Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Rent-A-Girlfriend
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 24, 2020 3:34 AM
Jul 2020
Nunbo_Arbur said:
Can someone please explain why Kazuya made her heartbeat to 90bpm so important to her? Also, I like how she just flat out said that Kazuya likes Chizuru. This won't end well.

I recommend watching the end for context, but Ruka wasn't really feeling a connection with anyone. And Kazuya saved her from falling down the stairs and essentially putting his safety at risk to prevent her from getting injured. Something that Ruka's clients wouldn't do. After that, Ruka was probably feeling exited near him and wanted to test her BPM and it was 3x higher than what she usually got from her clients.
Aug 24, 2020 4:50 AM

Aug 2014
This was great episode :D but I don't like she got him with crying, like a baby crying for a toy :/
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Aug 24, 2020 7:45 AM
Jun 2017
I’ve never taken so many screenshots in one episode in my life.
Aug 24, 2020 9:44 AM

Jul 2020
I don´t know what to think now. Ruka is strange, but the ending makes you understand everything. I felt really sad about her, and even though she may be a little harrasing, it´s because she never knew how to treat with someone. Also, she already showed more importance for Kazuya than any other character in the show. I predicted Ruka being best girl, and I have faith on her. Come on!
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Aug 24, 2020 10:05 AM

May 2018
ok Ruka is also top tier waifu material
Aug 24, 2020 1:05 PM

Feb 2008
Ruka has spirit.

Her past is undeniably unique, which puts her actions into perspective.

Too bad for Kuribayashi, though.
Aug 25, 2020 3:55 AM

Jan 2020
Expected Ruka to be a rental girlfriend as well, and it looks like I wasn't wrong. But I definitely didn't expect the ending of this episode to be a flashback of Ruka's past. Not sure if I'm a huge fan of it, though. And although Ruka's clingy and immature side is kind of exasperating, I still prefer her to Mami.
Aug 25, 2020 5:58 AM

Aug 2016
I feel like I'm the only person who is most interested in Cazuya's character development. I see a lot of people giving him shit and calling him a simp, but he's not actually a bad character.

And now here I am wondering why in a trashy series like this, I'm more interested in the MC than the actual waifus (not that they're bad, with the exception of Mami).

Aug 25, 2020 2:10 PM

Jul 2015
Ruka is a ticking time bomb, that can eventually turn into Yandere.
She is selfish, persistent and resorts to blackmail. This is a big red flag.

Aug 25, 2020 4:24 PM

Apr 2012
That voice ... I can't shake the impression that I hear Yui in her place. They even have the same manner of speaking.

MomoSinX said:
xkazutox said:

Don't skip the ed song. Anime decided to cut out Ruka's past (probably not enough space to put in the anime) and put into the ed song.

That was surprising..maybe they want to cram as much fan service in as possible so backstories are skipped lol.

It's even funnier than flashbacks during a fight.
Aug 26, 2020 5:28 AM

May 2009
Holy shit, this show such fucking garbage. Ruka is just a ridiculous character. I thought Chorizo was shit but each introduced girl is worse than previous.
Aug 26, 2020 7:00 PM
Jun 2017
For me this show lacked one thing and that was a top tier waifu, i don't like Mizuhara that much Mami is ok but now finally Ruka has come along and showed me why i should love her by simply being too cute. Since the show started airing iv'e been waiting for Sumi because she seemed exactly my type and she just dosen't seem to want to show up but that's fine because Ruka is my waifu, but when Sumi comes i'm gonna have to make a very tough decision that i dont want to make. On a less important side note i enjoyed this episode a lot especially compared to some of the episodes that focused on the other not so good girls.

Sumi or Ruka?
Why not both?
Aug 27, 2020 11:49 AM

Nov 2014
Ruka being rental was expected. What happened afterwards was not. Flashbacks during ending kinda explained her reasoning, but I wouldn't trust such "love" too much. Nonetheless she is great waifu - those clingy ones are always the most fun to watch
Aug 27, 2020 5:30 PM

Dec 2015
2 random girls in the street judging Kazuya are now my favorite characters from this show
Aug 27, 2020 7:34 PM

Feb 2020
Holy heck Ruka became best girl in an instant.

