Forum Settings
Forums

How much does a character's sexual attractiveness influence them going in your favorites?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 27, 2020 10:21 AM

May 2019
I mean, your username gives you away anyway lol

For me it really doesn't. I have my own separate list of attractive characters that I keep in my mind. My favs are usually unique people with interesting personalities.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Aug 27, 2020 10:24 AM

May 2018
Classic IPE thread.

Anyways, it doesn't. I have both male and female characters in my favorites. Considering that I don't really feel attracted to drawings, it makes sense why "attractiveness" is low on my list.
Aug 27, 2020 10:31 AM

Aug 2018
I'll definitely smash all my favorite characters.
Aug 27, 2020 11:45 AM

Jul 2020
...nahh
Most of my favorite characters across all media, I like them because I like their character arcs (or they hit waay to close to home). I also pick favs. if I like their personality & tropes they fall into

Most of the characters I find hot, I just like them because they're well, hot. Not much beyond that so it's not enough for me to call them a fav

HYPED for Monster Hunter Rise! (wish March 26th would come sooner)

---------------------------------------------------------------

I regret to inform you I'm actually terrible at monster hunter lmao
Aug 27, 2020 6:28 PM

Feb 2019
Not really at all, none of my best girls are in my favs list

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

Aug 27, 2020 6:36 PM
Super Saiyan

May 2017
It doesn't really make a difference really. Their design is always apart of if you like or dislike the character. But I can't say I have associated the look or design of one of my favourites with attraction.
Aug 27, 2020 6:45 PM

Oct 2013
Surprisingly personality matters more to me than looks when picking favorite characters. Which is why most of my favorites are males, since their personalities happen to stand out more in the shows I tend to watch.

If I were to focus mostly on looks, that list would be a lot longer and mostly female. Don't worry about which male characters would make the cut or why...That part isn't important...
Aug 28, 2020 4:26 AM

Jul 2016
Apakabar said:
I'll definitely smash all my favorite characters.

Nice, a man of culture.

Goblin Slayer and Happy Sugar Life are shit, though. At least they're not in your favorites.
Aug 28, 2020 7:11 AM
Jul 2018
My thought process would be:
Are they funny or interesting? Do I relate to them in some way? Do they have big boobies or cat ears?

If they check all those boxes I probably think they're pretty rad.

I have no reason to lie to you guys, I want a neko harem and I'm gonna make one
Aug 28, 2020 7:31 AM
Jul 2018
The characters in my favourites are mostly there because I think that they are well written characters. I try to exclude the ones that I can heavily relate to or are made to be attractive (or at least I find them to be attractive), since they are not usually made with a specific artistic vision in mind, instead they are made for people to attach themselves to (e.g. Hachiman and Ishigami) or to fawn over because of their looks (e.g. Zero Two and Emilia).
Aug 28, 2020 8:00 AM

Jan 2008
I don't really feel sexual attraction to anime characters. My favourites are based more on how much I like them and what impact they have on me personally. Looks only play so far as in how adorable someone is. And that's usually one of the lowest factors for me.
Aug 28, 2020 8:08 AM

Sep 2017
The only ones in my favs that got me...well...sexually attracted were Rei and Kurumi
خ
Aug 28, 2020 8:08 AM
Jan 2019
Considering I have Valac Clara from Iruma-kun, Amae Koromo from Saki, and Pu-chan from Gokujou Seitoai, I sure hope not. I choose favorites based off of how interesting/relatable the character is, and how much fun I had watching them. Sexual attractiveness plays very little to no role in my decision making whatsoever.
Aug 28, 2020 8:10 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Not at all. Quite to the contrary, I find people attractive not by their appearance, but by how well I know them & their personality. So to a certain extent, yes, because I find most of the characters in my favorites (including the male characters) to be attractive. In typical every day sexiness, not at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2020 8:14 AM

Jul 2012
It doesn't. If we're talking "husbandos list" then yes, sexual attractiveness would be an important aspect, but for favorite characters it is not. If some of my favorite characters happen to be hot (or I happen to find them hot at least) then it's a plus.
Aug 28, 2020 8:15 AM

Nov 2016
I favored some characters because I liked their design and some just happen to be attractive.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 28, 2020 8:17 AM
Jul 2020
Manaban said:
It's a huge part of it. I'm an ecchi fan, of course I put a lot of stock in sex appeal. Moreso than most, I imagine.

Also, big thumbs up to all of the people in this thread who say they don't care about sex appeal at all and then proceed to have literally nothing except very, very clearly designed to be attractive characters in their favorites. You're doing the lord's work. Everybody knows you'd like them just the same if they were giant sweaty balls of lard, because you really, truly only care about anime as a higher art form that's above such base impulses.

