Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 20, 2020 7:32 AM
Jul 2018
It is a legitimate problem for some, heck, even an addiction.
removed-userSep 3, 2020 7:10 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 20, 2020 7:34 AM

Jan 2010
It's never enough man. The void is bottomless.
Aug 20, 2020 7:38 AM

Feb 2016
Sometimes i just feel the need to watch anime to entertain myself when i got some free time... But mostly just to escape boredom

Aug 20, 2020 7:39 AM

Jun 2016
idk man. I probably need to see a doctor.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 20, 2020 7:40 AM
Apr 2016
I'll stop once I'm out of good shows, but there are still quite a few of those left. As long as it keeps entertaining me, I'll continue I guess.
Aug 20, 2020 7:42 AM

Nov 2015
I don't really watch it much anymore. Kind of lost interest due to stressing out about other things in life. I actually prefer live action shows and movies. But hopefully I'll get back into watching it one day.
Aug 20, 2020 7:47 AM
Jul 2020
Well I've nothing much to do so I watch anime to entertain myself. In this days have pandemic so I need relieved my depression. I dont know but I just want to watch anime.
Aug 20, 2020 7:50 AM

Feb 2013
because i have lost control over my life :(
Aug 20, 2020 7:52 AM

Jan 2019
Because I'm bored and want to be entertained.
Aug 20, 2020 7:52 AM
Feb 2009
It's just a fun thing to watch. Like, I don't watch that much television in general. Maybe two hours a day. But when I do watch it, I'd prefer watching anime to watching most western shows.
Aug 20, 2020 7:55 AM

Aug 2018
There's always that priority list that never seems to end. Then there's your PTW list as well that again... never seems to end.

Why do you hate cats?

Aug 20, 2020 7:57 AM
Jul 2018
I haven't been watching much anime lately. I've been trying to catch up on sleep, and I feel kind of burnt out on it at the moment. I would imagine that most people watch a lot of anime out of the desire for finding the next best show to watch.

KurtThomas said:
I don't really watch it much anymore. Kind of lost interest due to stressing out about other things in life. I actually prefer live action shows and movies. But hopefully I'll get back into watching it one day.

I think for me I just overindulged myself. Considering that I read manga and watch anime and would watch/ read multiple series at once. It's hard to schedule time for both.
removed-userAug 20, 2020 8:09 AM
Aug 20, 2020 8:02 AM

Nov 2016
Because it's free content obviously.
Aug 20, 2020 8:12 AM
Jul 2018
It's easier to watch loads of 20min x 13 episodes over 40min x 80 episodes shows. And there's just so much anime too, if someone just loves anime as a concept they'll never run out of shows to watch.
Aug 20, 2020 8:12 AM
ぎりぎりセーフ

Oct 2015
I think there is a feeling of accomplishment by watching many shows, especially when you have sites like MAL so you can get actual numbers on it. I used to watch many shows because I had a lot of freetime, and I kept learning of more and more shows to watch. I also have a friend who I'd watch or discuss shows with, and we influenced eachother to watch more and more. Also being able to engage in conversations about shows and being able to understand more references.

I've slowed down now, both because of a decrease in free time and because I've watched a lot of the common shows, so I can participate in most conversations about anime. Now I'll just watch shows I enjoy and find it to be worth my time.

Aug 20, 2020 8:13 AM

Aug 2010
Prior to discovering Japanese Anime, I was a big fan of western media such as Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, Warhammer 40k, and Dungeons & Dragons.

Upon discovering Japanese Anime, I found my "True Calling" and have never looked back even when K-Pop and K-Drama became the next big thing in my neck of the woods.

Anime has henceforth became my daily Bread & Butter.
I do not classify this as an "addiction" but more of a woke preference.
Post Office
Collection
Hall of Fame
Aug 20, 2020 8:16 AM

Mar 2019
Because I'm so far behind and have so many titles to see.
Aug 20, 2020 8:18 AM

Apr 2019
Because I want to watch anime as it's a good entertainment generator.
Aug 20, 2020 8:25 AM

Jun 2019
I've wondered about the motivation of people, including myself, to watch so much anime, like it's a competition.

I can't speak for other people, but for me I enjoy logging all the anime I watch and tracking it on sites like mal graph (the statistician in me anyway). Yes, it is a bit obsessive and demonstrates the additive side of my personality.

But for me, there are many worse, much more damaging hobbies to be addicted to than anime.

I don't feel pressure to watch more than anyone else, or have the best watching stats to show off in discussion threads. Having been exposed to a decent portion of anime out there, I know how many great shows there are, and I'm always finding more.

In the past July alone I watched Katangatari (scored a 10/10), Koihime Musou, Hinamatsuri, Bokuben S1 & Kenpuu Denki Berserk, all which made a huge impression on me.

I almost feel as if it's fear of missing out on watching all the great anime that the medium has to offer. The biggest barrier I have discovered, is simply wading through all the shows available to find the really good ones (ie the shows that I'd score 8/10 or higher).