I really liked the backstory that was told through the ending sequence.

Honestly, if Kazuya and Ruka stayed a couple and the anime ended it there, I would be satisfied.

Kyoto Animation rocks
Aug 27, 2020 9:34 PM

Jan 2019
Holy shit that ED made me tear up. What the hell, Rental Girlfriend of all things is not allowed to do that.

I'm assuming this will go just as poorly if not worse than Kuroneko in Oreimo
Aug 28, 2020 12:28 AM

Oct 2017
Nailed it is what I'm gonna say, thnx TMS for making Ruka's first featured episode into a absolutely beautiful one. Ruka's voice acting was dope too. Ruka chan looked adorable in the anime too.

I just love Ruka and glad to see they did justice to her. The ED visuals were ingenius, I like this approach. They showed some of Ruka's backstory in it.

Also many of you might have guessed and yes she has
Aug 28, 2020 3:29 AM

Oct 2008
This was way too chaotic! but the episode was fantastic!
ED was a banger! props for halca for the great ED performance! ("First Drop" by halca)
so can we tell Ruka's love for Kazuya is genuine and true or this is just a spurt of emotions and like other, will get bored eventually...lolz taking is IRL huh....
5/5!

Aug 28, 2020 6:39 AM
Mar 2019
any knows how many episodres will have? in myanimelist not have number.

Thanks
Aug 28, 2020 3:55 PM
Apr 2016
Fucking hell I hate myself so fucking much for enjoying this dumpster fire of an anime.
Aug 28, 2020 9:30 PM
Jul 2020
So Ruka-chan is a new waifu? At least she is not Mami-chan. She doesn't seem formidable compared to Chizuru but let's see in the future episodes. I think Kazuya needs a WOMAN and not a girl like Ruka.
Aug 29, 2020 2:51 AM
Jul 2016
Nunbo_Arbur said:
Xandaros said:

From the way I interpreted it, it seems like she had or has a heart issue that caused her to collapse when she was younger. So in order to prevent another collapse, she had to avoid getting excited over anything... And after awhile, it seems like she CAN'T get excited anymore. Like nothing increased her heart rate. Not a rollercoaster, or any of the other dates as a rental. So she felt like a robot, unable to be moved by anything. That's why Kazuya increasing her heart rate is a big deal.

Thank you for explaining it to me. I thought it was because she noticed how Kazuya and Chizuru acted and it made her lovesick as she asked herself during the ending credits. Since she found someone that made her heatbeat faster than the other 'dates' she thought, "could this be what love is like?"
But doesn't it mean that she will again collaspe if her heart rate increases?
Aug 29, 2020 12:21 PM

Mar 2009
Another terrible character joins the show. Ruka's heart condition is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
Aug 29, 2020 11:28 PM

Aug 2017
It was a good episode, I was annoyed a bit during the episode cuz we did not know why Ruka fell in love with Kazuya until the ending, it was not necessary to keep it hidden lol. Anyway, quite creative the use of end credits as background for her instead of flashback. Loved the comedy especially the reactions again.

Also, Ruka making a complete dick move like threatening to reveal Kazuya and Chizuru secret is bad but at least it makes sense according to her past unlike Mami where she's dick for no valid reason.

4/5

NurguburuAug 29, 2020 11:33 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 1, 2020 4:51 PM

Jun 2020
Rasco said:
I can't lie I'm a bit jelly how all these girls are getting all up in Kazuya's face. When can I rent a gf?
Japan has some weird services.
"
Sep 3, 2020 2:21 PM

Nov 2013
Only in anime would a completely stranger girl pledge loyalty to a person she knows hardly anything - and beg in tears to make her their girlfriend...

She's a psychopath/crazy.
Sep 4, 2020 4:04 AM

Jun 2017
Ruka's past seems really sad, she may have a heart disease or some sort. But man, Kuri got destroyed in seconds, in front of Kazuya no less, lmao.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Sep 8, 2020 7:42 PM

Jun 2020
I'm sold on Ruka. I absolutely like the backstory for her character. However, her possessive personality is a bit of a stain on a character who has a lot of potential in my opinion.
Have a great day!