Wonder how many of you are also the type of people to rail on Accel World for the appearance of its MC :>

I think you are conflating sexual and aesthetic attraction.
For example, I like looking at beautiful landscapes for hours. I do not want to have sex with beautiful landscapes.

Same goes for anime characters.
People just like good-looking things on a base level.
Luckily, it takes a lot of effort for something to look ugly.
Aug 28, 2020 8:19 AM
Jul 2018
Well... My favorites list is mostly children and Onodera PunPun lmao. There's Kobayashi (who I absolutely 100% would date) and Ishida (who'd I'd maaaaybe date,,,) but nah. A character's attractiveness doesn't have much to do with it. My favorites are my favorites for how compelling I find them/how compelling I find their role in the story they're a part of.
Aug 28, 2020 8:21 AM

Mar 2016
It doesn't. I like looking at sexier and cuter characters, but I love or hate them depending on their personalities.
Aug 28, 2020 8:22 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
liebert_ said:
Manaban said:
It's a huge part of it. I'm an ecchi fan, of course I put a lot of stock in sex appeal. Moreso than most, I imagine.

Also, big thumbs up to all of the people in this thread who say they don't care about sex appeal at all and then proceed to have literally nothing except very, very clearly designed to be attractive characters in their favorites. You're doing the lord's work. Everybody knows you'd like them just the same if they were giant sweaty balls of lard, because you really, truly only care about anime as a higher art form that's above such base impulses.

Wonder how many of you are also the type of people to rail on Accel World for the appearance of its MC :>

For example, I like looking at beautiful landscapes for hours. I do not want to have sex with beautiful landscapes.

Ah, yeah. "W-Well, no, I don't want to see ugly characters, but preferring characters who are physically attractive has nothing to do with sex appeal, I swear! It's just base human preference!"

pray tell where that base human preference is stemming from

The way that you're going to interact with a landscape's attractiveness and the way you're going to interact with a human's attractiveness - and anime characters are much more often than not meant to communicate the idea of being human to a degree - are not comparable. Seeing rolling hills of green and finding that attractive, and seeing a woman with excellent curves, long hair and a nice bust and finding that attractive aren't one in the same. It's a false equivalence.

Sex appeal matters to people on some level - the amount of which varies from individual to individual, yadda yadda yadda - but if you're not an ace, denying it is ludicrous and dishonest to some extent. Your sexuality is not some component of your life and perspective that exists in absolute isolation from everything else about you. Things also aren't so black and white that you have to either go all in with the sex appeal or treat it like it's totally irrelevant - it's just one cog in the machine. No need to approach it with a total lack of nuance. I understand that I'm surrounded by virginal uni first years so I don't expect anything other than trying to take the equivalent of cooties and using that to project an image of high-mindedness, but it's always worth reiterating that things are more complex than that.

Lastly, just because this implication really annoyed me, the way humans interact with sex appeal and traditional attractiveness extends far beyond the scope of just "Do I want to fuck it?" That is ridiculously reductive.
ManabanAug 28, 2020 8:52 AM

Aug 28, 2020 8:53 AM

Apr 2012
I'm young and not asexual, so I would be lying if I said that the attractiveness of a character, especially a female character, is not important to me. But I respect myself enough not to be a simp who watches anime just for the sake of attractive female characters and determines their "value" by their looks.
Aug 28, 2020 8:55 AM
Jul 2018
a character appearance is irrelevant as long as i can connect with them on an emotional level or smt like that, uwu big pp kirito-kun is best waifu
Aug 28, 2020 9:09 AM

Feb 2010
Not much. From my ~115 Extended Favortes at the moment there's probably a dozen or so where I know it played a role, and even less where it's more than a minor factor. Heck, I can count how many of my favorite characters I would actively fap to and it's ~12-15, so about 10-15% of my favorites. You can pretty much divide them into two categories:

1. Characters that are on my favorite list purely for other reasons but I happen to be attracted to them physically - that's not why they're on my favorite list tho, just a bonus.

2. Characters that are on there because I had a crush on them, usually because of a mix of looks and personality - if they were ugly I wouldn't have had a crush on them, but they might have still made my favorite list in another capacity (or some wouldn't have).

