Forum Settings
Forums

Producing anime just for the sake of the novel or manga ?

New
Aug 3, 2020 9:47 AM
Jul 2017
Recently, there are many animes produced for the purpose of increasing the popularity of the novel or manga, and in most cases it continues for one season only and is not completed, leaving the followers waiting for the sequel, but this is not done.
So are we now in a world governed by trade and money making, even in anime? What are your opinions?
Aug 3, 2020 9:49 AM

Jul 2019
This is something that has been going on forever in the anime industry. So really it’s nothing new.
Aug 3, 2020 9:51 AM

Jun 2016
This has been the situation for years. A lot of manga got 1-6 episode ova adaptations and nothing else in the late 80s and 90s.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 3, 2020 9:58 AM
Jul 2017
NamikazeHime said:
I thought that everyone here were already aware of that fact.

well man I’m not that deeply in anime industry i just watched a few animes lately that disappointed me cause there is no sequel for them
Aug 3, 2020 10:04 AM

Jul 2019
yajlan said:
NamikazeHime said:

well man I’m not that deeply in anime industry i just watched a few animes lately that disappointed me cause there is no sequel for them

I'm gonna sound like a bummer but, here's a little advice - read the manga.
Aug 3, 2020 10:07 AM
Jul 2017
NamikazeHime said:
yajlan said:

never found that passion in reading manga or felt the same hype that anime gives unfortunately.
Aug 3, 2020 10:20 AM

Jun 2020
It has been like that for a long time, I can name 20 anime from the top of my head that was created for the sole purpose of advertisement of the original source.

I said keep your hands on the table
Aug 3, 2020 10:28 AM

Mar 2020
I read a lot of manga before I got into anime but after I started watching anime a lot more than reading manga my number one reason for reading manga and LNs became because the anime advertised it and didnt finish it and I liked it enough to want to see what happens.

Only downside is that anime frequently doesnt do the manga or LN justice at all so you pretty much need to start from the beginning of the written work to see what you missed etc.

A lot of animes sole purpose is to promote the written work though so you will see a ton of anime that never catches up to the written work. Sad but thats just how it is.
Aug 3, 2020 10:33 AM

Sep 2016
Yes it is called sustainable business that supports each other, it is impossible to produce original hit anime again and again regularly so manga and novels are the main hit creators...
Aug 3, 2020 10:35 AM

Jul 2019
yajlan said:
NamikazeHime said:

never found that passion in reading manga or felt the same hype that anime gives unfortunately.

From your anime list, I see you like long runing shounens (I also like them a lot), and I have to admit that in most cases source material made me more hype than than the adaptation itself (in case of Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, One Piece, Slam Dunk, Black Clover, JoJo, GTO, etc.)
Aug 3, 2020 10:38 AM

Jul 2008
I mean you basically just described the industry as it has been for ages.
Aug 3, 2020 11:02 AM
May 2020
Yeah you are very much right!!!
The best example for this topic atleast for me is Classroom of The Elite....
This anime was just produced just to sponsor the manga. And yeah recently there has been many of this category.
I don't get why good shows and atleast decent type of good shows doesn't get the sequel. They have much popularity and fans or I guess so.
Aug 3, 2020 11:12 AM
Jul 2017
The_Neall said:
This anime was just produced just to sponsor the manga. And yeah recently there has been many of this category.
I don't get why good shows and atleast decent type of good shows doesn't get the sequel. They have much popularity and fans or I guess so.

That’s the sad fact right now and we can’t do much !
Aug 3, 2020 11:15 AM
Jul 2017
NamikazeHime said:
yajlan said:

From your anime list, I see you like long runing shounens (I also like them a lot), and I have to admit that in most cases source material made me more hype than than the adaptation itself (in case of Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, One Piece, Slam Dunk, Black Clover, JoJo, GTO, etc.)
Sure I only read one piece manga for the more hype i think but for me I still prefer the anime you can hear see and move with osts and many different things !!
Aug 3, 2020 11:25 AM
May 2020
yajlan said:
NamikazeHime said:

Sure I only read one piece manga for the more hype i think but for me I still prefer the anime you can hear see and move with osts and many different things !!

