a while sadly ;(
Jun 29, 2021 8:10 AM
Dec 2017
i want a sequel instead of a reboot.

Mar 18, 2023 8:19 PM

Dec 2009
New Question of Discussion:

What exactly did the anime adaptions cut, change or add from the novel? And what's next?
I read a review of the latest novel back off hiatus revealing that barely anything new happened aside from the gang chilling for the most part, with a cameo of a character from a club that was excluded from the anime.

... Did the anime cover everything already since 2010 after the movie was released?...
Mar 26, 2023 7:41 PM

Dec 2009
Damn. I had the impression it practically covered everything. I wonder why it never continued adapting more...
I'd love to know more and exactly what wasn't covered, if anyone is willing. 'Very curious.
Apr 8, 2023 2:55 PM

Feb 2016
waalex11 said:
I'd love to know more and exactly what wasn't covered, if anyone is willing. 'Very curious.
Wikipedia has a list of every volume and chapter in the series. Comparing it to the anime is a simple matter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_light_novels
They adapted all of volumes 1-4 and some of 5-6.
その目だれの目?
Apr 8, 2023 3:23 PM

Dec 2009
@Lucifrost
Thank you! I forget how useful wikipedia can be if they have detailed breakdowns of individual episodes/chapters. 

... It's shocking that they didn't continue to adapt the rest after this... I don't get it.

They still had Vol. 6-9 from 2007, which by that point, they probably would have adapted in a few years as 10-11 came out in 2011 which they'd be able to adapt a little afterwards. Then stop due to the novel's hiatus, to then the latest volume releasing in 2020... which I guess they could have made an OVA or skip it... unless it's later relevant with whatever is next... 
Aside from the ridiculous fan backlash from Haruhi's VA's personal life... I never saw or learned why the anime stopped... 
Apr 18, 2023 6:21 AM

May 2020
I don't really see the reason of doing a reboot. The adaptation that we got is as perfect as it is considering that the best animation studio made it, it holds up very well production wise in fact it still looks better then most of the anime that we're getting now days imo. I would desire for a sequel and also desire the same studio for making it, I know it's absolutely not possible but still it's a wish for me

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Apr 18, 2023 2:31 PM

Dec 2009
Is it really that implausible for this Anime to get a sequel, let alone by the same studio?... I don't see why not, even though I don't understand why they stopped.

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.