But most of my female favorites I'm not specifically attracted to even if they look aesthetically pleasing. There's just a difference between a character being attractive and me actually being attracted to them in that way, and the difference mostly plays out in the personality and dialogue departments but also just in terms of specific personal preferences. Anime is so full with beautiful females, you have to have more criteria than just physical appearance to narrow it down.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 28, 2020 9:09 AM

Jun 2020
It doesn't influence my favorites in any kind of way. They're just there mostly because I admire them for their personalities/good traits, or because they're funny lol.

Aug 28, 2020 9:13 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Yes and no.
Sexually attractive is, to me, generically attractive.
Of course favorite characters get elected based on both chara design and personality within the universe.

Aug 28, 2020 9:17 AM

Aug 2018
Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes a good character story and some depth behind a character are all I need to favorite them with good character designs complimenting them as well. And I keep that as my priority over sexual attractiveness, or attractiveness in general.
If I was to favorite characters just on their sexual attractiveness, then bruh my list would be full of lewd women lol.

Why do you hate cats?

Aug 28, 2020 9:20 AM

Dec 2018
If I could remake my top 10 characters list, here's what it would be, in no particular order:

1) Yang Wenli

2) Askeladd

3) Spike

4) Misato

5) Obake Rintarou

6) Makise Kurisu

7) Jet Black

8) Guts

9) Oscar Francois

10) William Jones

All are characters I picked out in terms of character likability rather than superficial attractiveness, though I guess some of them could be considered attractive, depending on your preference.
"I saw the Emperor - this soul of the world - go out from the city to survey his reign; it is a truly wonderful sensation to see such an individual, who, concentrating on one point while seated on a horse, stretches over the world and dominates it."
Aug 28, 2020 9:23 AM

Jul 2016
All my favorite characters are based on how much I relate to them, not their attractiveness
Aug 28, 2020 9:30 AM

Aug 2018
Well my favorites doesnt really have many girl characters and its mostly badass guys (im straight tho) but yeah their sexiness definitely makes me love them more and add them to my favorites

Aug 28, 2020 9:37 AM

Apr 2020
The males in my favorites tend to be guys that I found really relatable in terms of their personality. As for the females, they all have a certain personality trait that I find unique and interesting, or they have a great story behind them in the case of Violet. Anyways, I do think that most anime characters are attractive on average due to the art style, and the characters that are below that "average" are usually like that for narrative/symbolic purposes.

Forevermore91 said:
Making characters sexy or having them because they are attractive as part of their persona is lazy writing and usually always ends up failing. In anime and espacilly in TV shows and movies. A lot of newer shows are victim of this. My GF watches a show called Shadow Hunters on Netflix and that is perfect example of this. Every fucking actor could be a HM model. Show looks more plastic then the ocean.
This isn't that relevant to the question being asked in this thread, but you hit the nail right on the head. I think this archetype is even worse in anime because a lot of the characters are generally attractive already, so the "my personality is my attractiveness" character really falls flat.
it's over | we're so back | don't take this too seriously

Aug 28, 2020 10:20 AM

Apr 2016
The way a character looks is a factor, but is not the most important for me

Aug 28, 2020 10:27 AM
Jul 2020
Manaban said:
liebert_ said:

Ah, yeah. W-WELL NO I DON'T WANT TO SEE UGLY CHARACTERS BUT ASKING FOR/DEMANDING/PREFERRING CHARACTERS WHO ARE PHYSICALLY ATTRACTIVE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SEX APPEAL I SWEAR! IT'S JUST BASE HUMAN PREFERENCE!

pray fucking tell where that base human preference is stemming from

The way that you're going to interact with a landscape's attractiveness and the way you're going to interact with a human's attractiveness - and anime characters are much more often than not meant to communicate the idea of being human to a degree - are not comparable. Seeing rolling hills of green and finding that attractive, and seeing a woman with excellent curves, long hair and a nice bust and finding that attractive aren't one in the same. It's a false equivalence.

That and the type of thing I'm making fun of isn't even due to saying that the series the character is from has an ugly on an aesthetic level, either. My main sticking point was how common it is for people to make fun of the design for the protagonist of Accel World, and that series has a very traditional and standard art style relative to its contemporaries. And I'd bet a good goddamn amount of money that most of the people doing some kind of autofellatio in this thread about how sex appeal doesn't matter to them at all are going to be the ones to turn around and rail on the MC's non-traditional, fat appearance in that series.