A large majority of shows I tend to score a 7 or 6/10; they're good or fine shows, but I want the great shows. So for me it's researching shows, finding recommendations and discovering what I like, which is always changing.

Only recently (within the last few months) have i started to get into the shoujo tag (I saw Kamisama Kiss and fell in love with the show). And my passion for SoL only began last year. Then there's always hidden gems, such as Diary of our Days At Breakwater, that is currently airing. I love fishing so to find a cgdct show with girls going fishing was amazing. It has stunning scenery and is quite a fun watch.

I know that I don't have to watch anime and if I don't feel like it then I won't. Today I've only seen a couple of episodes, it's nice weather so I've been listening to trance in the sun instead, yesterday I spent all morning reading Witch Hat Atelier (superb manga btw) rather than watching anime in bed like normal.

Looking at mal graph my average time is 283 mins per day (4 hours 40 mins), so that works out as between 10-12 episodes a day. I try to resist watching anime just for the sake of it to improve my watching average or hit x number of anime per day.
23feanorAug 20, 2020 8:33 AM
Aug 20, 2020 8:31 AM

Jul 2019
Anime is just a good past-time. I watch it because it is good and fun to watch
Aug 20, 2020 8:34 AM
Jul 2018
Because they think that if they watch more and more anime then their opinion also matters more... so that even after they say an opinion/ make a review about an anime, even if that opinion has A LOT of flaws, it MUST BE TRUE since that user completed 73745291648261 ecchi anime
Aug 20, 2020 8:40 AM

Jun 2020
I might sound stupid in this post, but one of the main reasons i'd give is because there are many more fantasy-themed animes than western shows and I've always loved fantasy stuff (dragons, adventurers etc) and there is such a huge choice of themes, sometimes it's just very pleasant to the eye (hello grimgar watercolor drawings) or to the ears but this can work for any show (and though anime OPs and EDs are meant to be commercial, it is still nice to have some music surrounding shows, making them even more likable)

And eventually because of this feeling when discovering original worlds, these absolutely unrealistic and crazy worlds where everything can happen, it's sort of like watching a dream but awake, and I find it exciting !
Aug 20, 2020 8:47 AM

Jul 2019
Watching anime is fine as long as you do it for yourself and have fun. For me that's the only thing that truly matters in the end.

Romaki26 said:
It's easier to watch loads of 20min x 13 episodes over 40min x 80 episodes shows. And there's just so much anime too, if someone just loves anime as a concept they'll never run out of shows to watch.
Also, this!
Life is a despicable endurance race
Aug 20, 2020 8:51 AM

Jun 2020
So I can learn more and more about stuff I never knew, I've yet to find an anime like Naruto that has taught me important life lessons, or anime like Your Name which has gave me a new motivation in life that I still follow, or an anime like Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso which has made me emotionally unstable yet the anime is an absolute beauty, or an anime like Oregairu which made me ask myself "What the hell am I doing with my life". There are so many things to learn from anime and I keep searching through them in hope that each anime I'll learn something different.

Even the trashiest anime will teach you something. Take Boruto for an example, it taught me why I should always wear a condom while having sex, even after marriage.

So you see, every anime helps you learn, and when you learn you grow, as a person. You might say "But I didn't learn anything from this" well that's your fault that you were unable to decode the message of the anime.

I said keep your hands on the table
Aug 20, 2020 8:55 AM

Nov 2018
I have nothing better to do, all I'm doing for the next year or so is working and saving up money so I can afford to go to uni and do my bachelors degree.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Aug 20, 2020 8:55 AM

Apr 2020
Because one day I was heading back home from work and God appeared to me as a dog and said: hey bro, watch anime. So I did.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Aug 20, 2020 9:16 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
LordPonczek said:
Anime is like water without water human can't live.

Couldn't agree more. After 16 years, I'm still watching and I'm going to watch until the day I die or Trump presses the wrong button.

CallmeFoxy said:
Why do anime fans feel the need to consume so much titles?

If there's something that gets your attention somewhat, you'll watch it right? I'm doing it for entertainment and every season there are like 10+ different anime that seems worth to watch so why not. Not competing with anyone but the list automatically just gets higher. :)
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Aug 20, 2020 9:33 AM

Oct 2016
Interesting premises, topics which one likes or find interesting, recommendations from someone else, impact of certain title on the medium or the people that consumes it.

Episodes being 20 minutes long instead of an hour like a live action show also helps.

Anyone can watch whatever they like and if they don't feel like continuing they can drop it easily.

