Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people hate some popular anime which they haven't even watched?

New
Aug 5, 2020 5:27 AM
Jul 2018
Many people hate popular shows like One Piece, Jojo, Berserk, SAO without even watching them. Is it that they hate the vocal fandom or is it something else?
removed-userAug 5, 2020 10:56 AM
Aug 5, 2020 5:32 AM

Jun 2016
My guess is that they get annoyed because the shows don't interest them but they see them being constantly discussed everywhere they go.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 5, 2020 5:33 AM

Oct 2019
I feel like they hate it mostly because of the fandom that the show got and not because of the actual quality of the show.

Or they just want to be seen as cool.
Aug 5, 2020 5:33 AM

Feb 2010
Humans are social animals and when certain anime dominate the conversations in the fandom, it's fairly natural for everyone to want to be a part of that, not to be left out. But if it happens to be an anime from a genre they really, really dislike they probably don't want to watch it just to be able to trash on it, so they're saving time.

Honestly, it may be toxic, but I still prefer it over the people who actually watch it JUST to be able to 'justify' their hate. They usually give the anime as much of a chance as the people who hate it without watching it, but carry themselves like they're just being objective experts who uncover the real truth behind why these shows are allegedly bad and their fans just retarded sheep. I find that much more toxic than people who just hate on a genre and by extension every show that's part of it, without having to watch it. Ideally neither of those two would be a thing because both are toxic, but I do prefer the type you described over the type I described.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 5, 2020 5:39 AM

Feb 2020
I don't think it's anything more than just people hating on everything that's popular... Because that's popular.
They just believe that everything that appeals to a large audience is bad because too many different people enjoyed it, so they hate on it. You know, that makes them feel different. There's also the fact that some people tend to be annoyed by something being heavily talked about. They see it everywhere and it irritates them. I've actually mostly seen that with very popular characters, but I'm sure this is the same when it comes to shows.
All these people are fortunately not the majority, but they're a very vocal minority that just tries to ruin others' enjoyment. The best thing is to just ignore them.
Aug 5, 2020 6:10 AM

Nov 2018
They seem to think that popular = overrated and overhyped, and will say shit to get themselves attention.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Aug 5, 2020 6:17 AM
Jul 2017
Mostly because of the toxicity around, or simply because one popular character they hated to see everywhere. Or the most basic way of thinking "Popular = bad and overrated/overhyped"
Aug 5, 2020 6:52 AM
Jul 2018
Sometimes you just know something is going to be shit without even trying it because you've seen plenty of similar shit already and you know that people have shit taste in everything from music to fashion. Most popular stuff caters to the lowest common denominator. You won't find smart people with taste getting into the same shit that millions of people seem to love. Instead you will see them finding the hidden gems.

All that glitters is not gold.

So y'all can fuck off with your K-On (not seen it) and your Clannad and all the other shit shows. I'm still mad at myself for completing Clannad, Neon Genesis Evangelion and a couple of other shows but like @pullman said at least I can justify my hate for some of the shit and use it as a good reason not to follow any more shitty recommendations and to ensure that I never watch a show based on ratings and reviews ever again.
Aug 5, 2020 6:59 AM

Feb 2016
Because the fan base stay saying ''it's a masterpiece'' and such and repeat and repeat like an idiot, for example i have this kind of problem with stein gates i never watched (and don't plan), but i plan to read the VN.
The battle is over.
Show respect for the fallen
who fought so bravely.
Aug 5, 2020 7:06 AM
Aug 2013
Telepathy??? You can read people’s minds? That is an amazing ability. How do you know they have never seen the shows and that they hate them?

Preference - everyone has it. Why do you automatically gravitate towards hate to describe people’s choices, which you’re intolerant of? action, comedy etc all of them choices people have.
UknwWhuAug 5, 2020 7:16 AM
Aug 5, 2020 7:10 AM

Apr 2019
Because teenagers haven't yet learned to be tolerant on the one hand, and standing by one's own unpopular opinion on the other hand. They are very insecure with opinions, and seek the safety of the herd. So I consider that type of "hate" to be more of a social signal "I'm a member of the strong herd which has my back" than an actual opinion.