Sex appeal matters to people on some level, the amount of which varies. Your sexuality is not some component of your life and perspective that exists in absolute isolation from everything else about you. And the way humans interact with sex appeal and traditional attractiveness extends far beyond the scope of just "Do I want to have sex with it?", which is ridiculously reductive.
Manaban said:
liebert_ said:

Ah, yeah. W-WELL NO I DON'T WANT TO SEE UGLY CHARACTERS BUT ASKING FOR/DEMANDING/PREFERRING CHARACTERS WHO ARE PHYSICALLY ATTRACTIVE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SEX APPEAL I SWEAR! IT'S JUST BASE HUMAN PREFERENCE!

pray fucking tell where that base human preference is stemming from

That and the type of thing I'm making fun of isn't even due to saying that the series the character is from has an ugly on an aesthetic level, either. My main sticking point was how common it is for people to make fun of the design for the protagonist of Accel World, and that series has a very traditional and standard art style relative to its contemporaries. And I'd bet a good goddamn amount of money that most of the people doing some kind of autofellatio in this thread about how sex appeal doesn't matter to them at all are going to be the ones to turn around and rail on the MC's non-traditional, fat appearance in that series.

Sex appeal matters to people on some level, the amount of which varies. Your sexuality is not some component of your life and perspective that exists in absolute isolation from everything else about you. And the way humans interact with sex appeal and traditional attractiveness extends far beyond the scope of just "Do I want to have sex with it?", which is ridiculously reductive.

Hey - first of all, I think we have differing ideas of what sexuality is and is not. It seems you include any (or most) kinds of pleasant sensory stimulation arising from humans or anthropomorphised ideas to be a part of sexuality. Your definition puts sexuality as the basis of impulse.
I agree that sexuality does not exist in isolation, but I believe that the desire for our nerves to be stimulated in ways that allow our bodies to thrive is what comes first - sexuality is just one of many cognitive layers put on top of that. Humans like good-looking humans because, among other things, it is an indicator of good health, which indicates that that person can help provide their body with things that that they cannot provide themselves - on the most necessary level, that includes food and shelter to help them survive another day. We are, after all, sometimes wildly attracted to spend time with real life people that are not of the proper sex or even age range to help our genetic material propagate. And I don't think that's an error in nature.
Simply put, I believe the base prerogative is "Survive," and that "Multiply" comes afterwards, as a secondary or tertiary command. Probably after "Eat" or "Sleep", imho. That is also why I think it is not a false equivalence to that compare beautiful landscapes to beautiful people - both provides us with things our bodies need to survive. We learn the patterns of those things, and thus extrapolate that basic need onto symbolic humans, like anime characters.

Maybe my theory on how human bodies work is as much a blanket statement as yours, but since we disagree on the most foundational level, I feel that if we continue this vein of discussion we'll just be talking past each other.

Secondly, it appears to me that you are very passionate about this topic, especially the alleged hypocrisy of those posting in this thread.
I cannot speak about other's opinions on the anime you write about, but I am sure that others are posting with just as much sincerity from their own life experience as you are posting about yours. You may be directing your passion at persons that do not exist.
Aug 28, 2020 10:28 AM

Feb 2018
I don't really care how my favorites look to be honest, as long as I like their personality/actions/past etc. However, that doesn't mean that none of my favorites can look good, actually most anime characters look nice anyway and "ugly" or "unattractive" ones usually also get an annoying or bad personality (example, Hifumi from Danganronpa)

Aug 28, 2020 10:30 AM

Aug 2020
It influences them going in my favorites by a wee bit, I mostly care about character motives and thoughts. I choose favorites more so from character development and how relatable they are instead of by looks.
Aug 28, 2020 11:07 AM

Jan 2020
Attractiveness + enjoyable/cool personality = spot on my favorites. Out of the 10ish favorite female characters I currently have and add to my list from time to time, the majority of them are attractive. There’s obviously always exceptions though. Like I don’t consider Kagura or Ononoki attractive at all, yet I obviously love the former being a fan of the show, and latter is my favorite Monogatari girl if I were forced to pick just 1.
Aug 28, 2020 12:21 PM

May 2009
Attractiveness is probably part of it, but it gets folded in with everything else.

There are funny times when characters I thought were very attractive turned out to be pretty boring while characters I didn't pay attention to turned out to be super awesome and very attractive for reasons I wasn't previously aware of.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 28, 2020 12:40 PM

Aug 2020
_henri said:
The males in my favorites tend to be guys that I found really relatable in terms of their personality. As for the females, they all have a certain personality trait that I find unique and interesting, or they have a great story behind them in the case of Violet. Anyways, I do think that most anime characters are attractive on average due to the art style, and the characters that are below that "average" are usually like that for narrative/symbolic purposes.