That's all
Aug 20, 2020 9:43 AM

Mar 2020
It's entertaining. That's why I watch so much.
yum riceballs

i just want a baccano! season 2
Aug 20, 2020 9:50 AM

Dec 2018
Eh, I think the definition of watching too much anime is relative to the people around you. For example, compared to some members on this site, I would say I haven't watched a lot of anime at all, though I tend to share a lot of anime in common by virtue of, in the past, seeking out highly popular and well regarded anime that I know many others have watched, and then watching them to have some conversations going, and exchange of opinions. Compared to your average man on the street, however, I'd probably appear as someone who has wasted too much of their life on this medium, as I could've spent the number of days I've watched anime according to MAL statistics and redirected those hours instead towards learning something productive. At the end of the day, I'd say moderation is key; I don't want to waste too much time on anime if it interferes with my life goals, but if I have the time and it doesn't interfere, then why not is my thinking.
"I saw the Emperor - this soul of the world - go out from the city to survey his reign; it is a truly wonderful sensation to see such an individual, who, concentrating on one point while seated on a horse, stretches over the world and dominates it."
Aug 20, 2020 10:00 AM

Jun 2020
I think everyone has addictive personalities, back a few hundred years ago you had very few options on where to let loose which is sad to think about really. We are lucky to have anime as an option, and also millions more people to talk to about it.
Aug 20, 2020 10:01 AM

Dec 2015
I mean I definitely had my fill of anime. I have reached my limit.
600+ anime and finally I can say I have seen it all. All that seemed important to me that is.
Since the virus started I havent watched nor felt like watching anything, and its been like that for 6 months. It feels great. I feel liberated.
I will return no doubt, but I havent had such a long break from anime since I started watching it like 5 years ago.
Aug 20, 2020 10:01 AM

Jul 2013
Life is a shit experience, with anime you forget that for a bit. But then that ends, and you go right back to searching for something new to take your mind off your sadness and anger
Aug 20, 2020 10:04 AM

Jul 2020
We consume countless of animes because we as a community love watching animes but I don't have anime addiction I used to have that at some point but after taking a break from watching anime I have overcome the addiction.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 20, 2020 10:12 AM

Aug 2013
It's that or idling away until entropy kicks in and my body withers away to dust.
Aug 20, 2020 10:20 AM
Jul 2020
Well i'm just like, screw this shitty real world, i'm gonna run into anime stuffs.
Aug 20, 2020 10:30 AM

Jul 2016
To consume as much media as possible that I will find enjoyable, I don't want to miss out on a life changing piece of art
Aug 20, 2020 10:30 AM
Jul 2019
Because it's my primary source of entertainment, aside from YouTube. It's also one of the best ways to waste time and distract yourself. It also feels nice to have that sense of accomplishment from watching many shows. I'm proud that I've watched a lot of titles, because people can see how much effort I've put into that and want them to acknowledge it. Though it's kinda pointless in anime cause why would go the effort into doing that when you could be doing something productive am I right?
Aug 20, 2020 10:44 AM

Mar 2019
There is just nothing to do, so I watch just to pass my time and entertaining myself
Aug 20, 2020 10:48 AM

Mar 2020
There is such a big variety of anime to watch. When I'm not at work or doing college stuff I'm watching anime. And it's kind of my escape from reality I guess.

How can they see the love in our eyes
And still, they don't believe us?
And after all this time
They don't want to believe us

Aug 20, 2020 10:55 AM

Oct 2019
anime is like my weed. It's addicting, i can't stop even if it hurts.
Aug 20, 2020 11:18 AM

Jan 2017
Honestly, for me anime just fits like a glove. Japanese is my major and I get to pick up certain phrases and deduce things about the overall mentality. Also, it's simply enjoyable and I feel like most anime that I watch have pretty distinct stories and I really dig the whole madness and over-the-topness that I see in these series, which is why I have been watching anime for the past like 4 years or so.
Aug 20, 2020 11:20 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
why not? It's not like it's the only thing I do in life and it's never gotten in the way of anything else. In fact me posting on MAL has gotten in the way more than watching anime ever has. Lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2020 11:27 AM

Aug 2009
Is two shows a year too much?

Maybe I should just go one a year.

Aug 20, 2020 11:34 AM

Nov 2018
Cause my dick thrives to see an anime girl's titties.
Aug 20, 2020 11:34 AM

Jun 2019
Because if I don't watch anime at least once a day, I'll die.

It's a serious medical condition.
Aug 20, 2020 11:36 AM

Aug 2012
Because i've got nothing better to do.
Aug 20, 2020 11:40 AM

Apr 2019
Because I'm a consumer...

I must consume...
Aug 20, 2020 12:02 PM

Apr 2017
I just consume fiction at the pace I see appropriate. And I love fiction so I do.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Aug 20, 2020 12:05 PM

Aug 2015
I don't know.. it's my first anime's fault.
It's because i catched up to it that i feel the need to find another gem to fill the emptiness.. then that series ended an i have to find another gem again.. and the evil cycle continues...

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

49 by EastIndiaCompany »»
1 minute ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

28 by EastIndiaCompany »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

186 by Zarutaku »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

24 by M_MASTER »»
26 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

49 by BatoKusanagi »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.