Yh I agree I really want to experience a series the same way as the anime and get hyped or absorbed in the experience , but I just can't. If there is a way for me to do so then I will but idk nobody has a method. It sounds kinda dumb but yh. There were some webtoons that I was absorbed in the experience of but they r very few
Aug 3, 2020 11:56 AM
May 2020
yajlan said:
The_Neall said:

That’s the sad fact right now and we can’t do much !

Yeah you are right we can't do anything but the studios can. Still these studios won't cause studios like larche are notorious and they have this kind of intention for creating animes just to increase the manga popularity.
Aug 3, 2020 11:59 AM
May 2020
Arin-san said:
It has been like that for a long time, I can name 20 anime from the top of my head that was created for the sole purpose of advertisement of the original source.

Can you name them???
Cause I think most of them are either unpopular or underrated.
Aug 3, 2020 12:03 PM

Jul 2019
yajlan said:
NamikazeHime said:

Sure I only read one piece manga for the more hype i think but for me I still prefer the anime you can hear see and move with osts and many different things

Sure, ost can pump up your experience, but anime tends to unnecessary stretch out many scenes and spoil all the excitement in them that way. Also, all of these have wayyyy better art style in the manga then in the anime. Not to mention censorship in the anime.
Aug 3, 2020 12:09 PM

Nov 2011
That is why the best anime are original works.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 3, 2020 12:39 PM

Jun 2020
The_Neall said:
Arin-san said:

Can you name them???
Cause I think most of them are either unpopular or underrated.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, OreShura, Problem children are coming from another world, aren't they?, NouCome, Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku, Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni., Trinity Seven, Seireitsukai no Blade Dance, Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut, Hundred, Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica, Hataraku Maou-sama, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, No Game No Life (This isn't an advertisement but it will never get a season 2 for copyright reasons and it did boost the light novel sales), and literally hundreds and hundreds more. When they made these anime they never intended to do a proper adaption because when I've read the source for these I found out how many shit they just skipped over, most of these are light novels. Some of them were successful enough to boost the original source sales.

I said keep your hands on the table
Aug 3, 2020 12:51 PM

Jun 2019
NamikazeHime said:
yajlan said:

I find the fluid motion and movement as well as sound in voice acting, music, and overall background and ambient noise and sound design (color also, but that's less concrete as color palettes can vary radically and I would just as eagerly watch a black and white anime like the upcoming Uzumaki anime is projected to be) indispensable and without equal to the experience. The advice is always "read the manga" but I don't really see how people can compare the two. If there wasn't an enormous difference between the two mediums and how people relate to and experience them and the level of accessibility, then there would be zero point to producing anime in the first place. Anime gives a lot more life to people like myself who generally don't care for reading fiction. I read enough non-fictional material all day.
Aug 3, 2020 1:11 PM

Feb 2016
NamikazeHime said:

Source material are often unavailable in English.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Aug 3, 2020 1:21 PM

Jul 2019
WatchTillTandava said:
NamikazeHime said:

I find the fluid motion and movement as well as sound in voice acting, music, and overall background and ambient noise and sound design (color also, but that's less concrete as color palettes can vary radically and I would just as eagerly watch a black and white anime like the upcoming Uzumaki anime is projected to be) indispensable and without equal to the experience. The advice is always "read the manga" but I don't really see how people can compare the two. If there wasn't an enormous difference between the two mediums and how people relate to and experience them and the level of accessibility, then there would be zero point to producing anime in the first place. Anime gives a lot more life to people like myself who generally don't care for reading fiction. I read enough non-fictional material all day.

I had the same way of thinking in the first couple of months after my anime journey started. However, after watching and reading a decent amount of anime and manga I came to realization that great ost, animation or character design can never compensate for a story or characters. Most of my 10s and 9s have pretty avarage artstyle and music was hit or miss. That didn't change the fact that I enjoyed them a lot. I know that many people prefer style over substance and I can completely understand that. We all look for a different things in anime and that's the beauty of it. Btw, I never said that there is no point in making anime. OP said that he wants more content from anime he liked but he doesn't think they'll get the sequal. Reading the manga is probably the best option here.