Sep 8, 2020 11:37 PM

Nov 2008
I CANNOT believe people are calling this annoying, clingy, selfish little brat "best girl".

Where is you taste, guys? Seriously, I like Mami more than this girl. xD She acts like a 12-year-old! I don't care about her heart problem; let the bitch collapse.
ChiibiSep 8, 2020 11:41 PM

Sep 10, 2020 7:10 PM

Jan 2019
You know,,,, I’m liking the idea of Ruka and Kazuya! I like the idea of Chizuru and him becoming best friends instead just as much.
why am i plagued with furry jokes everywhere I go
Sep 15, 2020 10:28 PM
Mar 2018
dude this mc only knows how to say 'mizuhara' and 'gomen' and 'mizuhara gomen' please learn some new phrases lmaoooo

also ruka > chizuru
Sep 20, 2020 10:02 PM

Aug 2020
justiniann said:
So Ruka-chan is a new waifu? At least she is not Mami-chan. She doesn't seem formidable compared to Chizuru but let's see in the future episodes. I think Kazuya needs a WOMAN and not a girl like Ruka.

Ruka needs to grow up a bit more, but when it comes to knowing what she wants, she's quite grown up already. I foresee one problem if Kazuya ends up with Chizuru, she's a bit too mature maybe, in that he can easily lean back and let her make all the decisions. A bit mother/big sister vibe, it feels like she can overrule him at any moment. Where with Ruka, there is maybe more room to grow into taking responsibility. Kazuya may be an adult, but emotionally he is about the same age as Ruka, maybe even a bit younger, since too often he lets his fantasies get in the way of his better judgement. But maybe over-analyzing it.

Back to the episode, really loved it. Ruka's backstory being in the ending is a bit of a double edged sword, it's clever, but people might not understand fully why her heartbeat is so important, and might think she's relying on an app to find love.

If you miss that, it's easy to make her end up on your bad side, because she humiliated Kuri, and basically blackmailed her into making Kazuya date her. But if you understand why she has such strong feelings for him, and that it's not just the heartbeat, but seeing how Kazuya can care for others, even saving her from getting hurt when she fell down the stairs, you understand why she was so desperate and went too far at some points. Chizuru realizes that first, and that there is probably more to it than meets the eye, not just a crazy schoolgirl having a weekly crush on someone. While she didn't want her rental life to get exposed, that was not the only reason she changed her mind and told Kazuya to agree with the 'trial girlfriend' idea. She realized Ruka has true feelings for Kazuya.

Voice acting was great too, especially the confession scene. Without the backstory, and feeling the underlying emotions, I agree Ruka appears very annoying. But with the full picture, hard to keep disliking her.

Maybe my fav episode so far, but that might change, depending on what the season finale is going to bring.
Sep 21, 2020 6:55 PM

May 2014
I liked how they showed Ruka's backstory through the ending credits. Pretty unique if you ask me. Ruka was enjoyable to watch.
Sep 23, 2020 6:25 AM

Aug 2020
HellLyter said:
I liked how they showed Ruka's backstory through the ending credits. Pretty unique if you ask me. Ruka was enjoyable to watch.

It's a unique way, although I noticed many people didn't get it fully, and thus consider Ruka as a clingy annoying brat, instead of a girl on a mission.
Sep 26, 2020 12:22 PM

Mar 2016
This time, Ruka is saved by the hidden heroic persona laying deep within Kazuya's personality.

Now then, I didn't expect Ruka to fall in love with Kazuya under these circumstances, gotta say, she's cold-blooded when it comes to dumping someone she doesn't love, F for Kuri who got dumped the instant Ruka found 'her one'.

I see now, Chizuru is a tsundere, Mami is a yandere while Ruka is a kuudere, a kuudere that have found 'the one' the man who she longed would make her heartbeat bloom. Ruka genuinely loved Kazuya and that's great, hell, I'm rooting for them the most right now! GO KAZUYA X RUKA!!! However, her biggest mistake is to dump her client, Kuri in front of Kazuya. Since she's done that, Kazuya won't feel right about actually dating with her. Oof. Not a win-win situation.

