Forum Settings
Forums
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2020 2:30 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I m amazed by this volume. Vol8 was the worst so far, too long with not that many interesting stuff happening, just felt very disjointed and uninspiring.
Glad I keep through, just took me close to 8 months and fast reading towards the end.

Volume 9 is the best so far for me.
It felt like a revolution, seeing the writer adding such a twist to the story so far into the series, I m just happy, this was the best reward possible for getting through 8 (really enjoyed vol7 though).

I think Wiene sells this volume, the way she was introduced, right from the start, you could care for her, it was so sad to see her in such a state but then learning more about what she is near the end, and just through the whole volume, there was soo much warmth.
Seeing Bell care for Wiene making an effort to see past any conventions humanity had to this point, getting closer to her, with the LN selling the fact that she was a monster, but at heart just a kind and naive soul at the beginning of her life... I know this won't happen, but in an ideal ending, I wouldn't care to which Bell ended with if he at least ended being like a father to Wiene and keep her company through life, seeing her growing up.

And I knew perfectly the writer was going to be brutal about it, grounded.
Merciless, the world was yet not ready, and neither was my hearth, but I knew this was just the start, and I was right when I believed vol10 would wound me further (it fucking did, I m close to finishing less than a day after finishing vol9).

The writer had this idea from the start and he really introduced it well... there was so much dread in the chapter when Wiene escaped and saved that child when they had to go on the dungeon for the mission from Ouranos, it just felt like doom was close.

This novel really sells that they are exploring a very dangerous and unpredictable place, that will never show mercy upon you when they focus on dungeon exploring, I just get nervous and this time I really thought some bad shit was going to happen.

It was surprising to see the group of Xenos, that they were full of personality, contrasting experiences and believes, but most than all, a wish to walk upon the surface one day.
It was genius for me, that the dungeon was like the heaven of mortals, monsters going upon an infinite circle of reincarnation and some through countless rebirths, slowly gaining awareness, so many layers added to the story now.
Also, everything connects, especially with the Minotaur from vol3.. the truth just felt haunting, brilliant, poetic, and sad, and Bell was never ready to be tested like this, no one was.

Again, just a small touch, but the little moments with Wiene, when she first tried to hug Bell, touch him with her hands but ended up hurting him due to her long and sharp claws, with Bell grabbing her hand nonetheless despite the hurt, not letting Wiene retreat, he basically saved her there once again, showing such kindness, just melted my soul.

The volume was pure beauty and the end just left me hollow inside, and I couldn't wait to keep reading, knowing foolishly I was dooming myself further.

The writer won my respect with these volumes and I definitely going to show my support and buy the physical books of 9 and 10, and maybe even 11.

I want to support this, you can see the writer poured it's all within the story.
Mad respect, Wiene best daughter ever, freaking cute, she looks so sugoi in the anime adaptation teases and at the end of S2, I just hope JCstaff at least doesn't fuck this up.

And I just have a feeling this arc is not going to end how I want it to, it just tears me apart but I couldn't love it all the more.

Really enjoyed vol3 and parts of vol5, and then vol7 with Haruhime, but this was on another level right from the start, so bold, so much hearth put into this.

The post is all over the place, so is my hearth upon writing, I m just amazed no one dared to comment on this or volume 10...

I encourage anyone to read this series despite it slow start and some lesser good arcs, this is a payoff that just deeply rewards you greatly.
PlaycoolAug 1, 2020 3:07 PM
Nov 14, 2020 10:50 PM

May 2020
Yes! I totally agree! Volume 7 was a hint at what's to come by lightly challenging Bell's view of wanting to be a hero (would a hero save a prostitute? Hell yea). Volume 8 was a break, a bit boring, that explored the other side characters a bit (as well as resolving some of that tension between Bell and Hestia).

But wow, volume 9. THIS IS THE REAL STUFF. I knew the author was doing a bait with the initial volumes to get a large audience interested in the story...so I was just waiting for the tone to become a bit more serious and for the stakes to go up. And this exceeded by expectations! Never did I expect there to arise a moral conflict over sentient monsters to appear in the plot in what seemed to be a typical fantasy-adventure dungeon anime!

Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and other demi-humans are all treated with the same respect. So what separates sentient monsters from everyone else? Bell, being the big-hearted hero he is, sees the Xenos as just as human as everyone else. Whereas we see from the reactions of everyone in Hestia familia, the story's stakes have gone up: most people are not going to accept the Xenos.

Depending on how serious the author is going to push these stakes, this may become one of my favorite series of all time... really showing how this series is going to go well above and beyond the typical fantasy-adventure dungeon genre and delve into some greater...I'M SO PSYCHED!
I say goodbye unto you,
And with this parting,
My most beautiful dream dies inside me...
But I tell you goodbye,
For the rest of life,
Even if I spend all life thinking about you.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka Volume 2 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Sep 1, 2014

3 by Phaetons_Folly »»
Feb 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 18 Discussion

NaughtySempai - Apr 3, 2023

1 by Farabeuf »»
Jan 27, 9:00 AM

» How many more volumes?

RealityChanges - Aug 13, 2023

1 by majin_mark505 »»
Aug 13, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 17 Discussion

Syureria - Jul 7, 2021

2 by NaughtySempai »»
Mar 15, 2023 12:38 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 16 Discussion

Zaphkiel_El_Rem - Sep 15, 2021

1 by Playcool »»
Aug 17, 2022 4:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.