Also, you should've probably quote the rest of my conversation with OP, because I talked about some things regarding my 'advice'.
NamikazeHime said:

Sure, ost can pump up your experience, but anime tends to unnecessary stretch out many scenes and spoil all the excitement that way. Also, all of these have wayyyy better art style in the manga then in the anime. Not to mention censorship in the anime.
Aug 3, 2020 1:26 PM

Jul 2019
Lucifrost said:
NamikazeHime said:

Reading manga/novels online is a thing for a long time. Even unpopular titles can easily be found. I read a bunch of romance/shounen ai that have less than 1000 members on MAL and I never searched for any of them for more than a minute.
Aug 3, 2020 1:28 PM

Nov 2016
Before the 2010s a lot of anime would just have one season all ending with the usual "fck you go read the manga". Shows like shield hero or ascendance of a bookworm could've never hoped to get sequels so I would say it's much better now.
Aug 3, 2020 2:20 PM

Apr 2018
It's very annoying. Like come on, I'm a dumb American. I can only watch anime. I can't be bothered to read for pleasure.
I fear not the man who has watched 10,000 animes once, but I fear the man who has watched one anime 10,000 times.
Aug 3, 2020 2:24 PM

Dec 2012
These kinds of projects are the bane of my existence, and for whoever decided not to fully adapt them...a boot to the head.

NamikazeHime said:
Lucifrost said:

Reading manga/novels online is a thing for a long time. Even unpopular titles can easily be found. I read a bunch of romance/shounen ai that have less than 1000 members on MAL and I never searched for any of them for more than a minute.

Unfortunately this just does not work for some things. For instance there's at least 6 novels I'm trying to read that have had their English translations (official or unofficial) inexplicably abandoned.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 3, 2020 2:29 PM

Jul 2019
Kruszer said:

NamikazeHime said:

Unfortunately this just does not work for some things. For instance there's at least 6 novels I'm reading that have had their English translations (official or unofficial) inexplicably abandoned.

Novels are becoming thing in the west just now, so I'm not really surprised by that. Can you tell what site do you use to read them and maybe mention some of the titles?
Aug 3, 2020 2:56 PM

Dec 2012
NamikazeHime said:
Kruszer said:

Unfortunately this just does not work for some things. For instance there's at least 6 novels I'm reading that have had their English translations (official or unofficial) inexplicably abandoned.

Novels are becoming thing in the west just now, so I'm not really surprised by that. Can you tell what site do you use to read them and maybe mention some of the titles?

Fan Translations (Found these on the now defunct BakaTsuki Reader ap):
Aesthetica of Rogue Hero (Unofficial translation dropped. They translated 1-5, skipped 6, and released random chapters for a few volumes after that and stopped)
Alderamin on the Sky (Unofficial translation that translated the first 3 novels and stopped.)
Hyouka or the Kouten-bu Series (unofficial translation. Not sure about whether this is still going or not but it stopped at Novel 6)
Lord Marksman and Vanadis (Unofficial translation stops midway through novel 14)
Tokyo Ravens (unofficial translation stops at novel 14)

Official Licenses:
Boogiepop Novel Series (Released irregularly by the official company Seven Seas. They released 1-6 but there are more)
Moribito (Licensed and the first 2 novels were released then abandoned)
Scrapped Princess (Tokyopop released the first 3 novels and abandoned the series)
Twelve Kingdoms (I forgot how many novels were released but it wasn't all of them.)
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 3, 2020 3:06 PM

Jul 2019
Kruszer said:
NamikazeHime said:

Fan Translations (Found these on the now defunct BakaTsuki Reader ap):
Aesthetica of Rogue Hero (Unofficial translation dropped. They translated 1-5, skipped 6, and released random chapters for a few volumes after that and stopped)
Alderamin on the Sky (Unofficial translation that translated the first 3 novels and stopped.)
Hyouka or the Kouten-bu Series (unofficial translation. Not sure about whether this is still going or not but it stopped at Novel 6)
Lord Marksman and Vanadis (Unofficial translation stops midway through novel 14)
Tokyo Ravens (unofficial translation stops at novel 14)

Official Licenses:
Boogiepop Novel Series (Released irregularly by the official company Seven Seas. They released 1-6 but there are more)
Scrapped Princess (Tokyopop released the first 3 novels and abandoned the series)
Twelve Kingdoms (I forgot how many novels were released but it wasn't all of them.)