Chizuru is unconsciously being possessive of Kazuya and I love it. When it comes between the 2 of them, I still root with the cute Ruka, but it's nice to see competitive relationship that doesn't include a 2 faced bitch like Mami

This ED is only for this ep, but it quite literally explained the lifelong problem that Ruka had, as a kuudere. Until this fateful moment when she met Kazuya.
ShadowkillZSep 26, 2020 12:32 PM
Oct 21, 2020 5:50 AM

Dec 2014
The new girl seems nice. I don't wanna blame her too much for her love strats, love is war after all, what put me off mostly was Chizuru change of heart on the situation.

I agree with the earlier comment, Ruka is a nice girl, needs to mature a bit, she will be a splendid woman someday.
Oct 27, 2020 12:23 AM

Feb 2019
Damn dude, Ruka-chan's pretty cute. What I found the most interesting were the scenes in the ED. From that, I gathered that Ruka-chan had a heart condition that required her to keep her heartbeat low. Her parents took away video games and such in order for her to not feel thrill or excitement in fear of her heartbeat rising. But now, after growing up in a childhood devoid of excitement, she craves it ("You don't know how long I've been looking for Kazuya"). And since Kazuya makes her heart race, she's addicted to the thrill, and she's willing to give it all to keep him to herself.

Love how they snuck that in through the ED. I really hope she doesn't get hurt when Kazuya hops on the Chizuru train and Chizuru's there for it.
Oct 27, 2020 1:28 AM

Aug 2020
Takadono said:
Damn dude, Ruka-chan's pretty cute. What I found the most interesting were the scenes in the ED. From that, I gathered that Ruka-chan had a heart condition that required her to keep her heartbeat low. Her parents took away video games and such in order for her to not feel thrill or excitement in fear of her heartbeat rising. But now, after growing up in a childhood devoid of excitement, she craves it ("You don't know how long I've been looking for Kazuya"). And since Kazuya makes her heart race, she's addicted to the thrill, and she's willing to give it all to keep him to herself.

Love how they snuck that in through the ED. I really hope she doesn't get hurt when Kazuya hops on the Chizuru train and Chizuru's there for it.

The ED is special, but doesn't always do a great job fully explaining Ruka's backstory. The manga, chapter 28, is far more detailed. She has a slow heartbeat, which as a kid, made her drop down if she would be too active. Her mother prevents her from such activities, so Ruka won't lose her breath again.

As a teen, she no longer has these near fainting episodes, but feels much like a robot, because she can't feel things like normal people. Similar idea as eating something without being able to taste the flavour.

She's hoping to find love working as rental girlfriend, but eventually realizes that's never going to happen and decides to give up, just live her life, thinking it will never get any better.

Till she meets Kazuya, and sees how much he cares even for a rental girlfriend. This caring part of Kazuya's personality resonates with her, she starts to admire him for it, much by surprise, as she expected people who go for rental girlfriends to be shallow. But Kazuya isn't, he's got a caring personality. The way she starts to see him and feel for him makes her heart react, and in the ED literally brings color back to her life.

So she doesn't like him because he makes her heart beat faster, her heart beats faster because she started to like him. That's why she came to his college, to double check if it wasn't just a fluke. When being with him again gave the same result as earlier, on that bridge, that confirmed her feelings were real.

The manga also confirms it's love, because the flasback chapter starts with "In many forms... love exists" and then continues "This is a story about Sarashina Ruka".
Dutch_ChiefOct 27, 2020 4:06 AM
Oct 27, 2020 10:20 AM

Feb 2019
Dutch_Chief said:
Takadono said:

The ED is special, but doesn't always do a great job fully explaining Ruka's backstory. The manga, chapter 28, is far more detailed. She has a slow heartbeat, which as a kid, made her drop down if she would be too active. Her mother prevents her from such activities, so Ruka won't lose her breath again.

As a teen, she no longer has these near fainting episodes, but feels much like a robot, because she can't feel things like normal people. Similar idea as eating something without being able to taste the flavour.

She's hoping to find love working as rental girlfriend, but eventually realizes that's never going to happen and decides to give up, just live her life, thinking it will never get any better.