Forevermore91 said:
Making characters sexy or having them because they are attractive as part of their persona is lazy writing and usually always ends up failing. In anime and espacilly in TV shows and movies. A lot of newer shows are victim of this. My GF watches a show called Shadow Hunters on Netflix and that is perfect example of this. Every fucking actor could be a HM model. Show looks more plastic then the ocean.
This isn't that relevant to the question being asked in this thread, but you hit the nail right on the head. I think this archetype is even worse in anime because a lot of the characters are generally attractive already, so the "my personality is my attractiveness" character really falls flat.

I always found it worse in regular tv shows.
You put your dick in a pie!
Aug 28, 2020 12:54 PM

Jan 2009
im a simple man so ye a lot no doubt about it
Aug 28, 2020 12:55 PM

May 2016
Shouldn't the mod delete the picture? I'm pretty sure that OP shows nipples?

And what do you mean "attractiveness"? Hot characters or half naked. Most anime characters already look good. Being naked doesn't mean anything to me if that is what you mean
Sep 3, 2020 7:43 AM

Dec 2018
Its a combination

I find lesbian kissing to be extremely attractive. And almost everyone of my favorite lesbian angels have kissed another girl .They are all my pretty little princesses but when they kiss another girl they rock my world,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Anime girls are soft aesthetically pleasing and beautiful creatures. Put them together and it become even more attractive

Sep 5, 2020 8:44 AM

Jul 2016

Sakura Trick is superior taste. Better than Yagate Kimi ni Naru.

(I erased my progress on anime I intend to rewatch. That's why Sakura Trick is Plan to Watch.)
Sep 5, 2020 9:50 AM

Oct 2015
Most anime characters look fairly attractive as far as physicality is concerned in my book, so I don't think much of it nor particularly care if that's all there is to it, since by nature of the medium it already selects for that factor. For me to specifically be drawn to a character in that way, they'd need to have something else I can appreciate as well, like their temperament, beliefs, motivations, turbulences and the subtle interplay of all of those in shaping the character. These all play into their perceived attractiveness in some form, so it's impossible to say "I'd be fond of this character sans any attractiveness" What would that entail exactly? See, it is futile to ask. If we're only limiting ourselves to physicality, then not much since as I said previously, the medium already selects for that characteristic.
Sep 5, 2020 12:38 PM

Feb 2020
It doesn't have any influence, my favorite characters only became my favorites because of their personality and psychology (sure, the design still plays a little role, but not the sexual attractiveness).
And actually, if it had any influence, I'd be in jail.
FafetteSep 5, 2020 12:46 PM
Sep 5, 2020 1:20 PM

May 2014
For me, thinking about Misa Amane from Death Note. She's is one of my favorite female characters in anime + she's super hot. However, her being hot isn't necessarily something I think about when analyzing her character, it's the whole package. It's her fashion choices, her career choices, her dedication to the person she loves. I would like a character like that even if they weren't necessarily attractive. Misa in this case just happens to be, which is a total bonus.

Sep 5, 2020 1:31 PM
Jun 2020
"That would never be why Makima is my favorite"
Sep 5, 2020 1:43 PM

Jul 2016
Absolutely nothing in my case. My favorites are my favorites because of how much I like their personalities or the roles they play in their respective works.
Sep 5, 2020 1:52 PM

Mar 2016
In terms of sexual attractiveness, the ones that are sexy in my eyes. Tend to be forgotton alot as they are all meat.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Sep 5, 2020 2:02 PM

Jan 2020
If they are good looking then it's a bonus, but it doesn't really matter to me. I am heterosexual and all my favourite characters are male. Girls in anime tends to be 90% of the anime annoying or bad written characters anyway, at least in slice of life/drama/sport anime.
Sep 5, 2020 10:04 PM

Jul 2016
Fraxxo said:
If they are good looking then it's a bonus, but it doesn't really matter to me. I am heterosexual and all my favourite characters are male. Girls in anime tends to be 90% of the anime annoying or bad written characters anyway, at least in slice of life/drama/sport anime.

I feel this way about MALE characters.

That's why I'll never add MALE characters.

(annoying, badly written)
Sep 6, 2020 1:39 AM
Jul 2018
Aren't most characters at least quite good looking? At least main characters.
But well yes, of course appearance plays a part too, although it's not about attractiveness alone, it's also about a unique character design.
Still, the biggest part plays personality and all. Don't know what to do with an empty vessel of good looks lol
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

35 by tmoverbeck »»
1 minute ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

74 by Konan_Edogawa_ »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 46 minutes ago

14 by Jonas-K »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

127 by EastIndiaCompany »»
4 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

5 by VeryRedBags »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.