Forum Settings
Forums

How many of you actually buy physical/digital manga?

New
How many of you actually buy physical/digital manga instead of read online
Aug 28, 2020 10:21 AM

Mar 2019
How many of you actually buy?

Maybe you buy and read online, if you do. Comment!

I certainly buy and read online
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 28, 2020 12:29 PM
Dec 2013
When I lived in Japan I bought manga, but it is waaay more expensive on the other side of the world. Even if it is not translated, I do not have the money to buy it.
Aug 28, 2020 12:49 PM

Aug 2020
If a series I enjoy has physical copies available in queen's english I will snap them up. I don't like reading on a screen and I enjoy collecting stuff anyway.

I never bought a digital release, there is not really any point to it since it can always be had for free elsewhere.
SoftImpalerSep 11, 2020 11:33 AM
Aug 28, 2020 2:04 PM

Aug 2018
I actually have a pretty decent physical collection, but I’m planning on taking a break from collecting them and focus on blu-rays tbh.
Aug 28, 2020 2:29 PM

Dec 2009
I've bought three physical manga (Both volumes of Beast Master, and the first volume of Pandora Hearts) but as I've decided to not be a collector anymore (I never was but it was an idea as a teenager)

I've started buying licensed digital manga whenever I can't read a manga I love that I want to continue but can't for free anymore.

Since 2018 to be exact. First with the last two volumes of Yukarism.
Later on Cross Manage, Btoom!, Orange V6, and Toradora!

I only buy what isn't scanlated though.
I have a few I plan to buy eventually whenever I'm in the mood to binge-read them, such as; Real Account and Demi-chan wa Kataritai V8 which I just noticed is finally available to pre-order.

... That's all I think. One day I plan to learn japanese, so I assume by then I may buy some original manga if needed, unless I can read them all raw online.
Aug 28, 2020 6:39 PM

Feb 2019
I do buy manga at times when I see them, but English manga is just too expensive to afford if I want to buy every single one I'm reading.
Aug 28, 2020 7:11 PM

Jun 2019
Most manga I read online, but there are some I buy physically. I actually want to build a manga collection and I think it’s coming along quite nicely.

As for buying digital I don’t see the point because the reason I buy physical copy is for the feel of the book. If I wanted to read on a screen I’m just gonna read it for free.

Aug 28, 2020 7:33 PM

Feb 2019
I only buy second hand really, and even then not the whole collection.
Aug 28, 2020 8:38 PM

Jul 2017
Part of me likes to buy to own the physicals and sort of have a collection, and the other part of me is a jobless minor who cannot afford to buy every manga I want. Along with that, some things you can read online are untranslated if they haven't gotten popular enough for the western industry, so it's easiest to read them online.
Aug 28, 2020 9:13 PM

Feb 2018
i do like to collect the physicals for the series i really enjoyed, it's just that some of them are really hard to find and if i do find them they sometimes can be very expensive and i'm a broke college student so i usually just read online lol
Aug 28, 2020 11:49 PM

Aug 2018
I only buy physical manga if I know it will be good
_______I like rocks__
Aug 29, 2020 2:29 AM

Jun 2020
jaesuopso said:
Part of me likes to buy to own the physicals and sort of have a collection, and the other part of me is a jobless minor who cannot afford to buy every manga I want. Along with that, some things you can read online are untranslated if they haven't gotten popular enough for the western industry, so it's easiest to read them online.

We're in the same boat :D
Yup, online reading is usually better because more profitable and accessible, but it's always good to have some of our favorite series in hands!
Aug 29, 2020 5:46 AM

Aug 2018
I love collecting physical copies of Manga series I enjoy where possible. I also will purchase digital copies where a physical copy isn't available but I try to wait for them to go on sale in comixology as they have some really good value for money sales.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom but going by this small sample of responses and the current economic climate I think there could be a another Manga crash coming soon.

Just like 2011 crash, the Manga business is bursting at the scenes. We have more publishers than ever in the scene and Tokyopop has recently entered the game again after there downfall. There is an overwhelming choice of series to choose from including many light novels which seem to have middling to low sales figures. The ever expanding fan scanlation scene probably isn't helping either though I can't complain as I read scanlations too and many will continue to do so as it is the cheaper option. It should also worth noting that changes in taste tend to occur about every decade. Anime and Manga is often dictated by the Japanese tastes and the Iseki and fantasy boom will not last forever. Not sure how the publishers which are always going to be behind the trends will cope when they are publishing multiple long running series which nobody is buying. This is creating a high supply and low demand, something just has to give. A big giveaway would be if publishers start cancelling series before completion which as a fan is incredibly frustrating.