Aug 5, 2020 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
UknwWhu said:
Telepathy??? You can read people’s minds? That is an amazing ability. How do you know they have never seen the shows and that they hate them? Asking for a friend.

this site is made for cataloging anime , so you can go to people's anime list and check if they have watched a particular show and you know there is something by which we communicate , yes what is it called ?right , language which is also verbal and written , so people can write if they like a show or hate it by the same way you made a post and the same way I am writing this . Simple enough , right ?

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
CravenlockAug 5, 2020 8:01 AM
Aug 5, 2020 7:31 AM

Nov 2016
Some just like to jump on bandwagons just so they wouldn't be left out, it's a type of mentality that's festered a lot in today's social media heavy society, or it might also just be the annoying fanbase.
Aug 5, 2020 7:32 AM

Jul 2019
On the Internet, it seems that malice is quite the fulfilling emotion.
Aug 5, 2020 7:35 AM
Aug 2013
Zero0514 said:
Many people popular shows like One Piece, Jojo, Berserk, SAO without even watching them. Is it that they hate the vocal fandom or is it something else?

I’m gonna assume *hate* is the missing word here, you can correct me. If everyone liked all popular shows, that would ruin the experience for me. The fact that there are people who have different views on shows and scores, is what makes a community special.
Aug 5, 2020 7:43 AM
May 2019
Some are hipsters that hate anything mainstream and popular others are just jumping on the bandwagon cause they can't think for themselves.
Aug 5, 2020 7:59 AM

Dec 2016
Because people can like whatever they want
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Aug 5, 2020 8:10 AM

Jun 2020
I remember I didn't want to watch SNK because one of my friends talked about it all the time, and he was so annoying/cringe with it that unconsciouly I kinda associated SNK with how I perceived him, without even trying to watch/think more about it.
That's unfortunately how many things seem to work ; the loud minority is only the tip of the iceberg, and only divers can truly see its beauty, by overcoming preconceived ideas and judging by themselves. (pretty obvious ik)
Aug 5, 2020 8:21 AM

Mar 2013
Shoko664 said:
I feel like they hate it mostly because of the fandom that the show got and not because of the actual quality of the show.

This. I'm old enough to remember Hetalia's heyday, and the fandom is legit why it had so many haters.
Aug 5, 2020 9:04 AM

Jul 2020
Well, nowadays some people on the internet are edgy attention-seekers, and if you are offended by this, you probably are one too.

バンの一味
Aug 5, 2020 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
Because they hate mainstream to make themselves look like they are standing out of the mass, although they become just a part of a new mass and don't think for themselves.

Sometimes you also don't want to hear a word about it anymore, but everyone keeps talking about it. Although it's a dumb action to hate the anime itself then.
Aug 5, 2020 9:23 AM

Apr 2020
Maybe many of them think mainstream animes take over the place of others they consider way better and should have more recognition.
Or they just want to hate because it's what almost everyone does.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Aug 5, 2020 9:23 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
maybe they saw some clips or watched a couple of minutes of it?
Aug 5, 2020 9:24 AM

Oct 2019
I think for some it might be because

Don't like the art style
They think it's overrated/overhyped
It's mainstream
The amount of hate it gets
Amount of episodes
Not interested
Fandom
Etc.

Things like that.
Aug 5, 2020 10:28 AM

Apr 2020
A lot of the popular anime, that I grew up with, I watched and enjoyed on my own time. Not because others talked about it, not because it was super hyped, not because it was just generally popular. I watched it because I read what it was gonna be about and the plot caught my interest.

When it comes to some of the more modern popular anime, most of them I don't want to watch, and not because they are popular or that I don't give new series a chance (I'm quite the opposite in that actually) but because the plots don't interest me as much. I gave MHA a chance because a series about superheroes sounded awesome, but after watching I lost interest and left to watch something else.

There is one saying I live by when it comes to anime/manga:

Popularity doesn't always equal quality.