Till she meets Kazuya, and sees how much he cares even for a rental girlfriend. This caring part of Kazuya's personality resonates with her, she starts to admire him for it, much by surprise, as she expected people who go for rental girlfriends to be shallow. But Kazuya isn't, he's got a caring personality. The way she starts to see him and feel for him makes her heart react, and in the ED literally brings color back to her life.

So she doesn't like him because he makes her heart beat faster, her heart beats faster because she started to like him. That's why she came to his college, to double check if it wasn't just a fluke. When being with him again gave the same result as earlier, on that bridge, that confirmed her feelings were real.

The manga also confirms it's love, because the flasback chapter starts with "In many forms... love exists" and then continues "This is a story about Sarashina Ruka".

Hey, thanks for clearing that up for me. I've noticed your other comments, and I must say I really admire your dedication and attention to detail. I really appreciate it.
Nov 4, 2020 6:21 AM
Apr 2020
What the heck was that? This episode left me in shambles. SHAMBOLIC!
Jan 11, 2021 2:46 AM

May 2016
That was kinda fast so I believe they skipped a lot, but still I like her, she is pretty cute,
and her love is probably not real she just wants something that excites her.
Feb 6, 2021 6:16 AM

Jan 2017
Ruka's "clingy little sister" personality's kinda cute ngl, but her backstory is limited to just the ED is a big crime
Feb 7, 2021 9:09 AM

May 2019
Loved the ending credits! And finally someone who goes against Chizuru her ways. Go Ruka!
Feb 9, 2021 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
Sadhoe666 said:
I really did not liked Mizuhara in this episode. They both had Ruka crying on the streets like it's nothing. Kazuya being insufferable as always, he is truly being manipulated by his rental, it looks like she does not wants to be with him but at the same time does not let him to be with anyone else, Mizuhara having the same attitude as Mami, damn these females.

You have to keep in mind that both Mizuhara and Kazuya were blinded-sided by the rush of information they were presented with.
Mar 8, 2021 10:28 AM

Feb 2021
It seems like Ruka-chan is soo glued to him....its like there's nothing more he can do
Mar 30, 2021 12:59 PM

Mar 2019
That was kind of unexpected. I would take Ruka if I were Kazuya but I don't know what to feel about Chizuru at this point. Loved how Ruka kept saying that she's better than Chizuru.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 20, 2021 12:49 AM

Jul 2009
Okay! I'm liking what I see :D

I knew she was a Rental Girlfriend! Though, it's weird how both her and Chizuru uses their real names on their profiles. Shouldn't they use and alias in case something happens?

It seems, based on her past. She seems to have some heart problems and would fatigue if it goes above the range. She wanted to reserve it for someone she feels special.

Gonna be interesting how she handles Kazuya! Chizuru is going to be jealous!
Jun 8, 2021 4:08 AM
Jun 2020
I can't man this episode is way too clingy and pathetic kazuya I hate you I want gto kick your face until I satisfy and who thought ruka is so clingy
Jun 19, 2021 8:42 AM

Jan 2019
Aww, Ruka is such a cutie (*♥ω♥*)
Jul 25, 2021 1:07 PM

Feb 2012
So hard to resist Nao Toyama's voice.

Chizuru's expressions when Nao tells of her interactions with Kazuya.

Ruka genuinely likes him. In the short term, they'll upset their grandmothers but in the long term, it would be a genuine relationship.

So this one-off ending by Nao Toyama tells of why Ruka became a rental girlfriend; in order to seek the first person who can make her heart beat fast and she thinks that's Kazuya.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2020

311 by zainaAlizzy »»
Apr 10, 3:36 PM

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RegulusX - Jul 17, 2020

294 by afromarco005 »»
Apr 9, 9:32 AM

Poll: » overhated, overlooked, and genuinely a real depiction of romance. ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Nov 1, 2023

79 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 26, 9:05 AM

» What if Rent a girlfriend had Good story, Good romance and Good character development ( 1 2 )

Reckless_weeb - Mar 6

54 by kurayamiberkay »»
Mar 22, 10:06 AM

» Do Japanese men are really like this?

mufarari - Mar 8

13 by KayKimii »»
Mar 19, 4:21 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.