I sense much uncertainty in the future of physical Manga...
Aug 29, 2020 7:09 AM

Mar 2012
I have bought physical copies of Kyo Kara Maoh manga and LNs and from the experience I don't want to buy physical ever again. Manga isn't sold in my country so the shipping fee of getting them from another country is very expensive and like with KKM if I end up hating the series then getting rid of them (reselling) is yet another problem.

Since this year I have started to buy a few digital copies, if it was possible then I would have loved to pay for whatever I read but I'm not in the financial position to buy everything so for now I just collect points and buy 1 manga every few months. For the authors/mangaka I want to support and for the ones that I cannot find online (unofficially) I just add them to my "to buy" list.
Aug 29, 2020 7:42 AM
ぎりぎりセーフ

Oct 2015
I buy physical manga. I like having the collection of it. In my dad's childhood house there is a little library, with books, board games and a couple of good chairs. I wish to get a house one day with this kind of room, but I'll fill it up with manga and blu-rays instead.

Aug 29, 2020 7:43 AM

Apr 2016
I buy physical copies but when they are easily to find. When it's hard to find a series, I read scans and then if it become easy to find it I'll buy it later.
Aug 29, 2020 8:40 AM
Mar 2020
im too used to buy physical copies, buying and reading manga\comics has been my main hobby since my childhood.
Aug 29, 2020 4:25 PM

Aug 2016
I buy physical. I don't like to read manga digitally, only comics. I have just over 2k volumes in my collection, currently.
Aug 30, 2020 2:22 PM

Dec 2019
I almost always buy physical copies. I enjoy the experience of reading physical material more than digital, and it helps keep my PTR list in check. It can be disappointing when I find a series that hasn't had an official translation published in English, but given my current backlog, that isn't a major problem for me yet.
I occasionally write blog posts and reviews.
Sep 6, 2020 11:23 PM

Jan 2015
I almost always buy the physical copies if they are available. There's just something enjoyable about having a book in hand for me, and I love having things so readily available. Generally the only time I read online if it is a title that hasn't been translated or published yet.
Sep 6, 2020 11:48 PM
Apr 2019
I only read online if said manga hasn't been printed and translated or if I'm in a time of financial struggle. Digital is definitely out of the question for me, as it just doesn't give me the same satisfaction as reading physically. The only thing I'd consider buying digitally is hentai/doujin but only by my favourite artists, though I may every now and again look out for other good ones as well.
1PercentBetterSep 6, 2020 11:54 PM
Sep 7, 2020 12:16 AM

Oct 2019
Once I have enough money, I'd prefer to buy the physical manga. I don't really like reading digital manga.
Sep 7, 2020 11:18 AM

Sep 2020
I used to have about 2-3 years worth of Shonen Jump Monthly from around 2005-2008. I gave them all away because they took too much space, but I regret it. That's the last I collected any hard copies :(
Sep 7, 2020 11:54 AM

Dec 2016
I buy used volumes online when i feel like i can afford it. collecting is an expensive hobby RIP
Sep 8, 2020 6:09 AM

Jul 2014
Physical copy>Digital.
Like a famous man once said, buying the digital ver is like just watching boobs in front of a screen but buying the physical volume is grabbing, fondling, feeling those boobs all you want.
Sep 8, 2020 8:00 AM

Dec 2018
I generally buy digitally off places like bookwalker or amazon. I do buy a few physically but it’s much more convenient to just buy digitally.
Sep 8, 2020 10:05 AM

Oct 2017
I already got used to reading online. Plus, the manga I've bought is usually something I've already read digitally before, so I just do it to reread it again (which I never do).
So I don't really buy physical manga, plus it's 1) Expensive. and 2) takes a while for them to translate them to spanish (and I read manga in english, so reading in spanish comes a bit weird to me at times).
Sep 8, 2020 10:49 AM

May 2018
I've recently started buying physical manga, though I only own two volumes at the moment.

Sep 8, 2020 11:29 AM

May 2014
I buy physical manga for many reasons. I've never considered purchasing digital manga, I don't really understand it tbh.
Sep 11, 2020 4:16 AM

Dec 2019
I buy both physical and digital. I preferred buying digital for a while but I might want to buy physical in the future so I can share them with my partner more easily.
Sep 12, 2020 4:34 PM

Jul 2014
I went through a phase of buying digital but I do like to own physical more.

I actually prefer to read Manga digitally, so that's interesting, right? It's just more comfortable in my opinion. I can get through the chapters faster as well.

Nothing like reading Manga on a tablet comfortably in bed. With a book, my hands/arms would become sore no matter what I did while laying down.
Sep 13, 2020 6:59 PM
Apr 2016
Both, but here lately I've been reading online more. I've got a decent manga collection, it's somewhere around a bit over 400 volumes.
Sep 13, 2020 7:41 PM

Jun 2020
I only read Manga Online so far, might start a little manga collection though.
Sep 14, 2020 1:04 AM

Sep 2014
espy01 said:
I've recently started buying physical manga, though I only own two volumes at the moment.