I can understand fan translators till some extand. If series itself is not read by many people, they don't really have any kind of motivation to continue with it. But I'm surprised to see something like that happening to an official licenses.
Aug 3, 2020 3:51 PM
Jul 2017
NamikazeHime said:
yajlan said:
Sure I only read one piece manga for the more hype i think but for me I still prefer the anime you can hear see and move with osts and many different things

Sure, ost can pump up your experience, but anime tends to unnecessary stretch out many scenes and spoil all the excitement in them that way. Also, all of these have wayyyy better art style in the manga then in the anime. Not to mention censorship in the anime.
you are right of course but from my point of view i prefer to see my favourite characters move and speak "i do like some manga too btw" but i think I'm an anime fan at last or i think i haven't experienced enough in this field to see from your point clearly but i understand everyone got tastes
Aug 3, 2020 11:45 PM

Nov 2011
Kruszer said:

One of very few anime I considered a masterpiece (I rated 10/10), and I still don't know how the story continue. I guess learning japanese language is only solution for it.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 4, 2020 1:34 AM

Jul 2020
yajlan said:
NamikazeHime said:

Yeah like there is no sequel for maid sama although its popular

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 4, 2020 2:29 AM

Oct 2017
yajlan said:
Recently, there are many animes produced for the purpose of increasing the popularity of the novel or manga, and in most cases it continues for one season only and is not completed, leaving the followers waiting for the sequel, but this is not done.
So are we now in a world governed by trade and money making, even in anime? What are your opinions?

One your last statement has been true about the world forever and globalization has been an increasing force since the 16th century whose only limiting factor has been technology. You literally are engaging in a media that is product of global trade/globalization. When in the history of anime was the world not governed by international trade or money making or when was anime not governed by these things? Anime has always been driven by that one reason the OVA market crashed was the recession in the Japanese economy in the 90's.

Secondly how is this recent? It's literally been the dominating trend for quite a while even before I got into anime/manga back in 09. Honestly sequels are more common now I feel than in the past.

Hate them or love them production committees splitting cost of production has allowed for a variety of manga to make it to the anime side exposing them to new audiences even if it didn't end up in a sequel. I would rather have 1 season of something with a go read the manga ending than no adaption at all.
BilboBaggins365Aug 4, 2020 2:34 AM
Aug 4, 2020 2:58 AM

Dec 2012
Jim_Heart said:
Kruszer said:

One of very few anime I considered a masterpiece (I rated 10/10), and I still don't know how the story continue. I guess learning japanese language is only solution for it.

Without spoiling anything the anime series adapts only the first novel Guardian of the Spirit, the anime is indeed a rare kind of masterpiece because a lot the things in it were original content but it was actually really good and fitting filler that that you wouldn't know is filler unless you've read the book and it also enhances the already good story. The second novel is Guardian of the Darkness which revolves around Balsa returning home to Kanbal to face her past and old enemies.
KruszerAug 4, 2020 3:05 AM
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 4, 2020 3:03 AM
May 2018
Ad12345 said:
yajlan said:

Yeah like there is no sequel for maid sama although its popular
I heard that it's like that in case of maid-sama that the author of the manga didin't agree to make another season. She thinks that they screw it up making it too funny or sth. But I'm not sure so you better check it out yourself.
Aug 4, 2020 3:15 AM

Dec 2012
NamikazeHime said:

I can understand fan translators till some extand. If series itself is not read by many people, they don't really have any kind of motivation to continue with it. But I'm surprised to see something like that happening to an official licenses.

It's especially annoying because I find most of them to be pretty interesting reads. I really like Alderamin on the Sky, Lord Marksman and Vanadis, and Tokyo Ravens and would be happy for some official English publisher to take my damn money for them.
KruszerAug 4, 2020 3:20 AM
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 4, 2020 3:20 AM
Apr 2015
Too much good manga out there man. Unless the anime is truly a hit that people will watch the sequel of no matter what, it's probably more profitable for studios to just start another series unfortunately.
Aug 4, 2020 9:30 AM

Feb 2016
Jim_Heart said:
Kruszer said:

There’s a subbed live-action Moribito.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

61 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 26 minutes ago

6 by alshu »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

29 by MichaelJackson »»
9 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

85 by LenRea »»
21 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 2 hours ago

10 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
38 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.