Just because a series is well-liked among a large number of people doesn't mean there will always be a 100% guaranteed chance that new incoming anime fans will like them too. (That's mostly why I can never stand when people recommend the mainstream stuff to these new fans right off the bat. That's basically throwing those poor guys to the wolves- possibly traumatizing them after encountering very toxic fans so soon and making them into people who follow others by their coattails instead of letting them explore and find their own tastes.)
Aug 5, 2020 10:51 AM

May 2015
Often the case is to try to fit in with whatever group of people they're interested in being part of.
Can't exactly have a fair criticism of something they've never watched, not even a single episode.
Aug 5, 2020 10:53 AM

Apr 2015
It may contain content they've heard of, watched through clips, etc that they fundamentally disagree with.
Aug 5, 2020 10:54 AM
Jul 2018
Shoko664 said:

Or they just want to be seen as cool.

'
Oh, it's definitely the latter. They try to be cool. Fandom can obviously be ignored.
Aug 5, 2020 10:54 AM

Jun 2015
it's fun to be hyperbolic and opinionated, duh

Aug 5, 2020 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
They believe that popular series don't deserve the attention and success compare to lesser known series, those series happen to be their favourites. It's pretty pointless to hate on popular series, it's not like it's going change the fact that those shows are indeed very popular.
Aug 5, 2020 4:12 PM
Jul 2018
Who would be so heartless to hate Jojo (and Jiji) even without watching Maple Town?

Aug 5, 2020 6:51 PM

Sep 2014
because the hype gets annoying

Though im more annoyed by shows getting constantly brought up which I did watch but did not like.

I just dont trust the community on a large scale at all, too normified for that. I put of watching bunny girl senpai for nearly 2 years because of this. Now I watch it and its actually quite good.

its just that on average the most generic and boring shows get hyped. Generic cardboard MC, mixed with non progressing romance and sprinkled with boring ecchi jokes
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Aug 5, 2020 6:52 PM

Jan 2009
prejudice is common human behavior my dude always has been lol
Aug 7, 2020 2:58 AM
May 2020
Zero0514 said:
Many people hate popular shows like One Piece, Jojo, Berserk, SAO without even watching them. Is it that they hate the vocal fandom or is it something else?
Wait, there’s a lot of people who dislike Berserk?
Anyways, here’s your answer: I think it’s gotta do with the fandom “overhyping” the shows, or maybe the fandom’s toxic/annoying as hell that, it makes them not want to watch/read those series you’ve mentioned above. Another reason is that, they just hate popular shows cuz they feel “special” that they aren’t like the other weebs or smth. Idk, this is my speculation, though, I’m sure most of what I said was true.
Aug 7, 2020 4:50 AM

Mar 2020
Elitists. Duh.

They want to seem as having better/different taste than everyone else, so they hate on popular shows without even trying them. It makes them feel better than people who like popular things, I guess??
woopWOOOPAug 7, 2020 11:22 AM
yum riceballs

i just want a baccano! season 2
Aug 7, 2020 9:48 AM

Sep 2014
deg said:
prejudice is common human behavior my dude always has been lol

This is the most relevant comment here given how these replies here are full of prejudice already. Elitism? Feeling special? Hipsters? Too mainstream? How can people reach such lazy conclusions? "Oh no, someone doesn't like that popular anime without watching it. They must have a brain issue for thinking they are superior or something" Prejudice in both case here, just a common human behaviour. There is no mental health issue concerned.

I did ask several people why they thought a certain show was bad even though they never watched it and the answers were always the same: "I saw some clip of it and didn't like it" or "I was told it was shit". It is not rocket science, people are full of prejudices. I am myself aware of that given how I just look at the staff or description of an anime and I have already a gross feeling of how good the anime seem to me. Sometimes, my prejudices end up being completely wrong so I learned to not rely on them too much.
Aug 8, 2020 5:56 AM

Aug 2019
trying to be different and quriky by hating on popular shit. idk it's some elitist thing it's dumb as hell.

but there's like a specific very popular anime that i've researched so much on that i basically know everything, including the manga and i fucking hate it with my guts so.
Aug 8, 2020 9:00 PM
Feb 2014
I don't hate anything i haven't personally at least tried watching, i usually just avoid them if i don't like their art style/character design or know they contain things i don't like, such as gore or animal abuse, but that's about it.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
2 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

17 by tchitchouan »»
7 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

36 by funtime43_tr »»
11 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

99 by watsym »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.