Also, buying digital manga is stupid IMO, at that point you should just read it online for free.

lmao true but I like official translations/versions of manga more than fan-subbed..

OT: I bought some from Thrift stores though, some were quite cheap and no tax too.

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Sep 14, 2020 7:56 AM

Nov 2019
When I first got into manga, I read it digitally, simply because the thought of spending hundreds on manga was a dumb idea to me. Well, looking back, I kinda feel dumb, because the volumes make my shelves look colorful.
Sep 15, 2020 10:42 AM

Mar 2019
I used to spend all my money on physical copies of manga as a teen and young adult. But then life happened and I had to sell everything :/

But a few years ago I started collecting again. I really like having a whole shelf of them^.^

However, I do read some manga digitally too. There are a lot of series whichnever got a release here.

Sep 15, 2020 11:12 AM

Jan 2012
English or japense, you support the creator if you buy one so I usually by volumes from series that I like.
How I love a game
Sep 15, 2020 11:13 AM
Dec 2017
i'm a physical media type of person i only use digital from the free to watch sites in case its too pricey or not avaiable online or in store.

Sep 15, 2020 4:14 PM

Nov 2018
i read online most of the time and if i really like that title i would buy the physical book so i can re-read it
Sep 15, 2020 5:05 PM

Apr 2018
Most of the time,I read online and I buy physical manga if I like the manga, though I don't buy as much as I used to in the past.
I don't see any reason to buy digital manga as reading physical book is more handy and comfortable.
Well, unless there's only digital version of the manga.
Sep 15, 2020 6:10 PM

May 2016
i buy a lot of manga from bookstores because i like collecting them. as long as i enjoyed the manga ofc

。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆。

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

月光
Sep 15, 2020 11:35 PM

Aug 2016
I like buying physical copies of Manga. I like the feel of turning the pages and putting it on display afterwards. I think it looks real nice to have my Manga collection on display.

Sep 16, 2020 7:56 AM

Nov 2008
I'm a little upset that your poll doesn't include the way i prefer to read manga. In context, it should probably be referred to as "Read offline" - i download the entire series as a whole first and then copy it to my e-book to read while commuting daily. Though i suspect not many people do it that way nowadays, i think it's different enough from reading online as it doesn't require constant internet connection or membership on the websites that offer such services.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Sep 16, 2020 8:45 AM

Jun 2015
I only buy physical manga because purchasing anything digitally when there is a physical counterpart is a terrible investment.

💖 𝐼'𝓂 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃❣ 💖

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ 💝 𝒯𝓌𝒾𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 💝 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝒯𝓊𝒷𝑒 💝 ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆
💝 𝑀𝓎𝐹𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒞𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 💝
Sep 16, 2020 11:39 AM

Jul 2019
I prefer physical copies. I have a tiny collection so far and I intend to buy more as long as I can afford and enjoy it.
Sep 16, 2020 12:24 PM

Jan 2015
I've probably spent at least 10 grand on physical manga over the last decade. Always loved collecting. Never bought an ebook before, manga or otherwise. It's just never appealed to me.

My Manga / Light Novel Collection: EN | FR | LN
Sep 16, 2020 7:56 PM
Jul 2020
Eh, I prefer to read manga for free (I'm broke) but buying physical copies are only for manga that I enjoy.
Sep 18, 2020 12:53 PM

Apr 2013
I buy physical manga and physical LNs.
I have around 400 physical manga volumes and 700 physical LN volumes.
Sep 18, 2020 2:33 PM

Jul 2015
I do have some manga collection, I would always buy my favorite manga to support the mangaka. So far I collected almost the whole series of Saiyuki, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Shinshi Doumei, Tsubasa, and of course OTHER CLAMP MANGAS
(forgot to mention, I would prefer JP ver. since I prefer the original package/cover.)

━━━━♚ 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐬𝐮𝐤𝐢 𝐒𝐞𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐢 ♛━━━━

Sep 18, 2020 3:32 PM

Jul 2016
I don't buy the manga. My mom buys it for me. The first 3 volumes of this total $280:

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Tell me an anime with good female cast that is used correctly

kirA_-_ - 11 hours ago

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
1 hour ago

» Ur fav manga

Aoust_Adenca - Mar 10, 2023

19 by Otakupervert890 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

26 by Kurt_Irving »»
2 hours ago

» Ao Haru Ride Rant (Had to get this off my chest) Spoilers!

XGirl86 - 7 hours ago

0 by XGirl86 »»
7 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

148 by claricespectro »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.